Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

a succulent api endpoint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Paladinus posted:

What's the crime? Calling an API endpoint?

Creating a malicious API endpoint, changing the API call you receive, and forging the signature so it all still works.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Soylent Pudding posted:

Creating a malicious API endpoint, changing the API call you receive, and forging the signature so it all still works.

Next you'll be telling me that creating a website is also a crime.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Paladinus posted:

Next you'll be telling me that creating a website is also a crime.

Jail all web devs, ban all websites.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

half the evidence against them is the steps they took to conceal their identity. they should have just played it straight as a project to protect the community from hft bots.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
May is API heritage month

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Chalks posted:

half the evidence against them is the steps they took to conceal their identity

i love that these indictments are always full of google searches like "how to hide money from irs", "what is wire fraud", "does the bahamas extradite to US", and "are shrimp vegan"

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I swear buttcoins are an amazing source of examples of the difference between intelligence and wisdom

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Soylent Pudding posted:

Jail all web devs, ban all websites.
I’d settle for just the JS devs; web 1.0 allowed like Dune’s prohibition on thinking machines.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Chalks posted:

half the evidence against them is the steps they took to conceal their identity. they should have just played it straight as a project to protect the community from hft bots.

'code is law'.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

NewsNation posted:

Ohio State graduation speaker says he took drugs to write speech

Days before the Sunday ceremony, OSU’s chosen speaker Chris Pan said on LinkedIn that he had taken the psychedelic drug ayahuasca to write his first drafts.

“Got some help from AI (Ayahuasca Intelligence) this week to write my commencement speech for 60,000 grads and family members at Ohio State University next Sunday,” Pan wrote. “Tried ChatGPT but wasn’t that good.”

Pan was billed as a “social entrepreneur, musician and inspirational speaker” on the commencement’s program. But his speech and an on-stage demonstration with OSU President Ted Carter drew boos from the audience, audible in the university’s livestream, as Pan tried to encourage graduates and attendees to buy cryptocurrency.

“Saving is not enough because inflation exploded after the pandemic, which is why everything got so expensive … I see Bitcoin as a very misunderstood asset class,” Pan said. “It is decentralized and finite, which means no government can print more at will.”

It was part of Pan’s pitch for investing, which he said was prevented by internal factors, rather than external like student debt or market conditions.

“The mechanics of investing are actually easy, but it comes down to mindset,” Pan said. “The most common barriers are fear, laziness and closed-mindedness.”

Ohio State spokesperson Ben Johnson declined to comment on Pan’s mention of Bitcoin but clarified that the university does not approve its chosen speaker’s speeches before the ceremony. When asked about Pan’s comments about using psychedelic drugs to create the speech, Johnson said staff viewed his draft versions.

The university’s own coverage of the commencement also made no mention of the crypto commentary. Instead, it focused on other parts of his speech, like his encouragement of civility in society.

lol

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

drk posted:

i love that

:mad:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

drk posted:

i love that these indictments are always full of google searches like "how to hide money from irs", "what is wire fraud", "does the bahamas extradite to US", and "are shrimp vegan"

listen shrimp are basically vegan. you’re telling me that they suffer? that they have rich inner lives of meaning?

no, shrimp is bugs, and bugs are tiny biological robots

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Hammerite posted:

I swear buttcoins are an amazing source of examples of the difference between intelligence and wisdom

to be correct, bitcoiners have neither intelligence nor wisdom

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
dont sign you are post

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cantorsdust posted:

listen shrimp are basically vegan. you’re telling me that they suffer? that they have rich inner lives of meaning?

no, shrimp is bugs, and bugs are tiny biological robots

bugs these days only know how to bite me, eat hot chip and lie

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol "social entrepreneur" what a characteristically lazy renaming attempt, 20 years ago this dude would be trying to sell energy drinks from a suitcase and being oblivious to the tax implications of claiming your meal plan as a business expense despite it being covered by financial aid.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

FAUXTON posted:

lol "social entrepreneur" what a characteristically lazy renaming attempt, 20 years ago this dude would be trying to sell energy drinks from a suitcase and being oblivious to the tax implications of claiming your meal plan as a business expense despite it being covered by financial aid.

