Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
And you may think I'm crazy for calling it 5uke Nukem, but check out this sweet logo I made

It's ok, you can admit your mind has been changed now

edit:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
"V" is the way they used to write "5" in bible times, so it needs more "V"s

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Duke Nukem
neVer

:v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

edit: They could even do a gag where the cigar fizzles out at the 'Forever' one and Duke's hand comes onscreen to relight it

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Never...Dead! Oh yeah that's already a game. With Megadeth music fittingly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHNLZZMEdH4

Beautiful stuff, dudes, that is inspiring art! Always bet on the quality content in this thread.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

:vince:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
So the guy that made Doom Slayer Chronicles is making a Doom mod based on Blood called Blood: The Curse Hunter. I'm intrigued by the idea of what certainly looks like a Blood Immersive Sim, though based on what I've heard of DSC, I'll probably wait for it to get some reviews.

I've also been interested in the idea of seeing PBR stuff for vanilla Blood textures, I kinda dig how it looks on vanilla Doom textures, and at the very least we should get to see what that looks like.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Weird bonerflex but ok.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

CJacobs posted:

edit: If there was a Miami Vice game made though I'd want it to be third person and control like Max Payne. Please let me dive through the air in slow motion and watch my white sportcoat flutter to the tune of Phil Collins.

I’m sure there is a bullet time mod for Vice City, no?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/doom_txt/status/1068684306707443714

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

CJacobs posted:

People who watch my let's plays and streams and stuff can attest that every time I say I don't think there will be a sequel to something, one is announced in like the next month. So no there won't ever be a 5uke Nukem or a Miami Vice FPS which would be really drat good.

edit: If there was a Miami Vice game made though I'd want it to be third person and control like Max Payne. Please let me dive through the air in slow motion and watch my white sportcoat flutter to the tune of Phil Collins.

There was a pretty fun Resident Evil 4 rip-off Miami Vice title for the PSP way back in the day.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

where's the lie

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Duke done in an MS Paint aesthetic would be excellent.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

treat posted:

Duke done in an MS Paint aesthetic would be excellent.
No lie, a BUILD-engine equivalent of Adventures of Square would be ace, trading off artistic complexity for charm and high quality level design using all that engine's tools and toys. I think somebody was doing an eDuke mod with MSPaint art, but it was more of a puzzle platformer or whatever? I think I only saw level editor screenshots...

GUI posted:

There was a pretty fun Resident Evil 4 rip-off Miami Vice title for the PSP way back in the day.
There was also a separate PS2 game by the same people who did the Beverley Hills Cop FPS for PS2, which is both a thing that exists and probably worse than you're imagining.

Meanwhile, a conversation on the thread discord (in the OP!) led to some detective work with a sad outcome:
https://twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/1068559061392666624

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Has anyone done a cell-shaded game in the build engine?

Also marathon shouldn't be alone, we need more good sci-fi old school shooters. Preferably not grungy sci-fi.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

The old HUD faces were attack direction indicators for people without sound hardware and also as space filler since there was nothing else to put in that space,

That makes me think of the HUD for Amulets and Armor, where they just had a waveform animating for absolutely no game purpose as space filler.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

its weird how huge the heretic hud looks to me these days on a big screen, when back in the old days on my 640x480 monitor, it looked completely reasonable. i think minimal huds have really spoiled me for the artistry of a classic hud.

the hexen one with the chain was really fuckin dope

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Gloomy Rube posted:

That makes me think of the HUD for Amulets and Armor, where they just had a waveform animating for absolutely no game purpose as space filler.

Yeah I liked it when games did something interesting like that rather than just putting the game's logo there or whatever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Back in my day the HUD took up 75% of the screen and we were thankful for it!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah uh, I don’t miss the original Marathon HUD in the slightest

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

To celebrate 20 years of Thief, A Metric Shitload of Fanmissions are incoming

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Awesome. :toot:

Here's to hoping something similar happens in two years for Thief 2.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Anyone looking to dive into Thief 2 fan missions can do so with Thief2x. Just be warned that the first mission really fuckin sucks for some reason. Then it gets super super good. It's a lot like Nameless Mod for Deus Ex in that way

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Anyone looking to dive into Thief 2 fan missions can do so with Thief2x. Just be warned that the first mission really fuckin sucks for some reason. Then it gets super super good. It's a lot like Nameless Mod for Deus Ex in that way

Agreed, it's a loving excellent mod. Press ctrl+shift+end to skip the first level, it's just some spooky docks with no enemies or things to steal.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

david_a posted:

he protec

but he also attac

But most importantly he don't understand that

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

Meanwhile, a conversation on the thread discord (in the OP!) led to some detective work with a sad outcome:

Update the art? That's a shame, especially since I assume we're never seeing that source code.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Negrostrike posted:

Devs said the actress was indeed 14 and today she's an elementary school teacher, married with kids somewhere in southern England. Was looking forward to her return in the new Carmageddon together with whoever Max Damage was, but I guess she refused or they couldn't reach her.

I think they got her for a single publicity shot? I could be wrong.

E: to contribute to a few pages ago, the ideal retro aesthetic is strong pixel art paired with low-poly 3d using style-matched pixel art textures

LvK fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 1, 2018

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
She was on the hop from school when she recorded her stuff for Carma1. For the new game they used their Community Manager and the Lead Dev Nobby for Anna and Max's character art and never managed to get prat cams working.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Kins posted:

Well that's a bummer

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
stephen also mentioned that it wasen't just an art update they wanted, they wanted an art update that is AAA quality (think spyro re-ignited) which like, no??????????? gently caress off???????????

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ETPC posted:

stephen also mentioned that it wasen't just an art update they wanted, they wanted an art update that is AAA quality (think spyro re-ignited) which like, no??????????? gently caress off???????????

How do you even update Bianca Beauchamp’s boobs anyway, they’re already in HD

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

this is just explicitly true, though?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Arivia posted:

How do you even update Bianca Beauchamp’s boobs anyway, they’re already in HD

i guess just copy her model from the source engine game

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
8k 10-bit color HDR subsurface scattering volumetric lighting raytraced tesselated elexis titty

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ETPC posted:

8k 10-bit color HDR subsurface scattering volumetric lighting raytraced tesselated elexis titty

The Kins posted:

Pictured: Curved Surfaces.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Newest Simon's Destiny update looking good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

It's also necessary for the HUD to have the name of the game permanently visible, so that you never forget the name of the game you're playing.