Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

nessin posted:

Discworld question. I've only read the Rincewind and Death books and I decided to finally read more of the series so I picked up the Night Watch series. Liked the first book but really was kind of meh on the second, and I think a large part of that was I don't like Carrot (just too much of a normal book hero for Discworld) and he definitely took over as the main character in the second book. The third book looks like that continues and I'm wondering how true that is? Not sure I want to continue on in that case.

Yeah, Feet of Clay pretty much explores everything Pratchett wanted to do with Carrot and even during that book Vimes becomes the focus of the Watch series again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Black Griffon posted:

One of the best books ever written, which I will continue to point out.

Very yes. Fuckin brilliant story, butchered by several attempts at movie adaptations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Carrot stays a major character but he gets a bit more meta in the later books. Vimes starts being the protagonist again along about Jingo or Fifth Elephant.

Men at Arms is Carrot's book for a reason. Feet of Clay returns to an even split between him and Vimes, then after that Carrot becomes one of the side characters.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

Black Griffon posted:

One of the best books ever written, which I will continue to point out. Dunno anything about the other two.

All 3 are quite good. The Forever War is easily the best military science fiction novel I've read, and one of my favorite books in general. It's basically space opera Vietnam, written by a Vietnam War veteran. There is plenty of power armor, but no glory. There is also a healthy dose of time dilation and future shock.

I recently read and quite liked The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August. Harry August lives his life, dies, and gets to do the whole thing over again in a sort of lifelong Groundhog's Day. On top of that he has perfect recall. His first few lives are a total shitshow as he tries to make sense of what is happening. Most of his lives are shitshows, actually. What good is knowing who will win every horse race for the next 60 years when you're a dirt poor 4 year old in the 1920s? Let on that you know too much about the future, and you could wind up in a madhouse, or much, much worse.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The Forever War was pretty good, but just do yourself a favor and pretend the sequels don't exist.

I wasn't a fan of how it ended, but since I liked a solid 85-90% of the book, I'm ok with that.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Picked up Forever War, gonna ignore the sequels.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
So I was stumped at how I was gonna read something good at work today since I only have an MP3 player that takes txt files. I asked General Battuta if he could help with txt files of his books (I own them on kindle, or well, my PC), but he wasn't able...

But then I remembered I had a Kindle Fire someone gave me. So I dug it out, got it charged and had a fantastic time at work with The Traitor Baru. It's such a great book, it's a shame I only got in about thirty pages (busy work day). So thanks again, General!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

No. No more dancing! posted:

I recently read and quite liked The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August. Harry August lives his life, dies, and gets to do the whole thing over again in a sort of lifelong Groundhog's Day. On top of that he has perfect recall. His first few lives are a total shitshow as he tries to make sense of what is happening. Most of his lives are shitshows, actually. What good is knowing who will win every horse race for the next 60 years when you're a dirt poor 4 year old in the 1920s? Let on that you know too much about the future, and you could wind up in a madhouse, or much, much worse.

Yeah this book is a great fun sort-of time travel story, definitely worth three bucks.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The Forever War was pretty good, but just do yourself a favor and pretend the sequels don't exist.

Oh thanks for this, I forgot to include that disclaimer. The Forever War is great, the sequels were written over 20 years later, and are not.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright, I'm back again, and hopefully this time I can avoid confusion over what sort of stuff I'm looking for!

I'm looking for more space opera this time around (loved mass effect), but also, again, looking for queer lit, namely wlw stuff.

So in other words, lesbian space opera.

Recs appreciated!

iospace fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 7, 2020

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kchama posted:

So I was stumped at how I was gonna read something good at work today since I only have an MP3 player that takes txt files. I asked General Battuta if he could help with txt files of his books (I own them on kindle, or well, my PC), but he wasn't able...

But then I remembered I had a Kindle Fire someone gave me. So I dug it out, got it charged and had a fantastic time at work with The Traitor Baru. It's such a great book, it's a shame I only got in about thirty pages (busy work day). So thanks again, General!

You've already found a better solution, but for future reference, Calibre will convert other ebook formats to plaintext. The formatting is likely to get kind of mangled, though.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

iospace posted:

Alright, I'm back again, and hopefully this time I can avoid confusion over what sort of stuff I'm looking for!

I'm looking for more space opera this time around (loved mass effect), but also, again, looking for queer lit, namely wlw stuff.

Recs appreciated!

Unconquerable Sun isn't exactly centered on queer relationships, but there's definitely some wlw throughout and a lot of the main characters are queer. It's billed as gender-bent Alexander the Great in space and is very good imo.

On that note, what should I read next from Kate Elliot after Unconquerable Sun? It looks like a lot of her trilogies are all kind of similarly reviewed, and it's kinda hard to figure out which to follow up with. Which ones have y'all liked?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

foutre posted:

Unconquerable Sun isn't exactly centered on queer relationships, but there's definitely some wlw throughout and a lot of the main characters are queer. It's billed as gender-bent Alexander the Great in space and is very good imo.

