Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
It seems like being a fan of comic books ruins any other media related to them. I don't really read any comic books, and I love stuff like Agents of Shield, Arrow, Flash, Daredevil, etc. Aren't different takes on characters and storylines a hallmark of comics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

FELD1 posted:

It seems like being a fan of comic books ruins any other media related to them. I don't really read any comic books, and I love stuff like Agents of Shield, Arrow, Flash, Daredevil, etc

I'm similar. I liked the Netflix Daredevil because I knew almost nothing about anybody going in. I thought Fisk was creepy and weird and also surprisingly scary when he wanted to be, and I think it was far more interesting than just a stereotypical mega crime boss, i've seen that before.

My issue with Daredevil was that it was basically just a Nolan batman TV show. He even did the growly voice "WHO ARE YOU WORKING FOR" bit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Febreeze posted:

My issue with Daredevil was that it was basically just a Nolan batman TV show. He even did the growly voice "WHO ARE YOU WORKING FOR" bit.

Perhaps he should have put on a lisp instead? That would have been much more intimidating than sounding like an angry animal.

I also don't see why people are hating on D'Onofrio's Fisk. He's playing the part as a man who, despite his power and strength, is constantly afraid. He's afraid of his allies, he's afraid of people in general, he's afraid to show his feelings. The only time he doesn't look afraid is when he's beating the poo poo out of people, but that capacity for violence makes him afraid of himself and afraid that he is like his father. It's a very interesting portrayal and a good contrast to "the Man Without Fear".

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
You guys have been talking about the comics and cartoons, but how does the netflix version compare to the ben affleck movie? I had never heard of the daredevil character until that, and based on what I thought of that I am hesitant to try the TV show.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

FELD1 posted:

It seems like being a fan of comic books ruins any other media related to them. I don't really read any comic books, and I love stuff like Agents of Shield, Arrow, Flash, Daredevil, etc. Aren't different takes on characters and storylines a hallmark of comics?

It's just like how a book snob gets mad at a movie adaptation of their favorite book because the actors are different from how the reader pictured the characters in their mind, or the movie isn't a shot-for-shot remake of all the scenes/dialogue from the book.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Murphy Brownback posted:

You guys have been talking about the comics and cartoons, but how does the netflix version compare to the ben affleck movie? I had never heard of the daredevil character until that, and based on what I thought of that I am hesitant to try the TV show.

It is sooooo much better than the Affleck movie, it puts it to shame, and I'm saying that as somebody who enjoyed the movie.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Murphy Brownback posted:

The movie is better because in it Daredevil is actually blind as well as having super powers. In the netflix show his blindness is just cosmetic, he actually sees way better than everyone else at all times. As is his Catholicism. Daredevil is a blank slate hero with nothing interesting to explore.

For some reason they also decided to present the characters as established in their roles of vigilante & crime boss, and THEN have them go through origin stories to become those same things. Neither main character's arc makes any sort of sense.

It's also padded to hell with overlong scenes and two characters decide to have "cute" banter instead of escaping from two men who just tried to sexually assault one of them. They don't report this to the police, even though the men are criminals directly involved in the conspiracy they're trying to unravel.

It's typical superhero poo poo with an extra dose of edgy violence and gruff voices.

The movie features Colin Farrell having the time of his life. It wins by a clear margin.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sassassin posted:

The movie features Colin Farrell having the time of his life. It wins by a clear margin.

Farrell was poo poo as Bulleye and he was the best part of the movie.

The Netflix show is pretty true to the Frank Miller run of Daredevil in 80s.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
All my comic book nerd friends don't like new Daredevil but I really have no idea about any of the characters in the show so it's a really fun and kind of intense watch. That single take hallway fight from episode 2 was awesome.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Jedit posted:

Perhaps he should have put on a lisp instead? That would have been much more intimidating than sounding like an angry animal.

I also don't see why people are hating on D'Onofrio's Fisk. He's playing the part as a man who, despite his power and strength, is constantly afraid. He's afraid of his allies, he's afraid of people in general, he's afraid to show his feelings. The only time he doesn't look afraid is when he's beating the poo poo out of people, but that capacity for violence makes him afraid of himself and afraid that he is like his father. It's a very interesting portrayal and a good contrast to "the Man Without Fear".

