Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

sentientcarbon posted:

Can anyone recommend me a well-done vampire novel or series of novels? Any well-written vampire novel would be great, but I'd prefer one with a wide, epic scope that really embraces the whole 'immortality' aspect of the vampire mythos. I've previously read the following:

I am Legend-probably the best vampire-centric novel I've ever read, even if they aren't 'classic' vampires. Loved it.
Interview with the Vampire-didn't much care for the writing style nor Rice's overly repetitive fawning over how ~*pretty and sensual*~ everyone is, but I liked the characters and absolutely loved the sprawling 200+ year spread of the novel
Dracula-I found this surprisingly underwhelming. The characters and plot all seemed stiff and awkward to me. I can see how it would've blown away late-1800's audiences but now, meh.
Twilight-yes, I was desperate. Only made it about 30 pages in before Meyer's questionable writing quality made me give up
Salem's Lot-currently reading this one, on about page 40 or so but it's felt like kind of a slog so far. I know 40 pages is too quick to draw a verdict, but King's other (good) stuff usually has me interested earlier on than that.

You might check out "Those Who Hunt The Night" by Barbara Hambly. The first in the series, it was published quite a while ago, but another was added recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

sentientcarbon posted:

Can anyone recommend me a well-done vampire novel or series of novels?

Let the Right One In is excellent. I hated them, but a fair number of people enjoyed The Passage and The Strain, so those might be worth a look, and the former certainly deals with a good-sized chunk of time.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

sentientcarbon posted:

Can anyone recommend me a well-done vampire novel or series of novels? Any well-written vampire novel would be great, but I'd prefer one with a wide, epic scope that really embraces the whole 'immortality' aspect of the vampire mythos. I've previously read the following:

I really liked Vampire$, but I gotta admit it doesn't portray the vampires in a particularly sympathetic light or embrace the immortality aspect.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

sentientcarbon posted:

I am Legend-probably the best vampire-centric novel I've ever read, even if they aren't 'classic' vampires. Loved it.
Interview with the Vampire-didn't much care for the writing style nor Rice's overly repetitive fawning over how ~*pretty and sensual*~ everyone is, but I liked the characters and absolutely loved the sprawling 200+ year spread of the novel
Dracula-I found this surprisingly underwhelming. The characters and plot all seemed stiff and awkward to me. I can see how it would've blown away late-1800's audiences but now, meh.
Twilight-yes, I was desperate. Only made it about 30 pages in before Meyer's questionable writing quality made me give up
Salem's Lot-currently reading this one, on about page 40 or so but it's felt like kind of a slog so far. I know 40 pages is too quick to draw a verdict, but King's other (good) stuff usually has me interested earlier on than that.

As funkybottoms said, you should try Cronin's The Passage. The span of time it covers isn't huge, but it is like a century or so.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you like YA fiction I had a lot of fun reading Darren Shan's Cirque du Freak series. It involves Vampires about 95% of the time, the main character is a vampire.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Sorry, but Dracula and Salem's Lot are the best vampire books I have ever read (and I have read a lot of them). I am Legend is close, but it is more a zombie book to me (had a huge influence on Romero).

sentientcarbon
Aug 21, 2008

OFFLINE GAMES ARE THE FUTURE OF ONLINE GAMING

The numbers don't lie. 99.99% of every Diablo 3 player wants the game to be offline. This is a FACT.

OH SHIT IS THAT A WEBCAM? HOLY CRAP GET THAT AWAY FROM ME! (I am terrified of being spied on, because I am a very interesting person)
Edit: ^^^^Does Salem pick up at some point? I know I'm still in the first ~5% of the book but I'm accustomed to King hooking you in more or less right away, at least when he's on his game

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone! My Kindle just got three new books thrown on it.

funkybottoms posted:

Let the Right One In is excellent. I hated them, but a fair number of people enjoyed The Passage and The Strain, so those might be worth a look, and the former certainly deals with a good-sized chunk of time.

Is the novel very different from the film? I saw the Swedish version and kinda liked it, though admittedly less as a vampire-centric work of fiction and more as a bizarre coming-of-age tale.

sentientcarbon fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 22, 2013

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

sentientcarbon posted:

This doesn't have anything to do with vampires at all but if you like stories that span a long time I would recommend Cloud Atlas. I'm reading it right now and loving the hell out of it.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

sentientcarbon posted:

Can anyone recommend me a well-done vampire novel or series of novels?

