Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

sockpuppetclock posted:

In this video, what is the slow sad song that plays from 0:25 onward?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JeLcP7Xa5o

Ennio Morricone's "Come Un Miracolo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison

Perdido posted:

Okay, so there's this Tim McGraw song,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVUlsrtwIkE

The opening riff and the chorus sound ridiculously like another song and it's bugging the hell out of me.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I should mention that I think the chorus and opening bit are two different songs.

I haven't checked the thread in a while but when I heard the opening of the song you posted, I thought it sounded like the opening to Kings of Leon's Sex is on Fire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF0HhrwIwp0

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild

a pwn cocktail posted:

0:29 - 0:34. I'm absolutely certain there is another song that fits that vocal. I think the singer might have been female. Any ideas?

Right before that, like 0:27-0:29, is ripped from "Self Control" by Laura Brannigan, too.

alcoholiday
Apr 25, 2008
French pop people: which song is this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTTFeUUHoJ0

The vocals are mixed too low for me to transliterate/Google.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

alcoholiday posted:

French pop people: which song is this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTTFeUUHoJ0

The vocals are mixed too low for me to transliterate/Google.

That would be the controversial-at-the-time "Je T'aime ... Moi Non Plus" by Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin (who later became Charlotte Gainsbourg's parents)

alcoholiday
Apr 25, 2008
Gah, I thought it might be him, but didn't know where to start in the catalogue. Thanks.

Hitlerpotamus
May 20, 2004
That van was waving at me!
I'm looking around for the 1st song that plays on http://www.crooksncastles.com/ but if someone on here finds it before me, I'll be elated.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I know none of the lyrics to this song but it was recently in a movie and is in a foreign language. Has a beat similar to Ida Maria and has a guy singing. It's on XM a lot. WTF IS IT?

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I've been trying in vain for years to find a song where the lyrics I can remember is (and even these maybe slightly or even completely off) "Everybody is scared of the bomb-a". I remember hearing it around 2000-2001. There was also a video in which I distinctly remember there being a ship. Forgive me if these details are vague, but I was like 7 at the time.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Hello thread.
I hope that you all can help me with this one. I heard this Zappa song about a year ago, and immediately recognized it as having been sampled by either Madlib or MF Doom [I'm pretty sure].

I've been looking for it for quite some time, but have yet to uncover a satisfactory answer.
I've found a short snippet of the track sampled on Madvillian - Madvillainy 2 - Never Go Pop [the version of this track on Youtube has its last 20 seconds cut off, where the sample occurs], but I am almost sure that there is a more extensive use of it elsewhere within their discography.

Thanks a lot goons.

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
I have been hearing a song on the radio here in the UK recently. It is sung by a female singer and the chorus consists of her singing 'some people do x, some people y, some people z' and so forth. It is driving me crackers because I can't remember any more lyrics than that.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Operation Juicebox posted:

I have been hearing a song on the radio here in the UK recently. It is sung by a female singer and the chorus consists of her singing 'some people do x, some people y, some people z' and so forth. It is driving me crackers because I can't remember any more lyrics than that.

"Some People"? They make it, break it, and/or bring it, according to this one.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I was listing to the Das Racist album and the track "nutmeg" had a sample in it I recognized. The song is a take on Ghostface Killah's nutmeg, found here. The sample I'm talking about is at the very begging of the song and repeats through much of it, but I recognize it from some other more recent song I've been listening to lately and I can't for the life of me remember which song it is. I'm sure the sample itself is pretty old, but does anyone know of any more recent songs that use it? I feel like whatever song I'm trying to think of came out at least somewhat recently.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

I was listing to the Das Racist album and the track "nutmeg" had a sample in it I recognized. The song is a take on Ghostface Killah's nutmeg, found here. The sample I'm talking about is at the very begging of the song and repeats through much of it, but I recognize it from some other more recent song I've been listening to lately and I can't for the life of me remember which song it is. I'm sure the sample itself is pretty old, but does anyone know of any more recent songs that use it? I feel like whatever song I'm trying to think of came out at least somewhat recently.

The sample is from "It's Over" by Eddie Holman, which was also used in the Puff Daddy song "What You Gonna Do?", but that's not a particularly recent song, given that he was still Puff Daddy when it came out (1997).

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Anyone remember one horrible 90s eurodance / europop female artist who had an album that was called something like Mirrors? I think the music video of the hit song on that album had the woman walking in a white robe in some sort of dark, blue hued forest. The album art was something like this:

I remember clearly that it had some sort of stylized face on the front with a dark blue back ground. It may've resembled sun or some star too.

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules

tacodaemon posted:

"Some People"? They make it, break it, and/or bring it, according to this one.

Nay, I heard it again today and was lucky enough to overhear the presenter name the song. It was Champion by Chipmunk feat. Chris Brown. And it wasn't a female singer. I was hearing it over other sounds though from quite a distance.

