Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

The only plat I ever got was for Saints Row: The Third on PS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Wolfsheim posted:

FFVI might be my favorite game ever and while I'm kinda sad they never followed up on it all the sequel stuff they did for FFVII and FFIV is so bad that it might be a blessing in disguise.

I still would've loved a remake in the vein of FFIV DS though, terrible voice acted cutscenes and all.

:agreed:
:same:
:yeah:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I only respect people who plat Persona 5

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

God of War has one of the least useful fast travel systems I’ve ever seen

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah for absolutely ages I just thought I wasn’t using it properly and I’d missed a trick somewhere but then I looked it up and realised it’s just really badly done.

If you’re moving around the Lake of Nine it’s absolutely not worth using the fast travel ever.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

How far along in the game am I? A severed head told me I’m supposed to go find a magic chisel I’m enjoying the game overall but some stuff about it bugs me

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

You are extremely early in the game.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I was really enjoying Okami HD and figured I might as well go for the platinum but I ended up missing a single enemy that only appears once in a temporary dungeon, which means needing to go through ng+. I also couldn't beat the final race, and threw up my hands as not being worth spending more time going for. Absolutely fantastic game though, I'm glad I finally got around to playing it a decade late.

I'm also increasingly certain that its mandatory that all games made in Japan must include fishing minigames.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Pablo Nergigante posted:

How far along in the game am I? A severed head told me I’m supposed to go find a magic chisel I’m enjoying the game overall but some stuff about it bugs me

You're 1/3 through, but the princess is in another castle.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SLOSifl posted:

You are extremely early in the game.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Goddamn

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I see aliennation on sale. Is it good couch coop? I'd like to play with an 8 year old so how complicated is it? Controls and powerwise. She cant manage a lot of cooldown timers but just twinstick shooting is fine

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Holy poo poo, I just got a "legendary labor" around that same time and I filled out most of the skill tree, and I thought was near the end, how is that only 1/3 of the way through

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Holy poo poo, I just got a "legendary labor" around that same time and I filled out most of the skill tree, and I thought was near the end, how is that only 1/3 of the way through

You'll see

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Lobok posted:

I had never received a platinum trophy before until I got one in AC Origins and when it popped up this guy at work who's a real trophy hound messaged me through the PS app to congratulate me.

your e-penis is now hypothetically bigger in his mind, which translates to newfound wealth and glory. you may also now engage in sexual intercourse with his wife

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Big Bidness posted:

I’m finally playing Rise of the Tomb Raider, and holy poo poo I can’t believe how bad the writing is. The bad guys are straight out of a direct to video 90s action movie, without any of the fun.

Between the lousy characters and lack of narrative momentum, I don’t think I’ll be able to finish it. The bow is still fun and I like the tombs, but they really beefed it on this one. And I really liked TR 2013.

Play the baba yaga dlc its the best part. Then quit

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bombadilillo posted:

I see aliennation on sale. Is it good couch coop? I'd like to play with an 8 year old so how complicated is it? Controls and powerwise. She cant manage a lot of cooldown timers but just twinstick shooting is fine

Its extremely good but tough

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah with a kid, I don’t know. That game is fun and not incredibly complex but it’s pretty rough at times. In my experience when the difficulty got tough is exactly when I stopped playing because the fun disappeared.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Big Bidness posted:

I’m finally playing Rise of the Tomb Raider, and holy poo poo I can’t believe how bad the writing is. The bad guys are straight out of a direct to video 90s action movie, without any of the fun.

Between the lousy characters and lack of narrative momentum, I don’t think I’ll be able to finish it. The bow is still fun and I like the tombs, but they really beefed it on this one. And I really liked TR 2013.

Rise has its moments but it really says something how I will go back and 100% TR2013 for fun and the only thing I keep Rise installed for is the VR house tour.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rise is the most disappointing sequel I’ve ever played.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah with a kid, I don’t know. That game is fun and not incredibly complex but it’s pretty rough at times. In my experience when the difficulty got tough is exactly when I stopped playing because the fun disappeared.

How long til you hit that difficulty wall?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bombadilillo posted:

How long til you hit that difficulty wall?

Hmm it’s been a while but from what I remember I played for at least 7-8 hours before I started to hit the little frustrations. Someone else should chime in though because I only played around release and I’m sure there have been updates and whatnot.

