Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Tann posted:

Big update and iOS/Steam release for my dice game! It's approximately as roguelike as "Slay the Spire".

https://tann.fun/games/dice/
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982295

Oh man I am loving doomed with the iOS version out. Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Tann posted:

You can transfer achievements/unlocks via device clipboard in ledger-unlocks

Oh right, i even did that from phone to phone and completely forgot. Cheers and good luck with the sales!

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Good thing I caught up on the thread before blindly posting, I would have Kramered in here with “Slice n Dice” just got a huge update omg!! Here’s the link!”

:Sweat:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

thats ok theres no such thing as too much slice n dice its my fav RL

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

is it normal that I couldn't figure out how to play it?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Its pretty straightforward, no?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

no its pretty simple and good at explaining its mechanics

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Meowywitch posted:

Normal? Who knows. Funny? Well yeah a little bit

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tann posted:

Big update and iOS/Steam release for my dice game! It's approximately as roguelike as "Slay the Spire".

https://tann.fun/games/dice/
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982295

You've done a bad, terrible thing to us here, Tann. I figured I'd try the iOS version quickly on the toilet, and 45 minutes later realized my rear end and legs were numb. People are going to die!

Seriously, Slice & Dice is like god drat digital crack. It's so good, and exactly what I was looking for a few days ago when I posted about wanting more dice placement games.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
How complete is Chrono Ark at the moment? Somehow it went under my radar all this time and it seems people really like it

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

So I bought the slicey dicey game and played it for one go last night. I made it to a group with three witches (?) or something, one of them kept summoning wolves and the two others cast magic missiles or some poo poo and all my pixel mans died horribly :smith:

Gotta try again tonight I guess

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Ah yeah, that boss can be nasty if you don't know what to expect. Not a lot of encounters can throw summons, poison, weakness, aoe, and big spike damage at you simultaneously.

Keep at it! You'll get them next time.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I got a win on Slice & Dice on my first game. On easy.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Some party makeups are more straightforward than others, but it’s a good idea to check enemy dice at the start of a fight. The witches are a bit of a difficulty spike and require some planning

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Azran posted:

How complete is Chrono Ark at the moment? Somehow it went under my radar all this time and it seems people really like it

Mostly There save for True Ending shenanigans, maybe some playable characters, misc bonuses, etc---they've been Nearly There a number of times now, but it really does feel like the final push could arrive any day/week/month now.

Cataclysm: Bright Nights also does a big update v0.6.0 in a bid to devour the time of people not losing everything to Slice & Dice:

https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN/releases/tag/v0.6.0

Changelog is big, but Unwieldy Style...so venture within~

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Chrono Ark is like 99% done yeah. I'd say it's safe to play now but it is a bit bummer if you manage to fully do the story (which is quite good imo) and see you only have the bad ending choice at the final boss lol.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Crossposting a bit from the official S&D thread, but I made the mistake of splurge buying and starting up the game after 1 am, so I stayed up until 3 am. The Pilgrim is amazing. And for other new players, there are a decent amount of enemy types who will auto-flee/die if certain conditions are met, so always click on new ones.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Achra

quote:

Sorry for the delay on this one, grinding out a system for 'special locations' in the void -- something is in place now, it just takes a while because I like the idea of them having unique lore-specific enemies, which all have to get created

The hope is to keep pushing these updates and leave early access May 7, lots to do. Thank you everyone for playing, you bring honor to this little niche project, I'm still feeling a lot of gratitude and delight from this

A special location will now be generated on a random peripheral tile in the Void, currently: blood-void, mind-warren, forbidden trod, with some themed enemies & extra treasures

Added more stars to the void
Added Rebel Jambiya, void knife that doubles the target's highest harmful effect
Tengu now also deals 50 lightning damage to a random enemy on attack
Qamar no longer reduces Stasis stacks, now removes Stasis on game turn
Master Teleport no longer reduces Stasis stacks, heal scaling increased (may get merged with astrostoicism)
Psychonaut no longer reduces stasis stacks, removes stasis on dealing Astral damage
Inuqqa reworked, now increases Death damage by 1% per stack of freeze on yourself and the target, and applies freeze to you when you deal death damage, grants protection from damaging freeze-triggered effects
+1 range to staff of astrostasis
serpent chakram now grants a a random ally +20 speed, instead of +5 to all allies (was slowing down mass summon builds)
Eresh 3rd prayer now applies 25 doom to you and summons a MawEresh, no longer deals damage
Worm 1st prayer now applies 20 corrosion to you
Worm applies less corrosion
Agara stand still range reduced to 2
Hadad applies less charge
Yu 3rd prayer no longer divided by Speed
removed some of the damage events from getting processed on allies that are immune to your damage
made some multi-tile effects simultaneous in fast mode
tightened up some more of the gampead stuff, Y always exits out of popup / menus and some other things

