Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

you can't do that for at least a few weeks after the procedure

😱😱😱😱😱

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Heath posted:

People get really really attached to Let's Players for some reason and impugning their character in any way is like, insulting my best friend, man

It's because a lot of people who do LP's also stream, and smarts will have tip jars, patreons and the like. If they're not followed a lot, people fool themselves into thinking LP'rs / Streamers ARE their friends. Like if you're the kind of person who donates to an LP'rs patreon, watch them all day, talk to them in chat, and then give them $100+ tips on a weekly basis you're going to be so invested to that person's personality that you're going to start basing your personal identity around it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Turtlicious posted:

It's because a lot of people who do LP's also stream, and smarts will have tip jars, patreons and the like. If they're not followed a lot, people fool themselves into thinking LP'rs / Streamers ARE their friends. Like if you're the kind of person who donates to an LP'rs patreon, watch them all day, talk to them in chat, and then give them $100+ tips on a weekly basis you're going to be so invested to that person's personality that you're going to start basing your personal identity around it.

If you are that sort of person, you should be locked up for your own good, and of those around you, though.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

steinrokkan posted:

If you are that sort of person, you should be locked up for your own good, and of those around you, though.

I mean, yeah obviously, but look at these dudes streams sometimes. Like it's the only way I can think of why a dude would just throw hundreds of dollars at LPrs on a weekly basis.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

unfortunately there are enough of these people that people playing Minecraft on youtube earn ten billion dollars an hour and have action figures made of them

(in fairness, I assume most of their followers are kids and this only lasts until they get brain worms and upload videos of adorable chibi versions of themselves singing along to the Horst-Wessel-Lied with the lyrics rearranged to be about rethinking age of consent laws)

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
It is nothing special about Let's Plays imo. You see these super insular, weird mini-communities everywhere, including SA subforums and just long on-going threads. People end up caring about those communities and the people they shitpost with over time. Those communities can develop into useful sources of information with a core of people who care about each other, I think, but they can also be just massively unhealthy and idiotic.

When your starting point is something like "video games" or even "sexy video games", you are just more likely to end up with a community of horrible people than if you were into gardening, I think.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Grandmother of Five posted:

It is nothing special about Let's Plays imo. You see these super insular, weird mini-communities everywhere, including SA subforums and just long on-going threads. People end up caring about those communities and the people they shitpost with over time. Those communities can develop into useful sources of information with a core of people who care about each other, I think, but they can also be just massively unhealthy and idiotic.

When your starting point is something like "video games" or even "sexy video games", you are just more likely to end up with a community of horrible people than if you were into gardening, I think.

This is probably the best way to explain it all, I think.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Grandmother of Five posted:

No way, have you ever seen the dirt on gardening?

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
The closest thing to a gardening sub-forum on SA is the Take a Hike subforum, I think, and I'm pretty sure that the Mt. Everestt death-pool people have retreated into that space, so, yeah.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Heath posted:

People get really really attached to Let's Players for some reason and impugning their character in any way is like, insulting my best friend, man

Parasocial relationship.

Honestly it kind of felt like my friends were moving out of town when I ran out of pokecpn sonic lps to watch

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Stink Terios posted:

No way, have you ever seen the dirt on gardening?

Boo!

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
Hey does anyone know where I can find the Culligan / MrWater stories thread but with the pictures? I remember that from forever ago, and would love to find the pictures again if they exist anywhere.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh yeah I heard about the Something Awful forums :mmmhmm:

:mmmhmm:

I checked out the hiking subforum but it was really slow and I already have more places to hike than I'll ever get to do and hiking is kind of a solo hobby anyway so I didnt go back :shrug:

got any sevens has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Apr 3, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Solice Kirsk posted:

Eh, I liked VendaGoat. He was fun in BFC.

He's a really bad poster

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Improbable Lobster posted:

He's a really bad poster

I've always viewed him as a white noise poster until he started posting drunk in the Westworld threads. Goddamn those were some embarrassingly bad posts

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

timp posted:

I've always viewed him as a white noise poster until he started posting drunk in the Westworld threads. Goddamn those were some embarrassingly bad posts

But but we all really needed to know how much he wants to gently caress the tattoo lady. Whose name he never bothered to learn.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy poo poo, do people take playing video games while being recorded way too seriously. :psyduck:

I haven't watched her stuff but people in this thread are being weirdly vindictive of a rather vanilla stranger so in that way I agree with you.

Though that doesn't mesh well with turtilious Psyche class 101 poo poo post

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

timp posted:

Huh, seems like I missed out on a lot of the crazy poo poo. He was alright in BFC.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

It must be like how zoux was kind of cool if you exclusively read his posts in the Trump thread

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Venda goat was always pretending to be drunk, but made a constant string of posts about how much he totally wanted to gently caress [ACTOR]/[CELEBRITY]/[COSPLAYER] regardless of inebriation.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

gross

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

i know. pretending to be drunk is totes creepy.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlestheHammer posted:

I haven't watched her stuff but people in this thread are being weirdly vindictive of a rather vanilla stranger so in that way I agree with you.

