Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nice. I hope this urges FFG to be a lot more expansive in their OP system and for worlds. I would not mind seeing a separate x wing worlds weekend since it could probably overshadow the rest of their worlds attendees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Looking to start with some friends who already have established Imp and SV models. Would a starter and rebel aces get me up to the 100 point quickest out should I throw in xwing or ewing expansion too.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Looking to start with some friends who already have established Imp and SV models. Would a starter and rebel aces get me up to the 100 point quickest out should I throw in xwing or ewing expansion too.

Honestly if you are only playing with friends and your main concern is getting to 100 points quickly you could probably skip the core set. This is doubly true if you are going Rebel because it's essentially a $40 box for just an X-wing since all the tokens, dice, and other stuff are redundant parts which your friends already have. Meanwhile individual (normal size) ships are just $15 a pop. Aces are an even better value to start out with because you get two ships for $25.

So to start I'd say dump the core set, get Rebel Aces and one or two of your choice of any individual fighter expansions. That will be all you need since fielding three fighters is a normal Rebel list and your friends already have all the material needed to play and you can just borrow a few pilot cards/upgrade cards as needed since they just play Imp anyway. Then if you want to be able to play without them or once you are sure you're sticking with the game you can pick up your own core set.

edit: If you really want to try the game on the cheap you could get just the Aces pack. Your imp buddies have to have a x-wing from the core set, and that plus Aces is three fighters. They would just have to let you use upgrade cards, which probably is not a big deal at all.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 28, 2015

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Kuwait had a regional anyone go?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
After a few more practice games I picked up Slave I and a Most Wanted box to act as a nucleus of an S&V force and I'm going to head down to the shop later this week to try it out. I'm not sure if the local crew allows card proxies or not, so I'm working with the contents of core + Most Wanted + Slave I:

Boba Fett w/Veteran Instincts, Seismic Charge, Gunner
Kavil w/Autoblaster, Unhinged Astromech
Black Sun Soldier
Black Sun Soldier

Does this look good for a starting list?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Kavil Probably wants an R4 Agromech more than an Unhinged if you're not running anything to stress him.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
First real game, lots of fun but it seems real weird the bwing can roll and the x can't. The ewing is clearly really good too.

Completely forgot to push the limit once despite everyone taking it

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Played my first game of X wing and won.

Starting to get the hang of it, though I was playing Rebels with a three ship fleet. Only bumped once, and that was when my opponent moved his B-wings in front of me and I couldn't avoid them. Pulled off some K turns, found out a Corran, Wedge, Luke combo is quite good. Fought 3 B wings (1 PS 8, 1 PS 7, 1 PS 6 with VI, all with ion weapons or autoblasters). Took out a B wing on turn 3, lost Luke on turn 5, took out another B wing after legend Wedge got 4 hits on 4 dice and Corran Horn finished him off, and then finished with Wedge on 1 damage remaining, Corran mint and shot at once the whole game (complete miss).

I rolled an awful lot of double evades, which kept my X wings alive against the much tougher B-wings. I did use Corrans barrel roll to keep him out of arc on more than one occasion, and concentrated fire to make sure B wings went down sequentially.

I liked it, and I'm sold on it as a game. I'll need to play a lot more before I put down 7 Ties or Z-95s, because of the sheer organisation in moving them in formation. But three or four ship fleets seem a lot easier to keep track of in your head.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Haha, at one point in my game everything on the board was bumped. Enormous clusterfuck

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah what chomp said. If it's possible, get the cardboard range ruler, templates, and damage deck and just go with ships you want. The damage deck is the only thing that might give you trouble on acquisition but people more than likely have plastic rulers and templates and will give away the cardboard ones.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Strobe posted:

Kavil Probably wants an R4 Agromech more than an Unhinged if you're not running anything to stress him.

I figured due to the terrible range of the autoblaster I'd probably want to be able to pull K turns without being stuck toodling along at 2 MPH the next turn.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Oh that was an Autoblaster, my mistake.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kanos posted:

I figured due to the terrible range of the autoblaster I'd probably want to be able to pull K turns without being stuck toodling along at 2 MPH the next turn.

I think if you're rolling Kavil with the autoblaster you probably want PTL and Engine Upgrade to make sure he can get a shot as much as possible.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Panzeh posted:

I think if you're rolling Kavil with the autoblaster you probably want PTL and Engine Upgrade to make sure he can get a shot as much as possible.

