Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Amazon has pre-order listings for the Toy Story movies in 3D blu-ray. You can buy them individually (each individual release contains a 3D blu-ray, blu-ray, dvd, and digital copy) or as a 3D trilogy. From the listing it looks like the 3D trilogy is just the 3D discs, which seems to me is targeted at those with 3D tv's who already bought the movies in 2D and don't want duplicates.

3D Trilogy: $69.99
Toy Story 1: $34.99
Toy Story 2: $34.99
Toy Story 3: $34.99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Tony Danza Claus posted:

PS3 is wireless G?

No wonder the one in the bedroom can't do Hulu, but the living room (plugged in the router) can.

I figured my walls were just made of lead.

It's not much better on the 360. Even though the 360 Slim added built in 802.11n, it's only 2.4GHz, whereas the separate adapter they introduced 6 months prior does 5GHz at well.

But yeah, at least the PS3 does gigabit.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Is this a good all-region player?
LG BD550

Seems like a good price. I actually bought the Sherwood all-region player, but ended up returning it for a refund when it didn't work (and was flimsy as hell - I thought it would fall apart from just looking at it).

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

frumpsnake posted:

It's not much better on the 360. Even though the 360 Slim added built in 802.11n, it's only 2.4GHz, whereas the separate adapter they introduced 6 months prior does 5GHz at well.

But yeah, at least the PS3 does gigabit.

Gigabit Ethernet is beyond worthless on a gaming/media streaming device. Streaming a full uncompressed BR rip only maxes out at about 60Mb/s.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Lots of details on the the Star Wars blu rays.

They fixed a lot of the audio issues introduced to the OT with the 2004 releases, and also fixed most or all of the stupid color issues in the films and other little things. When the X-Wings start their Death Star attack run John Williams score is once again the dominant piece of music instead of the roar of the X-Wing engines and I could not be happier. I can't wait to hear the new sound mixes. It actually sounds like a pretty kick rear end set and I do believe I am sold on it.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

ApexAftermath posted:

Lots of details on the the Star Wars blu rays.

They fixed a lot of the audio issues introduced to the OT with the 2004 releases, and also fixed most or all of the stupid color issues in the films and other little things. When the X-Wings start their Death Star attack run John Williams score is once again the dominant piece of music instead of the roar of the X-Wing engines and I could not be happier. I can't wait to hear the new sound mixes. It actually sounds like a pretty kick rear end set and I do believe I am sold on it.

Just came to post that after seeing it in the Star Wars megathread in GBS.

In addition to all the technical issues being fixed, it sounds like there's a lot more new content in the set than we previously realized. "Over 40" deleted and extended scenes? The writer of that article seemed pretty excited by some of them and that they were longer and more important than he expected.

I've gone from "disinterested" back to "cautiously optimistic". I still probably won't commit to buying the set until some of these sites actually have the Blu-ray discs in hand, write reviews, and post screenshots.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Sweet!

Here's a list of all of the features including deleted scenes:
http://rebelscum.com/story/front/Here_Are_All_The_SW_Bluray_Special_Features_140120.asp

The ANH scenes were released for a CD in the late 90s but were of poor quality. To my knowledge, the ESB and ROTJ scenes have never been released.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Cheesus posted:

Sweet!

http://rebelscum.com/story/front/Here_Are_All_The_SW_Bluray_Special_Features_140120.asp

The ANH scenes were released for a CD in the late 90s but were of poor quality. To my knowledge, the ESB and ROTJ scenes have never been released.
That link also says it might not be complete, so there could be even more :)

Needs Empire of Dreams, more documentaries. On an already loaded package.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
I've never actually owned a blu-ray player, only a PS3. Most of the ones mentioned in this thread don't put out near as much heat as the PS3 does, right? It feels like it heats up my room by like 10 degrees everytime I watch a movie.

Tony Danza Claus posted:

PS3 is wireless G?

No wonder the one in the bedroom can't do Hulu, but the living room (plugged in the router) can.

I figured my walls were just made of lead.

Wow, you got hulu to work on something that wasn't a PC? I've yet to meet anyone who has been able to do that. The PS3 app seems really, really bad.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Wow, you got hulu to work on something that wasn't a PC? I've yet to meet anyone who has been able to do that. The PS3 app seems really, really bad.

