Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

So, I just checked my usage over the past 12 months, and with a rooted HTC Hero the most data I've used in any month is about 50 megs. I'm basically ALWAYS near a WiFi signal.

I'm interested in getting an iPhone, but the trick is, I do like to occasionally tether with my rooted Hero. This happens maybe like five times a year: stuck in an airport and wanting to go online with my netbook, needing to use a keyboard to write an email in the car real quick, etc. Never anything truly substantial.

What sucks is, all of the carriers seem to assume that if you tether, you're gonna use terabytes of data. ATT and Verizon both make you purchase at least 4gig packages to tether, while Sprint requires that $30 add-on pack. I think it's bullshit; if I want to use my monthly 200mb of broadband data on my laptop instead of on my iPhone, that's no skin off your back, AT&T.

Anyway, what are the chances of me being able to get away with occasional tethering on an iPhone 4S on Sprint? Would I have to jailbreak it? Is that still possible?

You will have to jailbreak it just like you had to root your Hero, and currently chances are good. Fyi that can always change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Duckman2008 posted:

Take it to a tech center, that's a known issue.

I've got the phone rooted and running Cyanogenmod, am I going to get in trouble :ohdear:

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

900ftjesus posted:

This will actually help 3G streaming.

1) Click on phone and dial ##DATA# (##3282#)
2) Click on "Edit Mode"
3) Type in your MSL code (see above if you don't have it yet)
4) Choose Advanced
5) Choose RSTP/HTTP Setting
6) Change both IP addresses to 0.0.0.0
7) Change both ports to 0
8) Hit Back button until you're back at your home screen, no restart needed.

Now you're not using Sprint's data proxy.

EDIT: This will very likely reset itself if you flash a ROM, so check it after flashing.

EDIT2: This is set on a lot if not all phones, but the location may differ. You're looking for "RSTP proxy IP" and "HTTP proxy IP" and the default settings are:

RTSP proxy IP = rtsp.vog.sprintpcs.com
RTSP proxy port = 554
HTTP proxy IP = pd.vog.sprintpcs.com
HTTP proxy port = 8085

New settings:
RTSP proxy IP to: 0.0.0.0
RTSP proxy port to: 0
HTTP proxy IP to: 0.0.0.0
HTTP proxy port to: 0

Does this apply to the Evo 4G as well (not 100% sure which phone you're talking about)? And if so, I don't suppose there's any way to deal with that without flashing a Sense ROM to get the dialer codes to work?

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Duckman2008 posted:

You will have to jailbreak it just like you had to root your Hero, and currently chances are good. Fyi that can always change.

Thanks for the quick answer!

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What are my options for getting Android on SERO? I know I can upgrade to the $60/mo. plan, but is there anyway I can unlock a Boost Mobile/Virgin/etc. Android phone to work with my current SERO plan or am I doomed with the old Touch Pro 2?

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
I asked this same question a few pages back. Word on the street is that you're basically doomed. Some people have even reported that they've had to upgrade from their $30 SERO plans to add a new TP2. Our options appear to be: (1) hold out with our current phones; (2) stop being cheap and just upgrade out SERO plans; or (3) find out more about the possibility of adding a new dumbphone to our plans without upgrading them.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

No. 9 posted:

What are my options for getting Android on SERO? I know I can upgrade to the $60/mo. plan, but is there anyway I can unlock a Boost Mobile/Virgin/etc. Android phone to work with my current SERO plan or am I doomed with the old Touch Pro 2?

There is now a SERO Premium and SERO-P + Premium. A bunch of 3G phones are available for $40/mo, and 4G phones and the iPhone are $50/mo.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Fyi whomever told you that AAA doubles with your customer discount is dead dead wrong. You get one or the other. What I would do is start with AAA to waive to activation fee, then file to switch to your company discount that is probably higher than 10%.
Looks like you are right.

I guess I didn't clarify it enough with the first support rep I had on chat. I went back on and had them check and they somehow have me down as AAA, but at the 25% rate my corp discount was. (Wtf?)

So I guess my discount will be the same, but I will get the waived activation out of it.

