Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

JHVH-1 posted:

You could probably get the configs by downloading the source rpm of the package you have installed. There is a spec file that it includes so if you install the src RPM it the source and spec file shows up somewhere in /usr/src/redhat/

I think the apache source comes with its own spec file also, if you could get it working with the source you could build your own RPM. One of my co-workers has done this before. I think I might give it a shot one of these days when i have free time.

Great idea, and this worked perfectly I used yumdownloader --source (package) to grab the source package then installed it. thanks a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Occasionally the process "tracker-indexer" pops up under my system monitor and uses 100% of cpu, lagging everything until I kill process it.

Tried googling around a bit but it was not really clear, any advice?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

madkapitolist posted:

Occasionally the process "tracker-indexer" pops up under my system monitor and uses 100% of cpu, lagging everything until I kill process it.

Tried googling around a bit but it was not really clear, any advice?
It's a file-indexer that starts to index your files. You can turn it off by right-clicking the tracker-icon and disabling the indexing.

Rabbi Dan
Oct 26, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY CREEPY FACEBOOK APP FOR STALKING GIRLS I DON'T KNOW
I'm running CentOS 5.3 and I have pure-ftpd as my FTP server. I'm using the FlashFXP FTP client on Windows and I'm trying to access files on my server. Every file I've tried to access has worked fine except the files in the Apache /www/html folder. FlashFXP just says "Unable to open specified file." My guess is that this is some kind of file permission issue or maybe an Apache configuration issue that I'm not aware of. The FTP user I'm logging in with is "root".

Obviously I'm very new to Linux/Apache and if anyone could shed some light on this issue I'd appreciate it very much.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

Zom Aur posted:

It's a file-indexer that starts to index your files. You can turn it off by right-clicking the tracker-icon and disabling the indexing.

Where is this tracker icon?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Rabbi Dan posted:

The FTP user I'm logging in with is "root".

Don't do this. Create another account.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

madkapitolist posted:

Where is this tracker icon?
Sorry, I thought it showed up automatically while it's indexing in gnome. Should be somewhere in settings then, I think.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
How would I go about making this:
code:
net rpc shutdown -I IPADDRESS -U USERNAME%PASSWORD
An alias in my .bashrc so that I type:
code:
rws IP.AD.DR.ESS USERNAME PASSWORD
and it runs the command properly?

Thanks!

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Crush posted:

How would I go about making this:
code:
net rpc shutdown -I IPADDRESS -U USERNAME%PASSWORD
An alias in my .bashrc so that I type:
code:
rws IP.AD.DR.ESS USERNAME PASSWORD
and it runs the command properly?

Thanks!
Something like
alias rwd='net rpc shutdown -I $1 -U $2'
if I remember correctly.

Which would mean you'd go
rws adress username%password
I guess, but not sure.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
In bash 3.x aliases can't specify arguments like that. You need to write a function or create a shell script.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
Alrighty, thanks!

Also, if I want to make an exact replica of a CD/DVD to easily (virtually) mount, is this the best way about going about it?

code:
dd if=/dev/disk1 of=${HOME}/Desktop/File.iso bs=2048
Should I change the byte size?

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

Crush posted:

Alrighty, thanks!

Also, if I want to make an exact replica of a CD/DVD to easily (virtually) mount, is this the best way about going about it?

code:
dd if=/dev/disk1 of=${HOME}/Desktop/File.iso bs=2048
Should I change the byte size?
bs means block size, not byte size. In this case, it doesn't matter what it is, but choosing the "right" block size will optimize the speed of the copy operation (anything between 4k and 8M would probably be close enough on a modern system though.)

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Edit: Double Post

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 13, 2017

mystes
May 31, 2006

What did you put as the proxy in your browser? Are you putting the server address? You should be using 127.0.0.1 with port 8080. You also don't need to forward port 8080; the 8080 is the port your using on your ssh *client* that is forwarded through the ssh connection.

Edit: Your link is bad but I found the tutorial. If you followed it everything should work. Maybe you should post all the relevant settings because it seems most likely that something is set wrong.

