Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

You should've allowed turn-based strategy into the month so you could enjoy X-com and maybe Valkyria Chronicles.

Hopefully you will have time to enjoy many Metroidvanias next month, the genre can get long in the tooth.

I actually played some of Valkyria Chronicles in Japanuary. It was good but the other games took over.
And I have played some Xcom this month too, but it's not grabbed me yet.

Hopefully it will because SA is nuts for it and I'd like to experience that too :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I played xcom2 and it was cool but it was really short and all the missions were pretty much the same

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think X-com 1 might be a more interesting game than 2, overall. It has better enemy design, at least.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i haven't played 2 but xcom 1 is really easy once you build all the satellites. i think there's a Pro Mode option to change how they work though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm going to follow up finishing Nier by playing God of War 2 HD, a much simpler game about hitting people until they explode, because it was £4 and I haven't played it since 2007.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

oddium posted:

i haven't played 2 but xcom 1 is really easy once you build all the satellites. i think there's a Pro Mode option to change how they work though

Both games have a weird issue where the early game is much harder than the late game because you have so many things to build up and keep track of.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I can't stop playing Hitman, help! I was gonna play some Papers Please or Tangledeep or anything else on my backlog and instead I spent today screwing around in Paris and learning Marrakesh and it was a blast, but oh man, there goes all of my gaming time. :D

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm still waiting for Papers Please to release on the Vita

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sefal posted:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sefal posted:

Why?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm finishing Blood & Wine and man I love the main theme more and more. It's almost like something out of a Disney movie but more serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU3PeaZZ_tg

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

I think a game like that works pretty well on a portable machine.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Hey, how did that translation of the prequel to E.V.O end up? Is the game good?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Asari are the worst and yet they have to be everywhere. And the new aliens are just more humanoids that have Australian accents for some reason

i'm asari you feel that way

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Hey, how did that translation of the prequel to E.V.O end up? Is the game good?

Highwang streamed it, so to answer your questions to the best of my ability based on what I saw:

1) It ended up getting finished and being pretty good for what it is. No shot at the translator, there's only so much you can do with an Enix game from 1990.
2) No. loving no.
3) Seriously the endgame bosses are puzzle fights, except some of the components in the attack sequence are procs and won't reliably work when they need to, breaking the sequence and usually killing you.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Lurdiak posted:

VideoGames your RTS month is turning into a mess!

RTS games are bad so Videogames is making good choices instead :cool:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Despite me really liking RTS games as a concept there are like, maybe 3-4 RTS series that were ever worth playing.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

I think X-com 1 might be a more interesting game than 2, overall. It has better enemy design, at least.

It's a weird mix for sure. The Andromedon and the walking mech are really neat and present the player with some cool potential tactics. My favorite if these was hacking a dead Andromedon suit and then "kool-aid man"-ing him around the map wrecking walls and scouting and leaving a trail of hell to give my dudes an edge in battle. On the other hand, the hybrid grunts were boring and the teleport glitchy guys were just obnoxious without being interesting. The mantis guys could also lead to some frustrating sudden deaths that would feel unfair.

I'm going to admit that I also enjoyed the timed missions since they forced me forward with a sense of tension and rewarded me for sticking to safe cover locations and not really ever feeling unfair in terms of combat confrontations.

It could have used more combat scenarios, but I'd say that's true of most tactical RPG's.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Oh yeah snake people were gross

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I liked Warcraft 3 and Civilization Revolution. Sim City 3000 was pretty good too.

I wish I could find a new RTS game I liked. Playstation Plus gave away one of the Tropico games for free a few months back, but I got bored before I finished the tutorial. RTSs just don't feel right on a console.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The best RTS is actually Pikmin

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

VideoGames posted:

I know! It's Total Annihilations fault. If it wasn't so good it wouldn't have ruined all over RTSes for me. The closest one is Planetary Annihilation which I have been enjoying a ton of.
Did you end up trying COH? You should give that a shot before the month's up.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Help Im Alive posted:

The best RTS is actually Pikmin

It's the only RTS that I've beaten, I'm really bad at anything that requires active micromanagement and strategy

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The best RTS of all time was Warcraft III because the dumbest, stupidest gimmicky poo poo you could imagine were not only effective but the most preferred pro strategies and this went on unabated for years.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wish I liked RTS games. There's such a huge disconnect between what I want to do (take my time, build up a cool base, explore the map, have skirmishes over tactically-important areas, etc.) and what you're supposed to do in order to win (do some of those things very quickly) that I just can't really get into them.

Luckily, there's the Civilization series for the thing I actually want to do, so I'm not too sad about it :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like RTS games but I'm awful at them and I kind of lost interest when they moved away from base building, that was my favourite bit.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The only good RTS was Brutal Legend.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bloodychill posted:

Oh yeah snake people were gross

Boob Snakes and Energy Babes both seemed like they were some pervy nexus mod that was somehow in the main game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Serf posted:

As a guy who doesn't like RTS games, I was so disappointed by this. :smith:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Serf posted:

I really really wanted to love this mechanic, but it was mostly a slog.

Still a great game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
XCOM is really the only RTS game I like but even then I barely like it because it is just so unflinchingly mean to the player. I know that's the game's whole design philosophy, fighting juuuust barely possible odds and coming out juuuuust barely on top, but I find that frustrating instead of fun personally.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

company of heroes is the best rts and sometimes i'll just watch old volks volks sniper mg replay analysis because it's :discourse:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

CJacobs posted:

XCOM is really the only RTS game I like but even then I barely like it because it is just so unflinchingly mean to the player. I know that's the game's whole design philosophy, fighting juuuust barely possible odds and coming out juuuuust barely on top, but I find that frustrating instead of fun personally.

I thought the older XCOMs were also TBS

RTS = Real-Time Strategy

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 23, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

XCOM isn't an RTS. Like, I know it's cool to argue 'but where do you draw a line, what does RTS stand for?' but nah, XCOM isn't an RTS. Warcraft, Starcraft, C&C, Homeworld, Grey Goo, Total Annihilation - yes, XCOM - no.

Serf
May 5, 2011

CJacobs posted:

As a guy who doesn't like RTS games, I was so disappointed by this. :smith:

The moment that I realized I was playing an RTS is the moment I removed the game and put it on the shelf never to be touched again. And I like RTS games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah that's like saying Fire Emblem is an RTS

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I always thought of it as an SRPG like Fire Emblem/FFT/Advance Wars (rip)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

xcom is a Tactics, pioneered by the groundbreaking final fantasy tactics advance

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My fave as a kid was Battle for Middle Earth because it was easy and I could be an orc commander with a million minions loving up the lame humans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

oddium posted:

xcom is a Tactics, pioneered by the groundbreaking final fantasy tactics advance

Tactics Ogre came out first

• Locked thread