There is a novel by Steven Brust which unfortunately is so dead clever that I have to hide the loving title behind a spoiler tag:

Agyar. The reason it has to be spoilered is that it is an implicit vampire novel; the titular main character is also the narrator, of the rather unreliable type, and while all the standard elements of the common vampire mythos are present none are ever named directly and the reader has to recognize them for himself.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

an ode to the artisans of
luxury, a willed madness,
a fabulous dinosaur...

sentientcarbon posted:

Is the novel very different from the film? I saw the Swedish version and kinda liked it, though admittedly less as a vampire-centric work of fiction and more as a bizarre coming-of-age tale.

I like Let The Right One In, book and film, a lot. I think it's safe to say they're the same, as much as they can be given the length differences, etc.

I just finished Memory of Light. I've read Song of Ice and Fire and liked both it and WoT a lot. My wife is recommending I read The Belgariad and I was wondering what you all think of it. Other than that one, any other big fantasy series I should consider? I tend to like fairly traditional fantasy, with characters you can really identify with. I also like magic as a big component.

Edit: This isn't a recommendation, just a question. I did most of my fantasy reading when I was much younger, and so I don't remember many of what I read, but one series that has always stuck with me is Lloyd Alexander's Westmark series. Anyone else here read those? I loved them when I was young, but I wonder how they would read now.

Old Janx Spirit fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 22, 2013

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Old Janx Spirit posted:

I just finished Memory of Light. I've read Song of Ice and Fire and liked both it and WoT a lot. My wife is recommending I read The Belgariad and I was wondering what you all think of it. Other than that one, any other big fantasy series I should consider? I tend to like fairly traditional fantasy, with characters you can really identify with. I also like magic as a big component.
I'd recommend checking out the Mistborn series starting with Mistborn: The Final Empire. They're written by Brandon Sanderson, co-author of the last couple WoT books, and feature some good characters along with excellent magic systems (all of Sanderson's works have fleshed-out magic systems, actually).

Dead Man Saloon
May 28, 2006
I'm currently reading the recently released Ghana Must Go, and, as a result of how much I'm enjoying it and today's awful news of Chinua Achebe's death, I've been thinking more of African literature.

I haven't read much, but I did love Things Fall Apart so anything from that era (but I'll take any recommendation whatsoever), would be great.

Thanks.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Dead Man Saloon posted:

I'm currently reading the recently released Ghana Must Go, and, as a result of how much I'm enjoying it and today's awful news of Chinua Achebe's death, I've been thinking more of African literature.

I haven't read much, but I did love Things Fall Apart so anything from that era (but I'll take any recommendation whatsoever), would be great.

Thanks.

I've heard nothing but good things about Ngugi wa Thiong'o's A Grain of Wheat. But anything under the African Writers Series banner is usually good, although they're mostly out of print.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Do not read the Belgariad. People remember it fondly because they read it when they were teens, but there are many epic fantasy series that are better. The Belgariad is objectively bad Just kidding, this is all subjective and you will find many people who really like the Belgariad but...really, you can almost certainly do better.

From the somewhat like George R R Martin file:
  • Joe Abercrombie, First Law trilogy. Recommended here all the time.
  • Glen Cook, Black Company series. Mercenaries working for the bad guys in an epic fantasy.
  • David Anthony Durham, Acacia trilogy.
  • R Scott Bakker, Prince of Nothing trilogy.
  • Robin Hobb, Farseer trilogy.
  • Steven Erikson, Malazan series. Ten very dense books, not to everyone's taste but if you like it there's a lot to like.
Traditional fantasy:
  • JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings (just in case you haven't read it yet)
  • Brandon Sanderson, Mistborn Trilogy
  • Ursula Le Guin, A Wizard of Earthsea
  • Patricia McKillip, Riddlemaster trilogy
  • Roger Zelazny, Chronicles of Amber. First series only. Maybe not that traditional, but it's fun.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

Lex Talionis posted:

[*]Glen Cook, Black Company series. Mercenaries working for the bad guys in an epic fantasy.

Just be aware that this stops being true past the first trilogy, and the series has a pretty big dip in quality. In my opinion the last two books go back to being good but just be aware that to read the entire series you'll have to slog through four mediocre books. Many people read the original trilogy and The Silver Spike only.

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Old Janx Spirit posted:

I'm fairly new to fantasy series, so I can't really give you any recommendations, (if you don't mind Darker Fantasy, I did enjoy C.S. Friedman's Magister Trilogy, and yes, read Le Guin's Earthsea books, I should go finish those myself) but I really do not recommend the Belgariad. I only read the first two books and stopped there. While I liked the premise, when I put down the second book I came to the epiphany, "I just read the first book again. Very little happened." Conflict felt sort of half baked to me.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Other than that one, any other big fantasy series I should consider? I tend to like fairly traditional fantasy, with characters you can really identify with. I also like magic as a big component.

