Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Whew! I was worried if this was going to be a 'well, how many mouse turds are acceptable?' situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as far as i'm concerned anything published by them is probably okay because i don't want to malign the devs of those specific games when they probably just made a poor decision in business partners, if anything

anything made by chucklefish is a no-go, though

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I'd be wary of published titles too since CF apparently likes to ask a far bigger cut of devs than is standard. If you can find a way to buy direct from the devs and just bypass the publisher entirely, do that.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

do that anyway, for any game

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I need to find a way to buy Eastward without giving Tiy money

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rhopunzel posted:

Yes. Our plan is to launch a preorder with a free multiplayer demo + paid prealpha access before end of the year.

But I'm not kidding when I say it's prealpha. It'll be very very early, there won't be many (if any) gameplay loops and it'll be intended for people who want to test and help develop the game while serving as a token of our authenticity that 1) we're not sitting on our asses and 2) we believe in our product.

I want to avoid the bottleneck we created with Starbound where people are paying for something they can't immediately play and their expectations end up ballooning out of control. This way we're totally transparent, people know what they're getting and know what to expect.

I can understand your desire to keep your workflow more tangible than a vague shrug.

While Starbound isn't the only game to do it, it does stand out as a posterboy for treating a test build (Of a test build) as a security blanket.

"Stop crying about problems in the Stable build that has languished for a month and up, they fixed it in the unstable/experimental/opt in... What? That build is a barely working shitshow? They WARNED you it's for testing :smug: ...What? Fix it the problem in stable? Excuse me, the fix is in the Wacky Land build, learn to use search."

See also, roadmaps. "Stop asking for X, it's clearly on the roadmap! You just don't have faith in the Devs... What? Date on the roadmap for X got shoved back by a 1-4 months at the last second? Don't you know roadmaps aren't set in stone?... When IS X being done? Didn't you see the roadmap, idiot? It clearly lists a date there :rolleyes:"

I Said No
May 21, 2007

It was touched on in the Terraria topic but I felt it worth bringing up here: something fucky's going on with the user reviews on steam as of the start of November.

Was there any kind of event or something around the end of october/start of november? Because if not this spike from around 5-15 on average to 108 looks a bit loving weird.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Just in time for black Friday/cyber Monday/Christmas.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Someone finally told Tiy he could pay someone to use bots to prop up his shitpile.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I wouldn’t put it past him at all.

However, Steam just did a major overhaul of their interface and now when you click on a game in your library, it puts up the option to review the game front and center if you haven’t done so.

Mayheim
Jun 15, 2006
Looking at the reviews seems like that was when everyone used Starbound to spam drinking soda and writing a review for the race event in the summer sale.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Mayheim posted:

Looking at the reviews seems like that was when everyone used Starbound to spam drinking soda and writing a review for the race event in the summer sale.

Yeah, I think there were a number of joke positive reviews about spamming soda for starbound with that mod that makes soda from dirt tiles or something.

edit: Although it appears to have kept going up, so yeah, probably bots.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Mayheim posted:

That was before the story of their fuckery broke, that was like June or such I think.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I think the thing that I will always be most sad about is that the Starbound races are a cool idea that almost nobody will ever touch again because it’s not worth the potential hassle.

Especially the Novakids who are a clever way to do energy beings.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think the thing that I will always be most sad about is that the Starbound races are a cool idea that almost nobody will ever touch again because it’s not worth the potential hassle.

I'm in a lot of minds about races.

The game was never meant to have them. We set out intending to only be playable as humans, and aliens would be interactable. This kept the workload compact. Somewhere after release we promised on a whim that there'd be playable races and it snowballed from there until we'd promised six, and in practice it basically represented a work multiplier. Now instead of making one chair, we had to make six, and so on.

Because it instantly multiplied the workload so much, it gave us less time to spend on each asset so a lot of them were super unimaginative and uninspired.

Races could have been done in an interesting way. We could have focused on giving them proper, tangible unique attributes. Instead it was decided that people only cared about sets of vanity furniture and different looking swords that all behaved the same. Personally I'd have preferred to just keep humans playable and focus on making the playable content for them really deep and interesting. Which is what I'm doing with Outworlder. Space is too interesting to be worrying about collecting alien chairs.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lord_Magmar posted:

I really want to see somebody else do something with a race like the Glitch. I can't help it, their original backstory is fantastic and every Starbound character I made was a girl robot painted black.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Rhopunzel posted:

I'm in a lot of minds about races.