On that note, what should I read next from Kate Elliot after Unconquerable Sun? It looks like a lot of her trilogies are all kind of similarly reviewed, and it's kinda hard to figure out which to follow up with. Which ones have y'all liked?

Sold!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

iospace posted:

Recs appreciated!

Gideon the Ninth is weird, queer, space necromancer, murder mystery, haunted mansion wlw stuff.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

Gideon the Ninth is weird, queer, space necromancer, murder mystery, haunted mansion wlw stuff.

and, in terms of other big books from the last year or two, Memory Called Empire

this thread came up when i was searching and includes basically all the examples i can think of

https://twitter.com/Idzie/status/1150455326921109510

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

You've already found a better solution, but for future reference, Calibre will convert other ebook formats to plaintext. The formatting is likely to get kind of mangled, though.

No kidding? That's actually fantastic to know. Thanks!

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I wasn't a fan of how it ended, but since I liked a solid 85-90% of the book, I'm ok with that.

I didn't mind forever peace, the second one.

The third one though, stay clear

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

eke out posted:

and, in terms of other big books from the last year or two, Memory Called Empire

this thread came up when i was searching and includes basically all the examples i can think of

https://twitter.com/Idzie/status/1150455326921109510

I will point out that Light Brigade is very very good but is also very very violent. It's not what I would recommend to anyone with any kind of post traumatic stress.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
I finished "The Tyrant Baru Cormorant: Tau Ownage Factory" in two days and really liked it a lot, worth buying even with my country's ruinous exchange rate.

I loved that the permanent storm is going to be explored next, what a neat idea.

Now Baru has a Dutch East India Company analog under her control, the sky is the limit for the brutality of possible consequences for everybody.

I suggest everyone who is curious about the stakes for the fourth book to read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_Nations_Fail.

Also, I appreciate the endword, General and hope the books get the attention they clearly deserve.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

branedotorg posted:

I didn't mind forever peace, the second one.

The third one though, stay clear

Forever Peace is unrelated to The Forever War (and in examination Peace is basically a rehash of War with a Dan Brown thriller b-plot). Forever Free is the sequel to The Forever War.

darnon fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 7, 2020

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Grimwall posted:

I finished "The Tyrant Baru Cormorant: Tau Ownage Factory" in two days and really liked it a lot, worth buying even with my country's ruinous exchange rate.

Also, I appreciate the endword, General and hope the books get the attention they clearly deserve.

I'm reading the first one of these now - The Traitor Baru Cormorant - because of all the recommendations I've seen. Avoiding spoilers for the rest of the trilogy has been tough since it seems like I'm the last goon on the forums to pick it up. But I'm enjoying it.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Avoiding spoilers for the rest of the trilogy has been tough since it seems like I'm the last goon on the forums to pick it up.

I started reading the first one last night too. Also very much spoiler free so far, and at about 100 pages in, really enjoying it.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Foundryside (Founders #1) by Robert Jackson Bennett - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077RG422Z/

American Elsewhere by Robert Jackson Bennett - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008AS84PM/

Raising Steam (Discworld #40) by Terry Pratchett
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FIN0TGY/

Lord Foul's Bane (Thomas Covenant #1) by Stephen R Donaldson - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WKEM9Q/

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

iospace posted:

Recs appreciated!

Seconding the Memory Called Empire recommendation- it’s just such a good book.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

pradmer posted:

Foundryside (Founders #1) by Robert Jackson Bennett - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077RG422Z/
How does this compare to his other stuff? Loved Divine Cities, was kinda meh on The Company Man - thought that was a decent novella buried under a landslide of description.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I'm reading the first one of these now - The Traitor Baru Cormorant - because of all the recommendations I've seen. Avoiding spoilers for the rest of the trilogy has been tough since it seems like I'm the last goon on the forums to pick it up. But I'm enjoying it.

This may in some ways be the best time to start the series. You'll be able to go all the way through to the third book, which ends at a very satisfying stopping point.

anilEhilated posted:

How does this compare to his other stuff? Loved Divine Cities, was kinda meh on The Company Man - thought that was a decent novella buried under a landslide of description.

I liked it a bit less than Divine Cities, but still liked it a lot. I think the second Foundryside book is less good, but the first one is quite good and is basically standalone.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I just started too! Wanting to save it as something to read at work is the worst idea for me so I might just end up finishing it today on my off-day.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

anilEhilated posted:

I read it his The Company Man a bit ago. It’s got some really weird editing mistakes that, given it’s a mystery, really took me off track. Like in the course of one page a character jumps from first person to second to and back a couple times. It ended up being of no consequence at all, and it seems like the sort of thing even a cursory read through would find. Hopefully Foundryside is better edited, the story was actually fine.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

iospace posted:

Recs appreciated!
I enjoyed Max Gladstone’s Empress of Forever a lot, and I think the thread was generally positive about it as well(?).

