Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
According to one of the supplements for the roleplaying game, the Witcher Project was originally about creating a race of super-wizards. When the test subjects turned out to be not great at magic, they were like "Well, at least we found a way to dispose of unwanted orphan boys and keep the highway clear." I have no idea if that accords with Sapkowski's vision. I think pretty much all wizards consider monster slaying for public safety to be beneath them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Jimmy Noskill posted:

I'm one of the few weirdos who prefers Witcher 2 to Witcher 3. I found all of the grand political machinations (of which your character is mostly in the dark) to be a lot more compelling and down-to-earth than Witcher 3's "save the world" plot. Having the Wild Hunt as a mysterious B-plot lingering in the background also added a certain mystique that the third game lacked. Of course, I had already played the first game and had some familiarity with the setting, so it may have been easier for me.

Also, I've never seen any game attempt (much less succeed at) something as ambitious as the Act 2 split. Finally seeing both acts and having all of the pieces fall into place was a moment that I'll remember forever.

I liked Witcher 2 a lot, but I played it after W3 (which I personally consider to be the best game ever made), and there was just too much comparative jank for me. If they were to remaster it (and completely rework the armor/inventory system) I'd happily play it again.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

heh...classic Gerald. :beerpal:

"ooh. this long one on your back, where'd you get THAT scar?"
"uh... that's not a story i can tell within earshot of your boss"

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Possible Djikstra casting: https://redanianintelligence.com/2020/12/07/the-witcher-casts-wild-hunt-voice-actor-and-more/

And it's a VA from the games.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Halloween Jack posted:

It took me a while to work out that his silver sword is just silver plated. The books acknowledged that the silver swords are fragile weapons, so I wasn't sure. (It would make more sense to just put it on a lance point.)

Silver swords are also mentioned to be meteorite iron, not regular steel, because it can cut ghosts or something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

He'd be a good Siggi.

As a side note, I recently picked up The Tower of Fools by Sapkowski. Has anyone else read it?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

He'd be a good Siggi.

As a side note, I recently picked up The Tower of Fools by Sapkowski. Has anyone else read it?

Yep. Its more of a historical fantasy, because it's set in Central Europe, during really well researched and well portrayed Hussite Wars (Sapkowski was a history professor and it shows), except with added magic and supernatural creatures in the background. Another noticeable thing is that the protagonist is basically Dandelion, except forced to be a bit more competent and mature because he lacks a Geralt who would regularly save his rear end. In general I would say its a bit worse than the Witcher saga, but still a pretty good book that gets more interesting the more you know (or want to know) about Hussite Wars.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

He'd be a good Siggi.

Is that from the Hussite trilogy? Is it in English? I’ve been wanting to pick those books up but didn’t think it was translated.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chaosapiant posted:

Is that from the Hussite trilogy? Is it in English? I’ve been wanting to pick those books up but didn’t think it was translated.

I think the translation is new this year. I was in the bookstore yesterday and it was in English.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
There hasn't been any word on what the next gen patch would do for PC, right? Just that the game's getting a next gen version at some point and it will impact PC?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Presumably some raytracing enhancements and a texture upgrade. Or possibly a full blown Enhanced Edition overhaul of gameplay mechanics.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

Presumably some raytracing enhancements and a texture upgrade. Or possibly a full blown Enhanced Edition overhaul of gameplay mechanics.

I remember reading “ray tracing and other enhancements” so I’d assume RT, DLSS 2.0 and probably a high res texture option. I wouldn’t expect gameplay changes.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Pyromancer posted:

Silver swords are also mentioned to be meteorite iron, not regular steel, because it can cut ghosts or something.

You mean steel swords, not silver.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Staltran posted:

You mean steel swords, not silver.

quote:

It's said, spitefully, the silver one is for monsters and the iron for humans. But that's wrong. As there are monsters which can be struck down only with a silver blade, so there are those for whom iron is lethal. And, Iola, not just any iron, it must come from a meteorite.
Maybe the silver sword is also meteorite, or he needs third sword out of regular steel for fighting humans. Meteorite iron doesn't harden like steel and is slightly softer than even unhardened steel so he'd dent his sword all over.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 8, 2020

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Pyromancer posted:

Maybe the silver sword is also meteorite, or he needs third sword out of regular steel for fighting humans. Meteorite iron doesn't harden like steel and is slightly softer than even unhardened steel so he'd dent his sword all over.

At the end of Season of Storms, Geralt stabs a monster on the ground with both swords.

Geralt also says that they use meteorite because when is falls to earth it travels through all the elemental planes surrounding the planet, so it's infused with their aura and can hurt beings from those other planes.

Mike the TV fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 8, 2020

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pyromancer posted:

This is saying that his steel swords are meteorite (and Witcher 1 corroborates this when crafting steel swords) and silver swords do not. Witchers do not need/use another sword for humans, as they are not designed to kill humans. That said, their steel swords work just fine for humans as well so that’s what they use when their back is against the wall.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
I know "silver for monsters; steel for humans" sounds cool, but is there a mechanical reason for that? A silver(ed) sword still pokes holes in humans nicely. And in-game, you auto-draw, so it's just another inventory slot to fill. Especially if you're like me and need your swords to be a matching set.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Silver is softer than steel, making it do less damage to non-monsters and also more easily damaged by enemies' swords.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cobalt-60 posted:

I know "silver for monsters; steel for humans" sounds cool, but is there a mechanical reason for that? A silver(ed) sword still pokes holes in humans nicely. And in-game, you auto-draw, so it's just another inventory slot to fill. Especially if you're like me and need your swords to be a matching set.