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
A new Gameplay Mechanism:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2356780/Dungeon_Clawler/ Demo & EA

quote:

Dungeon Clawler is a Roguelike Claw Machine Deckbuilder. Build your unique deck, fight enemies by grabbing weapons and items from a claw machine and find special artifacts that help you on your quest to reclaim something you lost... Aim carefully to claw your way through this dungeon!

To improve his fortune in gambling, the evil dungeon lord has chopped off your left rabbit paw and wears it as a charm.
Replacing your lost limb with a (t)rusty claw you fight your way through the dungeon to reclaim what's yours!

Dungeon Clawler mixes deck building with a dash of rogue-like mechanics and most importantly: a claw machine.

Deck Building
Build your unique deck to effectively fight an array of different enemies. Choose wisely, as certain items interact with each other as well as the claw machine.

Lucky Charms:
Discover powerful good-luck charms that can quickly change the gameplay and greatly help you on your quest.

Mystery Locations:
Venture into mystery locations and discover treasures as well as strange, dangerous things...

Push Your Luck:
Spend your hard earned coin in the dungeon's pachinko machines - with a bit of luck you might get powerful items which help you on your quest.

Customization & Perma Unlocks:
Visit Grandma, maybe she will knit you a new sweater! Clothing awards unique perks giving you an edge on your next dungeon dive.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
lmao, gaming has gone truly too far this time

e: playing the demo, its current state is kinda dry. but it has some fun ideas like adding magnets to your machine to attract other metal objects which makes them easier to pick it up

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 22, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
*resignedly* this skinner box will probably be pretty good

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

This was a super fun build with lots of chaining effects and interactions.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Chrono Ark is like 99% done yeah. I'd say it's safe to play now but it is a bit bummer if you manage to fully do the story (which is quite good imo) and see you only have the bad ending choice at the final boss lol.

the good ending is like in beta and playable right now, i watched my friend do it the other day. so i assume it's real close to being 100% done for real. there was still a little korean text for them to translate but otherwise it seemed to work fine

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oh, rad. haven't been keeping up for a few months didn't know the real ending was on beta.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Made two purchases recently, one great and the other I suspect is kinda crap. Thing is, they both demonstrate the recent tendency for 'roguelikes! multiple playthroughs! unlocks!'. And while they're in different genres I still feel like comparing them - the good one 'gets it' and has a difficulty that ramps up asap, reasonable playtimes, and metaprog unlocks that open up more complex tools instead of stronger ones, yet also has a 'unlock everything right now' button. The bad game has wasted 6 hours of my life which owners of the game are calling the baby-mode tutorial. gently caress that.

So yea, thanks for hyping up Slice & Dice it's amazing, the demo sold me on it instantly. Any suggested runs I should be doing other than just 'hard mode' - there's so many options!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
whats the bad game...

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Tea Party Crasher posted:

Just looked it up and it seems interesting, but do you have any insight into what it means by inspired by the rule set of net hack? Like is it the same gameplay with different content or what?

That's my understanding; I finished Pathos once and the finale has basically nothing in common with what I've seen people describe as the end of Nethack (the Nethack version sounds cooler). Also I never found a sink in Pathos and it seemed way easier with fewer gotcha deaths than would fit with my impression of Nethack. The easier part might just be reputation/reality mismatch on the Nethack side though, maybe it is actually just as simple to charm an army of dragons and grind all your stuff to infinite over there.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Picked up Achra recently and just got my first win on my second attempt. It said something about entering the second cycle of degradation which I assume is some sort of stacking difficulty modifier and means I just beat easy mode?

