Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Retromancer posted:

Ancestral costing $50 is the only reason I haven't bought the mono U turns deck in paper just to gently caress around at FNM with every once in a while. Visions is like half the price of the deck and is absolutely necessary for it to run.

Actually half the price is in Time Warp. Most Turns decks don't play Visions because a Dictate/Mine effect should be just as good. If you're playing As Foretold then you would probably use Visions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

Actually half the price is in Time Warp. Most Turns decks don't play Visions because a Dictate/Mine effect should be just as good. If you're playing As Foretold then you would probably use Visions.

Cryptics too. There's a guy at my store who will show up with the deck once in a while, it's funny to watch but miserable to play against. I haven't seen him run Visions.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Because yeti aren't ogrewelming enough.
You...you I like

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Because yeti aren't ogrewelming enough.

It's beautiful.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone have a good SB guide for Modern Dredge?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Cryptics too. There's a guy at my store who will show up with the deck once in a while, it's funny to watch but miserable to play against. I haven't seen him run Visions.

Our local job corps comes to play on modern nights, sometimes. I like running my goofiest decks when they're there because they love seeing them play out. Even my opponents thought it was amazing.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mcmagic posted:

A Colt .45, a fifth of scotch, and a pack of Lucky Strikes.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mcmagic posted:

Gnaw to the Bone, Ray of Revelation, Ancient Grudge, Leyline of the Void, other stuff?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

Take out the bad cards and put the good cards in.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

just had the weirdest draft tonight. player pulled a force of will, but wasnt allowed to drop during draft (he 100% should have been allowed.)

so he proceeded to draft all of the 3 drops, of all colors, not even trying to make a deck, loving everyone's curve up. he was just taking any creature or spell that cost 3. then once drafting was over he dropped.

he is my new hero.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

gif Probst posted:

just had the weirdest draft tonight. player pulled a force of will, but wasnt allowed to drop during draft (he 100% should have been allowed.)

so he proceeded to draft all of the 3 drops, of all colors, not even trying to make a deck, loving everyone's curve up. he was just taking any creature or spell that cost 3. then once drafting was over he dropped.

he is my new hero.

Why didn't he just take the FOW and then draft the other 44 cards like normal, like a non-idiot?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Lone Goat posted:

Why didn't he just take the FOW and then draft the other 44 cards like normal, like a non-idiot?

Probably because the store owner/judge was treating him like poo poo, so gently caress that.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

gif Probst posted:

he is my new hero.

This owns.

I'm fond of farting up a room when you've been done wrong, though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

gif Probst posted:

he is my new hero.

Good. I hope the TO/owner realizes they can't make people "draft correctly" by keeping them from "dropping and ruining the sanctity of the draft."

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

gif Probst posted:

he is my new hero.

Good. Not sure why he wanted to draft (double money rare pack?) but the shop owner shouldn't have done that poo poo.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

So I recently got reminded of the existence of Counterflux and why is it red? What's red about it?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

ZeroCount posted:

So I recently got reminded of the existence of Counterflux and why is it red? What's red about it?

Overload is the relevant guild mechanic

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ZeroCount posted:

I always wondered this too. I'd say the uncounterability but I think red has the least number of uncounterable spells.

My guess is since normal counter target spell, this spell can't be countered cards like Last Word cost 2UU, the R is in there to make it a little harder to cast while being cheaper overall.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

mcmagic posted:

The general accepted formula is you can cut a conflagrate, a single land (dakmor, mountain), a narcomoeba or a bloodghast, a number of your dark blasts, a life from the loam if the matchup is less grindy, neonate is also cut-able if you're running it. Other cuts get a bit more tough.

This one is a little older but is really thorough - the matchup guide lists relevant cards too. It's interesting that with some of these he acknowledges they're bringing in hate but doesn't sideboard anything.
http://www.mtgmintcard.com/articles/writers/zen-takahashi/the-ultimate-dredge-sideboard-guide

Much less specific info, just general sideboarding guide mentioning a few specific matchups and specific cards in those matchups.
http://www.gatheringmagic.com/benfriedman-06022017-dredge-redux/

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

clamiam45 posted:

Probably because the store owner/judge was treating him like poo poo, so gently caress that.