I love DiNofrio's take on Kingpin. We all know he becomes hard as gently caress, but it's nice to see he's still nervous with the ladies like a regular Joe.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

I also don't see why people are hating on D'Onofrio's Fisk.

Oh poo poo, D'Onofrio is on this show? Sold, I don't read the comics anyway.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fart Sandwiches posted:

All my comic book nerd friends don't like new Daredevil but I really have no idea about any of the characters in the show so it's a really fun and kind of intense watch. That single take hallway fight from episode 2 was awesome.

It's at least 3 separate shots.

I don't like comic book stuff much at all, and only watched it cause I was told it was different than the usual genre bullshit. But it's not at all.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

10 Beers posted:

I love DiNofrio's take on Kingpin. We all know he becomes hard as gently caress, but it's nice to see he's still nervous with the ladies like a regular Joe.

Up to the point I watched he was nervous around pretty much everyone. How he was in charge of the crime groups at the beginning of the show I don't know because he looks ready to poo poo himself whenever any of them ask him a question.

It's cool to have a villain it's impossible for the audience to have any respect for (see also: Battleship, where the director obviously hates aliens & sci-fi in general), unfortunately it doesn't make for compelling television imo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's one take.

The reason they have him go off screen a few times isn't to cut, it's to switch stunt doubles. They used 8 doubles for the scene.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If they'd used 3 separate shots it might not have looked so awkward and they could have avoided showing that one knee halfway through that misses by a good six inches of daylight. There's was no need for it all to be in one given how the camera swings around. Shot themselves in the foot trying to show off.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I like the part where they corner Vince D'onofrio and they're like PUT YOUR HANDS ON YOUR HEAD and he's like "You want me to put my hands... On my head... Like this?"

Classic D'onofrio.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Febreeze posted:

I'm similar. I liked the Netflix Daredevil because I knew almost nothing about anybody going in. I thought Fisk was creepy and weird and also surprisingly scary when he wanted to be, and I think it was far more interesting than just a stereotypical mega crime boss, i've seen that before.

If you don't like that be prepared to hate all Comic based movies for the next decade. The Nolan films were immensely successful and will be directly emulated by most superhero media in the near future.

ElGroucho posted:

Oh poo poo, D'Onofrio is on this show? Sold, I don't read the comics anyway.

Same. I was like "Daredevil? Eh" but now I'm gonna watch some tonight.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's not like there's many other shows on Netflix anymore. Constantly seems like they're dropping more and more things.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Len posted:

It's not like there's many other shows on Netflix anymore. Constantly seems like they're dropping more and more things.

Yeah they're having and issue with licensing stuff. A bunch of stuff is coming up for renewal and they have more competitors trying to get content and pushing the price up. On the flip side they've ramped up their production of original content because they can keep competitors from getting it and they don't have to deal with licensing negotiations.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
why is the song "hooray for hollywood" featured in the opening and the credits of the long goodbye? what does it have to do with anything?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

spectres of autism posted:

why is the song "hooray for hollywood" featured in the opening and the credits of the long goodbye? what does it have to do with anything?

Elliott Gould wearing blackface to show his disrespect to his police interrogators was weird. That movie was weird.

I don't remember that song being in the movie because I only remember the blackface and the weird vignettes with his cat, but I feel like the most annoying thing a movie scriptwriter can do is make in jokes about LA like anyone outside of LA gives a poo poo. I can only imagine hooray for hollywood was something like that, it probably made a producer laugh and so it's in.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

sassassin posted:

The movie is better because in it Daredevil is actually blind as well as having super powers. In the netflix show his blindness is just cosmetic, he actually sees way better than everyone else at all times. As is his Catholicism. Daredevil is a blank slate hero with nothing interesting to explore.

For some reason they also decided to present the characters as established in their roles of vigilante & crime boss, and THEN have them go through origin stories to become those same things. Neither main character's arc makes any sort of sense.

It's also padded to hell with overlong scenes and two characters decide to have "cute" banter instead of escaping from two men who just tried to sexually assault one of them. They don't report this to the police, even though the men are criminals directly involved in the conspiracy they're trying to unravel.

It's typical superhero poo poo with an extra dose of edgy violence and gruff voices.

