Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

food court bailiff posted:

Steam has taught me that I am very, very bad at Twilight Struggle.

I got it on my phone, decided to play a few AI games to get how the UI and stuff really work.

I lost the first 4 games.

Then I won once as US and as Soviets, and a second time as Soviet with a turn 1 Europe Control victory. The AI is good but too focused on its own scoring cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

GrandpaPants posted:

Boss Monster is to Dungeon Keeper as Munchkin is to Wizardry. That is, a slow, slogging, miserable random number generator with enough trappings of something you enjoy to make you feel betrayed by it.

The closest game to Dungeon Keeper is Dungeon Lords, but it is not a game for beginners.

Dungeon Lords, by the way, is dungeon keeper *themed* but it is a fairly heavy, pretty punishing euro.

Plays best by a large margin with 4 players, I love the game, with or without expansion.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dr. Light posted:

Luckily Forsaken Lore is 'on the boat' so it should be on shelves soon. Really it just adds more general/location encounter cards and a few more mysteries to the core set's Old Ones.

Which is why it's the essential one. The base game GOOs are horribly repetitive without it, having only four Mysteries (of which you'll see three) and IIRC 12 Investigations each. This is corrected with the expansion GOOs, all of which have a bigger set of cards to start with, so once you've played the base game GOOs once each any expansion will do. Every expansion also adds more cards to the Location decks, increasing variety there.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

My reprint copy of 1960: Making of the President (I guess this is the second edition) arrived today! I've always been curious about this game and when I heard they were doing a new edition I put my name on the GMT List thing, like, last summer, and totally forgot about it. A nice surprise on my doorstep, I need to dig into it and see what's in this (bigger than I thought it would be) box!

I currently have a solo game of the first scenario of Arkham Horror LCG set up on my table with my first attempt at building a deck and I am afraid to go back to it because I am fairly certain my death is imminent :v:

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

Jedit posted:

Which is why it's the essential one. The base game GOOs are horribly repetitive without it, having only four Mysteries (of which you'll see three) and IIRC 12 Investigations each. This is corrected with the expansion GOOs, all of which have a bigger set of cards to start with, so once you've played the base game GOOs once each any expansion will do. Every expansion also adds more cards to the Location decks, increasing variety there.

Agreed - we replay the base game GOOs often and Forsaken Lore really mixes things up for them. We played through all four base game GOOs before getting any expansions, and the location encounters started to get REALLY repetitive.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

EBag posted:

Agree with everything that's been said about TIME Stories, it's a mediocre game with poor writing and being forced to replay a scenario it multiple times to finish it sucks. If you want to play something like TIME Stories but also want to play a good game just get Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective instead. The stories are better, you have actual player agency and while the solutions can sometimes be pretty esoteric it's fun to investigate and try to come up with a theory, it really does a good job of making you feel like you're actually trying to solve a crime.

Ah I see, the replay over and over mechanic does sound terrible. I have started working through SHCD already actually, and it has been good. I guess no reason to try time stories then really.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

foutre posted:

Huh, probably won't try Boss Monsters then. I think it was more the theme than having it be particularly accessible that was appealing to me. Dungeon Lords seems like a good alternative take on it though and I've liked all the other Vlaada games I've played. I'll add it to the ever-growing list of games to try sooner or later. I kind of stopped keeping up with board games a while back and it's incredible what's been made in the last ~decade.
I love Dungeon Lords but keep in mind it's pretty rules-heavy. I definitely would not suggest the game if you're looking to play it mostly 2p. The mechanics just don't operate the same without people controlling their own boards. I mean, it's still good, but with 4p is the one of the best WP-puzzle games.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Talas posted:

I love Dungeon Lords but keep in mind it's pretty rules-heavy. I definitely would not suggest the game if you're looking to play it mostly 2p. The mechanics just don't operate the same without people controlling their own boards. I mean, it's still good, but with 4p is the one of the best WP-puzzle games.