Also I have terrible taste in music.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

tacodaemon posted:

The sample is from "It's Over" by Eddie Holman, which was also used in the Puff Daddy song "What You Gonna Do?", but that's not a particularly recent song, given that he was still Puff Daddy when it came out (1997).

I don't think either of these are what I'm thinking of, but thanks!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ok, here's an oldish one:

I started watching 21 Jump Street, and there's a song I really like in the second episode of season 1 (on Hulu; about 19:51). It almost sounds faith no more-ish. Any ideas? Shazam couldn't get it :/

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

These Loving Eyes posted:

Anyone remember one horrible 90s eurodance / europop female artist who had an album that was called something like Mirrors? I think the music video of the hit song on that album had the woman walking in a white robe in some sort of dark, blue hued forest. The album art was something like this:

I remember clearly that it had some sort of stylized face on the front with a dark blue back ground. It may've resembled sun or some star too.

Almost certain this is X-Perience - Magic Fields. There's a song on the album called Mirror which is probably where you're confused :)

Album art: http://www.discogs.com/X-Perience-Magic-Fields/master/88848

Video: http://rutube.ru/tracks/951571.html?v=f13d5e7fbf7212c19c708a17cb6139d9

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I heard this song in a thrift store then in an Urban Outfitters. The guy's voice sounds just like the guy from The National, but I don't think it's him. It's sparse instrumentally -- just organs and reverb, I think -- the vocal melody is really catchy and kind of drives it. Feels like Depeche Mode meets The National. The organs and everything feel really electronic/synthy than organic.

I can't remember the words to well at all, but I think he repeats the verses quite a bit. Something like "went down on the ground" or "fell down on the ground" and at the end he repeats something like "played by heart" or "play my heart".

I went on Urban Outfitter's site and it's not on any of their streaming things. Any ideas?

Stubby
Oct 7, 2003

by Ozmaugh
There's a surf (I think) song in the Adam Curtis doc "Goodbye Mrs Ant" that I can't find the name of, if anyone can help me out. Starts in this video at about 9:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL0GsaiTrzk

teh bux
Nov 5, 2008
Hi thread, was hoping someone could help me out with this one. Another youtube person and I have asked the owner of the video what song, but no reply yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8OV7U5fg8g

Thank you! I've watched this video like 10 times just for the song D:

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Dell_Zincht posted:

Almost certain this is X-Perience - Magic Fields. There's a song on the album called Mirror which is probably where you're confused :)

Album art: http://www.discogs.com/X-Perience-Magic-Fields/master/88848

Video: http://rutube.ru/tracks/951571.html?v=f13d5e7fbf7212c19c708a17cb6139d9

This is exactly it! This has been bugging me for years, thanks! Will listen to this abomination now. :)

Stubby
Oct 7, 2003

by Ozmaugh
Just wanted to share with everyone that the song I was looking for is called "Telstar" by the Tornados. Also, if you know the melody to a song, or have a small sample like I did, this site kicks rear end. It's found the artist for every song I've hummed, sung, or played a sample of. Probably wouldn't work for obscure stuff, but I haven't tried playing it any Hella or weird poo poo like that.

(fake edit: no results when I played it Hella or Behold..., or the song from the Vegas video, but for well-known stuff that you can't place it's perfect.)

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
I keep hearing this song called "Old Man" by Redlight King on my local indie/alternative station but I can't seem to find any trace of it (or the band) on the internet. Any goon detectives out there that know of this one?

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

I heard this on the Muzak while walking at the mall, kinda sweet folkie/soft pop feeling, haunting, girl singer, chorus goes something like, "come on, Jennifer, prove them wrong".

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

UncleGuito posted:

I keep hearing this song called "Old Man" by Redlight King on my local indie/alternative station but I can't seem to find any trace of it (or the band) on the internet. Any goon detectives out there that know of this one?

It looks like they're extremely early on -- whatever you're hearing on the radio is a promo single and their website says an album isn't coming until summer.

YouDummy
Jun 24, 2005

Fig Newton posted:

I heard this on the Muzak while walking at the mall, kinda sweet folkie/soft pop feeling, haunting, girl singer, chorus goes something like, "come on, Jennifer, prove them wrong".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDuMGgpM4yI

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Ah. Thank you. That's lovely.

Coming back to add...so, now the next question is, how does someone who's evidently so new/obscure/cutting edge that she doesn't have a Wiki page yet end up on the Muzak at a mall in Decatur, Illinois? She must be doing something right, I guess. Airtime courtesy of Muzak is still airtime. You go, girl.

Fig Newton fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 9, 2011

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
This is probably about as obscure as it gets, but I figure it can't hurt to try...

