Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

ZombieLenin posted:

I always belt ratted wrong (and I know I did), because I would rarely chain. I just wanted to blow everything up in an effort to force a faction spawn.

Do those still exists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dalael posted:

Do those still exists?

Yes.

And I hated people who blew chains. Especially the assholes who came in after people had groomed a system for a few hours and had nothing but triple BS spawns.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

With supers there is no such thing as a ratting fit unless you can afford to immediately replace it and guarantee that you’ll make it all back by dedicating 60 hours of perfect ticks

Like I said I make 85mil per tick in a capswarm tank fit Hel, I’ve been told that a hyperspacial rigged max gank fit Hel makes 130mil ticks if you’re aligning to your next site and the only super in a -0.7 or lower system

Rutibex posted:

I did belt ratting in a Dominix for like a month when I resubbed. I made upwards of tens of millions of isk per hour. One time I found a hauler rat spawn and I spent the rest of the day hauling 50m worth of tritanium in an Iteron V.

Its reading posts like this that make me rethink my plans to upgrade from Myrmidon semi-AFK ratting to capital ratting. Because they make me ask myself how much my attention paid to the game is really worth. I could make money by sheparding fighters around or whatever, or I could watch Game of Thrones and only pay attention when TACO chirps at me.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Warmachine posted:

Its reading posts like this that make me rethink my plans to upgrade from Myrmidon semi-AFK ratting to capital ratting. Because they make me ask myself how much my attention paid to the game is really worth. I could make money by sheparding fighters around or whatever, or I could watch Game of Thrones and only pay attention when TACO chirps at me.

why in god's name are you ratting in a myrmidon anytime after 2007

like, i used to rat in a myrm. back in 2007, and then they nerfed it.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Dalael posted:

Do those still exists?

They must because I trade in faction items, and they would be much more expensive if they did not drop from faction spawns.

CainFortea posted:

Yes.

And I hated people who blew chains. Especially the assholes who came in after people had groomed a system for a few hours and had nothing but triple BS spawns.

I mean yes, thats a dick move. I would always find a system with nobody in it to rat in just for this reason.

Warmachine posted:

If you want to do semi-afk ratting, why would you use a Myrmidon over a VNI?

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 31, 2019

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

Some people are just contrary and will do the thing they were advised is a waste of time even if shown the math as to why it's a waste of time.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

evilweasel posted:

why in god's name are you ratting in a myrmidon anytime after 2007

like, i used to rat in a myrm. back in 2007, and then they nerfed it.

we actually recommend it in the ratting thread on goonfleet dot com as a destitute newbie option, because with insurance you pay it back in like 2 ticks max

also it can fit a micro jump drive, which makes it a little more slippery than a VNI

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

CainFortea posted:

Some people are just contrary and will do the thing they were advised is a waste of time even if shown the math as to why it's a waste of time.

A friend of mine is this way, about everything. Will disregard any advice from anyone regarding anything. He once started playing EVE and asked me for help. He showed me a few fits and every single time, I would say, "Try it, see if it works but add either a warp scrambler or warp disruptor." Every single time he would show me a fit, guess what was missing on it? After a while I told him to gently caress off and that he was on his own. When he asked if I would help him join, I laughed and straight up said no. Not going to waste my time on a guy who gets kicked within a week because he refuses to follow any & all instructions.

CainFortea posted:

Yes.

And is this still the way to get them? I don't think I've done any sort of belt ratting since FA was living in Fountain with Test back in 2011-2012 i think?

oneman4193
Jun 3, 2006
I am not Karl Marx
Banned from goonwaffe again, you would think they would give me a reason cause it couldn't be for calling out karma fleets director.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
never not chain belt rats in a torp raven

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

oneman4193 posted:

Banned from goonwaffe again, you would think they would give me a reason cause it couldn't be for calling out karma fleets director.

calling him out for what?

awox
Aug 21, 2015
luv2club

oneman4193 posted:

tell us more :allears:

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

oneman4193 posted:

Go on.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

oneman4193 posted:

awox posted:

tell us more :allears:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

oneman4193 posted:

again, you say

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

oneman4193 posted:

Hi friend, if you were banned from goonwaffe it most likely has nothing to do with calling out a karmafleet director. Unless it was a very idiotic public callout in which it was clear that you are in the wrong, and were an unrepenting rear end in a top hat about it.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Dalael posted:

Hi friend, if you were banned from goonwaffe it most likely has nothing to do with calling out a karmafleet director. Unless it was a very idiotic public callout in which it was clear that you are in the wrong, and were an unrepenting rear end in a top hat about it.

Shhh, I just made popcorn. Don't ruin this for me.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dalael posted:

And is this still the way to get them? I don't think I've done any sort of belt ratting since FA was living in Fountain with Test back in 2011-2012 i think?

You don't groom belts for faction spawns. You just murder them as fast as you can.

I'm still butt hurt about them nerfing torps the loving day I trained t2 torps.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CainFortea posted:

Nice shot at ironic posting. Your mother must be proud.

ZombieLenin posted:

It's piss cheap. That's the end of it. I'll probably switch to a VNI shortly, since they're cheaper than I thought they'd be. But it boils down to not having to give a drat if I die.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
you're also pretty likely to just afk kill any solo or duo roamers if they try to jump you

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

oneman4193 posted:

:allears:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Can someone please explain to me, using small words and pictures if necessary, how to use a Rorqual to mine?