How complex is DL in units of Stone Age?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

I would say 1 DL = 3.6 SA

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

PerniciousKnid posted:

About 2pi Codenames worth.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

homullus posted:

I would say 1 DL = 3.6 SA

That's too bad, my wife likes Stone Age but I'm bored of it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

PerniciousKnid posted:

Take a look at Cataan or Concordia. Both scratch the same building-a-place-up itch that Stone Age does. Concordia is nice because there are no dice.

Might enjoy Caverna too, but I think it's more complicated than the others.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Twilight Struggle is currently $7.49 on Steam for the Summer Sale. I literally bought it yesterday.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PerniciousKnid posted:

Get Agricola. Play without the decks at first, to lure your wife in.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

LLSix posted:

Take a look at Cataan or Concordia. Both scratch the same building-a-place-up itch that Stone Age does. Concordia is nice because there are no dice.

Might enjoy Caverna too, but I think it's more complicated than the others.

Agricola didn't go over well, so Caverna is probably out. Thanks!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Viticulture is another worker placement game that people seem to like a lot that's not much weightier than Stone Age.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
So I might just be playing this wrong, but Hanamikoji seems like a bad game. A pretty game, but one with shallow gameplay.

My main issue lies with the second round. The first round is always exciting, but the second round is just a waste of time, and not even fun to play. There are usually only 2 contested points left, and the since 3/4 actions result in you giving cards to your opponent or throwing them away, the person who draws the least useful cards actually wins. It seems completely up to luck of the draw.

Even without this issue, there's far less meaningful decisions overall then Battleline, which is the game it most closely resembles. I'm not sure why I'd ever want to play it over BL.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

PerniciousKnid posted:

You might want to look into Ryan Laukat's series of big-box games. Above and Below is pretty close to Stone Age in terms of complexity and goals, and you can use the pieces from Islebound and Near and Far, which are both a bit different mechanically but "familiar", as variant workers in Above and Below.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

PerniciousKnid posted:

Bored how? Too complex? Not complex enough?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Tormented posted:

That is why Tragedy Looper is a good game! :)

There are even people who agree Tragedy Looper is great but don't have anime avatars, I mean none of them are piping up but they do exist apparently

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Traglooper is very cool and good, says non-anime avatar haver.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Twilight Struggle is currently $7.49 on Steam for the Summer Sale. I literally bought it yesterday.

I did the same thing. Oh well!

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

apophenium posted:

My wife and I played three games of Ticket to Ride: Europe. It was the first time either of us had played a Ticket to Ride game. I found it pretty enjoyable but she got mad at me when I staked a claim on a route near her on the right side of the map after mainly developing on the left. Since we played it three times we've experienced all of the long routes. Not sure how much I'll enjoy it going forward, but she still wants to play it. I won twice and she won the last time.
I've had this exact same thing happen. Some people start playing and see a game where you just build stuff. But blocking is a valid tactic in line with the competitive area control portions of the game.

Hopefully that was enough to show her that she'll want to start building from the most vulnerable portions of her planned route. Plus, if you don't start from an end point, and build out in both directions from what you have down, you keep people guessing where you're going.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Megasabin posted:

So I might just be playing this wrong, but Hanamikoji seems like a bad game. A pretty game, but one with shallow gameplay.

My main issue lies with the second round. The first round is always exciting, but the second round is just a waste of time, and not even fun to play. There are usually only 2 contested points left, and the since 3/4 actions result in you giving cards to your opponent or throwing them away, the person who draws the least useful cards actually wins. It seems completely up to luck of the draw.

Even without this issue, there's far less meaningful decisions overall then Battleline, which is the game it most closely resembles. I'm not sure why I'd ever want to play it over BL.

Are you aware that during the second round, players are still contesting all of the points? If I win the red geisha in round one, my opponent can still play cards to it and take it in round two. I would have to "defend" it.

The second round (or third) plays differently than the first because the geishas are valued differently. If I won the red geisha in round one, I only need to tie on red cards to keep it. It changes your strategy.

