Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

ratbert90 posted:

Thanks. Product release is the end of August. :unsmith:

As encouragement when I left the company that valued me like poo poo I was able to secure a 25% pay raise at the company I work at now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ratbert90 posted:

So I should have mentioned:

I took the 80k for 2 reasons:

1) It got me out of Idaho.
2) I was just going to be a systems engineer, not a full stack engineer.

When I became full stack I went to upper management and told them 80k isn't enough, that's when they promised me 120k after we did some negotiating.

Now; I would have liked to instantly start looking, but it's hard to not finish a project and look for another job. Especially after 18 months of being at a place. I would really like to have the product on my resume.

hold on a minute there. this company hosed you on promised compensation and you're still going to finish their project? you should be doing everything you can short of actively sabotaging it to make sure that it does not ship. do not type another line of code. do not fix any bugs. do not attend meetings. do work on your resume, take interviews, take a vacation, call in sick, go see a movie in the middle of the day, and take a stay-at-work-vacation.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Management posted:

hold on a minute there. this company hosed you on promised compensation and you're still going to finish their project? you should be doing everything you can short of actively sabotaging it to make sure that it does not ship. do not type another line of code. do not fix any bugs. do not attend meetings. do work on your resume, take interviews, take a vacation, call in sick, go see a movie in the middle of the day, and take a stay-at-work-vacation.

Being able to put this project on my resume makes me worth several figgies more than not having it on my resume.

I sure as gently caress am not writing that great of code anynore though. And I sure as gently caress am not doing anything extra like writing the wiki or finishing unit tests.

They will get their product, but will spend several hundred thousands of dollars training somebody else to take over it.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

ratbert90 posted:

Thanks. Product release is the end of August. :unsmith:

i dont get this. if youve made a significant contribution to x you can put it on your resume regardless of what youre doing when it launches

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

ratbert90 posted:

Being able to put this project on my resume makes me worth several figgies more than not having it on my resume.

I sure as gently caress am not writing that great of code anynore though. And I sure as gently caress am not doing anything extra like writing the wiki or finishing unit tests.

They will get their product, but will spend several hundred thousands of dollars training somebody else to take over it.

I think you're doing the right thing. Don't feel like you owe them anything, don't stay up late worrying about this or that, just do the minimum you have to do to get it out the door and get that win

Your next job interview is going to ask about the project though (thats the whole benefit of finishing it), so be ready to talk about SOMETHING when they ask you about testing, documentation, etc etc.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

poty posted:

I don't get this. if you've made a significant contribution to x you can put it on your resume regardless of what you're doing when it launches

Small enough shop where if I don't finish it, it doesn't get finished.

ADINSX posted:

I think you're doing the right thing. Don't feel like you owe them anything, don't stay up late worrying about this or that, just do the minimum you have to do to get it out the door and get that win

Your next job interview is going to ask about the project though (thats the whole benefit of finishing it), so be ready to talk about SOMETHING when they ask you about testing, documentation, etc etc.

Oh, there's documentation and testing right now. Actually, it's pretty decent. However no more tests, no more documentation.

Anything new I have to code to finish meeting spec is being programmed India style. Very ridged/inflexible, and exactly 100% to spec.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 27, 2017

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Start interviewing, don't wait until project is done, that's dumb

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Start interviewing, don't wait until project is done, that's dumb

I updated my LinkedIn and updated my resume already. Project release is 2 months away.

If somebody want's to talk I am willing to listen to their offer/go to an interview.

Edit*

The other thing I wanted was a share of the company. Being the lead engineer on this product, which if supported correctly could take the company from 14~million in revenue to over 50 if supported correctly was always a sticking point for me. The owner of the company though basically told me "you should be grateful for a paycheck." The next day was when the squelched on their 120k promise as well. Those two things are actually unrelated, as the owner of the company doesn't really have anything to do with the company (other than the one who can approve ownership shares.)

The part ownership thing was never dangled in front of me or promised though. It's something I felt should happen with the amount of work and effort I have put in to help grow and get the company out of the hole it's been in for the last decade.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 27, 2017

Iverron
May 13, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

squelched on the deal and instead offered my 90,000$ instead because "they want to lower their debt."

Fuuuuuck that. I don't give a gently caress about your debt.

