Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Drone posted:

I've never actually played anything OSR on a VTT, but isn't there kinda... not really much that you need to get a module set up? Pawns for monsters I guess, maybe some maps if you wanna get fancy, but most OSR maps are just gonna be pencil-and-graph-paper stuff anyway that's easy enough to quickly replicate on a VTT.

I think drawing tools on VTTs are simply That Bad. If the players map there's too much friction (lack of desire, lack of skill, trying to explain tools verbally, inability to point well, players can't create or switch maps, also need maps to be in handouts if you want the players to be able to view like L2 while they are in L1, etc), and if the DM maps it's simpler but still kinda slow and flow-killing. Revealing a scanned map is easiest, but that has problems like secret doors or 3D elements, and imho a general feeling of lameness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

SlimGoodbody posted:

Now that's unexpected and interesting, I'd love to hear any thoughts you have developed about it
A truly enormous amount of premade roll20 maps, because a lot of the Ynn locations are well serviced by Czepeku maps which I've been subbed to for a while. This does involve adding terrain pieces that generally weren't in the default location description just to keep combat interesting, things like elevation changes and movement blockers. Then I have an empty map that just has each of the Ynnic encounter monsters to copy and paste as they're rolled. I found rough level 6-12 equivalents for all of them in 4e to reskin. Like the ambulatory desert is an azure jelly using nemleria yugioh card art. From there it's just a case of having the person guiding the group roll the location die, and other random party members the encounter and event dice. Though due to the relative speed of 4e vs OSR, I tend to only have one encounter per location even if the timing rules would dictate more.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

mellonbread posted:

Two questions for the group, based on a discussion in the Industry Thread
  1. Do you play OSR for the rules (my chosen game system is good) or for the modules (my chosen game system is a gateway to a vast library of content)
  2. Do you play more classic dungeons (basic, 1e, 2e, etc) or contemporary ones?

1) It's complicated! For me, the draw is more in the GMing style than the specific system or module, but the systems and modules are also both good. A lot of the OSR stuff I play in ends up being in the GM's personal homebrew hack, but maybe that's the most OSR system of all. I like all the modules I've played and read a lot, but again a lot of what I've played in tends to be stuff like the GM's personal megadungeon.

2) Both, maybe! Recently it's been more contemporary, and I think a lot of the contemporary stuff has been especially strong, but the classics are still generally great.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Modules, I guess. I don't find the old rules, or variation on them, particularly good. I wish they were more fun to interact with, were informed by the setting and informed play more in return; something like what Apocalypse World does (but no, I'm not interested in games trying to fit that rule system onto OSR sensibilities). DCC has some fun stuff in it, but also a bunch of non-fun semi-inscrutable stuff.

Contemporary-ish.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Crossposting from the miniatures painting thread.

I finished the Reaper Henchmen and Hirelings box, just in time for today's DCC game to be cancelled and the group effectively disbanded. But I bought this set primarily because I thought it would be fun to paint, and I was right.

The Muscle

Ranged Combat

Lighting

Baggage Handlers

I think this set is great for d20 retrofantasy because the characters are doing things that reflect the typical play experience. Arguing over the map, carefully searching for traps, overloading themselves with loot while the fighters stand at attention, waiting for these nerds to fix their poo poo so they can find something to kill. Nobody is waving their sword theatrically in the air while shouting, everyone has items for dungeon survival dangling off their belts and baldrics. It's very grounded but still whimsical thanks to figures like the chubby valkyrie and the dude with the giant bag.

Reaper has more henchmen who didn't make it into the big box (including goblins and halflings) and those will likely be my next purchase.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

I love those and have immediately purchased a box. What evocative little figs.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

mellonbread posted:

Crossposting from the miniatures painting thread.

slick

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have an opportunity to introduce entirely new players into "Dungeons and Dragons" and I'm tying to decide on a system; I'd like something with faster character gen, smaller numbers, and faster combat than 5th edition, but the various OSRs all have something that makes me hesitant to introduce them as someone's first game - racial classes, linear fighters, non standard dice I don't want to purchase in bulk for the game.

I really wish Dolmenwood was out.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Jack B Nimble posted:

I think they might have pre-orders available on the BackerKit which should give you a preview copy.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jack B Nimble posted:

I have an opportunity to introduce entirely new players into "Dungeons and Dragons" and I'm tying to decide on a system; I'd like something with faster character gen, smaller numbers, and faster combat than 5th edition, but the various OSRs all have something that makes me hesitant to introduce them as someone's first game - racial classes, linear fighters, non standard dice I don't want to purchase in bulk for the game.

13th age is fun.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Jack B Nimble posted:

Cairn is free and matches what you're describing pretty dead-on: https://yochaigal.itch.io/cairn

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

sebmojo posted:

13th age is fun.

