Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes. But I live in wisconsin :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I'm in, just tell us what day.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Anyone know what kind of gear you need? $200 + a plane ticket seems pretty reasonable.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlackMK4 posted:

http://www.socalsupermoto.com/school_sumo.html
Has anyone done this before? $200 sounds pretty sweet since it includes bike rental.

Buddy of mine was pretty heavily involved with that group for awhile...good peeps from what I hear, and some real fast dudes out there as well.

Xovaan - do the open trackday with us. That reminds me, I need to get that poo poo organized...

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

ought ten posted:

Anyone know what kind of gear you need? $200 + a plane ticket seems pretty reasonable.

quote:

What are the requirements?
Intermediate level riding ability, dirt or street. It's fine if you've never ridden on one or the other.
Proper riding gear including: dot full-face helmet (dirt or street), boots, pants with knee armor, jacket with back protection and elbow pads, gloves. Leathers recommended, full mx gear OK.
18 years old.
Signed release form.

Hell of a lot looser requirements than the closest track to where I live. Full leathers required to race on what's basically a go kart track.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Z3n posted:

Xovaan - do the open trackday with us. That reminds me, I need to get that poo poo organized...

drat three hours away. That's tempting. But I might be starting a business/ending my contract and don't know if I'll be able to make a financial decision like that any time soon, even for the sumo one. :negative:

OH WAIT it says June 2nd yeah I'll probably be there brah :hfive:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Fooking awesome. School starts in a couple of weeks so I'll probably shoot for something after mid-May. Ride out, do a trackday with them, then maybe do a trackday on the 750.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Fooking awesome. School starts in a couple of weeks so I'll probably shoot for something after mid-May. Ride out, do a trackday with them, then maybe do a trackday on the 750.

Could probably do some looking and figure it out myself but could you tell me where this is and, if I'm near, whether or not I am invited?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ChewedFood posted:

Could probably do some looking and figure it out myself but could you tell me where this is and, if I'm near, whether or not I am invited?

It's at a place called Adam's Motorsports Park in Riverside, Cali. You'd be invited, I'll post something up when the time gets closer to see if anyone wants to join. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Open trackday, June 2nd, Thunderhill. Come out to that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Price? What org?

I'm down.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Price? What org?

I'm down.

Private trackday, so no sessions. Just go ride. It's usually a bit over 200 bucks.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I'd be up for a SoCal Sumo groupride. Can you bring bikes to that? I didn't see anything about it in their FAQ... seems kind of silly to borrow a sumo while owning a 690, but I have always wanted to try a DRZSM so....

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I'd be up for a SoCal Sumo groupride. Can you bring bikes to that? I didn't see anything about it in their FAQ... seems kind of silly to borrow a sumo while owning a 690, but I have always wanted to try a DRZSM so....

Also why risk wadding your 690 when you could wad their bikes?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also please dont think anything but a 690 will be boring on a kart track.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's quite a bit the other direction actually, having ridden 450's, a DRZ and a 690 around a kart track extensively, the 690 was great but was way too much bike in a few corners. The DRZ felt under powered but you could just wail on it and fast guys had no problem being fast on them, and a 450 is the way to go. Sublime.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I've not ridden a 450 in sumo trim or a 690 but I guarantee 100% that a 450 is more fun on a kart track. You're not going to beat a 200 pound bike with 50-60hp for fun factor. No bullshit creature comforts just power. If anyone hasn't ever ridden a 450 dirt bike I suggest it. It's brutal.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Nah I'd love to try a DRZ; it just seemed odd to borrow a sumo when you have one.

Good point on crashing loaner bikes being superior to smashing your own however.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

There's some schools linked in the OP but not that one. I've read nothing but good things about those sumo schools in the sumo threads

Yeah I wouldn't want to dump my bike either but then again I'd just learn how to back it on on theirs and then try to do that on mine and dump it anyways :shrug:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

I dunno about the sm, but the smc is roughly 300 pounds ready to ride, ~30 pounds lighter than the DRZ.