My soon to be previous employer started pulling these shenanigans all the time over the last year or two. "What do you want? <Owner> to take out a loan to make payroll?"

1. Holy gently caress you actually asked that question.

2. Why would I give a gently caress beyond my own job / salary security (which you just cratered).

3. Jesus Christ I can't believe you actually said that out loud.

:sever:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Iverron posted:

My soon to be previous employer started pulling these shenanigans all the time over the last year or two. "What do you want? <Owner> to take out a loan to make payroll?"

2. Why would I give a gently caress beyond my own job / salary security (which you just cratered).

"Oh goodness no! I wouldn't ever want you to do that! That's why I am sure the owner is driving a Kia right now correct?"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ratbert90 posted:

Small enough shop where if I don't finish it, it doesn't get finished.

ratbert90 posted:

...if supported correctly could take the company from 14~million in revenue to over 50

this is what we call leverage and you have failed to use it. writing bad code only punishes your colleagues. stopping development and killing the project means that all the money they paid you to work on it this far has been wasted and they don't get the benefits of your better system.

and you can still talk about a project without it being complete. just say you handed it off.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Management posted:

this is what we call leverage and you have failed to use it. writing bad code only punishes your colleagues. stopping development and killing the project means that all the money they paid you to work on it this far has been wasted and they don't get the benefits of your better system.

and you can still talk about a project without it being complete. just say you handed it off.

I got nothing. You are right. I will start looking today.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
your project is going to add 36 million in revenue and they managed to squirm out of a 40k raise by saying they didn't have the money

just thought id point that out

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Iverron posted:

i wonder what his response to "yes" would've been

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

ThePeavstenator posted:

your project is going to add 36 million in revenue and they managed to squirm out of a 40k raise by saying they didn't have the money

just thought id point that out

:capitalism:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

I got nothing. You are right. I will start looking today.
good man

your red text is telling you what to do

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

omg, just finished the quickest job search of my life, exactly 1 month start to finish

:homebrew:

i tracked the whole thing in a spreadsheet so maybe ill share my ~~**data driven**~~ approach

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

ratbert90 posted:

So I should have mentioned:

I took the 80k for 2 reasons:

1) It got me out of Idaho.
2) I was just going to be a systems engineer, not a full stack engineer.

When I became full stack I went to upper management and told them 80k isn't enough, that's when they promised me 120k after we did some negotiating.

Now; I would have liked to instantly start looking, but it's hard to not finish a project and look for another job. Especially after 18 months of being at a place. I would really like to have the product on my resume.

buddy i have all sorts of projects that got canceled 80-90% into them on my resume. if i did the work, it's there.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I started replying to recruiters finally since my project just ended. I should proactively look for other stuff though, but I'm very lazy.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

JOB SEARCH 2017 BREAKDOWN:

applied for 7 jobs
phone screened at 6 (1 just didn't reply)
interviewed at 5 (1 had just filled position)
got rejected from 2 (1 was mutual: node and mongo lmao)
did 2 homework projects, each took ~6 hours :riker:
got 3 verbal offers
1 is 'trying to figure some things out' still i.e. vaporware
1 big co spent a week trying to to figure out how they can hire me (make the legal side of remote w2 work out)
1 paper offer

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

I started replying to recruiters finally since my project just ended. I should proactively look for other stuff though, but I'm very lazy.

proactive is such an undeniably better way to get a job, recruiters are garbage and mostly fill garbage jobs

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Where'd you find your jerbs? indeed? snack overflow? I do need to start looking for a job, but I dun wanna! :cry:

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

waiting for my boss to get in so I can tell him I'm leaving. Why am I nervous?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

DuckConference posted:

waiting for my boss to get in so I can tell him I'm leaving. Why am I nervous?

im your boss. please dont leave. i thought we were meant to be

ps: im late because im having my way with your mam heh

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

poty posted:

im your boss. please dont leave. i thought we were meant to be

ps: im late because im having my way with your mam heh

if you liked it then you should have put a ring on it paid me some fat stacks.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

proactive is such an undeniably better way to get a job, recruiters are garbage and mostly fill garbage jobs

I know, I'm only replying to internal recruiters and not 3rd party fuckers at least

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Bhodi posted:

Where'd you find your jerbs? indeed? snack overflow? I do need to start looking for a job, but I dun wanna! :cry:

stack overflow and wfh.io mostly. I think like 3 of the jobs I applied for were not the listed job, but instead on webpage of company