This is the wrongest possible post.
Apart from Farrell seems like he's having a great time.

TV Daredevil is blind as gently caress but every other sense works a million times better.

Also I don't know how people don't find Fisk terrifying. The fact that he's awkward is pretty much showing how hard he finds it just to be a person at all.
There's also the fact that if you annoy him at all he might go from quiet to smashing your head into the loving floor in two seconds.
I did find it funny he has his normal voice and then his silly "kingpin" voice.

Glad Marvels got some deal around Spider-man now, it made me hopeful that Urich might show up in the next Spider-man movie until Fisk turned up at his house and choked him to death

If there's any irrating moment it's that his black outfit looks a million times better than his Daredevil outfit which looks kind of silly.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

TV Daredevil is blind as gently caress but every other sense works a million times better.

I've only watched three episodes, but so far it seems like his super power is "can do things as though he weren't blind". He's basically the Arrow without the bow and arrows.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I've only watched three episodes, but so far it seems like his super power is "can do things as though he weren't blind". He's basically the Arrow without the bow and arrows.

If any thing his "power" would probably be super-proprioception as a result of how heightened his senses became after his eye took that toxic bath as a kid. He's intensely aware of his body in space and it's relationship to other bodies, living or inert, in space allowing him to perform feats that seem superhuman. It probably explains how he can carom his clubs off walls (and floors and ceilings) like a pool-shark and generally hit what he's aiming at. Probably the only one better is Bullseye, and I hope to loving god the next season is when Fisk hires Bullseye as his chief enforcer.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

flosofl posted:

If any thing his "power" would probably be super-proprioception as a result of how heightened his senses became after his eye took that toxic bath as a kid. He's intensely aware of his body in space and it's relationship to other bodies, living or inert, in space allowing him to perform feats that seem superhuman. It probably explains how he can carom his clubs off walls (and floors and ceilings) like a pool-shark and generally hit what he's aiming at. Probably the only one better is Bullseye, and I hope to loving god the next season is when Fisk hires Bullseye as his chief enforcer.

I hope it's Colin Farrell again.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Coffee And Pie posted:

I hope it's Colin Farrell again.

His secondary power will the mesmerizing ability granted by his eye-brows.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Colin Farrell Kills Old Woman with Peanut

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
This series' Bullseye really does need to be the 2003 version. Same with the comics, in fact.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

FELD1 posted:

Who are these lovely comic fans? My friends and I are all big fans of Daredevil and Flash in comics and television. We're mostly indifferent on Agents of SHIELD, and Arrow. Agent Carter was delightful, but I don't think Constantine would be worth watching whether I read his comics or not.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i judge comic adaptations on how many kirby dots they have

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The movie Unfriended (which is actually really good) has a few of these, especially if you're a Goon, because the entire movie takes place on a computer screen:

- In order make sure everyone knows when the person at the computer is doing something, they go to the upper task bar. Select something, hit control-C? Nope, have to click File -> Edit -> Copy, or whatever.

- Files are downloaded weirdly. Tiny file takes about a minute (explicitly said to be about a meg or so downloading at ~36k), but then later a fifteen gig file (iirc) is pulled down just as quickly.

- Two people have a chat, and the folks respond way too quickly. Person A types something, and a nanosecond later Person B has replied at length.

- I'll spoiler this one: graphic images are turned into memes (bolded white-impact-with-black-borders and all), but aren't really memes. Even if you take away the graphicness, you'd get probated in the appropriate SA thread for posting lovely stuff.

- This one is extra irrational because there's nothing wrong with it - one of the actresses, Renee Olstead reminds me of a girl I used to have a crush on. I left the theater saying "I know her, where do I know her from?!", looked at her history and couldn't find anything remarkable. Then I had a :aaa: moment when I realized who it reminded me of.

Like I said, it's a really good movie, but it has parts that are "NO THIS IS NOT HOW A COMPUTER WORKS".

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 20:11 on Apr 18, 2015

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

- Two people have a chat, and the folks respond way too quickly. Person A types something, and a nanosecond later Person B has replied at length.