KTM gives the "Weight without fuel approx." of the SMC-R as 140 kg (309 lbs). Add 9 kg (20 lbs) for fuel.

Suzuki claims the dry weight of the DRZ is 132 kg (291 lbs). Add 7 kg (15 lbs) for fuel, 1 kg (2 lbs) for coolant and 2 kgs (4 lbs) oils.

Despite the KTM slogan for the SMC-R being "Not a single gram of fat; only muscle" it is not a lightweight motard.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Nidhg00670000 posted:

KTM gives the "Weight without fuel approx." of the SMC-R as 140 kg (309 lbs). Add 9 kg (20 lbs) for fuel.

Suzuki claims the dry weight of the DRZ is 132 kg (291 lbs). Add 7 kg (15 lbs) for fuel, 1 kg (2 lbs) for coolant and 2 kgs (4 lbs) oils.

You forgot battery, and tires, and tubes, and the tool kit, and key and anything else you can physically remove from the bike.

Japanese dry weight is very dry.

DRZ is still lighter, but not by much.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Despite the KTM slogan for the SMC-R being "Not a single gram of fat; only muscle" it is not a lightweight motard.

I'd say the slogan is pretty true. Aside from the huge exhaust can and emissions bullshit, you get a light weight subframe/gas tank (plastic), a tube frame, lightweight components all around, a 690CC engine, a functional set of gauges, 6 speed transmission and bobs your uncle. Not a lot of waste on that chassis that isn't government mandated. Aside from the ABS which I guess you could argue is unnecessary. Only the Husaberg FE 570 goes more extreme but that is quite the bike.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 4, 2014

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I wanted ABS, but it wasn't available until this year, and I'm not selling a one year old bike just to get ABS... :argh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Honestly, I don't think most people are going to notice the weight difference (mainly cause no one ever gets an honest weight out of most bike makers). It's probably 10-20 pounds, but it could go either way. What you do notice is the extra ~35HP, the better suspension, nicer brakes, etc.

Here's an example: http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?69674-I-weighed-my-690-SMC-ready-to-ride

But that's removing the stock exhaust can, which is loving heavy. Probably 15-20 pounds on it's own.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 4, 2014

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Talked to my power sports buddy who makes his living doing dirt bike and quad big bores about the DRZ yesterday. $370 for a 435 kit with piston, gaskets, etc and labor included. I was just gonna buy a set of stage 1 Hot Cams from him for $250 but gently caress that's tempting. The nicest thing is that I'll get tuning help from someone who's built pretty much this exact DRZ engine multiple times before.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is that the friends discount? I would think the labor alone on a big bore would be more than that

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
That's all parts at wholesale plus roughly 10% and pretty much free labor. I'll probably end up going out to his shop on a Friday that I can sneak away from work and do the engine work with his help. The one good thing that came of my stupid RD400 project was meeting this guy, and I have a feeling being friends with him will eventually cancel out the amount of money I've sunk into that piece of poo poo.

Edit: God forbid your DRZ engine ever shits out Jim, but if you ever want a cheap top end and don't have a problem shipping/hauling to Madison I could probably hook you up.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 5, 2014

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You're in Madison? We should hook up this summer for some brappen.

Also if my engine ever shits out I'll definitely trailer the bike to Madison for those rates! It's only like a 90 minute drive

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
This is a good idea. I'm gonna invest in some better gear this summer and try to do some trackdays

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Any Australian goons in the Perth/WA area looking to buy a sumo, my mate is selling his Husky

quote:

its 2011, 16k on the clock,good condition, bottom end rebuilt by k-tec. has frame , fork, swingarm sliders, hand guards, barrett cans, supersprox and chain,good tyres

join https://www.facebook.com/groups/supermotowa/ to message him

caveat, its been 'hooned' to the point that the police took it off him for 6 months, but he's always taken good care of his bikes mechanically.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPZm_wndh70
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FhmQk5iOUI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pkdGuCXRx0

echomadman fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 6, 2014

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

echomadman posted:

caveat, its been 'hooned' to the point that the police took it off him for 6 months

So... hooned lightly then?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just thought I'd share this from another forum I read

quote:

Anyone want a 2005 KTM 625SMC for cheap? I need to remove mine from my garage asap! great running shape, both orange a black plastics, LED hand guard signals, 6K on the motor, 18k on the bike.

