Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FC1 was a much more traditional linear affair, it just gave you enough room to approach the combat areas how you liked, instead of being set in mostly corridors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

doingitwrong posted:

I get that designing games with compelling organic exploration is hard and most players will absolutely not notice things, so the designers have my sympathies.

i feel like Ghost of Tsushima handled this best out of all the recent open world games in this style. gameplay wise it functioned basically like a ubisoft open world except instead of glowing icons and markers and overexplained game mechanics siloed off into their own marked out sections, you are motivated to explore based on unique landmarks, distant columns of smoke, the direction of the wind, dark realistic footprints in the mud etc. so it is all very seamless and minimizes that gamey feeling, it improves immersion substantially

one of the most frustrating things about Valhalla is that there is no option to even turn that poo poo off. even with every HUD element off in the settings you still see bright yellow "do a raid here" markers all over the map and the game interrupts whatever you are doing to throw a big "press Y to raid now!" dialog box into the middle of the screen

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I haven’t gotten to see the gameplay footage yet- I’m guessing weapon degradation isn’t back? I actually liked that in 2, when you’d run out of ammo and pick up a dropped gun and have it jam at the worst possible time.

Scavenging a rusted to poo poo AK and having it explode in your hands in the middle of a firefight was always fun.

Also it really wasn't that hard to keep your guns clean if you tried.

I hope they really turn the fire propagation stuff back up, though it doesn't look like it. I have fond memories of stealthing through an outpost planting C4 on red barrels, then detonating it all the second you get spotted and battling it out while the entire camp burns down around you.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Far Cry 1 doesn't really fit with the rest of the series. It's in the lineage of Crysis, by Crytek. Very much their style of game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The weapon degradation plus the checkpoints and the way the map was constructedade for a miserable experience in 2. It just made me use an AK the whole game since that gun seemed to degrade the slowest.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The secret was basically anything you bought that wasn’t the dart gun degraded very slowly, you mostly saw the jams and misfires on stuff you scavenged. Just replace your gun from the armory whenever you’re by it and you were fine.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

My only real problem with Far Cry 2 was the checkpoints and outposts respawning as soon as you are slightly out of range. Everything else, even the weapon degredation was great and added to the chaos of fights. And as said before, you're supposed to be restocking up in the armory before each mission anyway so guns jamming is rare unless you're scavenging rusty pieces of poo poo from enemies.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

They should bring back the map as an item you need to equip in your hands at look down at while trying not to drive off the road.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I always like it when developers attempt to work their systems in diagetically because otherwise it can be distracting for me to think about what a "skill tree" even means in the text of the game itself. Jason getting tribal tattoos in FC3 to represent the talent tree was hella dumb but you know, I appreciate the effort.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

exquisite tea posted:

I always like it when developers attempt to work their systems in diagetically because otherwise it can be distracting for me to think about what a "skill tree" even means in the text of the game itself. Jason getting tribal tattoos in FC3 to represent the talent tree was hella dumb but you know, I appreciate the effort.

Thinking back, that was tone perfect in that era

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

They should bring back the map as an item you need to equip in your hands at look down at while trying not to drive off the road.

This was the best thing about FC2 and I wish every game did it this way. The tension as you're rattling down some back road, getting chased by militants, look down at the map for a moment and bam you hit a deer, that's something I definitely miss. Mini-maps and out of game overlays just sap your immersion.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Factor Mystic posted:

This was the best thing about FC2 and I wish every game did it this way. The tension as you're rattling down some back road, getting chased by militants, look down at the map for a moment and bam you hit a deer, that's something I definitely miss. Mini-maps and out of game overlays just sap your immersion.

yeah i loved that as well. because of things like that fc2 was really the last game in the series where i ever felt suspense or surprise while out exploring the open world. i enjoyed 3 and 4, especially the latter, but that feeling of true chaos and fear was completely gone.

i think ramping up the animals in later games was also a mistake. having some huge eagle come out of nowhere and gently caress you up or murder one of your allies is something that should be a rare and shocking event, not something that happens every other time you round a corner. i know im repeating myself but if you fill a game world chock to the brim with "crazy random poo poo happening" everywhere you turn, it ceases to be either crazy or random.

fc2 had far less of what i'd call the "forced chaos" that they amped up in 4 and 5, and as a result it actually felt way more chaotic.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Earwicker posted:

yeah i loved that as well. because of things like that fc2 was really the last game in the series where i ever felt suspense or surprise while out exploring the open world. i enjoyed 3 and 4, especially the latter, but that feeling of true chaos and fear was completely gone.

i think ramping up the animals in later games was also a mistake. having some huge eagle come out of nowhere and gently caress you up or murder one of your allies is something that should be a rare and shocking event, not something that happens every other time you round a corner. i know im repeating myself but if you fill a game world chock to the brim with "crazy random poo poo happening" everywhere you turn, it ceases to be either crazy or random.

fc2 had far less of what i'd call the "forced chaos" that they amped up in 4 and 5, and as a result it actually felt way more chaotic.