The UI is a little clunky, but it streams just fine for me.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Crackbone posted:

Gigabit Ethernet is beyond worthless on a gaming/media streaming device. Streaming a full uncompressed BR rip only maxes out at about 60Mb/s.

Transcoding on the fly (necessary for subtitled content) and seeking can push the bandwidth requirements above 100Mbps.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Cheesus posted:

Sweet!

As far as I can see, The Beginning isn't included. That's a real shame.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

frumpsnake posted:

Transcoding on the fly (necessary for subtitled content) and seeking can push the bandwidth requirements above 100Mbps.

Wait, why would transcoding on the fly require that? The transcoding machine is streaming the resulting output to the client (PS3).

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Hulu for the iPhone works better than PC.

It's a strange thing.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

God damnit. I told myself I wasn't going to buy Star Wars on Blu-Ray, especially the prequels.

Crackbone posted:

Wait, why would transcoding on the fly require that? The transcoding machine is streaming the resulting output to the client (PS3).

Depending on the streamer, compression efficiency is sacrificed for transcoding speed. In any event, I've seen PS3MS exhaust its buffer and start hitting peaks of 200Mbps on my network.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 23, 2011

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
"Anakin Kills Shaak Ti" How many times did they decide to (not) kill her? I'd never heard of some of these, and while a few are just animatics I'm still really stoked.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I want to get the region-free David Lynch Blu-Ray box set that was just released in Europe. Can anybody recommend a good way to import that (I live in Canada)? Do I just use Amazon.de and pay crazy shipping fees?

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Tree of Life pre-order is up, October 11th.

They updated it with the cover! It looks like something my mom would buy, and I'm pretty sure she wouldn't appreciate Malick. edit: nevermind looks like it's just a horrible poster/placeholder.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PeePot fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 24, 2011

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Lord Krangdar posted:

I want to get the region-free David Lynch Blu-Ray box set that was just released in Europe. Can anybody recommend a good way to import that (I live in Canada)? Do I just use Amazon.de and pay crazy shipping fees?

Amazon.de's shipping is expensive but it's usually relatively fast. CAD$59 all up isn't terrible.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Thanks.

Would movies imported from Europe normally have an English option (for menus and stuff)?

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 24, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The preorder for Blue Velvet on Amazon dropped to $15.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005HT400A

Amazon should adjust your preorder if you already placed one.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Thanks.

Would movies imported from Europe normally have an English option (for menus and stuff)?

It really depends on the studio releasing it. Looks like the David Lynch boxset goes right into the movie and has the standard pop-up menu. It isn't that hard to figure out what means what if it is in German.

User Review posted:

Finally, the presentation is beautiful. The movies come in a thick cardboard slip box and each film is in it's own standard blu-ray case. The films don't have a title menu, they just start playing, but they do have very cleverly designed pop-up menus that feature everything from on the fly audio changing from German to English to scene selection to special features.

Also Amazon.de's shipping is expensive if you only order one title but it isn't that bad if you order a couple movies.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 24, 2011

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

PeePot posted:

They updated it with the cover! It looks like something my mom would buy, and I'm pretty sure she wouldn't appreciate Malick. edit: nevermind looks like it's just a horrible poster/placeholder.

That looks about the quality of those fake posters Redbox uses sometimes.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

PeePot posted:

nevermind looks like it's just a horrible poster/placeholder.

That's likely the temporary cover until they can figure out how to photoshop Brad Pitt and Sean Penn's floating heads into the exploding cosmos.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Crackbone posted:

If you're only using it for streaming movies, yeah, but if you also use it as a gaming device, being able to download games and demos faster might be worth it. If you aren't going to be using it for games, than whoever said you were better off just getting a blu-ray player was right.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Skwirl posted:

If you're only using it for streaming movies, yeah, but if you also use it as a gaming device, being able to download games and demos faster might be worth it. If you aren't going to be using it for games, than whoever said you were better off just getting a blu-ray player was right.