For a long series, The Wars of Light and Shadow by Janny Wurts. Her writing style isn't for everyone, but it's worth trying.

Carol Berg's work has shorter series and isn't what I'd call "traditional", but she writes excellent characters. The Collegia Magicka trilogy in particular features a mystery that starts out with investigating a failed assassination attempt and ultimately gets into the very nature of the world's magic.

The Nightrunner books by Lynn Flewelling also have great characters, but though there are six books in the series, the fourth and fifth are pretty bad so you may want to stick to the first three.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

Lex Talionis posted:

Do not read the Belgariad. People remember it fondly because they read it when they were teens, but there are many epic fantasy series that are better. The Belgariad is objectively bad Just kidding, this is all subjective and you will find many people who really like the Belgariad but...really, you can almost certainly do better.

I think that the Belgariad is fine as a "beach novel" set of books. I think it's important to remember that it came out in 1982, making it :ohdear: 31 years old. Picking it up now, there's a lot of stuff that seems formulaic (and there's a lot of stuff that IS formulaic), but as I said in another post once, it was one of the first US published LOTR-style fantasies, predating almost all the big fantasy series other than Sword of Shannara.

For example, Dragons of Autumn Twilight (Weis and Hickman) came out in 1984, Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master (Feist) was released in the US in 1986 (the UK version, which combines the two, came out in 1982, so most Americans wouldn't have had access to it), Forgotten Realms and related novels started showing up in 1987...

Having re-read it fairly recently, I can honestly say it held up better than the Riftwar saga and the Shannara series, but definitely, it's the fantasy equivalent of a trashy summer novel. Taken for what it's worth, it's enjoyable, especially when you realize that a lot of the tropes that seem so tired now were fresh and new when the book originally came out.

Certainly, you can do better quality-wise, but as an early example of the genre, it isn't at all bad.

General Goon question--can you think of any other "blockbuster" (for lack of a better word) fantasy series that came out earlier?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Zola posted:

I think that the Belgariad is fine as a "beach novel" set of books. I think it's important to remember that it came out in 1982, making it :ohdear: 31 years old. Picking it up now, there's a lot of stuff that seems formulaic (and there's a lot of stuff that IS formulaic), but as I said in another post once, it was one of the first US published LOTR-style fantasies, predating almost all the big fantasy series other than Sword of Shannara.

For example, Dragons of Autumn Twilight (Weis and Hickman) came out in 1984, Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master (Feist) was released in the US in 1986 (the UK version, which combines the two, came out in 1982, so most Americans wouldn't have had access to it), Forgotten Realms and related novels started showing up in 1987...

Having re-read it fairly recently, I can honestly say it held up better than the Riftwar saga and the Shannara series, but definitely, it's the fantasy equivalent of a trashy summer novel. Taken for what it's worth, it's enjoyable, especially when you realize that a lot of the tropes that seem so tired now were fresh and new when the book originally came out.

Certainly, you can do better quality-wise, but as an early example of the genre, it isn't at all bad.

General Goon question--can you think of any other "blockbuster" (for lack of a better word) fantasy series that came out earlier?

The first Earthsea book came out in 1968.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Quidnose posted:

Are you specifically looking at avoiding reading the legend itself due to time constraints? I'm fairly certain this was the version of the tale I read in middle school, and I'm sure it'd be a quick read to get the basics now:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19181.Beowulf?auto_login_attempted=true

Six dollars on Kindle via Amazon.

I can't help with good translations if you want the full text, though, so maybe someone else can chime in.

Radio! posted:

This is the translation I've always seen recommended:

http://www.amazon.com/Beowulf-Verse...f+seamus+heaney

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The seminal critical essay about Beowulf is actually by J.R.R. Tolkien and it is here: Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics

He was famous for this in academic circles long before he wrote LOTR.
This all helped, so thank you all. I wrote a piece on The 13th Warrior—the Antonio Banderas film—which necessitated reading Michael Crichton's book, which then necessitated reading the original epic poem and at least some criticism thereof. If anyone's interested, here's the final result!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

sentientcarbon posted:

Edit: ^^^^Does Salem pick up at some point? I know I'm still in the first ~5% of the book but I'm accustomed to King hooking you in more or less right away, at least when he's on his game

It's been a while, but if definitely is worth the build-up. He spends a while building up most of the town, characters, the local legends and hinting at backstory. But by the time you hit 100 pages it should be rolling smoothly.