I would, but I only have access to Core/Most Wanted/Slave I boxes at the moment and I don't know the local group's stance on proxies yet. I'm not that keen on buying a $30 Millenium Falcon that I'd probably never field to get a single engine upgrade card just yet.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kanos posted:

I would, but I only have access to Core/Most Wanted/Slave I boxes at the moment and I don't know the local group's stance on proxies yet. I'm not that keen on buying a $30 Millenium Falcon that I'd probably never field to get a single engine upgrade card just yet.

Good news is you'll get EU with the YV-666 if you go that route with scum. I'm hoping to win PTL in a tournament tomorrow.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Panzeh posted:

I'm hoping to win PTL in a tournament tomorrow.

I went to a boat load of store tournament for a while there, and I had at least 9 alt art Push the Limits at one point. That in addition to the 5 I have from the regular game. I just started giving them to people who couldn't make it to the tournaments and new players who didn't have many cards yet. I did the same thing with Cloak tokens, dice bags, and 3 range rulers. New players loved playing casual games against me for a while because I was just giving out stuff left and right.

it felt good to give new players stuff. Reminded me of myself when I fist got into the game

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 29, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

enigmahfc posted:

I went to a boat load of store tournament for a while there, and I had at least 9 alt art Push the Limits at one point. That in addition to the 5 I have from the regular game. I just started giving them to people who couldn't make it to the tournaments and new players who didn't have many cards yet. I did the same thing with Cloak tokens, dice bags, and 3 range rulers. New players loved playing casual games against me for a while because I was just giving out stuff left and right.

it felt good to give new players stuff. Reminded me of myself when I fist got into the game

You fist got into the game? God I hope it means somebody punched you in the stomach, and then openned their hand to reveal an X-wing, cause otherwise it gets weird.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Tekopo posted:

X-Wing has made a huge headway in the UK already. The UK National ran out of tickets in under one hour and they even expanded the number of tickets. Game has a huge following now, London is especially good.

Manchester has got a tonne of players too; They're just very disperse, spread across lots of groups as no good, solid venue with the floor space seems to survive.

fadam posted:

There's a big warning when you go to the FFG site that they no longer do replacements for damaged or lost product :(.

In the UK at least, that wouldn't circumvent replacement if it was faulty when purchased; They'd need to replace that by law.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I played my first couple of demo games last night (proving tie fighter supremacy over x-wings and then x-wing superiority over tie-fighters) and it was pretty fun. Thing is I'm not really a Star Wars fan at all, the only ships I really like are the B-Wing's and Firespray-31's, are these good ships in the game at all? Is it possible to play a force of B-Wings or do you really need some x-wings as well as fighters? Scum look like they might be quite fun to play, is there much difference between the Scum Firespray and the Imperial one?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

B-Wings are overwhelmingly better than X-Wing for only one more point and tournament lists usually will see a lot of B-Wings being used because they are so much better than X-Wings to the extent that X-Wings are almost not used at all. Firesprays are good as well, scum/imperial firesprays are almost the same apart from upgrade cards that you can use on them (since some are faction locked) and different pilots.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

B-Wings are overwhelmingly better than X-Wing for only one more point and tournament lists usually will see a lot of B-Wings being used because they are so much better than X-Wings to the extent that X-Wings are almost not used at all. Firesprays are good as well, scum/imperial firesprays are almost the same apart from upgrade cards that you can use on them (since some are faction locked) and different pilots.

I will say the scum firespray pilots have more straightforward abilities than the imperial ones.

Also yeah 4 b-wings is a viable list in several configurations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Panzeh posted:

I will say the scum firespray pilots have more straightforward abilities than the imperial ones.

Also yeah 4 b-wings is a viable list in several configurations.

I was looking at the different cards and Keyan Farlander seemed good as a B-Wing Pilot, with Lightning Reflexes or Push the Limits. Though with Torps it becomes pretty pricey. Just to clarify if I had Keyan Farlander with Advanced Proton Torpedoes and Lighting Reflexes can I turn an easy 3 into effectively a Koiogran 3 by discarding Lighting Reflexes, get stress, fire the Torpedoes and turn three blanks into Focus, then spend my stress to turn the Focus into Hits?

How does initiative work for Scum, is it Imperial -> Rebel -> Scum ?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

That doesn't work because you need a target lock to fire the APTs. Usually you want Keyan with PtL and potentially Advanced Sensors. Opportunist is nice as well if you have Wes around.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also initiative is usually done by points count, and then you roll if you have the same points. It's the tournament way but most people use it for casual as well.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Aramoro posted:

I was looking at the different cards and Keyan Farlander seemed good as a B-Wing Pilot, with Lightning Reflexes or Push the Limits. Though with Torps it becomes pretty pricey. Just to clarify if I had Keyan Farlander with Advanced Proton Torpedoes and Lighting Reflexes can I turn an easy 3 into effectively a Koiogran 3 by discarding Lighting Reflexes, get stress, fire the Torpedoes and turn three blanks into Focus, then spend my stress to turn the Focus into Hits?