Will have to see what my next statement looks like.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Toebone posted:

I've got the phone rooted and running Cyanogenmod, am I going to get in trouble :ohdear:

Nope, Sprint/HTC doesn't care and either way its a hardware issue.

No. 9 posted:

Whatever the logo is on the phone, that's the network it must go on with both Sprint and Verizon owned entities. Either way Sprint phones are better so your question is irrelevant.

You can get either $40 SERO for 3G android phones or $50 SERO for 4G aka "great" Android phones. Personally, get your money's worth, get the 3D, Photon, etc. If you MUST save $10 a month the LG Marquee is the best 3G only Android phone.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Thanks guys, the Android port on the TP2 just isn't cutting it. :cheers:

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

brc64 posted:

Does this apply to the Evo 4G as well (not 100% sure which phone you're talking about)? And if so, I don't suppose there's any way to deal with that without flashing a Sense ROM to get the dialer codes to work?

It's set on a lot of phones, definitely the Evo 4G.

The WiMAX settings I posted on the last page apply to the E3D, E4G, possibly the Samsung/Moto 4G phones too but I've never looked on those.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
If I ordered a phone with a port and I refuse the shipment (sending the phone back to Sprint) without ever activating it, does the port still go through somehow? If not, when does the port request get released from the other carrier?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Got my Photon in! :woop:

But I'm going to wait until I get this billing issue cleared up before I activate it. They charged me for a "Self Service Equipment Repair" for a replacement that was never completed.

I've emailed the rep that told me to email her if I have any further issues. If/when they don't respond by tomorrow, I call up again.

:argh:

Edit:

Confirmation no.: 642484206 Date/Time: Oct 12, 2011 09:26 pm(CST)
On 10/12/2011, an adjustment in the amount of $37.45 was applied to your account.

Confirmation no.: 642486184 Date/Time: Oct 12, 2011 09:34 pm(CST)
A previous adjustment made to your account was reversed on 10/12/2011 in the amount of -37.45.

:laffo:

Amazing Customer Service~!

I guess I'll attack the problem again tomorrow. The Photon is pretty ridic though.

Matlock fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 13, 2011

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002
I've read through the past seven pages, and didn't see anything about this topic.

Does anyone know about Sprint's policy towards using GSM cards on unlocked phones that can facilitate world roaming? I managed to pick up an unlocked iPhone 4S from the Apple Store for cheap last night, and I'm curious how it's going to work when I transfer my Premier SERO account over to it. I'm reading conflicting reports on how Sprint is going to deal with unlocked iPhones, and how they are going to lock/unlock the microsim. Anyone have any ideas?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Abeya Minora posted:

I've read through the past seven pages, and didn't see anything about this topic.

Does anyone know about Sprint's policy towards using GSM cards on unlocked phones that can facilitate world roaming? I managed to pick up an unlocked iPhone 4S from the Apple Store for cheap last night, and I'm curious how it's going to work when I transfer my Premier SERO account over to it. I'm reading conflicting reports on how Sprint is going to deal with unlocked iPhones, and how they are going to lock/unlock the microsim. Anyone have any ideas?
The SIM card slot in Sprint worldphones is only used when visiting other countries. Its GSM radio is incapable of communicating with domestic GSM providers. If my old Touch Pro2 is any indication, you won't need to worry about any sort of unlocking. You can just take it overseas and it works.

edit: Wait, are you sure you even got a Sprint iPhone? I don't expect that Sprint is going to allow it to be activated on their network unless its serial number is in their Sprint database.

td4guy fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Oct 13, 2011

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Abeya Minora posted:

According to Apple you won't be able to use it on Sprint.

quote:

The unlocked iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S will not work with CDMA-based carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint.

PS: How does one get an unlocked 4S from an Apple Store for cheap before the release date? :psyduck:

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002

quadratic posted:

According to Apple you won't be able to use it on Sprint.

PS: How does one get an unlocked 4S from an Apple Store for cheap before the release date? :psyduck:

They fixed it on their website, but there was a url coupon exploit that allowed you to purchase it with the ICARUS SUBSIDIZED PHONE version of various iphone 4s, by manually malforming the store identities. Again, it's fixed, and they cancelled a few of my friends orders, but I have currently being prepared for shipment a "iPhone 4S 16GB White Sprint- UNLOCKED".