From the SRD

"13th Age also eschews grid- and numerical-distance-based mechanics in favor of simplified range mechanics. Two characters are either:

“Engaged” – In direct melee combat

“Nearby” – Within one move away

“Far-away” – More than one move away"

How does this work in practice? My first thought is this weird Schrodingers battle paradox in 6 dimensions, everybody somehow engaged, nearby, far-away and intercepted all at once.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

In practice it is clear, i used to draw sketch maps. I don't remember that confusion ever coming up in... Four? Years of running eyes of the stone thief.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

sebmojo posted:

In practice it is clear, i used to draw sketch maps. I don't remember that confusion ever coming up in... Four? Years of running eyes of the stone thief.

Do you end up having to make many calls as the GM about how many entities end up engaged?

I'm having a hard time thinking past my experiences with combats with a large number of entities, and even more so them being combats in confined spaces, multiple skirmishes at once.

I really do like the visual element of a good map and minis, but I do appreciate the goal they are going for.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

snail posted:

Do you end up having to make many calls as the GM about how many entities end up engaged?

I'm having a hard time thinking past my experiences with combats with a large number of entities, and even more so them being combats in confined spaces, multiple skirmishes at once.

I really do like the visual element of a good map and minis, but I do appreciate the goal they are going for.

It's been a while, but yeah i don't remember thinking 'this needs to be more detailed' even once. It's fairly bread and butter dm stuff, as long as you have a rough mental model of where everyone is (which you should have!) and share that along with any changes, or do a quick sketch map, it works out fine.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

snail posted:

From the SRD

"13th Age also eschews grid- and numerical-distance-based mechanics in favor of simplified range mechanics. Two characters are either:

“Engaged” – In direct melee combat

“Nearby” – Within one move away

“Far-away” – More than one move away"

How does this work in practice? My first thought is this weird Schrodingers battle paradox in 6 dimensions, everybody somehow engaged, nearby, far-away and intercepted all at once.

If you want to still use minis, you can make a simple “map” out of three circles. Characters in the center circle are engaged, middle circle are nearby and outer circle are far-away. You can still position models in relation to one another and you can even place or draw terrain in the circles for extra flavor or clarity.

If a goblin moves up to the wizard to stab them, move both models to the center ring since they are engaged. If the wizard then moves away on their turn, move them to the center ring. I dunno, it works pretty simply in practice even though it might sound like a mess on paper.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I spent a good part of my morning working on Isle of Dread for 5th edition. This shits deadly! I do t know if this translates to level 4 to 7.

I'm super proud that I figured out how to make the overland map discoverable as the characters move and then it leaves the image. Took me a while in roll20

If anyone is wondering I'm using a fifth edition conversion found on Dmsguild.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Pvt.Scott posted:

If you want to still use minis, you can make a simple “map” out of three circles. Characters in the center circle are engaged, middle circle are nearby and outer circle are far-away. You can still position models in relation to one another and you can even place or draw terrain in the circles for extra flavor or clarity.

If a goblin moves up to the wizard to stab them, move both models to the center ring since they are engaged. If the wizard then moves away on their turn, move them to the center ring. I dunno, it works pretty simply in practice even though it might sound like a mess on paper.

I think the conceptual complications arise when the fighter is engaged with the bugbear but not the goblin that snuck up to the wizard-- are there multiple center rings to represent different close engagements?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

A Strange Aeon posted:

I think the conceptual complications arise when the fighter is engaged with the bugbear but not the goblin that snuck up to the wizard-- are there multiple center rings to represent different close engagements?

Nah I’d just put em in a slightly different part of the circle to keep them apart mentally. As far as I know, engaged is engaged in that system. At that point the fighter should easily be able to maneuver to intercept, if they wanted. It does get wonky if you have guys from long range closing in on each other and specifically meeting somewhere where nobody else is engaged, but I guess then yeah you would just stick the minis together and remember that they’re engaged “over there”.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Jack B Nimble posted:

::dashes late and panting into thread:: Sword World 2.5! Simple rules, d6 only, chargen is pretty quick, nice span of races, classes are mix-n-match to help you create your Unique Butterfly PC, cool feat system, combat has three modes from simple frontline-backline shenanigans to full grid. Has an OSR-like feel without actually being D&D-adjacent.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mirage posted:

::dashes late and panting into thread:: Sword World 2.5! Simple rules, d6 only, chargen is pretty quick, nice span of races, classes are mix-n-match to help you create your Unique Butterfly PC, cool feat system, combat has three modes from simple frontline-backline shenanigans to full grid. Has an OSR-like feel without actually being D&D-adjacent.

Thanks! I'll check that out, I've got a couple weeks before our first session.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Eh I figured it out.

Adapting this to fifth is going to be undertaking for Isle of Dread although making new entries in Roll20 is pretty fast.