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Bhodi posted:

indeed was cool cause all you past searches automatically become job agents and you don't need to have an account

I think like only one of the apps that ended up becoming interviews came from indeed tho

poty
Jun 21, 2008

DuckConference posted:

if you liked it then you should have put a ring on it paid me some fat stacks.

your breaking my heart

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

it's done! I'm outta here (in a couple of weeks) and on to better things

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

DuckConference posted:

it's done! I'm outta here (in a couple of weeks) and on to better things

:hfive:

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

dragon enthusiast posted:

indeed was cool cause all you past searches automatically become job agents and you don't need to have an account

I think like only one of the apps that ended up becoming interviews came from indeed tho

lol I interviewed WITH indeed and got asked poo poo like whats the one word that inspires me and also what is my favorite swear word

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Flat Daddy posted:

lol I interviewed WITH indeed and got asked poo poo like whats the one word that inspires me and also what is my favorite swear word

gently caress and also gently caress

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm inspired to gently caress and be hosed

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
FYI: Updating a resume at work is cathartic.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
you are not so central to the business that they'd give up on tens of millions of dollars

they will take the $40k they stole from you, hire a contractor for a month to get to MVP, then begin their search for the next long-term sucker

i like you rat, you're genial and competent in the threads ive seen. but you're fooling yourself with their lies

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

you are not so central to the business that they'd give up on tens of millions of dollars

they will take the $40k they stole from you, hire a contractor for a month to get to MVP, then begin their search for the next long-term sucker

i like you rat, you're genial and competent in the threads ive seen. but you're fooling yourself with their lies

Oh, based on the security market and what I am bringing to it, I know the revenue potential of this product. That being said, I know darn well that they would just hire a contractor. However it would hurt a bit worse than you think. Between the build system and various programs, even a competent contractor would struggle to get a grasp of everything for a few months.

It would cost them easily 200k in lost revenue, not to mention the salary to go with a contractor. And 4+ months of time.

Is the company willing to eat that cost? Sure.
Am I integral to the long term health of the company? Nah.
Would it be wise of them to keep me on? Yes.

But companies arent wise. Upper managment sucks at most companies and they absolutely would rather cut off the nose to spite the face. I am well aware of that.

I appreciate the kind words as well. Always good for a moral boost.
:unsmith:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ratbert90 posted:

Oh, based on the security market and what I am bringing to it, I know the revenue potential of this product. That being said, I know darn well that they would just hire a contractor. However it would hurt a bit worse than you think. Between the build system and various programs, even a competent contractor would struggle to get a grasp of everything for a few months.

It would cost them easily 200k in lost revenue, not to mention the salary to go with a contractor. And 4+ months of time.

Is the company willing to eat that cost? Sure.
Am I integral to the long term health of the company? Nah.
Would it be wise of them to keep me on? Yes.

But companies arent wise. Upper managment sucks at most companies and they absolutely would rather cut off the nose to spite the face. I am well aware of that.

I appreciate the kind words as well. Always good for a moral boost.
:unsmith:

i am leaving behind a 90% complete project that will never be delivered because in the mean time the product lead "for fun" refactored the whole module in a different and incompatible way directly in trunk without talking to me and left my changes completely unmergeable despite him not fixing hundreds of bugs that i did. i feel 0 guilt at all that this committed-to-customers project is not done.

you dont owe them poo poo. you do work in exchange for money. they arent giving you the money for the work. end of story.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cis autodrag posted:

i am leaving behind a 90% complete project that will never be delivered because in the mean time the product lead "for fun" refactored the whole module in a different and incompatible way directly in trunk without talking to me and left my changes completely unmergeable despite him not fixing hundreds of bugs that i did. i feel 0 guilt at all that this committed-to-customers project is not done.

you dont owe them poo poo. you do work in exchange for money. they arent giving you the money for the work. end of story.

Thank you. :)
Already updated the resume. Now the difficult part is to find another place for a embedded Linux engineer. Be it remote or within a hour of Holland Michigan. I would move, but I have a daughter as a Junior next year and a foster daughter who will also be a junior next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Indeed loving rules and you can search for like C++ and exclude any ads that contain the word 'game'

• Locked thread