Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I wonder what some of the specific answers in the 70+ bracket were. "She's a thousand; Hot Springs is a Lazarus pit."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Spun Dog posted:

Too early for this (hilarious) mental image. And it's SNOWMACHINE, scrub.

Snow machines are what they use to bulk up ski slopes during a dry season.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

The Entire Universe posted:

Snow machines are what they use to bulk up ski slopes during a dry season.

Those are snow guns or snow makers, and the slopes are then groomed by snow cats.

Even by our usual standards, this is an odd derail.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Those are snow guns or snow makers, and the slopes are then groomed by snow cats.

Even by our usual standards, this is an odd derail.

Now, when I drive my snocatwmachine to the store, what kind of cheap beer is best?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Chantilly Say posted:

Now, when I drive my snocatwmachine to the store, what kind of cheap beer is best?

Icehouse.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Icemobile.

Is not knowing the age of hillary clinton really a thing? Good lord.

Interesting hypothetical though, the youngest age for potus is constitutionally mandated, but whats the oldest candidate you'd personally vote for? McCain was ancient but he lost, and with older presidents you don't get that soul sucky age-before-your-eyes spectacle we've had with our last two presidents. i'd say mid sixties, at the highest, personally.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Interesting hypothetical though, the youngest age for potus is constitutionally mandated, but whats the oldest candidate you'd personally vote for? McCain was ancient but he lost, and with older presidents you don't get that soul sucky age-before-your-eyes spectacle we've had with our last two presidents. i'd say mid sixties, at the highest, personally.

I don't know about picking an absolute maximum, it would depend on the candidate. Women do tend to live longer than men, though...

Now I'm thinking about what it would be like to have a president die in office of natural causes. It used to be pretty common, but I don't know how well people would handle it now.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Icemobile.

I'll just leave these here.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
You know who's a lot like Hitler? According to Hillary, Putin is.

quote:

“She compared issuing Russian passports to Ukrainians with ties to Russia with early actions by Nazi Germany before Hitler began invading neighboring countries,” Saltzgaver said. “She said, however, that while that makes people nervous, there is no indication that Putin is as irrational as the instigator of World War II.”

“She talked about how what Putin is doing now is similar to what Hitler did, essentially providing these ethnic Russians in the Crimea region access back to Russia,” said the second attendee. “And that it was destabilizing.”

She also basically paints Kerry as Chamberlain in this comparison.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Nth Doctor posted:

I'll just leave these here.

I'm not super happy with the prospect of voting for hillary in the first place, and i admitted that John McCain was exceedingly old when he ran.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I'm not super happy with the prospect of voting for hillary in the first place, and i admitted that John McCain was exceedingly old when he ran.

Even though she's going to be a similar age to what McCain was in 2008, McCain just seemed older. There was stuff like refusing to rule out use of force against Spain, or chanting "Bomb Bomb Bomb Iran."

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Plus there was that whole thing about McCain having been tortured for six years, having a long list of potential medical issues, and having picked Sarah Palin as his VP.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Skwirl posted:

Even though she's going to be a similar age to what McCain was in 2008, McCain just seemed older. There was stuff like refusing to rule out use of force against Spain, or chanting "Bomb Bomb Bomb Iran."

His injuries made him seem older, because he moved so slowly. Mitt Romney was only 7 years younger than McCain was when he ran, it looked like a difference of 30 years.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Joementum posted:

You know who's a lot like Hitler? According to Hillary, Putin is.

She also basically paints Kerry as Chamberlain in this comparison.

It's not a huge stretch to think that putin is cribbing out of Hitler's playbook. Bring a country back to the world stage after a catastrophic event, blame problems on a minority and encourage violence against said minority, be extremely popular to idiots, invade a country on the pretext that it's citizens are ethnically yours, host the olympics...

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

His injuries made him seem older, because he moved so slowly. Mitt Romney was only 7 years younger than McCain was when he ran, it looked like a difference of 30 years.
The fact that Romney was a teetoaler and non-smoker did wonders for his skin, and not having to spend 6 years in the Hanoi Hilton helped his mobility. Rmoney's hair dye was believable with his skin, that dye job on McCain would have been way too unbelievable.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Slate Action posted:

Plus there was that whole thing about McCain having been tortured for six years, having a long list of potential medical issues, and having picked Sarah Palin as his VP.

