Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Wizard posted:

What exactly did FLG and Reece do?

One of their employees used an totenkopf (the symbol of the SS) on a Knight. There was some passage of time, and then a picture of the Knight was used on a website for promotional purposes. People noticed. They pointed it out and said "What are you doing FLG?"

On those facts, there's a plausible argument FLG might have not done anything intentionally wrong and don't deserve a boycott. The totenkopf hugs the edge of popular knowledge - while it is offensive and not at all okay to use, a lot of people wouldn't know what it was making it plausible that its use was a mistake. On that point, the guy who painted it was Asian (I think?), so it probably wasn't a white nationalist trying to slip something in.

In short, a response from FLG along the lines of "Oh wow, using Nazi symbols is not okay. We're so sorry," was what they needed. What they went with is that there's nothing wrong with using Nazi iconography on 40k models.

So screw 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

The doctor is in:

I love all your 4th Company stuff my dude

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

adamantium|wang posted:

I love all your 4th Company stuff my dude

Thank you man, glad you like :)

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Giant Isopod posted:

I mean, that's enough really

Agreed, but I had heard he was a shithead even before that incident, and I'm thirsty for that dirt

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TheBigAristotle posted:

Agreed, but I had heard he was a shithead even before that incident, and I'm thirsty for that dirt

Like, CHUDdy or just lovely?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Strobe posted:

5s rerolling 1s: 7/18
5s rerolling fails: 5/9
4s rerolling 1s: 7/12
4s rerolling fails: 3/4
3s rerolling 1s: 7/9
3s rerolling fails: 8/9
2s rerolling: 35/36

Any penalties to hit make it messier, but that's the basic permutations.

Thank you friend.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Reece gets a salty and does some not great ITC rulings because of it. He certainly gets ideas and opinions and never really changes them, so it would make sense he would defend him dumb employee. Thier bro culture store wasnt the best but has certainly grown up in the last couple years. What he has done is create a flagship event and event circuit that caught GWs attention and now is able to give feedback to the source. I barely but anything from FLG so whatever and the mats I own I won.

He was tone deaf during this nazi stuff before we had Trump encouraging that behavior (this is now a trump thread), but I think he has some people around him to make sure he doesnt let his stubborn self go too far down bad paths.

So :iiam:? I'm certainly on guard about a lot of the toxic poo poo in the hobby, but Reece is pretty low on the meter and without him and his people we wouldnt have the ITC and the explosion of players with it.

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart

Maneck posted:

In short, a response from FLG along the lines of "Oh wow, using Nazi symbols is not okay. We're so sorry," was what they needed. What they went with is that there's nothing wrong with using Nazi iconography on 40k models.

So screw 'em.

Wow, ya that sounds pretty bad :eek:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Maneck posted:

So screw 'em.

That sucks, his annoying voice aside, Reece seemed amiable enough and I loved FLG as a one stop aggregator for 40k.

Rip

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It looks like the GSC Neophyte box (the one with 10 guys and a bunch of shotguns and autoguns and such) has maybe 19 heads and the Hybrid Upgrade sprue has 14, are they uniques or are they repeats of the ones in other boxes?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I don’t like nazis.

I do like the people in this thread.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
If you are defending nazi or fashist related imagery for the sake of anything 40k something really went wrong in your life.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018

Schadenboner posted:

It looks like the GSC Neophyte box (the one with 10 guys and a bunch of shotguns and autoguns and such) has maybe 19 heads and the Hybrid Upgrade sprue has 14, are they uniques or are they repeats of the ones in other boxes?

The upgrade sprue heads are all unique. Which is a shame because they’re designed to go on guardsmen bodies and don’t fit on other GSC stuff without a lot of work.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Let p = chance of success
Reroll 1s = p + (1/6) × p = 7/6×p
Reroll Misses = p + (1-p) × p = p + (p - p^2) = 2p - p^2

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

40k has so many skulls, why pick the SS one?

That dummy.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

moths posted:

40k has so many skulls, why pick the SS one?

That dummy.

If the dude who painted it was from Asia (or poo poo, was from pretty much anywhere that isn't Germany and is on the young end,) he could have just googled for something and thought it looked cool without knowing what it was from.