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Empress of Forever was okay but I felt like it overstayed its welcome.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The Hark! A Vagrant comic 'Oooh, Mister Darcy' comic but it's about Tain Hu.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 8, 2020

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Another "lesbians in space" entry: Sisters of the Vast Black. Mostly about an order of Catholic nuns in a living starship, and dealing with guilt over past crimes; but the B plot is a romance between two women.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

iospace posted:

Recs appreciated!

I wouldn't call it space opera but Tillie Walden's graphic novel On A Sunbeam is certainly science fiction in space - every character in this universe is apparently female (which raises the question of how one character can be NB but whatever) and hence all the romantic relationships are too, the key one being between two girls at Space Boarding School. And it's still free online:

https://www.onasunbeam.com/

It was one of those things I rather admired and would recommend to people who might like it, despite it being 100% not my cup of tea.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

SFL Archives Vol 11 readthrough update 01 (reposted from the off-site blog that is now up and fully functional)

Current status: 10% completion, 21 bookmarks on SFL Archives Volume 11 readthrough

8 items of interest.

https://nothing2seeherepleasedisperse.blogspot.com/2020/09/sfl-archives-vol-11-readthrough-update.html

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 1, 2020

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

quantumfoam, have you posted a link to your blog? I'd like to follow it.

quantumfoam posted:

-Sexual slant chat lead to SFLers commenting on Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern books, with how most of the dragon-riders seem to be forced into being bisexual by mental-links with their dragons. Lots and lots of Pern chat, with "impress" being mentioned a whole lot. Having never read any of the Pern books, guessing "impress" is a Pern universe stand-in word for non-consent.

Good news, it just means the dragon imprinting on the human when it hatches.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

quantumfoam posted:

-Sexual slant chat lead to SFLers commenting on Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern books, with how most of the dragon-riders seem to be forced into being bisexual by mental-links with their dragons. Lots and lots of Pern chat, with "impress" being mentioned a whole lot. Having never read any of the Pern books, guessing "impress" is a Pern universe stand-in word for non-consent.

No, it's a real word meaning non-consent. The root is the Latin for "leaving a mark upon".

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Re: marking books Scarlett letter style, it’s nice that at least in this thread we’re at the point where having queer characters is something people flag in books, but because people want to read books with them in it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

quantumfoam posted:

The reason why the Challenger disaster got me so mad on the SA forums/gets me so mad IRL is that the Challenger did not have to launch then; there was a massive political push to launch the Space Shuttle Challenger ASAP.

Why? So that the Teacher in Space Project's scheduled broadcast of 2 15-minute science lessons from the Space Shuttle in orbit to all the children in the USA would happen on schedule and bring the USA/NASA/President Reagan much prestige. Instead, rules got ignored and bypassed, and tragedy happened.

There's also tons of pre-disaster memos from the engineering and science staff that warn of the danger posed by the current weather conditions (the O-ring failure was caused by low ambient temperature followed by rapid heating, and would have been avoided with warmer launch weather) and advise the launch be scrubbed to avoid potentially fatal accidents.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So I got into fantasy with Wheel of Time/Sanderson stuff. I've been going through Audible stuff lately to see if there is anything else I'd like. I was very wrong, there is so much rape. Also I have quickly learned that anything with "angels/demons/assassins/knights" in the description is sign of pure garbage. Audible plus has been handy to try stuff out at least so I haven't really wasted any money just my precious time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Safety Biscuits posted:

quantumfoam, have you posted a link to your blog? I'd like to follow it.

Sure. [REDACTED]
There is definitely spelling errors, missed person of interest highlights, and formatting problems scattered across the posts there, let me know what needs to be corrected and expanded upon.and I will try to do so.

Gnoman posted:

There's also tons of pre-disaster memos from the engineering and science staff that warn of the danger posed by the current weather conditions (the O-ring failure was caused by low ambient temperature followed by rapid heating, and would have been avoided with warmer launch weather) and advise the launch be scrubbed to avoid potentially fatal accidents.

Yup. This gets covered in that Diane Vaughan book I always recommend people read.
It manages to hit a sweet spot that earlier/later books about the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster miss by being too close to the event happening/too far away from the event happening. By the time Vaughan's book, Challenger Launch Decision came out in 1996, more people were willing to be interviewed and put on record and share evidence versus the books released within 8 months -1 yr after the Challenger disaster.

Anything newer than Diane Vaughan book about the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster run into the issues of key people involved in the decisions of 1986 dying, retiring, shredding "un-needed after 20+ yrs records",and very faded personal memories, etc.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 29, 2021