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 4, 2009

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Lucien
May 2, 2007

check it out i'm a samurai ^_^

GregNorc posted:

When I initially tryed to SSH in from the netbook (using the command "ssh -D 8080 ssh@[IP-REDACTED]" like this tutorial explains: http://blog.banditdefense.com/2009/...l-your-traffic/),

Pro tip: when sshing into the proxy use:
code:
ssh -NCD <port> <user>@<host>
-C will compress the data and speed up your connection, -N will prevent executing any commands on the server.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Where can I find successful SMTP login attempts in the log files on an older Fedora 6 server? Any sort of identifying string I can use? The server's running Sendmail.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
I'm not sure if I should be asking this in the system building thread, but can anyone recommend which graphics cards are most compatible with Ubuntu/Debian? I see everyone is recommending the ATI HD4870 or nVidia 260 216 in the parts thread so I'll probably go for one of those or something slightly lower spec in the same line. (I'll be booting into Windows for gaming, don't think I'll bother with Wine.) At the moment I run Ubuntu on an ATI Radeon 9800 and I'm sure the dodgy drivers are what's killing performance (I've already tried the proprietary ones and the others).

So which manufacturer are more Linux friendly and are either of these cards particularly recommended? Cheers.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

JammyB posted:

I'm not sure if I should be asking this in the system building thread, but can anyone recommend which graphics cards are most compatible with Ubuntu/Debian? I see everyone is recommending the ATI HD4870 or nVidia 260 216 in the parts thread so I'll probably go for one of those or something slightly lower spec in the same line. (I'll be booting into Windows for gaming, don't think I'll bother with Wine.) At the moment I run Ubuntu on an ATI Radeon 9800 and I'm sure the dodgy drivers are what's killing performance (I've already tried the proprietary ones and the others).

So which manufacturer are more Linux friendly and are either of these cards particularly recommended? Cheers.
I generally go with nvidia and haven't run into any trouble with them. Second place would be intel, because of the kernel mode-setting support that came with 2.6.29 and UXA. Third place would be ATI, since I've yet to run into any system where it's easy to setup and actually works (Compositing, good performance and/or suspend for laptops).

So yeah, go with nvidia or ATI if you want better performance than intel and don't mind mucking about.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

If you ask me, there's simply no doubt that nVidia is the best for Linux.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

GregNorc posted:

code:
[songwhale@localhost wireless]$ pwd
/lib/modules/2.6.29.1-102.fc11.i586/kernel/drivers/net/wireless

you need to be in a kernel source tree, or minimally some kind of sparse source tree that's able to rebuild ath5k. You're in a filesystem with built code -- too late to patch.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 13, 2017

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
I have a dual boot Ubuntu/Win7 system. This is all well and good and everything is going smoothly, but the default OS is Ubuntu and I'd rather it be Win7. Any way I can change this?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

sicarius posted:

I have a dual boot Ubuntu/Win7 system. This is all well and good and everything is going smoothly, but the default OS is Ubuntu and I'd rather it be Win7. Any way I can change this?

sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst

Change the line that says 'default 0' to 'default (whatever the number windows is on the list at the end of that file)'

There's actually a description of what all the options in that file do if you want to play around with other things like the time before it boots the default OS.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 5, 2009

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
How can I get diff to just show me the different lines?... without the line number thingy and < or >.

EDIT: n/m I just did it with a little grep and awk.

Eyecannon fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 5, 2009

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

GregNorc posted:

By making the directory manually I now get this error:

code:
[root@localhost compat-wireless-2.6.30-rc6]# make
/bin/sh: line 0: test: -ge: unary operator expected
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.29.1-102.fc11.i586/build
M=/usr/src/compat-wireless-2.6.30-rc6 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/lib/modules/2.6.29.1-102.fc11.i586/build'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `modules'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/lib/modules/2.6.29.1-102.fc11.i586/build'
make: *** [modules] Error 2
Also I feel I should mention I've already tried installing kernel headers and the source rpm (the two most common solutions I found on google)
Seems like you're missing some files there. Did you run ./configure before make?

Oh, and you only need to be root for the make install. :)

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Was the directory you created /lib/modules/whatever/build ? Because that should be a symlink to the kernel source tree.

edit: it should still be there unless you rm'd it, do an ls -l /lib/modules/whatever to see where it's pointing.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 5, 2009

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

DizzyBum posted:

Where can I find successful SMTP login attempts in the log files on an older Fedora 6 server? Any sort of identifying string I can use? The server's running Sendmail.