Which is why "oh poo poo we hosed up everybody, sorry" is the correct response!

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Didn’t flg gently caress over table war somehow too?

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

The problem with w40K's satire of fascism, is that it doesn't half attract fascists.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm completely on board with the gently caress him for that camp, but I do also remember people saying it was part of a pattern at the time and not like a first thing that was surprising.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Speaking of mats I found the perfect one for R0ckfish https://www.instagram.com/p/BuJv4-AHMwD/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1uxk1wsgtxgx2

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

dexefiend posted:

Let p = chance of success
Reroll 1s = p + (1/6) × p = 7/6×p
Reroll Misses = p + (1-p) × p = p + (p - p^2) = 2p - p^2

Heck yeah maths

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
After listening to this week's badcast and then attempting to watch two different battle reports, I think I agree with the bad boys - there desperately needs to be a cut-down version of all of these.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

The Deleter posted:

After listening to this week's badcast and then attempting to watch two different battle reports, I think I agree with the bad boys - there desperately needs to be a cut-down version of all of these.

I haven't listened to that badcast yet, but it is super obnoxious that most batreps are 2 hours or more. I try to comb YouTube for shorter ones occasionally and have found a few I like that are sub 1 hour. I can't understand how someone could watch anything much longer.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Mef989 posted:

I haven't listened to that badcast yet, but it is super obnoxious that most batreps are 2 hours or more. I try to comb YouTube for shorter ones occasionally and have found a few I like that are sub 1 hour. I can't understand how someone could watch anything much longer.

If I'm painting for 3 or 4 hours a 2 hour batrep is fine.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Booley posted:

Yeah.

I disagree with the bad cast idea that they need to be short highlight clips. I’m generally using them for entertainment on the second monitor while I do something else.

I agree the people doing the report need to have chemistry and explain their stuff. Tabletop Tactics is pretty much the only battle reports I can stand to watch.

On the other hand I wouldn’t say no to condensed TT games that included expanded discussion. I think that is the most interesting part, breaking down thoughts on strategy and other units.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

On the other hand I wouldn’t say no to condensed TT games that included expanded discussion. I think that is the most interesting part, breaking down thoughts on strategy and other units.

As a relatively new (bad) player, I would absolutely like to know more of the thought process that goes into why certain moves were made. Especially because a lot of the time your plans are foiled by dice, so it isn't self-evident what the player's original aim was.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
What's the consensus on miniwargaming's batreps? Theirs are the only ones I've really watched, and they seem to do a fine job editing out dead air. They still include every movement and dice roll, so they're usually just shy of two hours, but they rarely just sit there and think without discussing tactics or talking about their different options.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Duct Tape posted:

What's the consensus on miniwargaming's batreps? Theirs are the only ones I've really watched, and they seem to do a fine job editing out dead air. They still include every movement and dice roll, so they're usually just shy of two hours, but they rarely just sit there and think without discussing tactics or talking about their different options.

I started with them years ago but kind of fell away after a while.

Tabletop Tactics and Winters SEO are where it's at.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Like they said on the show, I'm glad there are people doing 3 hour videos - hell I sometimes throw one on and switch tabs while playing KeyForge. But personally I'd be way more interested in a 15 minute highlight reel to actually watch. I kind of prefer to paint with music on anyways

Giant Isopod posted:

As a relatively new (bad) player, I would absolutely like to know more of the thought process that goes into why certain moves were made. Especially because a lot of the time your plans are foiled by dice, so it isn't self-evident what the player's original aim was.

I think MiniWargaming has this, but you have to be a Patreon supporter to get it. I've considered it, but I typically only watch certain battle rep match ups that interest me which is only like 1/5 of their content (if that). So I don't know if it's worth paying for :shrug: Any of you guys try it?

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Deified Data posted:

I started with them years ago but kind of fell away after a while.

Tabletop Tactics and Winters SEO are where it's at.
Cool, I'll give them a shot.

