Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

I liked Nazi Literature in the Americas a lot. It's basically short stories presented as entries in an encyclopedia, some funny, some chilling, some surreal. It's also his most accessible book but that probably shouldn't really be relevant to someone who managed to struggle through 2666.

Nazi Literature in the Americas is good. I just read Distant Star, which is basically an expansion of one of the capsule biographies in NLitA. That's another reason why Bolaño is good, his work is really self-intertextual, when you read his books sometimes you have the feeling that you've read it before, but you're not sure where, so you get this strange déjà vu sense which adds to the mystery and uneasiness feeling you're getting when you think about all the scarey stuff that's happening in the book. It's a kool feeling, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

What exactly makes a book pointless?

Being written.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

im reading Kavalier and Clay and it's quite fun but I'm not sure it's Serious Literature enough to have won a Pulitzer. thanks

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The pulitzer is meant for serious literature?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Whether or not I like it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Having been written by a human being, a brief pulsation in the black hole of eternity.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Blue Squares you and me are tight but sorry bro 2666 is really good.

Also sorry bro but City on Fire is pretty bad I have decided.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Blue Squares you and me are tight but sorry bro 2666 is really good.

Also sorry bro but City on Fire is pretty bad I have decided.

gently caress this thread forever

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blue squares posted:

gently caress this thread forever

The plot was trite and the characters were flat. The style was still excellent though. It felt like a book that treated itself as a masterpiece without earning it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

im reading Kavalier and Clay and it's quite fun but I'm not sure it's Serious Literature enough to have won a Pulitzer. thanks

Kavalier and Clay was good but felt overplotted. A story of young Jewish kids confronting their insecurities through comics and becoming successful is interesting enough. It didn't need the whole weird Kavalier disappearing thing.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Best (post-)modern literature shouldn't be serious, just good. Dry highbrow lit is so 20th Century

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Guess I'll give it a go then.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I thought Kavalier and Clay worked just fine - the overall theme being escape, it made sense for Joe to escape his sorrow, and his return allowed Sam to escape the life he was living that was a lie. Then again, I'm biased because that's one of my favorite books of all time.

Just started A Little Life and it's really good so far. Also, 2666 is great and City on Fire is really rather good.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

BTW just a reminder that Gilead is one of the best books ever

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

BTW just a reminder that Gilead is one of the best books ever

What if I am turned off by fiction that is heavily steeped in religion?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

What if I am turned off by fiction that is heavily steeped in religion?

Gilead is the best American novel of the 21st century read it

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Gilead is the best American novel of the 21st century read it

You have never read Gravity's Rainbow.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

You have never read Gravity's Rainbow.

Check your calendar bro

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Alas, I've owned my self.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

That was an unrelated statement of fact and I did not at all make a mistake.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Besides, everyone knows the best book of the 20th century is Infinite Jest followed shortly thereafter by Fight Club and A Game of Thrones.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Besides, everyone knows the best book of the 20th century is Infinite Jest followed shortly thereafter by Fight Club and A Game of Thrones.
That's what the guy at the bookstore who hasn't read any of them keeps telling me, so it checks out.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I tried to read Infinite Jest I really did

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

This dude in another thread got really mad at me when I said I didn't read any of the footnotes in Infinite Jest because I missed out on "world building" lol

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

This dude in another thread got really mad at me when I said I didn't read any of the footnotes in Infinite Jest because I missed out on "world building" lol

That's a really stupid way to put it, but not reading the footnotes is like randomly skipping pages in a book for no reason

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

That's a really stupid way to put it, but not reading the footnotes is like randomly skipping pages in a book for no reason

The footnotes are all in the back of the book and I didn't feel like stopping every few sentences to go fishing for the right reference in the back.

If he put them on the bottom of the page cool I can dig it but otherwise man gently caress that poo poo

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The footnotes are all in the back of the book and I didn't feel like stopping every few sentences to go fishing for the right reference in the back.

If he put them on the bottom of the page cool I can dig it but otherwise man gently caress that poo poo

Mel Mudkiper, English major, has never heard of bookmarks

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

Mel Mudkiper, English major, has never heard of bookmarks

Bookmarks are for quitters and filthy casuals. Finish it in one sitting or not at all.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Burning Rain posted:

The Third Reich was alright

Italics exist for a reason

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Infinite Jest is one of the books that should be read as ebook. It's "fitting" and the footnotes are much easier to read
It's also prime example of a book where skipping or at least skimming is fine imo. Don't skip ALL notes though, that's just lazy

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Literally the only remotely good part of Infinite Jest was one of the footnotes so just read that and you're golden.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I read it on ebook so it wasn't an ordeal. It was pretty good, except the part where David Foster Wallace can't get into the voice of any character who doesn't think and speak just like David Foster Wallace[1], which is a problem when one of the main characters doesn't, and so rarely speaks at all. At times there are footnotes[2] directly excusing the narrator's choice of words as not the sort of things those characters would say.

[1] Except of course when there's an opportunity to use an ethnic slur or call something "faggy" which in the latter instance I'm pretty sure is just his thing, and even for 1996 strikes me as a dick move from ol' Dave, and is really not the characters' fault at all, to the extent anything is.

[2] Footnotes in IJ falling into the rough categories of: Excusing DFW's voice problems, wildly inaccurate scientific information, world building that means nothing of importance, teasers trying to get you to jump ahead in the book, and legitimately important chapters contained in their entirety within footnotes for no particular reason.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I too will lol at this but at you for skipping the book for no good reason you loving mope.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

actually there's a really good reason to skip the book, it's because the book is infinite jest

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

lotta folks mad that I read a tedious and bloated novel and didn't do it in the most tedious and bloated way

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Is Infinite Jest anything like his short story about the baby getting a pot of boiling water dumped on it? I remember liking that when I read it.

e: this one: http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/books/a500/incarnations-burned-children-david-foster-wallace-0900/

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Is Infinite Jest anything like his short story about the baby getting a pot of boiling water dumped on it? I remember liking that when I read it.

e: this one: http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/books/a500/incarnations-burned-children-david-foster-wallace-0900/

At times, yes

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It's certainly not short, so it isn't like it in one respect.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

lotta folks mad that I read a tedious and bloated novel and didn't do it in the most tedious and bloated way

If you don't want to read it don't read it but it's weird to ignore 15% of the book and act like a hero about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

If you don't want to read it don't read it but it's weird to ignore 15% of the book and act like a hero about it

I am not a hero, just a man who did the right thing when it mattered most.

EDIT: If you want to read DFW at his best his non-fiction is where its at.