The game was never meant to have them. We set out intending to only be playable as humans, and aliens would be interactable. This kept the workload compact. Somewhere after release we promised on a whim that there'd be playable races and it snowballed from there until we'd promised six, and in practice it basically represented a work multiplier. Now instead of making one chair, we had to make six, and so on.

Because it instantly multiplied the workload so much, it gave us less time to spend on each asset so a lot of them were super unimaginative and uninspired.

Races could have been done in an interesting way. We could have focused on giving them proper, tangible unique attributes. Instead it was decided that people only cared about sets of vanity furniture and different looking swords that all behaved the same. Personally I'd have preferred to just keep humans playable and focus on making the playable content for them really deep and interesting. Which is what I'm doing with Outworlder. Space is too interesting to be worrying about collecting alien chairs.

No I totally get this, and I appreciate the stance. It's more that these are fascinating alien races when often they're pretty boring. Even if it's still humans but different it's a nicely done thing.

Like as mentioned the Novakids don't have a history or a culture because they're space travelling star people who as they get older they get bigger and redder until they explode. It's such a simple bit but I love the world building.

Or the Floran's being violent primitive carnivorous plant people. One of my sort of backburner game design ideas which I'll never finish is a Sci-Fi Tabletop RPG using these races because I like all the little nuances and ideas in them a lot.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Very little of the various race's flavor actually made it into the game in any significant manner, though. Florans still shot you with guns, etc.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zereth posted:

Very little of the various race's flavor actually made it into the game in any significant manner, though. Florans still shot you with guns, etc.

Mechanically they were 100% identical. The only difference was the recipe set you started with and the flavor text you saw. If you got a different race's blueprints you could wear their poo poo. Originally it was promised that said blueprints would actually have meaningfully different stuff going on but in the end it was all the same.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Mechanically they were 100% identical. The only difference was the recipe set you started with and the flavor text you saw. If you got a different race's blueprints you could wear their poo poo. Originally it was promised that said blueprints would actually have meaningfully different stuff going on but in the end it was all the same.
Oh, I'm talking about enemy stuff. Player stuff was, yeah, "everything looks different but is completely interchangeable with another race's stuff"

They even spent time making a lot of different racial gear for, like, all melee weapon types and armor for like, 10 tiers, but by release most of that was gone, too.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zereth posted:

Oh, I'm talking about enemy stuff. Player stuff was, yeah, "everything looks different but is completely interchangeable with another race's stuff"

They even spent time making a lot of different racial gear for, like, all melee weapon types and armor for like, 10 tiers, but by release most of that was gone, too.

Then nerfed guns into oblivion so they were totally useless. Oh and if you wanted meat you had to use the hunter's bow which was terrible.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Oh I know, the ideas are good, the execution is poo poo and Chucklefish are worse than poo poo so it's a bit of a wash.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Then nerfed guns into oblivion so they were totally useless. Oh and if you wanted meat you had to use the hunter's bow which was terrible.
Did they ever meaningfully nerf ENEMY guns though? Because when I was still sticking it out Player guns were getting more and more hamstrung. While NPC's could still fire infinity bullets, just in time for "Shields now have durability instead of being able to block an infinite stream of 1 damage at 100 RPM SMG spam! Don't worry, there is a (very lovely) parry, because :darksouls: "

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 18, 2019

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Section Z posted:

Did they ever meaningfully nerf ENEMY guns though? Because when I was still sticking it out Player guns were getting more and more hamstrung. While NPC's could still fire infinity bullets, just in time for "Shields now have durability instead of being able to block an infinite stream of 1 damage at 100 RPM SMG spam! Don't worry, there is a (very lovely) parry, because :darksouls: "

Nope, enemy guns still turbofuck you.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Reasonable to chalk up the review surge to the steam UI changing, then? Have other games seen a similar jump?

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

It was the exact problem Starbound had with everything. They wanted to have an ocean of content NOW, so it all ended up turbo bland. Why have one race with a developed history that informs gameplay in any way when you can have 6 sets of sprites for everything?

As much as I disagree with it, you have to recognize that a lot of people are happy to just have a billion different tiles to build space castles with and RP their birdperson who is obsessed with retro furniture or w/e. Minecraft was a hit too.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Lord_Magmar posted:

No I totally get this, and I appreciate the stance. It's more that these are fascinating alien races when often they're pretty boring. Even if it's still humans but different it's a nicely done thing.

Like as mentioned the Novakids don't have a history or a culture because they're space travelling star people who as they get older they get bigger and redder until they explode. It's such a simple bit but I love the world building.

