Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Well, a huge gateway for gaining power in a democratic system is behaving like a politician, which is a cuss word but also is the case. I'm sure there are thousands of people who would be a better president than Hillary or Obama, and probably at least hundreds who could have outdone Lincoln or FDR. However, they would have had to win an election campaign.

I personally would be concerned that people get so fidgety over worrying about setting a bad precedent or what have you, that instead we get a squeaker whereby President Cruz comes in and nukes Iran while installing the Permanent Guardians of the Bible in the Supreme Court.

Berke Negri posted:

I think it is only fair to worry about a "Clinton dynasty" when Chelsea is running for the white house.

Reminder that the Kennedys, Rockefellers, and Roosevelts and several other families have had dynasties as well. It isn't new.
What would be really nuts is if there was a guy who was president, and then his son was an awful president, and now another one of his sons was running for president on the same platform, more or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
So we are willing to accept dynasties because they are the lesser evil? :stare:

I never understood why people vote for the lesser evil.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Enigma89 posted:

Weren't you supporting Rand Paul until like last week?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TEAYCHES posted:

That we believe that the most qualified candidate is the wife of a previous president is part of the problem.

No, being skeptical of dynasty is not "just as bad as nepotism" that's dumb as hell.

Why am I reminded of how Conservatives called it a problem that Obama was viewed as the best candidate because he was black? She's the best candidate cause she has the proven list of accomplishments and the base likes her. Her last name is not the only thing people like about her.

Oh, and your claims of a Clinton Dynasty might be less full of poo poo if her daughter had ever had the slightest desire to enter politics.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

What were Clinton's signature breakthroughs and diplomatic accomplishments as Secretary of State?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Enigma89 posted:

Because when you don't the greater evil wins.

2000 can never happen again.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

TEAYCHES posted:

That we believe that the most qualified candidate is the wife of a previous president is part of the problem.

No, being skeptical of dynasty is not "just as bad as nepotism" that's dumb as hell.

I'm not naive about the existence of political dynasty; I think that it's wrong and unhealthy in a democratic system, and should be discouraged.

She was a senator and secretary of state. That's pretty loving qualified. Being First Lady is how she got to be popular, which is how you gain success in politics in a democracy, and she used that popularity to launch an impressive political career. Sheesh, I don't even like her, but she really is qualified. I think implying that she married her way to the top somehow is actually kind of sexist.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

She was a senator and secretary of state. That's pretty loving qualified. Being First Lady is how she got to be popular, which is how you gain success in politics in a democracy, and she used that popularity to launch an impressive political career. Sheesh, I don't even like her, but she really is qualified. I think implying that she married her way to the top somehow is actually kind of sexist.

Her record as a Senator or as Secretary of State isn't great. She's a hawk on foreign affairs. I expect that if she becomes president she will fill the shoes of the previous war criminal.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Enigma89 posted:

I can't see why people think what they call American Dynasties are inherently evil.

"Oh god, this person who governs well and whose policies I support is related to this OTHER person who governs well and whose policies I support. The Horror!"

A dynasty only continues so long as that politician remains the best person for the base - when they're not, a better person succeeds and the politician in question gets better. Whats the evil here?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TEAYCHES posted:

The best person the Democratic Party could nominate for the presidency is the wife of a previous president. Here's hoping the Republicans nominate the brother of a previous president, who was the son of a previous president.

Welcome to unashamed oligarchy.

You don't understand what the word "oligarchy" means.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

TEAYCHES posted:

What were Clinton's signature breakthroughs and diplomatic accomplishments as Secretary of State?

I don't have to look them up to know they were more important, more valuable, and more difficult to achieve than anything done by the governor of some podunk state.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Fulchrum posted:

I can't see why people think what they call American Dynasties are inherently evil.

"Oh god, this person who governs well and whose policies I support is related to this OTHER person who governs well and whose policies I support. The Horror!"

A dynasty only continues so long as that politician remains the best person for the base - when they're not, a better person succeeds and the politician in question gets better. Whats the evil here?

Yes, American politics works and generally chooses the best person for the.. base? Well not for the job, and maybe not the best person, but things are going pretty well, right?

Nintendo Kid posted:

You don't understand what the word "oligarchy" means.

Define it for me.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

I don't have to look them up to know they were more important, more valuable, and more difficult to achieve than anything done by the governor of some podunk state.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TEAYCHES posted:

Yes, American politics works and generally chooses the best person for the.. base? Well not for the job, and maybe not the best person, but things are going pretty well, right?

So politics is a popularity contest, and that is somehow because of families.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Fulchrum posted:

So politics is a popularity contest, and that is somehow because of families.

Pretty related, w/r/t name recognition.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Berke Negri posted:

I think it is only fair to worry about a "Clinton dynasty" when Chelsea is running for the white house.

Reminder that the Kennedys, Rockefellers, and Roosevelts and several other families have had dynasties as well. It isn't new.

Additionally, these families have produced some drat fine statesmen.

Dynasties can be good, dynasties can be bad. As voting goes, one should evaluate each member on a case-by-case, policy-by-policy basis rather than trying to make some sort of grandiose stand against the whole premise of recognition by association, which our civilization enshrines in ways far more fundamental than this.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Barack Obama didn't even finish a full term as a Senator before he became president.
George W. Bush was the governor of Texas and was only dimly aware of the rest of the country, much less the world.
Bill Clinton was the governor of Arkansas, a state that most people forget even exists.

But a woman runs for president, and people are all suddenly like, "Well what were her accomplishments as Secretary of State and as Senator from New York?" Go read her Wikipedia page if you care that much. She did the job successfully for four years, it gave her a huge amount of experience that almost nobody in the world has. She has already met, worked with, and negotiated with every significant world leader.