Its in "ok" shape, but given the miles its not terrible. Its been down, but the only marks are on the fork and arm sliders. All the expensive bits are sound, with a recent carb cleaning. JD jet kit, unrestricted, all that fun stuff.

I'm asking 3k...

He said there should be a CL ad. His email is ross.o.miller at gmail

pic http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/spazegun2213/mgbgt/DSCN3432.jpg

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Christoff posted:

Just thought I'd share this from another forum I read

He said there should be a CL ad. His email is ross.o.miller at gmail

pic http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/spazegun2213/mgbgt/DSCN3432.jpg

Location?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Oh poo poo sorry. Southern California

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
What would you guys value a 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada demo bike that has ~1000 miles on it? I'm thinking about trading in or selling my 625SMC and this one came up at the local dealership. I believe Ducati also has a $1500 discount on the the Hyperstrada which puts the MSRP at the same price as the '13 Hypermotard.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

MetaJew posted:

What would you guys value a 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada demo bike that has ~1000 miles on it? I'm thinking about trading in or selling my 625SMC and this one came up at the local dealership. I believe Ducati also has a $1500 discount on the the Hyperstrada which puts the MSRP at the same price as the '13 Hypermotard.

Why would you want a Hyperstrada?

What an ugly, confused machine. I mean, it's the worst parts of the HyperMotard with the polarizing looks of the multi with not as much usefulness.

Have you ridden one? The old ones were way more tame than they look and pretty weak for the price. At least now its water cooled and uses a derivative of the 848 engine, but there's gotta be better choices out there. You looking for a stripped down standard for touring duty basically then?

You should try to find a 990 SMT if that's what your looking for, I would think.

If the Hyperstrada is what your looking for than It's probably not a bad way to get one (slightly used with some kickbacks), seeing as how its a new model and the market doesn't really have used ones floating around. I mean they make it for a market, and maybe you're that market. If so, that's cool, tell us all about it (seriously).

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Spiffness posted:

Why would you want a Hyperstrada?

What an ugly, confused machine. I mean, it's the worst parts of the HyperMotard with the polarizing looks of the multi with not as much usefulness.

Have you ridden one? The old ones were way more tame than they look and pretty weak for the price. At least now its water cooled and uses a derivative of the 848 engine, but there's gotta be better choices out there. You looking for a stripped down standard for touring duty basically then?

You should try to find a 990 SMT if that's what your looking for, I would think.

If the Hyperstrada is what your looking for than It's probably not a bad way to get one (slightly used with some kickbacks), seeing as how its a new model and the market doesn't really have used ones floating around. I mean they make it for a market, and maybe you're that market. If so, that's cool, tell us all about it (seriously).

I've ridden one. It has a longer range than my SMC, more power, ABS and TCS, equal fuel economy, 18,000 mi service intervals, and its a little more practical.

I would love to have a 690SMC but they're hard to find, no longer imported and all are used. I feel burned by KTM. Their poo poo is so quirky and over engineered. I don't understand why they can't design an engine that uses fewer than four oil filters, and the only other sumo options in the US are full of compromises.

I'm looking for a more reliable, standard or similar bike. A friend has a previous gen street triple R that I'm going to take for a spin, and I guess the FZ09 is another option but the range is hilariously small.

I really enjoy my bike, but with the autodecomp intermittently working-- leading to a scary moment where it stalled in the road and I couldn't get it to start without getting off and kicking it over, I'm not sure I trust it for anything other than track use... And I don't have the space or money to keep two bikes.