Sab669 posted:

Like they said on the show, I'm glad there are people doing 3 hour videos - hell I sometimes throw one on and switch tabs while playing KeyForge. But personally I'd be way more interested in a 15 minute highlight reel to actually watch. I kind of prefer to paint with music on anyways

I think MiniWargaming has this, but you have to be a Patreon supporter to get it. I've considered it, but I typically only watch certain battle rep match ups that interest me which is only like 1/5 of their content (if that). So I don't know if it's worth paying for :shrug: Any of you guys try it?
I've not dropped money on it, but I think they do a post-batrep discussion after each match. Not sure if it's just chatting for 15 minutes, or if it's an actual highlight reel with commentary. I'd obviously prefer the latter.

I've thought about subscribing a number of times, but $5-8 per month is a lot considering this sort of content is typically free on YouTube.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

That would be amazing, I will have to keep that in mind for when I get a place I can fit a proper table in.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Duct Tape posted:

Cool, I'll give them a shot.

I've thought about subscribing a number of times, but $5-8 per month is a lot considering this sort of content is typically free on YouTube.

It’s a weird capitalism thing where comparing the content you get from that channel, for that amount of money, is absurdly smaller than stuff like Netflix or amazon prime.

But on the other hand, the battle report price is kind of small considering the amount of equipment and time it takes to produce that content.

I subscribe to Tabletop Tactics, at the least I like supporting them, even if I am kind of broke.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Also Ork Boyz are really loving good and other units just don’t seem to kill at the efficiency they do. They are comically more efficient than most other Ork units and generally are only a bit less resilient.

I’d argue I think it would be possible to be successful at tournaments running just a loving grip of boys and ignoring most all other units. But idk stuff like the bajillion eldar flyers list might be a problem.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I've considered subscribing to Winters things cuz I really enjoy his batreps, but he's basically asking for half of the cost of Netflix or Amazon Prime, which is just loving absurd. It'd be a much tougher choice if he was charging a couple dollars a month. I have to feel like you'd have enough subscribers willing to buy in at a lower price point that he would end up making his money back.

People always talk about a cup of coffee, but the reality is if I subscribe or patreon every podcast or YouTube channel that I follow actively you'd be looking at 200 to $300 a month, probably. I've been told to blame YouTube for killing ad Revenue.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

But on the other hand, the battle report price is kind of small considering the amount of equipment and time it takes to produce that content.

There's definitely a high cost to entry. I think what you need to do is just get a few "Last Year's Greatest" phones to record on - something that looks decent enough in 1080p and just set up a couple tripods. Do all your dice in front of 1, and make sure the others have good views of the battle fields from each corner. It would suck to have to physically play around that, but then you're recording to produce a video. So while it is a game, it's definitely work. Then either edit out or significantly speed up all the unimportant stuff.

A lot of work and at least $1000 cash to get started, and that's not counting the Time to edit it. But if it was well done I'd pay $5 for. I probably wouldn't maintain the sub all year round, but something I'd pay up for periodically -- but I'm that way with Netflix, too.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Booley posted:

I usually have a hard time following them if I'm not actively watching since I tend to focus on my painting miss things, same with tv shows. I usually stick to audiobooks for painting.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Best battle reports I've seen are done by Arcane Assist. They record the game on camera, without audio. Then the players provide a commentary track over the game while it plays back at double speed. They have a Pateron for $1 a month, and post everything on Youtube after a short delay.

The hitch is that they mostly play Warmachine, which by its nature lends itself much better to video battle reports.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Maneck posted:

Best battle reports I've seen are done by Arcane Assist. They record the game on camera, without audio. Then the players provide a commentary track over the game while it plays back at double speed. They have a Pateron for $1 a month, and post everything on Youtube after a short delay.

The hitch is that they mostly play Warmachine, which by its nature lends itself much better to video battle reports.

That’s a cool idea.

Why does war machine lend itself more to video battle reports?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Trukk done! I am probably gonna take a break from them, mostly as I have spent the last 5 months painting the same colours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Tabletop Tactics posted a Deathwatch battle report that was torture for me. I won't spoil but it's insane how often crucial rolls went haywire.

Agree that it's good for long painting or second monitor fodder