In the games it's literally just a mechanic. In the books Geralt barely uses his silver sword and usually keeps it with his pack on Roach.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
storm of swords is the only book that really focuses in his swords, and the focus is that they were stolen from him and hes pissed because theyre extremely specifically engineered tools for his trade

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cobalt-60 posted:

i prefer using swords from two different sets. i trained under the monhun school of witchers lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
using aerondight on every enemy ftw

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The only time I can think of using different swords really being a mechanical nuance in Witcher 3 (besides "whoops pressed left instead of right") is when a leshen summons wolves. Not really a big deal, though.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Leshen summoned wolves have a silver health bar don't they?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Playing this for the first time in 5 years. I bought it originally on the PS4 and about 30 to 40 hours into the game a major quest bug occurred that disallowed me from continuing the main story. I got it for free on GOG by linking my Sony account.

Hopefully it works better this time.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Oldstench posted:

Playing this for the first time in 5 years. I bought it originally on the PS4 and about 30 to 40 hours into the game a major quest bug occurred that disallowed me from continuing the main story. I got it for free on GOG by linking my Sony account.

Hopefully it works better this time.

It will, it was a rough launch but CDPR fixed everything important

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It will, it was a rough launch but CDPR fixed everything important

lol already ran into a bug. The abandoned site south of White Orchard didn't load all the monsters in until I saved/reloaded. I hope this was just a fluke. :)

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I went back to play W3 in the days leading up to Cyberpunk and while it's a much better game now than it was at release, it still has it's share of bugs, especially where Roach is concerned. It's still one of my favorite games of all time though.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Oldstench posted:

lol already ran into a bug. The abandoned site south of White Orchard didn't load all the monsters in until I saved/reloaded. I hope this was just a fluke. :)

Is this the one with the shrine on the side of the road? Most consistent bug in the game I can think of. Just waiting an hour usually fixes it though.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Is this the one with the shrine on the side of the road? Most consistent bug in the game I can think of. Just waiting an hour usually fixes it though.

Yeah it was that one. Just ran into another bug. When you are called in for your first meeting with Emhyr var Emreis, my only options are bow or not bow. I don't have an option to helicopter my dong in his face.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Oldstench posted:

I don't have an option to helicopter my dong in his face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMiJWMWfky4&t=110s

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Oldstench posted:

Yeah it was that one. Just ran into another bug. When you are called in for your first meeting with Emhyr var Emreis, my only options are bow or not bow.

always bow wrong on purpose lol

How!
Oct 29, 2009

This is probably the only game I’ve gotten the best ending in, because all you really have to do is be decent to your loved ones.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cobalt-60 posted:

Actually, it’s silver for monsters and steel for monsters. The whole “steel for humans” bit comes out of sarcasm/spite of the Witcher profession. It’s primary because steel is fine for most monsters and silver for the few that are only susceptible to silver.

The books have a good scene where Geralt is explaining how his swords work to someone and it’s neat how much Witchers are mythologized. poo poo like they don’t have emotions and steel for monsters are misunderstandings on how they work.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The bit about Witcher's being infertile and immune to all diseases is 100% true though :wink:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also, "they're both for monsters" can apply to humans as well.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also, "they're both for monsters" can apply to humans as well.

That's almost literally a quote from the final boss in Witcher 1 when you kill him with a silver sword.

I don't remember clearly but I feel like there's at least a couple of lines about "monsters" having a pretty flexible meaning, especially for Geralt "friends with a vampire" of Rivia.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I just rebuilt my PC so I loaded this up to check it out and maybe get around to doing the dlc's. The pop-in on low res textures and wall decorations is really bad... Has it always been this way, or are my settings mucked up?

In Hierarch Square in Novigrad for instance, if I start on one side of the Plaza, as I walk to the other side I see wanted posters and torches just appear as I walk toward them. And walls/windows noticeably switch from low res to high res versions. Is this normal, and any ini tweaks I could do to adjust them?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tender Bender posted:

I just rebuilt my PC so I loaded this up to check it out and maybe get around to doing the dlc's. The pop-in on low res textures and wall decorations is really bad... Has it always been this way, or are my settings mucked up?

In Hierarch Square in Novigrad for instance, if I start on one side of the Plaza, as I walk to the other side I see wanted posters and torches just appear as I walk toward them. And walls/windows noticeably switch from low res to high res versions. Is this normal, and any ini tweaks I could do to adjust them?

There are a number of visual bugs that were never fixed. Novigrad does a really good job of hiding pop-in by making the city really dense so you can't always see far down roads. Hierarch Square and Temple Isle are exceptions since they're these big open plazas and the texture pop=in can get pretty bad.

Your best bet to mitigate the issue is the LOD Bug Fix Collection:

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/4378

There's another mod that boosts the draw distance but it's a resource hog and it's really buggy so I wouldn't recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

There are a number of visual bugs that were never fixed. Novigrad does a really good job of hiding pop-in by making the city really dense so you can't always see far down roads. Hierarch Square and Temple Isle are exceptions since they're these big open plazas and the texture pop=in can get pretty bad.

Your best bet to mitigate the issue is the LOD Bug Fix Collection:

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/4378

There's another mod that boosts the draw distance but it's a resource hog and it's really buggy so I wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks! Looking through this.. It seems like a lot of objects just straight up have the wrong asset as their "far away low res" version?

Any idea if this does anything to your saves? I've never modded this game and do like to crossplay filler stuff on Switch (like treasure hunts, crafting runs, etc)