It is a fun game though. Feels all around awesome to play once you get used to the flow of it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

There are difficulty levels too you can play it all on easy if you want

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Rise is the most disappointing sequel I’ve ever played.

I felt like it was "fine" despite it being kind of like playing some too-serious but still loving dumb Stallone action film plot. I wasn't overly disappointed in the same way I was with something like Dawn of War 3, which was actual dogshit.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
So that was YaKiwami. Final stats said I did a 16 hour run with around 29% completion, but I didn't care about most of the sidestuff in this game except for Majima, which I'm going to do some more later, so it's ok. It really felt like an epilogue to 0 and, weirdest of it all, like a finale for the series as they cleaned the whole loving house of the Tojo Clan, and Kiryu just hosed off. I figure 2 might be about rebuilding it because, unless I'm missing someone, the only known named characters that remained were Majima and the new Chairman.

Overall, a solid B+ game, with some very weird gameplay decisions that drag the beginning somewhat. Sidestory content is mostly barren but the main story is a bullet train from the start and, much like 0, a bombastic finish.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You'd think but 2 is about something else entirely

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'm so excited for people who are going to experience Yakuza 2 for the first time.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

man nurse posted:

I'm so excited for people who are going to experience Yakuza 2 for the first time.

I am very hype to battle many koreans

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

I'm having a problem with my controllers lately. Every so often they just sort of jam. Like, I'll release an analogue stick and the game will continue to behave as if the stick is still being held down for a couple of seconds, and not respond to other commands. It doesn't seem to be consistent with a particular game or event - it happens in God Of War and Spelunky equally. Anyone know what might cause this? It happens with any DS4, and there have been no recent changes to my setup or arrangement of devices.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

homeless snail posted:

You'd think but 2 is about something else entirely

man nurse posted:

Motherfucking hell, this is going to be a long wait, I honestly have no idea what it could even be, aside from the huge blonde kid from 0 starting some poo poo, from what I saw in the trailer.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

Motherfucking hell, this is going to be a long wait, I honestly have no idea what it could even be, aside from the huge blonde kid from 0 starting some poo poo, from what I saw in the trailer.
Man it’s weird that so many people are starting the Yakuza series with 0.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Including the devs :v:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but it's also a retroactive prequel made after 5 other main line games. The character of Kiryu is so much more established than he was at the actual beginning of the series back in 2005. Then, 1 was altered to fit with 0. Kiwami 2 is much more similar to the original 2 than Kiwami 1 was, though it adds some (pointless IMO) Majima side story stuff.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nothing involving Majima could possibly be pointless

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

a prequel is a way easier point to jump in on than a game whose title ends in 6, especially with the remakes of 1 and 2 on ps4. it makes a ton of sense that people would jump in on 0

also the popularity of persona and nier last year help pave the way for people to try out other semi-obscure japanese games

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Nothing involving Majima could possibly be pointless
This time it really is. He has just one moveset (mad dog) that is the same through all of it, the backstory of how he went into construction is boring, it introduces some pointless new characters who all die, Majima himself doesn't have many lines and even fewer interesting ones, and he can't do most of the minigames and stuff.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

zero is a better starting point than 1 and in fact might be the greatest sega game of all time

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Also, how is it weird for people to start with the chronological first game of a series that was pretty much dead in the west until last year or so?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

a prequel is a way easier point to jump in on than a game whose title ends in 6, especially with the remakes of 1 and 2 on ps4. it makes a ton of sense that people would jump in on 0

also the popularity of persona and nier last year help pave the way for people to try out other semi-obscure japanese games
Absolutely and people gotta start somewhere, but also the number of times I've seen Yakuza 1 referred to as an epilogue to 0 is buck loving wild and I don't think I'll ever get used to it.

It's like watching all the Star Wars movies in chronological order and concluding that A New Hope is a really good sequel to Rogue One.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I've played 4, 5 up to Saejima in the Woods, 6, 0, and 1, and I personally think that 0 was by far the best game in the series thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

Also, how is it weird for people to start with the chronological first game of a series that was pretty much dead in the west until last year or so?
I mentioned it because of how Ryuji is in a sense introduced, but also Majima. To me it’s very similar to if you started the series at 3 or 5 and got your first impression of Kiryu that way.