Here's the URL I used for mine - I'm told it doesnt work at all anymore, but yrmv http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD378LL/A?select=select&product=MD378LL/A&cppart=UNLOCKED/US

Downtown Abey fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 13, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Abeya Minora posted:

Fyi, officially the sprint iPhone 4S is LOCKED, as in you cannot use other sim cards with it. Sprint currently does not have an unlocking policy, so the only solution is jailbreaking.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Abeya Minora posted:

They fixed it on their website, but there was a url coupon exploit that allowed you to purchase it with the ICARUS SUBSIDIZED PHONE version of various iphone 4s, by manually malforming the store identities. Again, it's fixed, and they cancelled a few of my friends orders, but I have currently being prepared for shipment a "iPhone 4S 16GB White Sprint- UNLOCKED".

Here's the URL I used for mine - I'm told it doesnt work at all anymore, but yrmv http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD378LL/A?select=select&product=MD378LL/A&cppart=UNLOCKED/US

I can't make sense of this. :psyduck:

The unlocked phones definitely all say GSM only with no support from Verizon or Sprint letting you on their network with one so I assume that part of the description is a goof caused by the weird url business? And meanwhile the idea is to pray Apple somehow lets a phone go out to door for the cost of one with a new 2 year contract..except without the contract? I tried the 32GB black one just to play along and it shows the

quote:

fullDiscount
fullPrice [Add $450.00]

toggle thing on product selection.

I tried looked for that ICARUS subsidy you mentioned but had no luck finding anything concrete. It seems like it will let me click all the way through to the confirmation with the subsidized-priced phone minus the contract, Sprint version. I don't care really at all about the locked GSM besides the principle of them just being tightwads. The only difference would be I wouldn't be signing up for a 2 year plan if this questionable loophole works, but as a SERO cling-on its kinda really a bit of a comfort knowing I'd be locked in for a bit longer on paper.

:psyduck:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Yeah, just because you found a broken URL that lets you buy a product that doesn't exist, doesn't mean the company is obligated to sell it to you.

It doesn't exist.

At best, you're going to get a GSM iPhone that you'll be able to use with AT&T and T-Mobile without a contract.

At best.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

The $900 item for $9.00 pricing errors never pulled through when I was a young dumb kid so I went ahead and gave this weird mess a shot. Confirmation received, readying to get the cancellation in a matter of time.

:madmax:

Really zero reason this is much of an advantage if it works out besides as I said, lack of a contract I would have signed anyways is the only difference. Fully expecting this to be cancelled pretty quick so I'll just hop by a Sprint store tomorrow with zero expectations but never can know. I got my iPad 2 during the midst of launch when I went to a Best Buy on a Sunday 15 minutes before they closed expecting zilch but they ended up having like 4 brand new boxes sitting in a cabinet that the employees didn't know came in that day. I expect even less competence from Sprint!

On my order email it simply says:

quote:

IPHONE 4S BLACK 32GB SPRINT-USA

$299.00

$299.00

Ships: 1 - 2 Weeks
Delivers Oct 26 - Nov 2 by Standard Shipping
Part Number: MD379LL/A

Not that goofy weird UNLOCKED item he seems to have booked. Still expect nothing.

I have no faith this will sit for 13 days unnoticed and then ship and then happily work with my service if it somehow made it that far but I'm still itching to know what in the world that ICARUS SUBSIDIZED PHONE deal is about. I searched but nothing blatant seemed to show.

Bulgakov fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 13, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bulgakov posted:

The $900 item for $9.00 pricing errors never pulled through when I was a young dumb kid so I went ahead and gave this weird mess a shot. Confirmation received, readying to get the cancellation in a matter of time.

:madmax:

Really zero reason this is much of an advantage if it works out besides as I said, lack of a contract I would have signed anyways is the only difference. Fully expecting this to be cancelled pretty quick so I'll just hop by a Sprint store tomorrow with zero expectations but never can know. I got my iPad 2 during the midst of launch when I went to a Best Buy on a Sunday 15 minutes before they closed expecting zilch but they ended up having like 4 brand new boxes sitting in a cabinet that the employees didn't know came in that day. I expect even less competence from Sprint!