I'd write more but I'm on my phone. Basically it's just an idea at this time, but for the money it doesn't seem like a bad choice to me.

Edit: The dealer wrote me back and claims they have two demos in white, one with ~0 mi and one with ~400. But they didn't give me a starting price.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 15, 2014

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I agree, it seems like a confused bike. That seems to be a theme with Ducati. The Hypermoto was a monster with long suspension, and didnt really do well at being a supermoto, or a monster. This seems stuck in middle land as well.

I guess if you really have to have one go nuts, but I have to think other things can check all the same boxes and probably for less money to boot.

E: I dont think there are any current supermotos that meet your needs, and it seems like you're leaning more towards standard bike with some gravel road chops?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I'm open to suggestions guys, please tell me what the other options are for things actually available in the US. I just want to be able to go more than 80 miles on a tank, some semblance of reliability, and still have fun-- so light/nimble. I don't need a lot of power. The 110 hp from the 821cc engine was plenty fast for me.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Knowing dealers, don't expect the offer to blow your socks off. I'd made offers on Demo 848 and 1198s that I backed out of because they just werent willing to deal that much. They'll sell it at whatever silly asking price they quote you, so haggle hard but don't be afraid to walk away unless you were going to pay MSRP anyway and this is just a cherry on-top.

The 625 is one of the older style and less friendly KTMs, so I get your feelings. There really is a world of difference between that and a 690 and other newer KTM products. They really got their poo poo together in about 2008/2009 and everything they've put out since then has been pretty well executed.

None of that is here nor there though, let us know if the Hyperstrada falls through and you start shopping for other options.

If I were in your shoes, looking for beefy naked bikes with a little bit of gravel road chops. I'd be shopping used 990 SuperDukes and SMT's, maybe an Aprilia Dosoduro, or used Hyper-Motards. The older ones a quite a bit lamer compared to the new ones (being heavier, less horsepower, fairly poo poo suspension with few or no adjustments) but you can find ones that have been dropped and people upside down on loans for 6-9K used. At that price you could buy it without being 100% in love with it but make up the interest deficit by railing it down fire roads not giving a poo poo if you scratch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The only Dorso I'd buy would be the 1200 - the 750 is ok but range is low, it's heavy, and honestly, pretty underpowered.

I'll throw out my normal recommendation: Handlebar on a supersport. I think the Daytona 675 is the ideal street platform - plenty of kick, good suspension, nice brakes, reasonably priced, narrow and light feeling, and cheap/easy to install a bar kit on. Plus it'll push out to around 140 miles on a tank before the reserve kicks in. I bought my latest one for 2800 bucks (salvage title), have put minimal work into it, and it's loving awesome as a street bike. I took it out on some dirt roads, it handled it decently, as well as a hyper or any other streetbike would.

There's the BMW options if you're into being a boring old man.

I honestly disagree with Spiff here - I think that the Hyper is actually a very solid bike. It's something along the lines of what I've done to my Daytona, but done from the factory. Lots of room to move around in the saddle, a powerful, punchy engine, street oriented tires and suspension but the ability to do some gravel road blasting if you feel so inclined, better wind protection than a converted supersport...

It only seems confused because we don't get real standards. The multi isn't really any more or less useful than the Hyperstrada.

There is no loving way I would ever buy a hypermotard unless you're going to get the 6.2 gallon tank. 2.8 gallon tank on that engine means the fuel light is on every 80-90 miles.

I think the Street Triple will be the factory done up, cheaper option for you, the Daytona 675 with a handlebar would be the cheaper, sportier option (Street Triples still command a premium for some reason, at least in my market), and the nice, cool option would be the hyperstrada. ABS, TC, and that massive saddle would all be awesome on a bike, and I hope that in a couple of years I can find a crashed one for a song and remind myself why I hate owning Ducatis.

Comedy option: Multistrada 1200, leave it in Urban mode.

I think you're on the right path though - ride everything you can get your hands on.

• Locked thread