I was doing an Electromancy build where I killed stuff mostly just by walking around really quickly. I didn't really understand a lot of what was happening like sometimes I'd shoot lightning at guys I couldn't even see and which were out of the range of electromancy. Apparently my biggest hit was fire even though my only fire damage was my skirt doing 50% of my lightning damage as fire??? Maybe I hit some guy with big negative fire resist or something idk. Anyway it worked

e: oh the long range lightning was my class ability very similar to electromancy

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 23, 2024

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Serephina posted:

The bad game has wasted 6 hours of my life which owners of the game are calling the baby-mode tutorial. gently caress that.

too long for title but they can put it on the back of the box

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

I'm literally dying here without knowing which game is the bad game

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Serephina posted:

So yea, thanks for hyping up Slice & Dice it's amazing, the demo sold me on it instantly. Any suggested runs I should be doing other than just 'hard mode' - there's so many options!

I forget how you unlock it but Blursed mode is extremely fun, and the best way to play IMO. Lets you do some really crazy poo poo right out the gate but scales up the difficulty to match it in a reasonable way

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
tell me what the bad game is so i can play it!!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Snooze Cruise posted:

tell me what the bad game is so i can play it!!

it’s troubleshooter: abandoned children

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

That such a weird name I can’t tell if you’re just bullshittin’

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

nrook posted:

it’s troubleshooter: abandoned children

i am going to murder you. mods this post is a joke. nrook this post is not a joke.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Wafflecopper posted:

Picked up Achra recently and just got my first win on my second attempt. It said something about entering the second cycle of degradation which I assume is some sort of stacking difficulty modifier and means I just beat easy mode?

I was doing an Electromancy build where I killed stuff mostly just by walking around really quickly. I didn't really understand a lot of what was happening like sometimes I'd shoot lightning at guys I couldn't even see and which were out of the range of electromancy. Apparently my biggest hit was fire even though my only fire damage was my skirt doing 50% of my lightning damage as fire??? Maybe I hit some guy with big negative fire resist or something idk. Anyway it worked

e: oh the long range lightning was my class ability very similar to electromancy

yeah zap zap zap zap on step is very good, Nartaka is quite strong.

The different cycles are the difficulty levels, think ascensions or whatnot. They go up to 24. Monsters get harder but you get more XP and a bit of innate life scaling. The Dev has said the first cycle is the intended way to play the game, but a lot of us are pushing onwards and upwards.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Haha guys it's not a RL which is why I didn't mention it.

Terraformers, a single-player 3X game (4X minus the eXterminate part!), very reminiscent of the Terraforming Mars board game and the steam reviews say if you liked TM you'd like this one. First playthrough was a tutorial, sure, then it gave me a huge blurb about unlocked cards with an xp meter filling up (ut oh...) and my second game was the highest unlocked difficulty with a specific objective, but it was just an exercise of numbers-go-up with like 10 goddamn nonsensical resources. Steam thread says I'm still on the baby difficulties, 6 hours in. If it was book, I'd call it 'frictionless', with neither tension nor charm. Mechanically, it's filled with a lot of small red flags that I feel got cargo-culted in as a placeholder for some more driven vision.

Compared to Slice&Dice, with its crystalline vision and where the presence of potentially troublesome mechanics (unlocks, oh no!) is easily hand-waved away by excellent execution.

I've put almost exactly the same amount of time into both games, and being a slow-burn game is no excuse for being boring. I can fire up civ or ck3 and be having murderous fun within minutes, but I feel a lot of pseudo-4x games get away with ill-gotten sales on steam as you might not realize its crap until past the two hour mark.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

yeah zap zap zap zap on step is very good, Nartaka is quite strong.

The different cycles are the difficulty levels, think ascensions or whatnot. They go up to 24. Monsters get harder but you get more XP and a bit of innate life scaling. The Dev has said the first cycle is the intended way to play the game, but a lot of us are pushing onwards and upwards.

I'm doing the exact opposite build now - an Arba Druid that kills everything by standing still and letting an army of summons do all the work. I just cleared a level by zoning in

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

The Prince of Blood got me. I'm not even sure how

How do unlocks work? Are they just random or am I unlocking all these cultures/classes/religions by doing specific things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

The Prince of Blood got me. I'm not even sure how

How do unlocks work? Are they just random or am I unlocking all these cultures/classes/religions by doing specific things?

you're gaining glory by playing the game and that unlocks stuff automatically when you gain enough of it

don't worry about it, you don't have to do anything specific and it will not take you that long to unlock everything