On my order email it simply says:

Not that goofy weird UNLOCKED item he seems to have booked. Still expect nothing.

I have no faith this will sit for 13 days unnoticed and then ship and then happily work with my service if it somehow made it that far but I'm still itching to know what in the world that ICARUS SUBSIDIZED PHONE deal is about. I searched but nothing blatant seemed to show.

Sprint employees, unlike best buy, work off of commission. Trust me when I tell you that there is no way an employee will let iphones sit. Stores open at 8am and they will be gone as fast as the employees can ring them out.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Bulgakov posted:

but as a SERO cling-on its kinda really a bit of a comfort knowing I'd be locked in for a bit longer on paper.
So I've heard this kind of reasoning before and just wanted to comment that it doesn't really hold up.

Sprint is under zero obligation to provide you with SERO-rate phone service through the duration of the contract. They can let you go at any time, but if they do, you walk away sans ETF. Which is exactly the same as not being locked in a contract.

And if you do want to keep service with Sprint, you have to accept any changes they might throw at you regardless of what you agree upon at signing time. They could force you off SERO pricing tomorrow. They won't (and they won't for off contract SERO either). But as a concrete example, consider that by official policy existing SERO users have to pay $40/mo after activating a new smartphone, even if it's just a replacement TP2, while still under contract.

Now, Sprint's pretty liberal with regard to that situation, reverting on-contract folks to pre-premium data pricing when they were seriously just replacing a broken phone. And apparently you can activate TP2s online without a pricing change. But still, sign contracts for upgrades, not for any "protection".

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Oh God... I did some research and found that the iPhone syncs with Google contacts/calendar/etc. My main reason for sticking with Android was Google integration, and now that argument has evaporated.

With the problems the SGSIIE4GT and Evo 3D have with reception and radios, the iPhone is looking more and more like a viable option even though I hate Apple. gently caress.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Still no out-of-the-box GPS navigation though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

Oh God... I did some research and found that the iPhone syncs with Google contacts/calendar/etc. My main reason for sticking with Android was Google integration, and now that argument has evaporated.
For what it's worth, it doesn't do it quite as well.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Still no out-of-the-box GPS navigation though.
Sprint Everything plans come with a subscription to TeleNav, available in the App Store.

Regarding Google Sync on iOS, you can set it up as a Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync account for push email. Calendar and contacts work fine. Gmail won't offer all the same functionality if you make use of priority inbox, flags, categories, etc.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 13, 2011

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

goku chewbacca posted:

Sprint Everything plans come with a subscription to TeleNav, available in the App Store.

Is it any good? The Android app seemed ok, but I never really used it much.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

goku chewbacca posted:

Oh cool. I looked into that recently and it's $22/yr on Verizon.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Casao posted:

Is it any good? The Android app seemed ok, but I never really used it much.
I've used it on Android, and its OK for free. I'd never pay $3/month for it. Certainly won't be as seemless as Gmaps lookup --> Nav. I don't think iOS let's you change program action defaults like Android, so don't expect TeleNav to integrate itself into the OS and recognize addresses in the contact book or on web pages. I doubt it'll be voice command/Sirri compatible. And it won't let you precache map tiles like Gmaps. I'm not sure if it can continue to track GPS position and give voice commands once data is lost, either.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

goku chewbacca posted:

Regarding Google Sync on iOS, you can set it up as a Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync account for push email. Calendar and contacts work fine. Gmail won't offer all the same functionality if you make use of priority inbox, flags, categories, etc.
Push only, eh? The video on Google Sync's page seems to show the info going both ways. So if I make a calendar entry on the iPhone, it doesn't show up on the Google calendar? And I can't send an email from the iPhone? Contacts and calendar are my primary concern - the email would exist for times when I don't have access to a PC.

I'm going to have to try this out on my iPad and see how well (or not) the sync works.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

goku chewbacca posted:

Certainly won't be as seemless as Gmaps lookup --> Nav.