The store owner was treating him like poo poo because there was a Force of Will in the pack?

This story is missing a part.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lone Goat posted:

The store owner was treating him like poo poo because there was a Force of Will in the pack?

I've known a particular store owner who threatened to not only ban, but also call the police for "stolen goods", on people who dropped from drafts. He wanted to protect the sanctity of the draft experience or some poo poo, not realizing that forcing people to continue drafting would just create that behavior anyway.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Lone Goat posted:

The part where the store owner told him he wasn't allowed to drop when he absolutely is allowed to?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Look at this 93-94 Jund deck on coverage.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

I've known a particular store owner who threatened to not only ban, but also call the police for "stolen goods", on people who dropped from drafts. He wanted to protect the sanctity of the draft experience or some poo poo, not realizing that forcing people to continue drafting would just create that behavior anyway.

Our store owner would ban people from FNM drafts if they draft and dropped because he did FNM drafts (with prize support) cheaper than the price he sold three boosters

He's not running it to let you buy packs on a discount, he's running it so that people can play draft.

He didn't threaten to call the cops though.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

Look at this 93-94 Jund deck on coverage.

Dies to topdecked boros charm lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

80s James Hetfield posted:

Dies to topdecked boros charm lol

It really died to Ensnaring Bridge.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Mark Rosewater's Tumblr

quote:

catnamedjones asked: Is there a reason why 4 of the 5 Gods have golden heads?

Same reason four out of the five earliest Gatewatch members can have glowing eyes. : )

Can anyone explain this?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

gif Probst posted:

he is my new hero.

this guy sounds like a prick

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Dubious Challenge on camera in a Modern tournament. :woop:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

AlternateNu posted:

Dubious Challenge on camera in a Modern tournament. :woop:

All the readers in this deck are hilarious, nobody knows the cards for the combo.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

bigperm posted:

Mark Rosewater's Tumblr

Can anyone explain this?

Gideon's eyes don't glow, Kefnet doesn't have a hat. Not everybody got to jam the style in so hard, you know?

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

bigperm posted:

Mark Rosewater's Tumblr

Can anyone explain this?

They're dead planeswalkers repurposed theros style into the 'gods' they are now?

Edit - or more likely all of them (besides Bontu who is willingly loyal to Bolas) are being mind controlled

Wurzag fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 10, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cactrot posted:

All the readers in this deck are hilarious, nobody knows the cards for the combo.

And it crushes Brad Nelson. Mwwahahahahahah~

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What's the combo?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I can't stress enough how HORRIBLE the PS4 Twitch App is.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

TheKingofSprings posted:

What's the combo?

Dubious challenge, find a fatty and a glimmer point stag or flickerwhisp.

It also has breach, obviously.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

I can't stress enough how HORRIBLE the PS4 Twitch App is.

My favorite is that yoir resolution is larger than your tv screen you cannot make it smaller.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

My favorite is that yoir resolution is larger than your tv screen you cannot make it smaller.

Actually it's that you should buy a big-rear end HD 65" ultra high def sony television for $6500 (no shipping!) instead of trying your rinkadink 14" TV. Oh I'm sorry I forgot how important your built-in VCR player is. :rolleye:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

That I can live with even if it is ametuer poo poo. It's the fact that the stupid thing keeps switching resolutions every 5 seconds which causes the stream to constantly skip backward a few seconds. It's unwatchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Lone Goat posted:

I don't even understand the question. The store owner or judge (as I recall it's not clear which from the story) didn't put the Force of Will in the pack, so I guess the answer to your question is no, but I'm not sure because the premise is so misinformed as to be weird.

The store owner or judge ought not to have lied about dropping from a draft. WotC has remarked on players ability to drop from a draft and keep their products as recently as the latest Modern Masters set.