FC2 didn't have any predators, which you don't really notice until you do, and then you can't not notice it. It's my favorite Far Cry game, and I miss all the little things it did right (like the map, the buddy system, the fire, and just the atmosphere of "war torn country that you're absolutely not helping") that the later games just dropped completely. The fire is still there, but nowhere near as good. I'm even one of those weirdos that doesn't mind the malaria. It throws a small wrench into the usual "kill all the guys with guns" situation, if only for a few seconds while you chomp down some pills. If you run out of pills, you get a mission to go to a place and kill all the guys with guns. If you don't want to go places and kill guys with guns, why are you playing a Far Cry game?

Less flippantly, I totally understand why people complain about the malaria and the checkpoints (personally, it's not the respawning that annoys me, but the related "chase you in a truck for-loving-ever" bullshit), and I know that 2 is not for everyone, but I still love it. I wish they'd bring back at least the diegetic map and the buddy system (that would have been a great fit for, I dunno, a group of friends who get trapped on an island, or a deputy sheriff, or anyone who gets involved with a group of rebels to destabilize the dominant force in the region).

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Far Cry 2 is one of the worst big-budget games by a big publisher, only made worse by the fact there's a subset of people that insist they really enjoyed that garbage.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Far Cry 2 is often not a fun game and I love that. There’s so much weird bullshit that just works for me. I love driving around having to keep an eye on the map, or scavenging diamonds, or having a battle get completely hosed to poo poo in the chaos. Just a great game even if it doesn’t always 100 percent work.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

starting a brushfire with the backblast from your RPG and having your retreat cut off by the inferno is something that hasnt been replicated since

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Bonus points if the inferno spreads to an ammo box and sets it off.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What does "chaos" even mean? All enemies always attacking you because the AI is very simplistic?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fame Douglas posted:

What does "chaos" even mean? All enemies always attacking you because the AI is very simplistic?

The RPG inferno is a perfect example. Your actions change the gunfights in ways that are often difficult to predict and your plan can suddenly go completely sideways because you did something dumb two minutes ago.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
FarCry 2 ruled, except when my last saves were with my advanced Malaria diagnosis and I die before I can find any medication forcing me to rage uninstall the game.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

beats for junkies posted:

The fire is still there, but nowhere near as good.

yea i dont know why they turned down the fire to like half in every game after 2. except primal, that one has decent fire

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

in my post i was using "chaos" to describe the feeling in these games of random poo poo happening that results in unpredictable situations. in fc2 this was limited to poo poo like guns jamming or getting jumped by mercenaries or fires you start going out of control.

in fc3 they added things like angry tigers that come running out of the jungle interrupting a firefight, in fc4 it was ramped up even more with eagles and rhinos and elephants etc. constantly attacking both the player and the enemy soldiers, and then in fc5 they just added so many more predators and enemy units that everywhere you go you are constantly seeing a fight between a bear an elk and two technicals and it no longer feels chaotic at all it just feels like the default world state

(also the forms of chaos have been narrowed to being just enemy based rather than player actions like "oh gently caress i accidentally lit the jungle on fire")

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 1, 2021

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Out of control fires, ammo crates cooking off, trees falling over, enemies panicking and hiding, the healing animations, getting downed and having a buddy pull you out, or seeing a buddy go down and having to save them before they perma-died, etc, etc.

There was just so much that could go wrong and so many smaller mechanics that conspired to make the action really cinematic and memorable, I really think the later games lost that magic.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/FarCrygame/status/1399468883413716993

well at least they are trying head off that conversation.

https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/article/43Uvc8MM55rAsvq8JgaVXU/accessibility-spotlight-far-cry-6

also the accesibility options are dope.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It's pretty clear that Ubisoft loves to trade in the imagery of modern-day geopolitics. Whether they choose to label their projects as political or non-political is irrelevant, because the real-world comparisons are always there. Sometimes it's accidentally interesting (Div1), but most of the time it's just a confused mess. Expecting a coherent narrative that makes any sort of definitive statement is like expecting Mario to say gently caress.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Remember when they tried to market FC5 as being some sort of statement on modern right wing militaristic jack offs like Bundy and the idiots who took over that wildlife refuge, mixed with the people who want to turn the US into a Christian theocracy? And it turned out to be the most generic poo poo paint-by-numbers cult imaginable with ultra-diverse membership AND the "good guys" were the loving gun nut peepers with one of the main groups being a loving militia group? Then turns out the cult guy was "right" the whole time?