Several years ago, I heard an audio track on a college radio station. It wasn't actually music, it was composed of a girl with a really spacey demeanor narrating a story. In the story, she was talking about taking part in an experiment. She mentioned that the researchers for the experiment instructed her to be very careful driving home, and to make sure to sleep with a metal plate under her tongue every night while the experiment is ongoing. She said something like "on the third night, I forgot to sleep with the metal plate under my tongue."

Ring any bells?

edit: One more mega-obscure question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkFpwprABhQ

What is the source of the sample at the beginning of this song?

cormorant fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 9, 2011

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

cormorant posted:

This is probably about as obscure as it gets, but I figure it can't hurt to try...

Several years ago, I heard an audio track on a college radio station. It wasn't actually music, it was composed of a girl with a really spacey demeanor narrating a story. In the story, she was talking about taking part in an experiment. She mentioned that the researchers for the experiment instructed her to be very careful driving home, and to make sure to sleep with a metal plate under her tongue every night while the experiment is ongoing. She said something like "on the third night, I forgot to sleep with the metal plate under my tongue."

Miranda July - Medical Wonder

quote:

edit: One more mega-obscure question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkFpwprABhQ

What is the source of the sample at the beginning of this song?

It's from a Jim Jones speech, though I don't think it's the one right before the mass suicide at Jonestown. It goes: 的 got my CLAWS, I got CUTLASSES, I got GUNS, I got DYNAMITE! I got a helluva lot to fight! I値l fight, I値l fight, I値l fight!"

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Erebus posted:

Miranda July - Medical Wonder

It's from a Jim Jones speech, though I don't think it's the one right before the mass suicide at Jonestown. It goes: 的 got my CLAWS, I got CUTLASSES, I got GUNS, I got DYNAMITE! I got a helluva lot to fight! I値l fight, I値l fight, I値l fight!"

Wow. Thank you.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

I was in a shop today and they were playing a cover of 'Don't Stop Til You Get Enough' by Michael Jackson, which was sung by a female vocalist, and was very chilled out and downtempo, but I cannot for the life of me find out who it was. It wasn't one of those dodgy compilations where they're too cheap to pay the royalties for the real songs, and it wasn't the versions by Shivaree or Melissa Forbes, I already tried those.

Can anyone help?

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

VolumeOverTalent posted:

I was in a shop today and they were playing a cover of 'Don't Stop Til You Get Enough' by Michael Jackson, which was sung by a female vocalist, and was very chilled out and downtempo, but I cannot for the life of me find out who it was. It wasn't one of those dodgy compilations where they're too cheap to pay the royalties for the real songs, and it wasn't the versions by Shivaree or Melissa Forbes, I already tried those.

Can anyone help?

How about Melissa Ellen's version?

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

Nope, sorry. It was even more downtempo than that, more 'dreamy' is the best way to describe it I guess... the production sounded like Sigur Ros or something, with a very fragile sounding female vocal. I had no phone signal in the shop, or I could have Shazamed it, and the staff had no idea what it was either. Thanks anyway.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

No. 9 posted:

I heard this song in a thrift store then in an Urban Outfitters. The guy's voice sounds just like the guy from The National, but I don't think it's him. It's sparse instrumentally -- just organs and reverb, I think -- the vocal melody is really catchy and kind of drives it. Feels like Depeche Mode meets The National. The organs and everything feel really electronic/synthy than organic.

I can't remember the words to well at all, but I think he repeats the verses quite a bit. Something like "went down on the ground" or "fell down on the ground" and at the end he repeats something like "played by heart" or "play my heart".

I went on Urban Outfitter's site and it's not on any of their streaming things. Any ideas?

Echoing my question because it's still bugging me. I've been on the Hype Machine for a couple days looking and still haven't found anything.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Trying to help a friend find a song for a funeral of her cousins, its a song he apparently sung all the time. Old rock song, she thinks theres lyrics in it that include "days of time", "and upon you", and "never gonna know how it feels".

Google search has been fruitless.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It's a fairly well-known song from the '80s. It's built around a really simple guitar lick, and the lyrics are like

"Ah ah ah hAAAAAAAAaaaaha You know this, notice". Those words are stand-ins for similar sounding ones, other than the "Ah ah ha" part. It sounds very slow-dance-at-the-prom.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Blast Fantasto posted:

It's a fairly well-known song from the '80s. It's built around a really simple guitar lick, and the lyrics are like

"Ah ah ah hAAAAAAAAaaaaha You know this, notice". Those words are stand-ins for similar sounding ones, other than the "Ah ah ha" part. It sounds very slow-dance-at-the-prom.

I'll bet anything you mean "True" by Spandau Ballet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?embed?AR8D2yqgQ1U

e: the words after the ahh-ahhs are "I know this much is true"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

tacodaemon posted:

I'll bet anything you mean "True" by Spandau Ballet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?embed?AR8D2yqgQ1U

e: the words after the ahh-ahhs are "I know this much is true"

Yessssssssssss I love you so much right now. This been bugging me for weeks.