I see references to cynos and mobile depots and whatnot but I don’t think I have it all down:

- I use a cyno to jump my rorq into an empty system

- I warp to an asteroid belt
(But now there are new kinds of belts that respawn immediately? Or are anomaly belts? Or something?)

- I post up and launch my super mining drones and start eating A/B/C rocks
(What do I do with the ore? I compress it and store it in my hold? Do I need another hauler alt to ferry back and forth to a station?)

- I read that I’m supposed to have a cyno active. How do I launch a cyno from my rorq if I’m immobile once I deploy it? Don’t cynos show up on the star map so I’m advertising my position? Do I use alts to launch it when necessary?

- there are now hostiles in local. Is this when I use my mobile depot to switch to defensive fitting?

- I was remiss in not jumping out of system when locals appeared and now I’m under attack. I’ve hit the PANIC button and am now invulnerable for seven minutes. Is this when I start hollering in comms for help and do people actually come when I call? ( I’ve lost two hulks after ridiculously drawn out combats after calling in comms for ten minutes and no one showed.)

- say no one actually bothers me and i fill my hold/hauler/jetcan with ore. What do I do with it then? Do I jump my rorq to a POS and do my refining and selling there?

I’m trying to figure out if this is a play style I want to do before investing real world time and money to train my main and purchase isk for this new era of mining ...

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Agrikk posted:

Can someone please explain to me, using small words and pictures if necessary, how to use a Rorqual to mine?

I’m trying to figure out if this is a play style I want to do before investing real world time and money to train my main and purchase isk for this new era of mining ...

/effortpost
Ideally you jump into a system under the supercapital unbrella, you activate your industrial core and start mining. Ideally you are supposed to have at minimum a decent tank, a cyno, and invul generator, and enough fuel/charges to keep it running until help can arrive, you are IN comms and paying attention (intel ingame, mumble and pidgin), and enough functioning braincells to make it all happen.

If you are caught mining in a rorqual without first clearing out all the mercox and poo poo rocks and it gets reported, a not-so-friendly supercapital fleet will land on you and kill you for perceived cherry-picking.

If you aren't in industrial core mode, and intel says there are hostiles in route to your position, your best bet is to recall your drones and GTFO or hide. If hostiles are already in local and you are still in the belt you may have screwed up.

If the enemy or enemy spies know you are in a rorqual somewhere, they will make more than one attempt at you and will keep coming back for you until they get bored and leave, or they find better targets, in any case they will come back for you.

Things of note:
Don't mine in a rorqual or anything shiney while there's a major strat op out, there will be no one to help you and hostiles will go after anything that moves.
There are specific comms you should ask about getting help in, being polite might help you, maybe they'll just point and laugh at you because no one is in any position to help you.
You're gonna die sooner or later or get your drones stolen from you, try to minimize lose and maximize your survivability.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 1, 2019

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

If you break the ochre rule, I blow you up.

It's pretty simple, really.

Alan Demarest
Feb 14, 2011
*grabs titan*

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Wibla posted:

hi wibla

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Wibla posted:

Også hej fra mig

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Wibla posted:

1-800-SHOOT-BLUES

You can read effort posts all you want, best thing to do is get on comms (you should be doing this anyway) and chat with people about it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

CainFortea posted:

You can read effort posts all you want, best thing to do is get on comms (you should be doing this anyway) and chat with people about it.

Preferably you join a Theta channel late at night, drink heavily, and slur. This seems to be the current hot option.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

call your anoms in local

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Hexel posted:

call your anoms in local

Better yet, in Alliance

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Hexel posted:

call your anoms in local

If you get tackled, switch to intel and call for backup

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

ask questions in corp chat

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DrDork posted:

Preferably you join a Theta channel late at night, drink heavily, and slur. This seems to be the current hot option.

If you're gonna get high or drunk, then just remember to shut up after asking your question.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Wibla posted:

What is the ochre rule?

Also: So stripping ABC is bad manners, I get it. Do people just start at one end of the belt and slurp up everything? What ore can be left behind in a belt before the belt is considered drained?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Agrikk posted:

What is the ochre rule?

Also: So stripping ABC is bad manners, I get it. Do people just start at one end of the belt and slurp up everything? What ore can be left behind in a belt before the belt is considered drained?

Nothing. Leaving ore in a belt causes it to not despawn.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Agrikk posted:

What is the ochre rule?

orange juche posted:

Nothing. Leaving ore in a belt causes it to not despawn.

Actually there are some constellations that are under a special rule where Ochre needs to be mined first. No one is allowed to mine anything else until the Ochre is all gone.
Something along those lines anyway.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Agrikk posted:

What is the ochre rule?

If the belt isn't mined out completely, it takes up to 96 hours for it to despawn. This includes the Dark Ochre, which is utter trash, as well as Mercoxit, which can't be mined by rorquals at all. Hence, the Ochre Rule -- in the so-ruled constellations, you must mine the Dark Ochre to completion before touching any other non-Mercoxit ore.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Why ochre?

Isn't it way more valuable than veld/pyr/plag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Agrikk posted:

Why ochre?

Isn't it way more valuable than veld/pyr/plag?

None of those spawn in a nullsec mining anomaly. It's only spod, ochre, ark, bist, crok, gneiss, and mercoxit. Of those, ochre is by far the worst. Hell, even if there were other ores in the site, it's still the second worst ore in the game, outvaluing only omber.