'Salem's Lot is a pretty important landmark for modern vampire lit, from what I understand. It's what really started getting me into King and is one of his best earlier novels (The Stand being my favorite). Also, I think it sets up some aspects of The Dark Tower series, but I haven't read those yet.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

Smoking Crow posted:

The first Earthsea book came out in 1968.

I knew someone was going to post that.

I don't count it in the "blockbuster" fantasy series because it's not a LOTR-type takeoff. It's an excellent trilogy, though.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

Zola posted:

I knew someone was going to post that.

I don't count it in the "blockbuster" fantasy series because it's not a LOTR-type takeoff. It's an excellent trilogy, though.
OK, well there's the first Thomas Covenant books (like them or not...I lean towards not...they at least are trying something different than Tolkien within the context of the epic fantasy subgenre). I don't really know how closely something has to hew to LOTR to meet your criteria but Patricia McKillip's Riddlemaster trilogy also deserves mention. Guy Gavriel Kay's Finovar Tapestry trilogy also came out about the same time as the Belgariad.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

Lex Talionis posted:

OK, well there's the first Thomas Covenant books (like them or not...I lean towards not...they at least are trying something different than Tolkien within the context of the epic fantasy subgenre). I don't really know how closely something has to hew to LOTR to meet your criteria but Patricia McKillip's Riddlemaster trilogy also deserves mention. Guy Gavriel Kay's Finovar Tapestry trilogy also came out about the same time as the Belgariad.

Definitely I'd count the Thomas Covenant books. The Riddlemaster trilogy is just great. I'm debating to myself whether it fits into that LOTR blockbuster mode--according to Wikipedia, it does fit into the High Fantasy category. I think I wouldn't have included it just because I was thinking more in terms of an intrepid band of heroes on a quest, which is what I actually meant by "blockbuster" LOTR, you know, the stuff that got done to death in later TSR novels.

The point about Belgariad, though, was that it was definitely one of the early blockbuster fantasy series, so what might now appear to be a tired old retelling was actually pretty fresh and exciting when it came out.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
I am looking for books that play with the medium in some way. Unreliable narrators, strange chronological order, stylistic weirdness, anything that twists and bends the medium while using it to tell a story.

My favorites in this category are House of Leaves, The Raw Shark Texts and Blindness. Currently reading The Shadow of the Torturer and really like how it's written. Any suggestions on where to go next?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Franchescanado posted:

It's been a while, but if definitely is worth the build-up. He spends a while building up most of the town, characters, the local legends and hinting at backstory. But by the time you hit 100 pages it should be rolling smoothly.

'Salem's Lot is a pretty important landmark for modern vampire lit, from what I understand. It's what really started getting me into King and is one of his best earlier novels (The Stand being my favorite). Also, I think it sets up some aspects of The Dark Tower series, but I haven't read those yet.

Yeah, one of the characters shows up in book five of The Dark Tower.

Obviously going to be a spoiler re: who survives Salem's Lot: Father Callahan

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The Malazan books are weird in that way. it starts in the middle, jumps around, and has really flowery odd prose. You also want to look at random Phillip K. Dick stories considering they are a product of a truly twisted mind. Zealazny's Lord of Light. Peter Watt's Blindsight goes in the same direction, only in ideas rather than prose.

If you're looking for more stylistic stretching, Harlan Ellison has always been one to disregard common tropes and labeling.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Zedlic posted:

I am looking for books that play with the medium in some way. Unreliable narrators, strange chronological order, stylistic weirdness, anything that twists and bends the medium while using it to tell a story.
Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks. Unreliable narrator has never been done better (your mind will be blown) and the alternating chapters are told in reverse chronological order, à la Memento. It's amazing.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Zedlic posted:

Currently reading The Shadow of the Torturer and really like how it's written. Any suggestions on where to go next?

Keep reading the Sun books. A few of my other favorite examples are A Scanner Darkly, The Tin Drum and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time for a slightly different take on the idea.

And PKD, as stated above, is good for general WTFery, and if you want something historically hosed up, holler at Les Chants de Maldoror.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 24, 2013

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Zedlic posted:

If you haven't read it before, Sterne's Tristram Shandy would be good. Nabokov's Pale Fire, too.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
Thanks everyone; always good suggestions to be had in this thread.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...

Zedlic posted:

My favorites in this category are House of Leaves, The Raw Shark Texts and Blindness. Currently reading The Shadow of the Torturer and really like how it's written. Any suggestions on where to go next?