How does initiative work for Scum, is it Imperial -> Rebel -> Scum ?

Keyan's good, though you'll find also that a torp that only works in r1 is hard to use with the B-wing dial. A cannon is usually better. And yes, you can do that with APTs.

Imperials still always win ties and if Rebels and Scum tie they roll off.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Keyan's good, though you'll find also that a torp that only works in r1 is hard to use with the B-wing dial. A cannon is usually better. And yes, you can do that with APTs.
I'm pretty sure he can't do that with APTs, Panzeh :v:

EDIT: Unless he had a target lock beforehand, that is.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

I'm pretty sure he can't do that with APTs, Panzeh :v:

EDIT: Unless he had a target lock beforehand, that is.

You'd have to get a TL. I think Keyan, FCS, PTL and 3x naked blues is a decent list.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Panzeh posted:

Imperials still always win ties and if Rebels and Scum tie they roll off.

Everyone around here rolls for initiative if point values are tied, letting the winner of the roll decide who has initiative. I guess I always just assumed that those were rules as written, though I never actually looked it up myself. :confused:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Panzeh posted:

You'd have to get a TL. I think Keyan, FCS, PTL and 3x naked blues is a decent list.
The issue was specifically concerning Lightning Reflexes and APT, which give you a stress before you can do an action. You don't really need APT on him tbh.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tekopo posted:

The issue was specifically concerning Lightning Reflexes and APT, which give you a stress before you can do an action. You don't really need APT on him tbh.

I didn't write it but I assumed I had got target lock some point previously. The question was more around could I stack Keyan's ability with the APT ability, choosing the order I resolve the effects in. If I added Advanced Sensors to give me a free action before I moved to gain target lock, then skip my perform action step, which doesn't matter as I'd be stressed anyway. That seems to work as I think it does.

Anyway it was more about Keyan working with APT and that general case of stacking abilities.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Geisladisk posted:

Everyone around here rolls for initiative if point values are tied, letting the winner of the roll decide who has initiative. I guess I always just assumed that those were rules as written, though I never actually looked it up myself. :confused:

The imps win ties hasn't existed since like wave 1 or 2. If you're tied on points, you roll off/flip a coin, per the tournament rules. Obviously in casual play you can do whatever you want.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Gate posted:

The imps win ties hasn't existed since like wave 1 or 2. If you're tied on points, you roll off/flip a coin, per the tournament rules. Obviously in casual play you can do whatever you want.

Ahh ok I was just reading the rules you get with the core and hadn't realised it had changed.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Im trying to find a good source of Jojo decals to put on my 2400 or decimator. Qnyone know of any good places? All I can find are dumb anime titties decals but I am also prepared to attempt to draw something that wont do justice to the Jojo style.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Aramoro posted:

Ahh ok I was just reading the rules you get with the core and hadn't realised it had changed.

Yeah, they changed it when the events took off to fit something more competitive. Roll off, winner picks if they take initiative or not.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Chill la Chill posted:

Im trying to find a good source of Jojo decals to put on my 2400 or decimator. Qnyone know of any good places? All I can find are dumb anime titties decals but I am also prepared to attempt to draw something that wont do justice to the Jojo style.

Man if you find some send me a pic cause i could lose to a super dash build with jojo decals every time.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Anyone else playing Nationals tomorrow at gencon? I'll be one of the guys in the cloaky Mcgee phantom shirt running a painted up Chewie and Corran.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Tickets in hand for wave 7!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
So I've bought the starter, an X-Wing and got Rebel Aces on the way. Can I build a decent list from that, or do I need anything else? There's a lot of cool upgrades that are spread out across the sets, it's very annoying.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The Deleter posted:

So I've bought the starter, an X-Wing and got Rebel Aces on the way. Can I build a decent list from that, or do I need anything else? There's a lot of cool upgrades that are spread out across the sets, it's very annoying.

You won't have all the options but you should be definitely be able to make a serviceable list if your buddies are super try hards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Deleter posted:

We were just planning on proxying the upgrades because we're filthy casuals.

I have a similar question along the lines of what goes well with the Most Wanted expansion, the Star Viper looks pretty cool so I was thinking that or the M3-A Interceptor. Which is better?

• Locked thread