I do this every single day. Our corporate CMS puts addresses automatically into my exchange calendar, I can jump in the car having no idea where I'm going and a few taps and no typing later have navigation up. Now that the notifications are fixed it's the biggest thing keeping me away from iphone.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

berzerkmonkey posted:

Push only, eh? The video on Google Sync's page seems to show the info going both ways. So if I make a calendar entry on the iPhone, it doesn't show up on the Google calendar? And I can't send an email from the iPhone? Contacts and calendar are my primary concern - the email would exist for times when I don't have access to a PC.

I'm going to have to try this out on my iPad and see how well (or not) the sync works.
No, it'll sync Cal, contacts, and mail both ways just like a corporate Exchange account.

Push just means it'll receive to email right away without maintaining a polling schedule. It uses voodoo black magic to maintain a connection to the server, and I think the server triggers the client to download new emails when they arrive.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

'push' doesn't mean one way communication, it's the term for a server contacting the mobile client with new information, rather than waiting for the client to contact it (ie. you get emails immediately, instead of your email client only checking every x minutes). You can send emails just fine, and contacts and calendar entries also sync fine.

efb

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So I've heard this kind of reasoning before and just wanted to comment that it doesn't really hold up.

Sprint is under zero obligation to provide you with SERO-rate phone service through the duration of the contract. They can let you go at any time, but if they do, you walk away sans ETF. Which is exactly the same as not being locked in a contract.

And if you do want to keep service with Sprint, you have to accept any changes they might throw at you regardless of what you agree upon at signing time. They could force you off SERO pricing tomorrow. They won't (and they won't for off contract SERO either). But as a concrete example, consider that by official policy existing SERO users have to pay $40/mo after activating a new smartphone, even if it's just a replacement TP2, while still under contract.

Now, Sprint's pretty liberal with regard to that situation, reverting on-contract folks to pre-premium data pricing when they were seriously just replacing a broken phone. And apparently you can activate TP2s online without a pricing change. But still, sign contracts for upgrades, not for any "protection".

Yeh deep down I know that but I want to believe anyways that if they go under or something else involving major business change that in the magical unicorn universe I wouldn't get hosed 100% by the new corporate owners thanks to the fantasy scene where the old moldy contract gets found in old filing cabinets that were inherited and I get some sort of half-assed grandfathered plan

and pigs will fly :catstare:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint employees, unlike best buy, work off of commission. Trust me when I tell you that there is no way an employee will let iphones sit. Stores open at 8am and they will be gone as fast as the employees can ring them out.

Its a Sprint store so there will be one hidden behind some of the tumbleweeds blowing around!

I've been curious if they've moved retentions people into sales jobs or something similar due to high hopes that things will get better. For a company that has to deal with so many lost subscribers it seems like it'd be a pretty radical shift if they didn't have to deal with the avalanche of defectors like usual, instead actually needing more people to make sales.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
What's the consensus on the Nexus S? I took Duckmans advice, took to sprint and they said they'd have to ship me out a new EVO since this is the third time overheating has broken my phone. They offered me the Nexus so I went with that thinking it may hold me off this year but just want to know if it's a reliable phone at all. Half tempted to take up on ordering that $200 iPhone order but I'd hate to be stuck with a $200 phone that won't work on Sprint. Plus chances are they'd cancel it anyway.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I wouldn't spend a subsidy on one now, but it's a reasonable sidegrade to the Evo. The nice part about it is that it's going to be the first device on Sprint to get ICS, both officially and unofficially. So in some ways it's a better short-term option than the Evo 3D, and by the time other phones finally get ICS, hopefully Sprint will have the next Nexus device and you'll be eligible for a two-year upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I wouldn't spend a subsidy on one now, but it's a reasonable sidegrade to the Evo. The nice part about it is that it's going to be the first device on Sprint to get ICS, both officially and unofficially. So in some ways it's a better short-term option than the Evo 3D, and by the time other phones finally get ICS, hopefully Sprint will have the next Nexus device and you'll be eligible for a two-year upgrade.

Cosign on that. The disadvantages I see are that it won't have Sense 3.0 ROMs, has a smaller screen and the WiMAX radio was crapping out a lot, but I believe that's been fixed with an update.

Advantages are that it'll have better battery life owing to the smaller screen and newer processor, and first to ICS of the two.