So like should I be adjusting the gold to 10% ? Because seriously its a shitload of gold.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 6, 2024

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Mirage posted:

I'm loving this decision tree:
pre:
I want to Fight in the Vanguard
    * I don't want Magic
        - One-hit Kills with a Sword
            + Human Warrior
        - I want to master the Martial Arts
            + Lykant Boxer
    * I want to use Magic too
        - Nightmare Magic Warrior

I want to fight and Support my Allies
    * I want to be a Shield for my Allies
        - Dwarf Paladin
    * I want to take it Easy
        - Elf Priest Swordman

I want to Attack from the Rearguard
    * I want to Attack with Magic
        - Tabbit Magician
    * I want to shoot a Gun
        - Runefolk Gunner
(reformatting & emphasis mine, especially for the sample character names I especially liked and double-emphasized.)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can anyone recommend a supplement (or a free web article or post would be fine obviously!) with actual, concrete rules and numbers for what to do with all of the money an OSE party gets?

Like, I get it, retainers and transports and domain play and and research and armies, I get it. But I need more than a hand wavey suggestion; how much does this stuff all cost?

I know the actual OSE rules has numbers for buildings and mercenaries (and food and provisions), but it'll require me to math up some examples.before I get my head around it I'd really appreciate some handy charts, examples, and concrete answers.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Lamentations of the Flame Princess iirc has a whole section on the costs to purchase and maintain residences, hire relevant staff and retainers (and what those staff and retainers are and do), pay taxes, purchase and maintain sailing vessels, and so on. Could be useful.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

There's a good chunk of Into the Cess and Citadel that's about establishing and upgrading a hideout for your players, that's a great money sink that actually gives them something to point to.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I think ACKS has good campaign stuff, maybe you can borrow books from a friend.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I’ve been running a pbp on discord, beginner dm and beginner players (i think a few have tabletop experience but no one is familiar with osr). Took us nearly two months but we made it through the Barrow of the Elf King (https://natetreme.itch.io/botek), using OSE. I’ve learned some things and I’ve been slowly introducing new rules and concepts to the players. The biggest thing I’ve done to speed up the game is just one initiative roll at the start of combat, along with telling the PCs what the enemy AC and HP is so they aren’t waiting on me to post in between PC actions

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Speaking of pbp on discord. I'm a member of a months long BFRPG pbp on discord. We're down a player or two and I was wondering if anyone here wants to play with us. We're a good group of people.

It's a bit more active than typical pbp groups, but if you don't mind popping in daily, we'd love to have ya. Our DM is big into Castlevania so it's heavily inspired by that, thematically. We just started a cross-continent fetch quest so there's plenty of ways for new characters to "stumble" into our group.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Total Party Kill posted:

Speaking of pbp on discord. I'm a member of a months long BFRPG pbp on discord. We're down a player or two and I was wondering if anyone here wants to play with us. We're a good group of people.

It's a bit more active than typical pbp groups, but if you don't mind popping in daily, we'd love to have ya. Our DM is big into Castlevania so it's heavily inspired by that, thematically. We just started a cross-continent fetch quest so there's plenty of ways for new characters to "stumble" into our group.

I've never done PBP but I'm keen. I am on the Australian east coast so I could be very out of sync time wise and have no idea if that'd have an effect. But daily play would not be a problem at all.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

snail posted:

I've never done PBP but I'm keen. I am on the Australian east coast so I could be very out of sync time wise and have no idea if that'd have an effect. But daily play would not be a problem at all.

Sent you a message.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've started watching this AD&D 2nd edition campaign, and they're using optional rules where classes gain xp for accomplishing specific tasks, like killing monsters as warriors or casting spells as mages. Does anyone know what book that's from?

Shout out to the channel too; these videos are years old with sub 10k view counts but I'm five episodes in and it seems like a real gem.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Total Party Kill posted:

Snail, TPK, if you aren't able to make it work (or if another spot opens up in the future), I'd love to hop in. For that I've followed the OSR, gotten books, and posted in here, I've only ever played in one OSR game and it was a fuckin terrible LotFP game run by a total dickhead.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Total Party Kill posted:

I'm tentatively interested in this as well. I have time at the moment, though I haven't played BFRPG before. I doubt that would be a problem though, having played and run a bunch of similar things (last game I ran was straight out of Moldvay/Cook, at least one player also used B/X Essentials/OSE as their player reference).

Re: Discord, is this primarily voice chat, video, or text? That part would be new to me.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I’ve been running a Dungeon Crawl Classics PBP game via Discord for over a year now. It’s a great platform for it. Fully text based, fully asynchronous. The game isn’t open now but next time I recruit I’ll post here

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Jack B Nimble posted:

they're using optional rules where classes gain xp for accomplishing specific tasks, like killing monsters as warriors or casting spells as mages. Does anyone know what book that's from?

The only time I've ever seen that was in a Dark Sun game but I am almost certainly misremembering.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've started watching this AD&D 2nd edition campaign, and they're using optional rules where classes gain xp for accomplishing specific tasks, like killing monsters as warriors or casting spells as mages. Does anyone know what book that's from?

It's in the 2e DMG.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks! I was looking through PDFs of Combat and Tactics when I should have:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I’ve got 5 players, could take one more. It’s fairly casual, a couple are a bit joking with it but not enough to derail gameplay. Just looking for at least a post a day. https://discord.gg/phrWDFfG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Total Party Kill posted:

I'd be interested, though I've never done BFRPG before.