At least when the Wolfenstein ads promised you'd be fighting a Nazi takeover of the world (including the US) and ran with the tag line "Make America Nazi-free Again!" we got a game where goddamn evil Nazis took over the world and it was your job to kill them because that's the right thing to do.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did they? I remember people assuming that was what it was going to be then getting mad that it wasn't.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Did they? I remember people assuming that was what it was going to be then getting mad that it wasn't.

Sorta. It was never gonna be about trumpists explicitly and waypoint and co got mad because they couldn’t scalp their chud uncle’s virtual avatar. BUT, they made them sound way more interesting and nuts then they ended up being. The issue I have is the cult and the bad guys kinda sucked in general and were written very scatter shot so you end up with like 3 different characters with barely any connective tissue. the other issue is the cult doesn't really have beliefs outside vague reactionary doomer cult that got lucky. like there is alot of weird canon and non canon bible poo poo you can pull from to make up a dumb philosophy for your death cult. but they don't.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 1, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Five was such bullshit. the whole "maybe YOU are the bad guy" twist just doesnt work when you have traversed a landscape of crucified and vivisected civilians, watched while the cult lights fleeing innocents on fire with flamethrowers etc etc

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

punishedkissinger posted:

Five was such bullshit. the whole "maybe YOU are the bad guy" twist just doesnt work when you have traversed a landscape of crucified and vivisected civilians, watched while the cult lights fleeing innocents on fire with flamethrowers etc etc

Yeah. For me, It was less that as a whole and more that it made the cult leaders too self aware. Like John the yes man clearly is a hosed up sadbrain who fell hard into his brothers hosed up cult and is a massive projection type. Dudes projecting the entire time until you kill him but his death speech is “ well maybe you’re the bad guy” type Serling poo poo. And that doesn’t fit his character. His entire character is the soft spoken rear end in a top hat who’s projects constantly and at the very end, the veneer cracks and he has a temper tantrum before a coup de grace. what sucks is there is interesting story stuff but its all in the background and such. like the fact that there have been like five different Faiths.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 1, 2021

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
I got the Easter egg ending in 5 because I was wrangling a cat off my desk during the arrest cut scene and missed the QuickTime event, I should have just stopped playing 5 at that point.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

kind of disappointed they're shifting to third person cutscenes for this one, i kinda liked the always first person gimmick from the rest of the series

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I remember FC3 as one of the first games to have intricate "immersive" first person animations for most actions (like for climbing ledges). Yeah, it's kinda been a staple of the series.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

punishedkissinger posted:

I KNOW RITE. Fuckin insulting at the end of it all. Also you got cult programmed in like 48 by the militia brother so if you hear this dumb song you'll trip balls.

I'm probably going to reinstall it one day. Montana was just so pretty. Whoever does environment for ubisoft really does try to make a pretty world in a bottle. I hear one of the DLCs is a comedy podcast performed by two of the voice actors.

These are all my disconnected thoughts about FC5. Now I'm gonna call my dealer and ask if he has any more Bliss.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The last 3 FC games have all taught me that the shorter entr'acte retreads always end up being superior so I'll be looking forward to Far Cry Dino Damage in late 2022.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

“Have you ever thought that in killing those men with flamethrowers before they barbecued a kid that you... are also violent?” I ask the protagonist as I take a blowtorch to his nads

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

exquisite tea posted:

Far Cry Dino Damage in late 2022.

If we're good in the eyes of the gods, Forbidden West comes out this year!

spider bethlehem
Oct 5, 2007
Makin with the stabbins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx4eSkMBx-U I really enjoyed this video on Far Cry 2, which goes through everything with a... perhaps overgenerous... eye, but that also covers the stuff I remember hating.

I tried to play Far Cry 2 earlier this year when it was 1.99 and discovered that without manually setting the frame rate my (not particularly powerful) computer will outrun the flagging for the intro missions and the game becomes unplayable. Far'd right in the Cries.

I remember really liking Instincts too back on original xbox, but even now I remember some of the bullet sponge bullshit in that game

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

that video led me to this one and i might just be nostalgic but the little stuff sure does add up in my mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCeEvQ68jY8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

FarCry V is my favorite FarCry, because Eden’s Gate is close enough to the trash-fire millenarian protestant bullshit that I was saturated in from my childhood that I can just mentally elide all the surface flaws with this and rock out with my cock out all up and down lovely country rods until my truck gets too hosed up, then hipfire an MG42 dry while screaming at my monitor.

It’s pretty cathartic, and I’ll always love it for that.