From memory, they should be in /var/log/mail.info

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.
Never used Linux before in my life but I'm building a file server to consolidate all of my por... movies and music. I'm considering Ubuntu Server.

The other computers in the house are a mix of PCs and a Mac. Are there any issues I should be aware of in terms of compatibility etc. or will the other computers be able to play nice with Ubuntu out of the box?

If I want to go with a software RAID-5 (this is just a file server so I'm not worried about CPU time) what would you recommend with this setup?

What file system is best for this setup? Someone suggested XFS. Files will be mostly HD movies and MP3s. Does the file system effect compatibility viz. the other computers?

Thanks!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Interlude posted:

If I want to go with a software RAID-5 (this is just a file server so I'm not worried about CPU time) what would you recommend with this setup?

Why? Just mirror the drives or backup to a USB drive. The whole point of RAID5 is so you never have to take the server down when you lose a drive, and you're not going to be hot-swapping in your home-built computer, so there's no point. You'll just be in hell when something goes wrong.

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

Interlude posted:

What file system is best for this setup? Someone suggested XFS. Files will be mostly HD movies and MP3s. Does the file system effect compatibility viz. the other computers?
No, the other computers are unaware of the underlying filesystem on the server; all they see is the sharing protocol, e.g. CIFS.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Maybe once a month, I will be in X and the computer will seemingly lock up.

The mouse still moves, visible cursors blink, mp3s are still playing, and even animations on visible web pages are still going. Clicking/typing does nothing.

I can use ctrl-alt-F1 (or ssh or whatever) etc to switch consoles and kill X, and after doing so everything works just fine.

Is there any way to track this down? The Xorg.log in /var/log just seems to log the startup sequence. Looking at the console output in the console X was started from just lists all the typical non-critical debug messages that X programs constantly seem to be spitting out. The last one was something about "Xlib: unexpected async reply sequence", but I have no idea if that is what hosed things up or if it was just the last non-critical error.

edit: It just did it again :o and that Xlib error was the last thing it said. I think it is a pygtk program mucking things up. >:(

other people fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 8, 2009

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.

Bob Morales posted:

Why? Just mirror the drives or backup to a USB drive. The whole point of RAID5 is so you never have to take the server down when you lose a drive, and you're not going to be hot-swapping in your home-built computer, so there's no point. You'll just be in hell when something goes wrong.
Data safety without losing too much capacity... planning on either 4 or 5 1TB drives, with RAID5 I would have n-1 capacity vs. n/2. Not really practical to back that up on an external drive either.

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

Rock For Sustainable Capitalism
I have a SATA HDD that was once present in a RAID array. It's a disk that was used in our systems engineering lab, so it's been connected to some RAID card that I can't pinpoint.

When I plug the disk into a system, it shows up as being 1TB, but it's most definitely a 200GB disk.

From a bootable Knoppix DVD, I've ran

code:
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1024 count=1024
To zero-write the 1st MB of the disk, which as far as I know, should've wiped out all of the metadata. The disk is still being detected as 1TB though, so there's some low-level data that I'm not able to wipe off of the drive.

I'm currently doing a zero-write to the whole disk (just in case the metadata is beyond the first 1MB - I doubt this is the case, but what the hell, it's not going to hurt anything).

Any ideas? I can't seem to get this disk's size to be properly detected.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
I've been upgrading a server that hasn't been upgrade in a while, and I am having a weird harddrive issue. I have upgraded both mdadm and lvm to lvm2. What I have is a raid5 array made with mdadm and used with lvm, and then I have another simple lvm mirror of two 750GB drives. Now that I've rebooted, I can see the raid5 just fine and it mounts, but I cannot see the two 750GB disks with fdisk or pvdisplay, even though they are clearly detected during the kernel boot and called sde and sdf.

Why would I be able to see them in dmesg but not with fdisk or pvdisplay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What's the consensus on Gentoo these days? It looks like the main installer hasn't been updated since early 2008, and I know the main guy left some time ago. Is it's still a decent distro? I used to love it years ago. The only reason I stopped using it is because I would always emerge something that was hardmasked because I'm totally impatient and want updated packages asap.