Why don't you try Joyce's Ulysses? Unless you're only looking for more modern stuff. It's kind of the gold standard for that kind of thing.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Why don't you try Joyce's Ulysses? Unless you're only looking for more modern stuff. It's kind of the gold standard for that kind of thing.

Anything by Faulkner is good for that, too.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Zedlic posted:

Kurt Vonnegut is pretty famous for this. Check out Cat's Cradle for a narrator obsessed with a fictional religion that embraces the absurd.

Also seconding The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. Narrator is an autistic child who finds comfort in mathematics.

One many people haven't read is James Gunn's The Toy Collecter. A guy becomes a drug dealer to afford a lifestyle of collecting toys to reclaim his childhood. Very dark, and still funny. Similar to his film Super in tone, but grittier.

Anything by Daniel Handler for adults. The Basic Eight is like a darker version of Heathers set in the 90's, Adverbs is a collection of intertwined stories where questionable narration is a major focus, and Watch Your Mouth is an unreliable narrator with the first half of the book is told in opera form, second a twelve step program. Watch Your Mouth is my favorite, but it's extremely hosed up :barf:, even if it's well written and funny.

Also, Dice Man is alright. It's an interesting premise and the narrator is a horrible person.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...

Zedlic posted:

How could I forget Infinite Jest? Lots of unreliable narrators, messing with chronology, and general weirdness. Plus it's one of the best novels ever written.

Angstronaut
Apr 26, 2005

is there no shame?
I want to buy a book for my dad for his birthday. I don't really dig his taste in fiction (Dean Koontz et al) but he enjoys science/math books as well. Stuff I've gotten him in the past that he claims to have enjoyed are:
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach
Everything and More: A Compact History of Infinity by David Foster Wallace

and some book about the flu I've forgotten the name of.

I'm wondering if you guys have any similar popular-science-type recommendations. Thanks!

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Angstronaut posted:

I want to buy a book for my dad for his birthday. I don't really dig his taste in fiction (Dean Koontz et al) but he enjoys science/math books as well. Stuff I've gotten him in the past that he claims to have enjoyed are:

I'm wondering if you guys have any similar popular-science-type recommendations. Thanks!

I've always enjoyed Richard P. Feynman's auto-biography Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!, which isn't directly about science but involves anecdotal first-hand accounts of interactions with the 20th century's most well-known physicists. Also because Feynman was a brilliant physicist in his own right, a lot of science does spill out onto his writings. The other part of the book are accounts of interesting escapades in his life.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Angstronaut posted:

Ghost Map is the flu book and the author is Steven Johnson, whose Invention of Air is also really good. Naked Statistics just recently came out and looks awesome, but I haven't read it yet, and since he likes math, Nate Silver's The Signal and the Noise might be worth a look. Similar things I've enjoyed are The Killer of Little Shepherds, Blood Work, King of Poisons: A History of Arsenic, The Great Big Book of Horrible Things, The Tiger, A History of the World in 100 Objects, and pretty much any Mary Roach or Simon Winchester

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Angstronaut posted:

Since he likes books about the flu, science, and horror fiction (Dean Koontz), let me recommend one of the scariest non-fiction books you can read, Spillover: Animal Infections nd the Next Human Pandemic by David Quammen.

"From Amazon posted:

A masterpiece of science reporting that tracks the animal origins of emerging human diseases.

The emergence of strange new diseases is a frightening problem that seems to be getting worse. In this age of speedy travel, it threatens a worldwide pandemic. We hear news reports of Ebola, SARS, AIDS, and something called Hendra killing horses and people in Australia—but those reports miss the big truth that such phenomena are part of a single pattern. The bugs that transmit these diseases share one thing: they originate in wild animals and pass to humans by a process called spillover. David Quammen tracks this subject around the world. He recounts adventures in the field—netting bats in China, trapping monkeys in Bangladesh, stalking gorillas in the Congo—with the world’s leading disease scientists. In Spillover Quammen takes the reader along on this astonishing quest to learn how, where from, and why these diseases emerge, and he asks the terrifying question: What might the next big one be?

Also Mary Roach has several other books that he may like (if he hasn't read them yet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Furious Lobster posted:

I've always enjoyed Richard P. Feynman's auto-biography Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!, which isn't directly about science but involves anecdotal first-hand accounts of interactions with the 20th century's most well-known physicists. Also because Feynman was a brilliant physicist in his own right, a lot of science does spill out onto his writings. The other part of the book are accounts of interesting escapades in his life.

This got to be my recommendation as well. It's an absolutely fantastic book.