I notice this all the time in movies and shows, the one that sticks out in my mind at the moment is House of Cards.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
People who suddenly find themselves moving really fast (usually flying, either by plane or various other methods) the camera is right on their face and they shout 'Whoooohooo!'. The latest Star Wars trailer has an example of what I'm talking about . I can tell whenever it's about to happen and it pisses me off every time and takes me right out of the film. I'm not 100% sure why. But it just comes off as so, so cheesy, forced and predictable.

CityMidnightJunky has a new favorite as of 21:29 on Apr 18, 2015

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Please don't ever go to an amusement part, you'll hate it.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

IUG posted:

Please don't ever go to an amusement part, you'll hate it.

I've heard a lot of screaming on rollercoasters. Never once have I heard a Whoo-hoo.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

The_Master posted:

I've heard a lot of screaming on rollercoasters. Never once have I heard a Whoo-hoo.

I hear it all the time.

...then again, I'm usually the one doing it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Tiggum posted:

No, his power is super sight. He pretends not to be able to see, but actually knows exactly where everyone and everything is at all times, including a russian gangster several floors below him in an apartment building. Because he can "smell" him through walls.

The show is careful to never make us feel sorry for Matt for his blindness by making his other senses combine to the point where his version is objectively superior. He can "always tell which girls are hot". The only person to effectively hide from him is a ninja that waits in the rafters where no one normal would see him either.

In the film Daredevil is rendered helpless by having his remaining senses overwhelmed. In the show Daredevil is rendered helpless by getting punched and cut a lot. One does something interesting with the character concept, the other could have featured any other hero by running find/replace through the script.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The_Master posted:

People who suddenly find themselves moving really fast (usually flying, either by plane or various other methods) the camera is right on their face and they shout 'Whoooohooo!'. The latest Star Wars trailer has an example of what I'm talking about . I can tell whenever it's about to happen and it pisses me off every time and takes me right out of the film. I'm not 100% sure why. But it just comes off as so, so cheesy, forced and predictable.

Worse when they get pushed back against the seat but its super obvious they're doing it themselves.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Worse when they get pushed back against the seat but its super obvious they're doing it themselves.

The episode of TableTop with Jeri Ryan was great cause she and Wil Wheaton had bridge flashbacks and started doing the "hit by torpedo/disruptor/big fuckoff rock" dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

flosofl posted:

Basically the Netflix Daredevil is like a fighting version of Cumberbatch's Sherlock. Where Sherlock would see something on your boot and hear you say something and put it together to be some obscure detail about where you live (that in real life wouldn't work because there'd be other variables that could indicate the same, but its a TV show so he's always right) Daredevil would smell something on your breath and hear something about the fabric of your clothes and work out the same kinda obscure answer. (And once again, IRL its not enough information to really guarantee you're right, but its a show so he's pretty much psychic)

I actually don't like how the show explains it. Why not just go with the usual "blind man's other senses get better as he's deprived from the main sense" thing? Isn't that the whole point? Just take that, but then jack it up to 11 because he's a crazy superhero type dude?

I really really do not like how they just seemed to go "yeah, he got that radioactive ooze from teenage mutant ninja turtles all over his eyes, so now he's blind but he has superpower vision" :rolleyes:

Like the young 9 year old Matt Murdock is like "Dad! I can't see! I'm blind!" right away, wouldn't you just assume that your eyes are hurt? There's loving bandages over your head, kid, nobody could see even if their eyes were fine. And then he's like freaking out right away because he hears things everywhere and its really loud and distinct. It seems like it should have taken him years instead to slowly refine his skills to being able to tell if people are lying by their heartbeats or how many bullets are in a gun by how heavy it is.

I don't have a problem with him having super sense, I just don't like the way they handled it and revealed it. Seems like he should have had to work for it more, instead of just deus ex radioactive ooze.

Somebody said before, but I do really really love how tired and exhausted everybody gets during and after a fight in that show, like Oldboy. It makes the action SO much more believable. I also like that they do really long single-angle shots (again, like oldboy) so you can actually loving appreciate the hard effort they put into the choreography. Its basically the direct opposite of the Bourne series and I couldn't be happier. I loving hate shakey-cam when it comes to fight scenes.

The_Master posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hdIwGcOL9o

:3: Like little kids playing spaceships.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 16:41 on Apr 20, 2015