20 years ago this literally was my RA except it was energy bars

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

more falafel please posted:

20 years ago this literally was my RA except it was energy bars

if it wasn't everyone's RA it was almost certainly someone's TA during that time lmao

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

thats hosed up

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7GtRPHoj1o

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Matt Levine's newsletter proves SBF is responsible for Red Lobster's bankruptcy.

quote:

Berke’s experience serving a man who put away 16 servings over the course of two hours was actually mild compared with some of the other stories I’ve heard. Josie, 19, who also asked to be anonymous, worked at a (now-shuttered) Kansas City Red Lobster, where she watched a solo diner take down 30 orders of fried shrimp within four hours. According to the nutritional information on Red Lobster’s website, that’s something like 14,000 calories.

“He was a skinny guy too,” Josie said. “I was like, Where is it all going?”

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cheddar bankman fried

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

Matt Levine's newsletter proves SBF is responsible for Red Lobster's bankruptcy.

The competitive eating community has formed a consensus that skinny people are generally capable of eating more, which is referred to as the "fat band hypothesis"

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Tunicate posted:

The competitive eating community has formed a consensus that skinny people are generally capable of eating more, which is referred to as the "fat band hypothesis"

I also assume your metabolism and thus shrimp eating capacity vastly expands when your body is covered in amphetamines patches

...!
Oct 5, 2003

someone needs to make :sbf:

it would be :aaa: but with shrimp flying into the open mouth

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

...! posted:

someone needs to make :sbf:

it would be :aaa: but with shrimp flying into the open mouth

:pastryno::aaa:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

crosspostin'

china wisely bans The Orb

e: lmao

quote:

The watchdog accused Worldcoin of collecting personal data “unfairly,” saying the privacy notice and bio-metric data consent form were not available in Chinese. Worldcoin’s staff operating the iris scanning device also did not give any explanation or confirm participants’ understanding of the documents, it said. Such practices showed that there was a lack of transparency, the PCPD found.

looks like they haven't improved the process at all since they were lying to people in africa about it, great

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 22, 2024

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

Chung called on the public to report to the PCPD immediately if they saw any iris scanning services operated by Worldcoin.

if you encounter The Orb, seek shelter in an interior, windowless room and call emergency services immediately. DO NOT under any circumstances look directly at it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Shame Boy posted:

china wisely bans The Orb
Big Mad they didn’t think of it first

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

anyone suspected of accidental line-of-sight contact with The Orb should report to the nearest civil defense office for neuro-ocular decontamination as soon as the all-clear siren has sounded.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
heh

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shumagorath posted:

Big Mad they didn’t think of it first

the orb doesn't actually do anything though. there were reports a while back about the dogshit quality of worldcoin's biometric data and verification.

china has an entire homegrown system of dubiously functional surveillance and biometrics they've been using for well over a decade. they don't need to steal sam altman's broken bullshit

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

infernal machines posted:

the orb doesn't actually do anything though. there were reports a while back about the dogshit quality of worldcoin's biometric data and verification.

china has an entire homegrown system of dubiously functional surveillance and biometrics they've been using for well over a decade. they don't need to steal sam altman's broken bullshit

imagine if that biometric surveillance system were done via orb tho

:orb:👀

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

infernal machines posted:

specifically it records a bunch of personal information so they can train a neural network on it that will do things at a nebulous future date, iirc

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
whàt does the orb do with all the eyes it liberates

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Boxturret posted:

read Liane the Wayfarer by Jack Vance (spoilers)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Boxturret posted:

wouldn't you like to know

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The real orb was the eyes we ate along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
https://x.com/daveweigel/status/1794505752918229166