This, I know was a pretty big deal to a few Obamacans that I knew. If he'd been younger or she'd been less crazy they might not have voted for big O.

(They went back to the GOP on Romney though so, eh, gently caress 'em)

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

Icemobile.

How old is Bernie Sanders? In his seventies, right? Then the oldest president I'd be okay with would be in their seventies.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Age isn't a big factor for me, unless they have bad health or show signs of age-related mental issues. Unless you pick someone like Sarah Palin - not that I would have voted for McCain, but his age plus Palin as VP was an absolutely terrifying idea. Pick a decent VP and have decent mental health and I really don't care how old they are if they're a good president.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
McCain also would have been the oldest person ever elected to the Presidency for a first term, Hillary would still be younger than Reagan (and likely in considerably better health than either man).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DynamicSloth posted:

McCain also would have been the oldest person ever elected to the Presidency for a first term, Hillary would still be younger than Reagan (and likely in considerably better health than either man).

Also I'm pretty sure Hillary doesn't have Alzheimer's.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
I don't really like Hillary, but the idea of Republicans having to deal with going from a black potus to a woman potus is just to great of a opportunity to pass up.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Gygaxian posted:

How old is Bernie Sanders? In his seventies, right? Then the oldest president I'd be okay with would be in their seventies.

This is the right answer.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Winkie01 posted:

I don't really like Hillary, but the idea of Republicans having to deal with going from a black potus to a woman potus is just to great of a opportunity to pass up.

I honestly think they'll take it a lot better. Plus, sadly, most of the really fun ones are getting too up there in age to do much anymore.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

OneTwentySix posted:

Age isn't a big factor for me, unless they have bad health or show signs of age-related mental issues. Unless you pick someone like Sarah Palin - not that I would have voted for McCain, but his age plus Palin as VP was an absolutely terrifying idea. Pick a decent VP and have decent mental health and I really don't care how old they are if they're a good president.

Age is actually a significant issue for me because older politicians seem to have a predilection for 1) taking and defending horrible "conventional" positions, i.e., marijuana has to stay illegal, and 2) looking at today's problems through the lens of yesterday's battles, i.e., whining about how the Ukraine debacle is a "new cold war". Admittedly though that's just a rule of thumb not something I'm going to hold against an individual politician if they have the right positions and say and do the right things.

My larger issue with Hillary is simply that she's a Clinton and I oppose political dynasties. Again, if nothing else, today's problems are not the problems of the 1990's.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Age is actually a significant issue for me because older politicians seem to have a predilection for 1) taking and defending horrible "conventional" positions, i.e., marijuana has to stay illegal, and 2) looking at today's problems through the lens of yesterday's battles, i.e., whining about how the Ukraine debacle is a "new cold war". Admittedly though that's just a rule of thumb not something I'm going to hold against an individual politician if they have the right positions and say and do the right things.

My larger issue with Hillary is simply that she's a Clinton and I oppose political dynasties. Again, if nothing else, today's problems are not the problems of the 1990's.

Republicans are saying it's a new Cold War because they deem it politically beneficial to tack as hard right as possible whenever a foreign policy issue that they have no responsibility over comes up, and to characterize the issue in a way that makes sense for the old white people constituency. Hence we should be landing troops and settling it all right now, especially when we are in danger of finally having a peacetime-level force 20+ years after the Cold War ended.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
I do remember the Atlantic making a good point that Clinton's 'age' is a negative because she's been in politics for so long and she's going to have older campaign staff more prone to 'Serious Ideas'. I don't know if it was Matt O'Brien (ergo less likely to be concern troll) or Conor Friersdorf (more likely).

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Is Hillary Clinton's speech on Putin and the Ukraine a calculated attempt to position herself as more hawkish than the Obama administration, or is it just spontaneous comments?

I don't think the right-wing Hillary-haters are going to be mollified by anything that she says and does, but I suppose some independents might be happy to know she isn't purely a member of Team Obama, which will be a much harder case for Biden to make.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Barudak posted:

I honestly think they'll take it a lot better.

It's Hillary Clinton. They're going to go completely apoplectic the second she forms an exploratory committee. Probably sooner.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Do Americans really care about the qualifications of the president? What qualifications did Reagan have? I know Obama was criticized for his lack of experience but it didn't seem to matter in the end.