Though that doesn't mesh well with turtilious Psyche class 101 poo poo post

I love everyone, and I'd rather think people are too nice than too mean.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Venda goat was always pretending to be drunk, but made a constant string of posts about how much he totally wanted to gently caress [ACTOR]/[CELEBRITY]/[COSPLAYER] regardless of inebriation.
it's good to gently caress

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I am shocked by this doctrine!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

steinrokkan posted:

There was a time when GBS posters would start small, non-serious threads in LP about weird games, and Voidburger really lost her poo poo about it because those posters ruined the sanctity of LPs by not taking them seriously enough and encouraging "low effort posting" in their own threads. That was pretty fun.

Sometime around I wanna say '14? Maybe as late as early into the next year, this set of attitudes came to a head where there was a serious hundreds of pages long sticky thread debating the state of the sub-forum, and how to deflate the problems. The fact that lp started on sa, and was now something with tens of thousands of offensively bad examples of elsewhere like youtube, led to a slow creep of higher standards, and more importantly elitism. When people would join and start with some rule breaking/low effort lp, people would just tell them to go back to the sandbox thread without any other comment, to the point where new posters started assuming it was a thread for posting permission, not constructive criticism. I was seeing people complain that a gba screenshot only looked about on par with hardware clarity, instead of like 1080p pixel perfect scrutiny. There was a brouhaha where some lpers decided to do the first Silent Hill game blind as a diversion from their normal major project, and a forums regular known for horror games threw a huge hissy fit that they were wandering blind and making jokes instead of it being some major informative, immersive experience.

Eventually that thread did its job of being a collective "calm the gently caress down" message and things got better. For a while people were adding a "2007 Style" label when they wanted to do casual jokey (and likely drunk) lps, but that type of presenting has gotten common enough now that there's normally no need for the label. Basically if you're entertaining/interesting, you're free to do lp however you want.

--

Regarding stream culture, it's absolutely filled with weird people desperate to connect with the people on camera, to the point where throwing money at them seems like a good idea. It's the same mentality you see with camgirls' regulars, only without the sexual charades.

I watch a lot of streams because I like old games, and it's more entertaining than turning on some dumb sitcom for me. But I see a lot of streamers that start getting unhealthy with it too. Long term streamers you often see it turn into a job instead of a hobby, with all the emotional baggage the difference between the two carries. They start giving themselves rigid schedules, and you can see clearly they're playing for their audience, not because they enjoy gaming anymore. Some even get celebrity arrogance to them when it's like maaaan, you're just some dude on a couch whose good at Nintendos. I tend to be turned off by these job streamers and just stick with the folks who are there to have fun and socialize.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Choco1980 posted:

Sometime around I wanna say '14? Maybe as late as early into the next year, this set of attitudes came to a head where there was a serious hundreds of pages long sticky thread debating the state of the sub-forum, and how to deflate the problems. The fact that lp started on sa, and was now something with tens of thousands of offensively bad examples of elsewhere like youtube, led to a slow creep of higher standards, and more importantly elitism. When people would join and start with some rule breaking/low effort lp, people would just tell them to go back to the sandbox thread without any other comment, to the point where new posters started assuming it was a thread for posting permission, not constructive criticism. I was seeing people complain that a gba screenshot only looked about on par with hardware clarity, instead of like 1080p pixel perfect scrutiny. There was a brouhaha where some lpers decided to do the first Silent Hill game blind as a diversion from their normal major project, and a forums regular known for horror games threw a huge hissy fit that they were wandering blind and making jokes instead of it being some major informative, immersive experience.

Nowadays I'd argue the problem is the opposite. I've tried watching some of recent slowbeef's videos, who used to be stickler for high standards, and his output was far worse than even some of the poo poo he used to mock on RP. The LP subforum is kinda redundant for video lps because what you find there is likely to be average at best, in the context of what you can find with a simple search on youtube.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I still find watching other people play video games to be weird. They'll have their face in a little embedded screen, looking like some guest on a radio show, which, eh huh I just don't see the point. Maybe I'm just too :corsair: to get it. But the only time I'm watching someone play a video game is for instructional purposes, like Scott Manley showing how to do something in KSP or someone demonstrating a neat trick in a game. But just watching them play a game? I feel like it would be more fun to be the one playing the game instead of watching someone else. But that's just me.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

steinrokkan posted:

Nowadays I'd argue the problem is the opposite. I've tried watching some of recent slowbeef's videos, who used to be stickler for high standards, and his output was far worse than even some of the poo poo he used to mock on RP. The LP subforum is kinda redundant for video lps because what you find there is likely to be average at best, in the context of what you can find with a simple search on youtube.