Or the Floran's being violent primitive carnivorous plant people. One of my sort of backburner game design ideas which I'll never finish is a Sci-Fi Tabletop RPG using these races because I like all the little nuances and ideas in them a lot.

I don't know if what amounts to short adverts for each race qualifies as world building. Yet here we are, I was surprised at the time at how okay people were with a veneer of it and I guess to this day I still am.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'd be very interested to see a graph that indicates rating given vs time played.

Starbound seems very cool and appealing if you've never seen it. And the first few hours are really fun and cool as you zip around through space. But then the veneer falls off shortly after and you see that that's all there is to the game; there's very little depth there.

Those sales numbers have got to be boosted by people that just pick it up on sale and never bother to play it, or by reviews by people that have played it for a couple of hours tops.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I'm not dismayed that Starbound is doing well or that they astroturfed their reviews into the positive great beyond but when people look at something that functions identical to everything else and that thin layer of paint is all they need for "wowz what world building!"

It makes me really wonder about what people actually want in a game. A ton of people have come into the discord for Outworlder and my take from fielding most of the questions is just that --- they want a thin veneer but to be told it's meaty and in depth.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

they want a thin veneer but to be told it's meaty and in depth.

But noooooo you didn't want serious depth with multiple personality disorder bunnies so I truly doubt you really want depth, because my depth you derided!!!!!

(tried to make as ridiculous as possible but then I realize how dumb and/or crazy gamers are so this is the disclaimer that the previous sentence was completely in jest)

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Lol

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Glenn Quebec posted:

I don't know if what amounts to short adverts for each race qualifies as world building. Yet here we are, I was surprised at the time at how okay people were with a veneer of it and I guess to this day I still am.

Okay to be fair I do way too much internal world building with even less than short adverts. One of the secrets to why simple but broad ideas for alien races works in games is it lets players insert themselves however deep they want into that process of internal world building.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Where do I put in a feature request for Outworlder to have Space Trains again?

They were wonderfully adorable.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm not dismayed that Starbound is doing well or that they astroturfed their reviews into the positive great beyond but when people look at something that functions identical to everything else and that thin layer of paint is all they need for "wowz what world building!"

It makes me really wonder about what people actually want in a game. A ton of people have come into the discord for Outworlder and my take from fielding most of the questions is just that --- they want a thin veneer but to be told it's meaty and in depth.

If measured by those who scream the loudest about it? Then the more awkward or uncomfortable regular people find playing it, the :airquote: "Better" The lore/immersion/realism.

Subnautica fans crying over not sitting around for authentic realtime waits in decompression chambers nonstop. STALKER modders lamenting the engine doesn't support durability loss triggered by reloading, for that realistic and immersive chunk taken out of your gun every time you reload. However many more crafting materials the lumbering mass of Starbound's fave shitshow modder has shoved into a pile for you to have to sift through.

Speaking of, one of the reasons I fondly remember Apex starting out with bananas and banana bread was because they worked pretty good when Intended Healing fell off a cliff. "Oh hey, it's a little flavor blurb, and it's USEFUL!" You know, until that got fixed to death :v:

Really, "Oh hey, this is cool/useful" rather than "This exists to fill the checkbox so I can exist, at BEST." sound simple enough, but that seems to be such a hard concept to grasp for those with a Vision, or those going "...By upgrades, you mean TRADE OFFS right?" and anything but letting you feel good about your stuff.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 18, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I think a trade off should be an even and fair trade. A good trade off to me is something like mass effect where choosing your class gives you real clear differences.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

I Said No posted:

Reasonable to chalk up the review surge to the steam UI changing, then? Have other games seen a similar jump?

Starbound:

Terraria:

At first glance, it certainly seems so. Note how the last graph has a max value of basically 15x Starbound's, too.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

I guess there's no shady poo poo going on this time after all then, quelle surprise.

Also Terraria is basically a sales juggernaut, there's no competing with it if you're indie.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Saxophone posted:

I'd be very interested to see a graph that indicates rating given vs time played.

Starbound seems very cool and appealing if you've never seen it. And the first few hours are really fun and cool as you zip around through space. But then the veneer falls off shortly after and you see that that's all there is to the game; there's very little depth there.

Those sales numbers have got to be boosted by people that just pick it up on sale and never bother to play it, or by reviews by people that have played it for a couple of hours tops.

one of my friends still defends this poo poo game to the death because Muh Bird Women and "Modding makes the game fun"

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

spit on my clit posted:

one of my friends still defends this poo poo game to the death because Muh Bird Women and "Modding makes the game fun"

ew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

spit on my clit posted:

:sever: