Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

davebo posted:

I guess at this price point these are targeted at kids who will actually enjoy playing with the cars after they build them, which certainly makes a 1968-82 Corvette generation an odd choice. Cool-looking cars like the C8-R makes sense though. Interested to see what they look like but I have a feeling I won't be getting them.
Eh, they make plenty of cheaper, simpler, non-licensed cars for kids. The Speed Champions theme is geared kinda more toward adult collectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-vidiyo-sets-found-in-the-wild-in-the-us/amp/

Ahh I want a bunch of those printed 2x2s, the art on some tells me they clearly were made to stand in as vinyls for the AFOLs who don’t care about the gimmick.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Harvey Baldman posted:

I have no idea what the name of them was, but I absolutely remember those weird tongue bits existing when I was a kid with lego, too.

Nice to know I'm not *completely* crazy!

MarxCarl posted:

Here's a Tyco block resource, if you want a to see if anything looks familiar - https://tycotrain.tripod.com/tycosuperblocks/
Bricker may help too - http://bricker.info/osets.html?brand=Tyco%20Super%20Blocks&limit=100

Do you remember if there were any mini figures and if so, what they looked like? Those are usually pretty unique.

Nope. For some reasons all I remember are the tongue-copter and that I seem to recall the box and/or commercial having a mad scientist drawn on it.

EDIT: To clarify, I *think* there was a commercial. May just be an unusually strong memory of the drawn mad scientist dude. But I'm 100% positive - insmuch as memories of thing over 20 years ago can ever be - in the tongue copter and the mad scientist theming. Everything else is '...I think?'

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 16, 2021

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

quote:

You can redeem as many VIP discount vouchers on a single order as you want; however, you can only redeem one physical reward per order on LEGO.com

This rule is dumb. Wish i knew that before redeeming two items on VIP :(

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

w00tazn posted:

This rule is dumb. Wish i knew that before redeeming two items on VIP :(
Yeah, same. I got several expired codes for keychains and minifigs in my inbox.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

God the VIP system is trash now.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Zwille posted:

I see a lot of Cayennes or whatever the SUV abomination Porsches are in Berlin though.

Same

they suck

I'm mad they exist

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Berlin streets are already too small with little parking.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

One of the things that's annoying is the fact that they email you a code. In that email it's just the code. Not what is for and when it expires. In the VIP reward section on their website you can find these codes but they don't get marked 'redeemed' when you use one.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

Both of my sisters decided they wanted a centaur after I showed them, so using the excuse of feeling those out for them I decided to try to complete the rest of the set. Couldn't feel the Space Police, Alien and Beekeeper but found the rest fairly easily, and luckily two more centaurs.

Darth going back to his childhood roots.

I wish the stores were open where I live. :negative: I also want a space police.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Another note on the Lantern Festival set... it likes to use this part where it can, the “PLATES W. BOWS 2X2”. I think mainly because it’s a single part that is two studs high. A pretty weird part otherwise, I’m not sure what the intended use is.

https://brickset.com/parts/4494474/plates-w-bows-2x2

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Zefiel posted:

https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-vidiyo-sets-found-in-the-wild-in-the-us/amp/

Ahh I want a bunch of those printed 2x2s, the art on some tells me they clearly were made to stand in as vinyls for the AFOLs who don’t care about the gimmick.
These are cute. I'm not interested in the app but I'll probably grab one that has a minifigure I like so that I can use the tiles for a record store MOC.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm surprised that people are cold on the Porsche when it seemed like everyone was nuts about the about the aston martin db5 and I thought that one looked like trash compared to this 911.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Cojawfee posted:

I'm surprised that people are cold on the Porsche when it seemed like everyone was nuts about the about the aston martin db5 and I thought that one looked like trash compared to this 911.
Oh don't worry, I still think the 911 is massively nicer than the DB5.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I bought the 911, but i also own almost every other car in this scale from the Creator Expert lineup. Looking at the Ghostbusters car now since it also looks to be the same scale :(

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah I predictably caved and got it. Am somewhat hyped as the speed champions scaled one I ordered along with it arrives tomorrow already. If Lego can’t do the GWP right I guess I gotta do it myself :colbert:

I figured it completes the beetle and camper pretty well, so why not. I’ve taken a liking to the color now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'll only get the 911 if I can get that Amelia Earhart plane with it.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Do those weird tall articulated Technic figures fit in any of the Creator cars?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I don’t have any but I’m told they do!

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

smackfu posted:

Another note on the Lantern Festival set... it likes to use this part where it can, the “PLATES W. BOWS 2X2”. I think mainly because it’s a single part that is two studs high. A pretty weird part otherwise, I’m not sure what the intended use is.

https://brickset.com/parts/4494474/plates-w-bows-2x2

I think it's also used for those internal structures because it's rounded and relatively easy to disassemble (unlike stacked plates, for example). There's a fair few sets that use it in that way actually.

It is an odd part, it looks like it was first used (along with a few variants) as detailing/armour for the Knight's Kingdom big figs in 2004. Kind of makes sense it's from that era of lovely Lego.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

They fit perfectly in the VW Camper, I know that.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

America my whole life.And I definitely seem to recall them being Lego-like in how they connected.
But yeah. Ah well.

I wish there was, like, a single really comprehensive wikipedia just for toys.

Oh gosh, I think I know exactly what you’re talking about... and there were monster trucks with tongues and stuff like that

Like these!