Seems like all you need is at least an ounce of charisma and a catchphrase and you have a good chance. That's why I thought Christie would be next.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Disco De Soto posted:

Do Americans really care about the qualifications of the president? What qualifications did Reagan have? .
Seriously? The guy was a nutbar but he was Governor of a state which is bigger than most countries for 8 years.

Obama had an exceptional political transcendence, most Presidents who weren't already a well known national commodity (i.e. VP) have been governors of large populous states (where they can fund-raise like crazy) .

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Disco De Soto posted:

What qualifications did Reagan have?

2 term Governor of California, former Union leader, and past runner up for the nomination who had been doing political poo poo since at least the 40s. Sure it's fun to laugh that the actor became President, but he did have a perfectly reasonable resume.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Gyges posted:

2 term Governor of California, former Union leader, and past runner up for the nomination who had been doing political poo poo since at least the 40s. Sure it's fun to laugh that the actor became President, but he did have a perfectly reasonable resume.

Yeah that and he shot up a bunch of students at Berkeley. Not a lot of folks can put "Quelled public dissent with military force" on their resume.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Kaal posted:

Yeah that and he shot up a bunch of students at Berkeley. Not a lot of folks can put "Quelled public dissent with military force" on their resume.

To be fair, his heart and his best intentions told him it's perfectly fine to kill students, but the facts and the evidence were ignored so no one cared about it.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

Is Hillary Clinton's speech on Putin and the Ukraine a calculated attempt to position herself as more hawkish than the Obama administration, or is it just spontaneous comments?

I don't think the right-wing Hillary-haters are going to be mollified by anything that she says and does, but I suppose some independents might be happy to know she isn't purely a member of Team Obama, which will be a much harder case for Biden to make.

Attempting to appeal to independents borders on completely useless for Clinton, even her own advisers must know that "Independent" in the vast majority of cases just means "The GOP are too liberal to call themselves the tea party so I'm not one of those RINO pricks." All she needs to do is focus on getting out the vote, the numbers are already on her side. If anything any comments on Ukraine would be to "toughen" her image because the certain line of attack on her in a general will be a thinly veiled focus on claiming that a bleeding heart woman doesn't have the stones to make manly man decisions so vote Republican.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 6, 2014

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Bernie Sanders "I Am Prepared to Run for President of the United States"

http://www.thenation.com/blog/178717/bernie-sanders-i-am-prepared-run-president-united-states

:circlefap:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

A Winner is Jew posted:

To be fair, his heart and his best intentions told him it's perfectly fine to kill students, but the facts and the evidence were ignored so no one cared about it.

To this day, it ASTOUNDS me that no one critically analyzed that loving sentence of his speech.

"Gee, the rear end in a top hat actually DID sell arms for hostages. Maybe we should look into this." Did ANYONE loving do that?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Winkie01 posted:

Bernie Sanders "I Am Prepared to Run for President of the United States"

http://www.thenation.com/blog/178717/bernie-sanders-i-am-prepared-run-president-united-states

The important part here is that he says he might run as a Democrat (or a Republican :lol:). It's the first interview in which he's said that.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'll cry such sweet loving tears if Bernie somehow ends up on a primary stage with Ted Cruz. I'll then drink my own tears.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Joementum posted:

The important part here is that he says he might run as a Democrat (or a Republican :lol:). It's the first interview in which he's said that.

Yeah, running as independent seems like a terrible idea because he'll just split the base. If he runs in a primary, he immediately turns the discussion left which is good. He won't win, but turning the conversation leftward might improve politics as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

Yeah, running as independent seems like a terrible idea because he'll just split the base.

He'd need to qualify for the ballot to stand any danger of splitting the base and that is extremely difficult to do. For example, Jill Stein (Green) was only on the ballot in 36 states and DC in 2012. The Libertarians even missed a couple states last cycle. There's also the problem that he'd be excluded from all the primary debates as a third party candidate and almost certainly the general election debates as well. He'd show up on MSNBC once a week or so, which is basically his current media footprint.

He'd get more national coverage from literally setting a pile of money on fire than the figurative approach of a third party Presidential campaign.

• Locked thread