Uh, no. Most internet connections max out at well under 100Mb, let along 1000. At least in the US. Even if you live somewhere with gigabit internet there's no certainty Sony is going to deliver content at the full speed of your connection.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
For what it's worth, I'd still recommend a PS3 for those based in the UK because you get BBC Iplayer, 4OD, ITV On Demand and Lovefilm streaming with it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
We (family) bought a blu-ray player today, I set it up this afternoon (although had to go out and buy another hdmi cable)

We got a new 64inch Samsung LED a few months ago (3d tv, because dad loves gimmicks) and we picked up the newest 6000 series home theater system today. We were going to buy it with the TV but were told the next model was coming out soon with a 3d player in the bundle.

Set it up and watched Wall-E just then, looked pretty sharp but without a dvd comparison it doesn't stand out just yet. Apart from the surround sound that is.

I guess I'll have to go on a blu-ray shopping spree on amazon. Any reccomended blu-rays? I have a pretty large dvd collection and may consider doubling up a few movies eventually if the conversion process was good for that film. I haven't really floolowed blu-ray much at all in recent years but I know some people complains about some releases removing film grain and adding sharpness filters and such.

tldr: Tell me what good quality blu-rays to get. Yes, Planet Earth and Life will be bought very quickly (again) in blu-ray.

edit: Australian, so I'll be using amazon.co.uk and the home theater package was the Samsung HTD6750W 7.1

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

drunkill posted:

tldr: Tell me what good quality blu-rays to get. Yes, Planet Earth and Life will be bought very quickly (again) in blu-ray.

The following page is a pretty comprehensive attempt at ranking Blu-Ray releases based on quality:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1168342

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

drunkill posted:

Set it up and watched Wall-E just then, looked pretty sharp but without a dvd comparison it doesn't stand out just yet. Apart from the surround sound that is.

Did you turn off most of the "enhancements" on the TV? Alot of new TVs gently caress with the picture by default (grain removal, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_interpolation, etc)

When my friend bought his 55" TV, everything looked weird until I turned all of that stuff off and calibrated the colors.

drunkill posted:

I guess I'll have to go on a blu-ray shopping spree on amazon. Any reccomended blu-rays? I have a pretty large dvd collection and may consider doubling up a few movies eventually if the conversion process was good for that film. I haven't really floolowed blu-ray much at all in recent years but I know some people complains about some releases removing film grain and adding sharpness filters and such.

Older movies are where Blu-Ray really shines. Almost any movie from Criterion (Red Desert or Paris, Texas or Black Narcissus are mindblowing). Taxi Driver was really impressive and Sony did a great job with the transfer. 2001 is a must buy.

Baraka is my default disc to show off Blu-Ray to friends.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Kino is releasing Birth of a Nation and Way Down East on 11/22.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Sporadic posted:

Almost any movie from Criterion
Isn't really going to help him as an Australian. All Criterions are region locked to A.

drunkill posted:

Alien Anthology is something like AU$28 shipped from Amazon UK. Buy it. Blade Runner, Rango, Taxi Driver, and Braveheart all have pretty amazing transfers for one reason or another.

Also keep in mind that unlike DVD, many Blu-Ray releases aren't region locked, so you can import certain US titles if you check their region status first. Unfortunately most Disney and all Criterion Blus are.

And yeah, make sure you turn off that MotionPlus bullshit.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 26, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

frumpsnake posted:

Isn't really going to help him as an Australian. All Criterions are region locked to A.

If he is willing to import, Black Narcissus and Red Desert both received releases in the UK.

Black Narcissus (Criterion US)

vs

Black Narcissus (UK)

Red Desert (Criterion US)

vs

Red Desert (UK)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino is releasing D.W. Griffith's The Birth of a Nation and Way Down East on Nov. 22, according to Blu-ray.com.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Evil Dead 2 is getting re-released for its 25th anniversary. If what I heard is right, it will have a new making of documentary, a new Bruce Campbell commentary track and other goodies.

Amazon preorder is only $10.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005J9ZE5I

Egbert Souse posted:

Kino is releasing D.W. Griffith's The Birth of a Nation and Way Down East on Nov. 22, according to Blu-ray.com.