Also those amps are cool as hell! Makes me want to buy some orange pieces for an Orange cabinet, which are my favorites. I wonder if that scale is too small for a brick built pedalboard and guitar to plug a rope cable into...

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I wish there was, like, a single really comprehensive wikipedia just for toys.

This would, no joke, literally save me multiple hours a week at work

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Internet Movie Toy Firearms Database would probably be the only one (other than LEGO) to have the dedicated contributors

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

HobbyDB appears to be trying to be that, but it’s running super slow so I can’t actually check if it’s any good.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

It is an odd part, it looks like it was first used (along with a few variants) as detailing/armour for the Knight's Kingdom big figs in 2004. Kind of makes sense it's from that era of lovely Lego.

Personally held unpopular opinion: figure sets of all kinds are bad, even more modern ones like the Star Wars figures.

Escalating that unpopular opinion: Bionicle are figure sets.

Don’t @ me.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Sort of!

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Blue Moonlight posted:

Personally held unpopular opinion: figure sets of all kinds are bad, even more modern ones like the Star Wars figures.

Escalating that unpopular opinion: Bionicle are figure sets.

Don’t @ me.

I wouldn't say that's an unpopular opinion at all. Bionicles and big fig sets have always been pretty divisive. Hell, I still see Star Wars big figs on clearance occasionally.

I also agree. They're poo poo sets. Some have good parts so I have a few (only if I get them cheap or given to me). I'll make an exception for Slizers and RoboRiders, but only because I was the exact right age when they came out and they have nostalgia, but that's all.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I made another thing! To commemorate the launch of the Porsche 911 set today, here's a conversion to turn your 2019 Speed Champions Porsche into a Targa to match the set! I tried to make this modification as minimally invasive as possible, changing as little as I could. Still, I had to change the rear mudguards so the rear wheels won't spin freely anymore, sorry.

Instructions

Inventory, complete: PDF / XML
Inventory, added parts only: PDF / XML

Also, streaming tonight in an hour (7PM Central)!

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Cojawfee posted:

I'll only get the 911 if I can get that Amelia Earhart plane with it.

That’s my plan as well!

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

The_Doctor posted:

I'm sure your comment was rhetorical, but this is of course by design. It was simply too easy to spend points under the old system, just select at checkout. When you have to go through a process with a website which barely works on a good day and which tries its best to make it hard to find how to do it, then you're less likely to use points, right?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ivantod posted:

I'm sure your comment was rhetorical, but this is of course by design. It was simply too easy to spend points under the old system, just select at checkout. When you have to go through a process with a website which barely works on a good day and which tries its best to make it hard to find how to do it, then you're less likely to use points, right?

I have to imagine you’re right to a degree, considering how easy it would have been to rack up points under the old system with many AFOL-oriented sets these days tipping into the £/$100+ bracket. Buy one set, instantly get £/$5 off next time.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

ivantod posted:

If they don't want you to use points, why offer them to begin with?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

uXs posted:

If they don't want you to use points, why offer them to begin with?

New to marketing? Entice people in with offers, vouchers and bargains so they think they're getting a good deal. You'll make more in extra sales than you lose to the offer.

Take double VIP points, and how evidently loads of people here make big purchases to 'take advantage' of them (myself included). Lego gains a big boost in sales for their big sets on which their margin of profit is higher, for the sake of what amounts to a slight reduction in profit per set sold. They're still way ahead.

That's not counting the amount of people who get points then forget about them or don't use them before they lapse.

\/ Edit: case in point, thanks guy \/

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 17, 2021

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ugh I forgot about my VIP points when I ordered the new 911.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

So I ordered what I thought was all the pieces I would need to make my Monster Hunters Ghost Train powered. Just to find out that it's wheels aren't compatible with the Lego tracks! WTH? Why would they do that? I think I just remembered why I abandoned this project before starting it years ago.

Time to make another order and wait... Blarg.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

RodShaft posted:

So I ordered what I thought was all the pieces I would need to make my Monster Hunters Ghost Train powered. Just to find out that it's wheels aren't compatible with the Lego tracks! WTH? Why would they do that? I think I just remembered why I abandoned this project before starting it years ago.

Time to make another order and wait... Blarg.

Maybe you used a different method than I did but my hidden side ghost train works. I just stuck the normal power functions train motor under the rear of the engine. All the other cars fit fine. Or is this a different train?

Edit: the set I got even came with a station with some straight tracks that are the same as the normal tracks.

Double edit: vvv oh yeah, that's a completely different train, sorry

davebo fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 17, 2021

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I remember a couple mods of that set getting posted in here when it was out; I'm not sure if this was one of them?

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/74702-mod-9v-motorized-monster-fighters-ghost-train/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

One of the less obvious annoyances in the newer system that most people won’t encounter is that your VIP accounts are now regionally locked. I live 50/50 in the UK and US (in the pre-pandemic times) and it didn’t matter where I would redeem points. 100 points would get me $5 or £5 off. Now, since the change, my account is US only for some reason (I’m not sure why) and I can only redeem US dollar vouchers. If I go onto the UK VIP reward centre, I get very few options (mostly just Legoland and Lego House tickets). I did speak to customer support once and they said it couldn’t be changed without a lot of hassle (which I don’t believe).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Built my li'l Targa! I was able to find all the pieces I need in my own collection (with a couple poached off other MOCs).

I also refined the mod / instructions so that this conversion only requires 20 additional parts that don't already come in the set (the previous version required 30).

Updated instructions! - necessary additional parts on page 2.