Hanamikoji is awesome. I prefer it to Battle Line, etc because it has that little social manipulation twist. Watching an opponent agonize over a choice you've left for them is so satisfying, especially when you secretly know that one of them is worthless.

Medium Style fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 22, 2017

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Played Pixie Queen at a con last weekend. Pretty fun worker placement game.

Everyone leads a group of pixies (3-5 depending on #players) which all live to serve the pixie Queen. They start life in the mines and have to work their way up through the human village where they'll steal food for the queen. The village is a pyramid of 14 action spaces, reaching the top 15th means that pixie will go to serve the queen and give you points (but only 1 pixie per turn can get there). The pixies aren't your actions, however. You have 4 actions per turn and every action in the village takes 2. Any player's pixie in a location will aid your action, so you only need to use 1 action to do it. So moving your guys/girls up will benefit other players, but the higher they're sitting, the more income they'll generate. Then you send one off to serve the queen and your income tanks.

After all the actions are done, the Queen will decide what she'd like to eat, either apples, bread or honey. Then everyone needs to offer food, silver or gold. You can only offer 1 type and if nobody gives her food, nobody gets a reward. If you offered food, you get to move your pixies up as many spaces as you've giving food. If you offer gold or silver, you'll move up the gold/silver track which will lessen the penalties and make it more efficient to create point-scoring rings. When the offering is done, she'll dole out penalties. You get -1 point for every pixie left in the mine (max -2) and penalty points for being low on the silver/gold tracks (cause you didn't give her enough wealth). During the game you only gain negative points, all the scoring happens at the end. There's 3 categories where you can score: pixie sent to the queen, rings made and extra offerings. The sooner you send pixies up and give rings, the more points, while the extra offerings start low and go up as they get more expensive. Then at the very end everyone reveals their left-overs and everyone with the largest stockpile of a resource type gains 3 more negative points.

Gotta say that this 'gimmick' of only scoring negative points doesn't really matter that much mechanically, but thematically it does wonders, cause after busting my rear end all game I ended up winning with just 4 points. There's a real feel of never being good enough to give the Queen what she wants and there is a 'threat' of outright losing the game if you ever get to -60 (she banishes you to the oubliette). The game board looks great and the unlocked stretch goals have let them make custom resource tokens for the bread, honey and apples. Designed by a Belgian, so you know it's good.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

OgreNoah posted:

We played the second scenario for Gloomhaven last night, added a 4th person who normally hates RPGs because it's really stressful for her to remember which of the various values she's supposed to use for which spell/action and what things needed to be added to that etc.

Gloomhaven's incredibly simple combat math really helped her out, and she had a good time, as we all did. We return to Gloomhaven triumphant over our first boss battle!

Are you talking about the mini campaign, or are you one of the ones lucky enough to have a proper copy? Did you find that having four people made it any easier despite the extra enemies?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jedit posted:

This game of Concordia is reminding me why I hate asynchronous play.

Yeah, it is really different. It's the way I usually have to get my gaming in, though, so I'm geting used to it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

gently caress me. I guess I have an incredible talent of causing sales.

I wish Terra Mystica was on sale too.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Tabletop Simulator is on sale on steam at half price. Is it worth getting? There are so many other options to play board games online.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

LLSix posted:

Tabletop Simulator is on sale on steam at half price. Is it worth getting? There are so many other options to play board games online.

It has a huge range of stuff due to the unethical action of users. The actual interface sucks balls for manipulating components and has no rules enforcement. It's kinda cool for hex and chit games that take a long rear end time as you can save the setup, but it's mostly useful for demoing something a couple of times to see if you like it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 Official Announcement

:bubblewoop:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Sloober posted:

My specific issue with TIME stories is it's a 5 dollar concept that costs 20 dollars, because it isn't replayable and you're really not getting much for you money

More like $40-50, for the base set, which includes one whole story/case. And then $20-30 per additional story. It's incredibly poor value for money, especially when you compare to something like SHCD that's around $35-40 for 10 cases and has zero arbitrary randomness.

