Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I didn't even know people were offended by Yukako

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

multijoe posted:

I don't think any western studio would have the courage or vision to make JoJo as spectacularly camp or absurd as a faithful adaptation would need to be, I'm glad it's being made(?) in the homeland of JoJo

I have faith on the Italians and their love for Jojo :italy:

Nah, It's better being done by Japan, I hope they go crazy with the camp.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I really don't like Yukako's character archetype. It makes for boring, one-dimensional characters, the kind that you will never be really surprised by. Yeah, it's sexist, but you know what, even if it wasn't it would still not be good.

And yet in spite of that it was written well enough, and the other characters in DiU are better, so it's really not damning of the part as a whole.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
I want a Japanese Steel Ball Run because it would be really funny to see a bunch of Japanese dudes playing Americans for once instead of the other way around.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I think Yukako is perfectly fine as a character. Women can be crazy, men can be crazy. Why? Because people can be crazy. And Yukako is a teenage bag of hormones (like all the other school kids) that's been given stand powers. If anime only watchers haven't picked it up yet, there's a pattern forming of enemy stand users being defeated and changing their ways for the better, because maybe giving ridiculous super powers to teenagers is a disaster waiting to happen. But they're people too and realise that they did go overboard with what they were doing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A japanese live action JoJo movie sounds p bad tbh

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Found a Koinku for Dunkle Sans.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

multijoe posted:

I don't think any western studio would have the courage or vision to make JoJo as spectacularly camp or absurd as a faithful adaptation would need to be, I'm glad it's being made(?) in the homeland of JoJo

Depends on if they get the right director. It's doubtful though, we live in the world where Terry Gilliam didn't direct Harry Potter despite both him and Rowling wanting him to.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

People can be offended by the clouds in the sky. The less you worry about what offends other people the easier it is to just get through life.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I didn't even know someone here was offended. :shrug:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Baal posted:

A japanese live action JoJo movie sounds p bad tbh

I dunno if they painted up a bunch of buff dudes like someone suggested it'd be great

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'm proud to announce that I got the role of Magicians Red in the Live Action Adaptation of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

The goose down they covered me in is really uncomfortable

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Ruggington posted:

The goose down they covered me in is really uncomfortable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOoFqbdr-XY

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A live action Steel Ball Run starring Clint Eastwood and Leonardo Di Caprio.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

You can be critical of something without being 'offended' by it, anyone who says other wise is being willfully disingenuous or has never encountered a nuanced opinion.

I think Yukako is a totally rad stand user and the closest Jojo has gotten so far to having a tough rad woman who actually does something.
I also think it's disappointing that her entire motivation and role in the story is "I need to make Koichi love me!" and that this is indicative outdated storytelling conventions re: gender. These are not mutually exclusive.

I don't know who should star in a Western Jojo movie, but Edgar Wright should direct it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He should have retired after Spaced.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It works off different stylistic tropes, but I think the bombast of the Scott Pilgrim movie would suit Jojo with the appropriate adjustments.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The world became a darker place when Scott Pilgrim was created

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

C'mon now, Hot Fuzz was pretty great.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

It balanced out after they fixed Ant-Man by kicking him out.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
man it's like I'm reading CineD here

please gimme a 500-word essay on this last episode and how it relates to Zizek and capitalism

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Labour relations in JoJo isn't for another few weeks though!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The worst thing about this whole Yukako topic is the fact that people often beat around the bush with what they really mean or want to say because in the majority of the discussions about this kind of poo poo on the internet so people play safer than sorry, some one ends up being called sexist, others end up going "you're quite clearly unintelligent, unlike myself, for having opinion x or y on this matter", it's not an interesting topic, it's not an enjoyable topic to read, it only really serves to drag discussion down and it's god-drat boring. It overshadows everything else about the episode. I know it's important to ascertain whether or not this character was born out of an hatred of the opposite sex, but maybe, just maybe, you can talk about something worth reading such as how Echoes Act 2 is cool as gently caress.

It's the "Is Alessi a paedophile?" of Part 4.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Echoes Act 2?

Cool as gently caress.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Echoes Act 2?

Cool as gently caress.

This we can all agree on, I'm sure.

Weaponised onomatopoeia is such a novel concept, particularly in the manga, but I was really impressed by how well it's translated to the anime.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
God, so many things to trash there but you're right, Echoes Act 2 is cool. Broken as gently caress too. Like, potentially one of the most OP Stands in all of Jojo.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Echoes Act 2 is great, but it has a major weakness compared to its Act 1 form in that it can only place one sound effect at a time.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Yukakos pretty lame but i think her stand is super cool. It's really simple but it's fun to watch and very dynamic which is nice after 2 episodes of poo poo like The Lock and Surface

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm kind of annoyed that they never mentioned the name (or weird subtitle version) of yukako's stand, love deluxe.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm kind of annoyed that they never mentioned the name (or weird subtitle version) of yukako's stand, love deluxe.

Romance Premium is a great Stand.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yukako's got some problems but she is very cool and powerful, she can loving crush a whole house.

Echoes Act 2 is also very cool and cute, I like that he has to ball up his weaponized onomatopoeia's and stuff em back into his lil tail

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The stands are going to be the same lovely cgi that the Japanese use in all of their movies and everyone will be played by Japanese actors regardless of their nationality.

Speaking of which...did the Attack on Titan movie just completely ignore the detail that Mikasa was supposed to be the only Japanese woman in a predominantly Germanic society or what?

Anyway, I can't imagine a live-action movie ever satisfactorily capturing the fabulous tone of JoJo.

Get the gently caress out of here.

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 29, 2016

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Augus posted:

Speaking of which...did the Attack on Titan movie just completely ignore the detail that Mikasa was supposed to be the only Japanese woman in a predominantly Germanic society or what?

Yes. And it actually replaced Levi with a Japanese guy who totally makes out with Mikasa and embarrasses Eren at every turn.

That movie was Not Good.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Augus posted:

Get the gently caress out of here.

[VIDEO GAME REFERENCE BECAUSE I CAN'T THINK OF A JOKE HERE]

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Begemot posted:

Yes. And it actually replaced Levi with a Japanese guy who totally makes out with Mikasa and embarrasses Eren at every turn.

That movie was Not Good.

I don't know, I think that scene where Levi feeds her the apple while staring right at Eren was kind of worth it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I don't give a shiiiiit about Attack on Titan but the I've Been Waiting For This Day goof up was so so good.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Llab posted:

Found a Koinku for Dunkle Sans.

I'd rero rero that all night long. :pervert:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dias posted:

man it's like I'm reading CineD here

please gimme a 500-word essay on this last episode and how it relates to Zizek and capitalism

You joke, but the setting does takes place after Japan's economic downturn, and that has consequences for the story. Just look at Okuyasu's dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I want to see a live action version of Battle Tendency, gently caress SDC. Pillar men in live action would be incredible.

• Locked thread