The Birth Of A Nation preorder is up at Amazon ($27.99) and it has all the details about it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005J7K9CI

quote:

[DISC 1 - Blu-ray]: Nearly 100 years after its initial release, THE BIRTH OF A NATION remains one of the most controversial films ever made and a landmark achievement in film history that continues to fascinate and enrage audiences. It is the epic story of two families, one northern and one southern, during and after the Civil War. D. W. Griffith's masterful direction combines brilliant battle scenes and tender romance with a vicious portrayal of African-Americans. It was the greatest feature-length blockbuster yet to be produced in the United States and the first to be shown in the White House. After seeing it, President Woodrow Wilson remarked it was ''like writing history with lightning!'' However flawed, the film made history. In cities and states across the country, it energized the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), which tried to have the film banned and censored. The film also inspired African Americans to move into filmmaking as a way to offer alternative images and stories. BRAND NEW HD TRANSFER AND FIRST TIME EVER ON BLU-RAY!

[DISC 2 - SD DVD]: SPECIAL FEATURES (ported over from the previous edition DVD): 2-Disc Special Edition LOADED with Bonus Features including: ''The Making of The Birth of a Nation'' (1992. 24 mins. Produced by David Shepard), Filmed prologue to The Birth of a Nation (1930. 6 mins. Featuring D. W. Griffith and Walter Huston), Civil War Shorts directed by D. W. Griffith: In the Border States (1910. 16 mins.) The House with the Closed Shutters (1910. 17 mins.) The Fugitive (1910. 17 mins.) His Trust (1910. 14 mins. -- courtesy David Shepard. Music by Robert Israel, performed by the Biograph Quartet) His Trust Fulfilled (1910. 11 mins.) Swords and Hearts (1911. 16 mins.) The Battle (1911. 17 mins.), New York vs. The Birth of a Nation -- an archive of information documenting the battles over the film's 1922 re-release, including protests by the NAACP, transcripts of meetings, legal documents, newspaper articles, and a montage of scenes ordered cut by the New York Censor Board. Excerpts from a The Birth of a Nation souvenir book (1915) and several original programs.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 27, 2011

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Sporadic posted:

Evil Dead 2 is getting re-released for its 25th anniversary. If what I heard is right, it will have a new making of documentary, a new Bruce Campbell commentary track and other goodies.

A new transfer, maybe?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

RichterIX posted:

A new transfer, maybe?

All signs point to...maybe.

quote:

While chatting up all those Sam Raimi associates, Felsher has also been talking to them about EVIL DEAD II, which Lionsgate Home Entertainment issues on a new Blu-ray currently slated for November 15. While Felsher can’t reveal everything you can expect to find on this disc, he does tell us, “There will be a huge making-of documentary with over two dozen members of the cast and crew [including Campbell, pictured above], and much more. Also, Lionsgate is aware of how dissatisfied people were with the transfer on the previous EVIL DEAD II Blu-ray, and are taking steps to solve that issue for the new edition.” Keep your eyes on this site for further details!

http://www.fangoria.com/index.php?o...news&Itemid=167

- edit It seems like Blu-Ray.com posted what new special features it is going to have.

quote:

Lionsgate's Blu-ray of Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn features a roster of newly-produced supplementary materials. Early reports indicate that these materials include the following:
- All-new audio commentary with cast/crew
- All-new Swallowed Souls: The Making of Evil Dead II documentary
- All-new Road to Wadesboro: The Location of Evil Dead II featurette
- All-new Cabin Fever: Behind the Scenes of Evil Dead II" featurette
- All-new Evil Dead II interactive archive, featuring production stills, marketing materials, production stills, and early effects tests
- Vintage featurettes and behind-the-scenes footage
- TV spots and trailers

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 27, 2011

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Why does it need a new commentary track? The one already on the DVD is not only hilarious, but extremely interesting and revealing. But who am I to complain, if they can be as interesting and funny as the first time then let them make another.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If they do a new one, keep both, I love how Bruce slams the fans here and there.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Anchor Bay probably refused to license the commentary track to Lionsgate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Clint Eastwood Collection is Amazon's Deal Of The Week.

$52.99 for:

Absolute Power
Dirty Harry
Gran Torino
Kelly's Heroes
Letters From Iwo Jima
Million Dollar Baby
Mystic River
The Rookie
Unforgiven
Where Eagles Dare

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B003AT9D6U

- edit And Warner put them all in one box which is pretty cool (at least I think it is)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 28, 2011

• Locked thread