If it weren't I'd probably check it out just on principle.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

LLSix posted:

If you have people you like to play games with then fun enough. I use it frequently and quite like it. You can try out some games before buying them as one use. There isn't much enforcement, but some games do have to really good scripting that makes things automatic. Plus for some games being able to shuffle decks with a click or two and other things like that is pretty nice. Turn tracker can be nice too.

As well (as I've said to a probably annoying frequency) you can get the Gloomhaven mini-campiagn to either tide you over or check it out. My group has thought it was totally worthwhile to learn the ropes in a low pressure setting before having to put stickers on stuff. This also has the neat benefit of being able to save the table state to either come back to or try again after you're done setting up.

Just make sure you disable table flipping.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

nimby posted:

Played Pixie Queen at a con last weekend. Pretty fun worker placement game.

Isn't this that game that has really strong BSDM undertones? I remember seeing it on Kickstarter and the campaign was basically 100% punishment, whips, and flaying. Does that come through on the gameplay because the pitch just sounded like I'd be playing someone's fetish.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

apophenium posted:

And for my question, I would like to know if there is a recommended order to buy the Eldritch Horror expansions. It seems Forsaken Lore is basically out of stock everywhere, which is a shame. I'm not sure if we have enough table space for one of the big box expansions. Are any of them better than any of the others? It seems like they add tons of stuff to help keep the game fresh, which is what I'm looking for.

To piggyback on Dr. Light, I own Mountains of Madness and Under the Pyramids and can easily say UtP is like 100 times better than MoM, so either way don't get MoM if you want a big box. They kinda fudged it as the first big expansion. The whole point of the big boxes is to add a new area where you can do cool poo poo, and MoM's is just... there. You can go to the fridge if you want. Whereas afaik Dreamlands you can pretty much visit whenever, and UtP literally drags you towards the Pyramids as a mechanic.

So basically skip MoM for a big box, make Forsaken Lore your first small if you can, and then just grab whatever you like. Everything apart from MoM is varying degrees of good.

Also the big boxes add like, a rulebook's worth of table space. It's just a small sideboard and maybe one new deck. Most of the stuff they add is subsumed into the whole.

Single Tight Female fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 23, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Gonna be some giant rear end stickers in that box

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Frush posted:

Are you talking about the mini campaign, or are you one of the ones lucky enough to have a proper copy? Did you find that having four people made it any easier despite the extra enemies?

I managed to get the full game from my LGS, the second of their two copies. Quite lucky. Having the fourth person definitely helped. We did Scoundrel, Spellweaver, Brute, and added Tinkerer. We were also kind of lucky with the boss, who only used Special #1 once when he could have used it 4 times, which would have made the battle much much harder.

Lots of fun!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I have a new appreciation for the polish and quality of the Twilight Struggle steam game after trying Terra Mystica.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Totally missed the internal comparison rule about LS tokens in Wir Sind Das Volk and completely boned myself in one of my games, drat! This game is addicting because there's so many ways to win/lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Single Tight Female posted:

To piggyback on Dr. Light, I own Mountains of Madness and Under the Pyramids and can easily say UtP is like 100 times better than MoM, so either way don't get MoM if you want a big box. They kinda fudged it as the first big expansion. The whole point of the big boxes is to add a new area where you can do cool poo poo, and MoM's is just... there. You can go to the fridge if you want. Whereas afaik Dreamlands you can pretty much visit whenever, and UtP literally drags you towards the Pyramids as a mechanic.

So basically skip MoM for a big box, make Forsaken Lore your first small if you can, and then just grab whatever you like. Everything apart from MoM is varying degrees of good.

Also the big boxes add like, a rulebook's worth of table space. It's just a small sideboard and maybe one new deck. Most of the stuff they add is subsumed into the whole.

Eh. The sideboards are kind of superfluous. Most of the reason to buy Eldritch Horror expansions is More Stuff (tm), particularly investigators and old ones, and big boxes give you more of both than the small boxes. (Small box expansions didn't add investigators at all in Arkham Horror, but that may have changed for Eldritch, I forget - and all my expansion stuff is in one box so that's no help.)