If you don't like what you think her policies will be, that makes sense. I probably won't like them either (but I will like them more than the alternative). But concern trolling about her qualifications when she is the most qualified candidate either party can offer, period, is just ridiculous.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Was there all this 'dynasty' talk when dubya first ran?

E:

Barack Obama didn't even finish a full term as a Senator before he became president.
George W. Bush was the governor of Texas and was only dimly aware of the rest of the country, much less the world.
Bill Clinton was the governor of Arkansas, a state that most people forget even exists.

Building off of this, imo as long as you were okay at your previous jobs in the chain to become president, their main value is giving political experience. You serve in the legislative before running for president to learn how to schmooze and get bills through and you be a governor/cabinet member to get management experience.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 13, 2015

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

But a woman runs for president, and people are all suddenly like, "Well what were her accomplishments as Secretary of State and as Senator from New York?" Go read her Wikipedia page if you care that much. She did the job successfully for four years, it gave her a huge amount of experience that almost nobody in the world has. She has already met, worked with, and negotiated with every significant world leader.

If you don't like what you think her policies will be, that makes sense. I probably won't like them either (but I will like them more than the alternative). But concern trolling about her qualifications when she is the most qualified candidate either party can offer, period, is just ridiculous.

They were all lovely presidents, though.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yes.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My right wing cousin shared a meme from a conservative Facebook messaging page comparing Hillary Clinton to Hitler based on the quote, "We must stop thinking of the individual and start thinking about what is best for society." I have no desire to argue with her on Facebook, but this quote immediately triggered my bullshit detector. Does anyone know what the context for it is?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

sector_corrector posted:

My right wing cousin shared a meme from a conservative Facebook messaging page comparing Hillary Clinton to Hitler based on the quote, "We must stop thinking of the individual and start thinking about what is best for society." I have no desire to argue with her on Facebook, but this quote immediately triggered my bullshit detector. Does anyone know what the context for it is?

Liberals are "collectivists" and your cousin is retarded.

It takes a village.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

my favorite is reminding people of Abraham Lincoln's lengthy resume:

One-term U.S. Representative

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yes, but I think people were hoping it was going to be a John Adams and JQ Adams kind of deal, not a Henry II, Dick and John kind of deal.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The election of John Quincy Adams signaled the death of democracy in America.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

PupsOfWar posted:

my favorite is reminding people of Abraham Lincoln's lengthy resume of "One-term U.S. Representative"

He was also a country lawyer, joining such acclaimed ranks as the hyperchicken from futurama.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

TEAYCHES posted:

Liberals are "collectivists" and your cousin is retarded.

It takes a village.

Thanks for the briefing, idiot. I meant, like, where the quote is from. That's what context means, as a word.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

TEAYCHES posted:

They were all lovely presidents, though.

Well, George H. W. Bush was pretty qualified.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TEAYCHES posted:

Define it for me.

OLIGARCHY, ˈäləˌɡärkē
noun, plural oligarchies.
1. a form of government in which all power is vested in a few persons or in a dominant class or clique; government by the few.
2. a state or organization so ruled.
3. the persons or class so ruling.

A few people having held a certain position that certainly doesn't have all power over a number of decades, with at least 8 years of none of the involved holding it, in no way counts. You sound like a 6th grader trying to be smart.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

1. a form of government in which all power is vested in a few persons or in a dominant class or clique; government by the few.

Yes. Yes. This is America. I'm not kidding. Does anyone really disagree that we live in such a state? Obama called it special interests. There is a ruling class, there is money, there are two parties and a complete lack of campaign finance regulations. It's all happening. Yes.. Yes, it's an oligarchy. Congratulations.

Who the gently caress honestly argues that American politics isn't government by a dominant class?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

look buddy just support Jill Stein's liberal protest campaign and quit flailing around like a dork.

Jill is the only relatively-well-known candidate who will commit to not murdering any foreigners. If you're really a single-issue voter on that account, that is the place for you.

I understand that Jill won't win anything (will not, in fact, be on the ballot in a number of states) and that this fact is discouraging, but Rand Paul wasn't going to win either.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Well I would say we're an oligarchy but for entirely different reasons than teayches.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

TEAYCHES posted:

Yes. Yes. This is America. I'm not kidding. Does anyone really disagree that we live in such a state? Obama called it special interests. There is a ruling class, there is money, there are two parties and a complete lack of campaign finance regulations. It's all happening. Yes.. Yes, it's an oligarchy. Congratulations.

Who the gently caress honestly argues that American politics isn't government by a dominant class?

Yes but you were claiming or appear to claim that because Hilary's last name is Clinton we are an oligarchy whereas this quoted post is a much stronger argument for such a point.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yes but you were claiming or appear to claim that because Hilary's last name is Clinton we are an oligarchy whereas this quoted post is a much stronger argument for such a point.

It's a symptom of a sick political system when you start nominating candidates from the same families.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Look, not everybody can represent Galveston in the House. You're going to have to settle for what's out there.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Well, George H. W. Bush was pretty qualified.

What were his qualifications outside of keeping Reagan's Alzheimers in check and the Latin American deathsquads funded?

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

TEAYCHES posted:

What were his qualifications outside of keeping Reagan's Alzheimers in check and the Latin American deathsquads funded?

can you use the internet

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

can you use the internet

I was making a point about ethics. Cheney was qualified too.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

TEAYCHES posted:

I was making a point about ethics. Cheney was qualified too.

No, you were talking about qualifications. Did you just arrive from DnD circa 2006?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TEAYCHES posted:

It's a symptom of a sick political system when you start nominating candidates from the same families.

I guess our political system has been sick for about 190 years, then. The disease does not appear to be fatal.

• Locked thread