Slowbeef is married with two kids and an Actual Job, so the fact that he puts out anything at all is amazing. I find him a lot more tolerable than a lot of the other SA quit-my-job-to-stream-full-time people, with the major exception of Smite who puts enough effort into his stuff to make it unique and fun. People I used to like have turned into cliquey weirdos and are unwatchable.

There's a dude named Pr0bait who seems to follow all the SA people around and constantly throw literally hundreds of dollars at them on a nightly basis and seeing people drop that kind of cash on video game personalities to buy them as friends and have their name constantly dominate the donation charts is so deeply creepy that I can't stand watching certain streams anymore.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Panfilo posted:

I still find watching other people play video games to be weird. They'll have their face in a little embedded screen, looking like some guest on a radio show, which, eh huh I just don't see the point. Maybe I'm just too :corsair: to get it. But the only time I'm watching someone play a video game is for instructional purposes, like Scott Manley showing how to do something in KSP or someone demonstrating a neat trick in a game. But just watching them play a game? I feel like it would be more fun to be the one playing the game instead of watching someone else. But that's just me.

Agreed, but I do like screenshot LP's where they make a second narrative or just outright have tons of fun with it. Dark Id's Resident Evil LPs and Travis something-or-other(can't remember the numbers) Earthbound LP are the ones that jump to mind. But I haven't really read any of them since about 2009 or 10.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Solice Kirsk posted:

Agreed, but I do like screenshot LP's where they make a second narrative or just outright have tons of fun with it. Dark Id's Resident Evil LPs and Travis something-or-other(can't remember the numbers) Earthbound LP are the ones that jump to mind. But I haven't really read any of them since about 2009 or 10.

Yo that Earthbound one was me, before a namechange. I was Travis343. Glad to know people still remember it. That was like 2008 yeah. Goddamn

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

purple death ray posted:

Yo that Earthbound one was me, before a namechange. I was Travis343. Glad to know people still remember it. That was like 2008 yeah. Goddamn

That was a great lp friend

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Panfilo posted:

THe appeal is that you have someone doing it for you like you're a king and the player is a peasant.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Some of us don't have the time or patience anymore for some of the older or more tedious games that we always wanted to sit down and play. Cool Ghost's FF8 LP is a good example of this. He's finding things in that game I had no idea about, and making it quite entertaining. Sometimes as well its just enjoying funny people talking about vidja games or just being goofs. I miss those old Satan's Accountants videos like Desert Bus, their 6 hour pokemon blue LP where they raised a Charizard before they left Pallet town and just acted out some silly fanfiction, etc.

e: Shadow Catboy's Planescape: Torment thread is sublime. He filled it with a ton of original writing to make it something even better. I wish I could get that published or something, its amazing.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

:same:

The Knights of the Old Republic 2 screenshot LP was amazing. Dude was really good at explaining things the game left out due to being shipped incomplete, paraphrased dialogue really well and was good with choosing smileys to represent characters. IIRC he also downloaded the fan-made mod that added back in a bunch of stuff that was cut and made the story much better.

e: I like screenshot LPs over video LPs for basically the same reasons I like reading books over watching videos on my phone I guess`

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

purple death ray posted:

It was fantastic. I still recommend it to people that aren't fans of LPs to show that they can be filled with talent and effort.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kelp Me! posted:

:same:

The Knights of the Old Republic 2 screenshot LP was amazing. Dude was really good at explaining things the game left out due to being shipped incomplete, paraphrased dialogue really well and was good with choosing smileys to represent characters. IIRC he also downloaded the fan-made mod that added back in a bunch of stuff that was cut and made the story much better.

e: I like screenshot LPs over video LPs for basically the same reasons I like reading books over watching videos on my phone I guess`
this was looooong before the mod was out, he spliced all that together himself for the sake of the LP I think

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
That KOTOR 2 thread was basically how I came across LP in the first place. And yeah, it predates the restoration patch(es?), and all that stuff was just written into the thread. It was great.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

this was looooong before the mod was out, he spliced all that together himself for the sake of the LP I think

o drat that's even more awesome somehow

but yeah his explanations at the end made the story much clearer, the way it shipped was a muddled mess. I'm pretty sure he also had a long theory on the main villain's motivations that he backed up with an assload of actual dialogue and lore from throughout the game, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Kelp Me! posted:

o drat that's even more awesome somehow

but yeah his explanations at the end made the story much clearer, the way it shipped was a muddled mess. I'm pretty sure he also had a long theory on the main villain's motivations that he backed up with an assload of actual dialogue and lore from throughout the game, too.

Yeah, he had a pretty solid theory about the villain's identity which technically isn't canon but I've yet to hear anyone disagree with it. The theory was put to Chris Avellone, whose response was something like "well we didn't intend that but yeah that's pretty good".