Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

I really want to use my 5k iMac at native resolution but it's ever so slightly too small to be comfortable for all day use.

That extra real estate though, oooh baby.

I’ve been using mine at native res for the past few months and I’m never going back. Having a full-res 4K video window in premiere is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I always increase the size of things on my computers to preserve my eyes and avoid eye strain.

Doesn’t work, but I try

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

redeyes posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but there isn't a way to just make everything larger without screwing with resolution right?

you mean making text larger without adjusting the resolution? probably, but scaling the resolution is the only way to do it that doesn't break window layouts and make random dialogs and menus misaligned. plus lots of applications use custom fonts rather than the system default.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The 1366x768 days were the last time I did not have to use resolution scaling to be able to read text on a laptop

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’ve been using mine at native res for the past few months and I’m never going back. Having a full-res 4K video window in premiere is great.

Doesn't it work out that way anyway?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FuturePastNow posted:

The 1366x768 days were the last time I did not have to use resolution scaling to be able to read text on a laptop

I have PTSD from that on my 11" Air

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Purchase posted:

you mean making text larger without adjusting the resolution? probably, but scaling the resolution is the only way to do it that doesn't break window layouts and make random dialogs and menus misaligned. plus lots of applications use custom fonts rather than the system default.

Wow... windows can do this easily. Bummer. I will not recommend macs for people that can't see well.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

redeyes posted:

Wow... windows can do this easily. Bummer. I will not recommend macs for people that can't see well.

no, the windows implementation is a good example of what i'm talking about. i don't know if you're talking about high dpi scaling, or just customizing the theme with bigger fonts, but both have issues. larger fonts make a lot of application layouts look bad or even break, and high dpi scaling isn't compatible with a lot of older win32 apps. i tried both when i used to run bootcamp on my retina mbp and it sucked poo poo. resolution scaling is the least bad way to make everything bigger in a uniform way.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Bob Morales posted:

I have PTSD from that on my 11" Air

oh higher-res screens are awesome, don't get me wrong, but I have to crank text up to 125-150% now and that's only going to get worse

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

One of the godsends of MacOS for me is the Zoom feature. Hold down Cmd and two-finger scroll to zip in to look at something in high-res (or in apps like browsers just pinch-zoom which works real well for images on web pages that are higher DPI than the browser renders at 1x size).

If Windows has an equivalent of this I haven't found it. It does the dumb annoying versions of it like Magnifier, which is "press a whole weird set of keys to zoom in the whole screen to a specific predefined zoom level and leave it zoomed in and then you have to use another different keystroke to get out of it, also it takes like three seconds for the drat thing to actuate and render"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was the guy who ran his 15" CRT at like 1600x1200 in the 90s and I haven't looked back.

Now where did that "submit reply" button go? *squints*

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

redeyes posted:

With retina screens this isn’t a problem. It’s not like non-native res settings on Windows PCs that look like poo poo.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

redeyes posted:

Scaling just by fonts alone for apps+ general GUI looks awful in Windows, and Mac OS is easily far more consistent in its scaling across all apps (even though Windows DPI scaling is 'pretty good' these days). For people with poor eyesight I'd say Mac OS is actually superior. In what situation would you want your GUI's fonts to be the only element that scaled?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Data Graham posted:

If Windows has an equivalent of this I haven't found it. It does the dumb annoying versions of it like Magnifier, which is "press a whole weird set of keys to zoom in the whole screen to a specific predefined zoom level and leave it zoomed in and then you have to use another different keystroke to get out of it, also it takes like three seconds for the drat thing to actuate and render"
It's Windows Key +. Yeah I think Zoom is def a superior implementation but wtf version of magnifier are you using, it's not like command + isn't used to zoom in on Mac apps routinely and it's also instant.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don't know what version, it's Windows 10. In the Settings thing under Ease of Access/Magnifier, if I press Win-+ it flashes the cursor for like a second and then animates turning the "on" switch on, and then slowly shudderingly zooms in to the preset zoom level. I see that if I'm NOT looking at that specific settings panel it doesn't do any of that animated widget stuff and just does the zoom in, but that was far from obvious behavior.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

blastron posted:

I can’t imagine what the 16” would be like. I used to have a 15” MBP and it was already on the big side for me.

Overall dimensions of Apple's 16-inchers aren't much bigger than the 15" machines - they had a lot of bezel on the 15" designs and cut into that to increase display size without much chassis embiggening.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

jokes posted:

I always increase the size of things on my computers to preserve my eyes and avoid eye strain.

Doesn’t work, but I try

I have eye strain problems and something that helped a lot was making sure that the display I use most has a non flickering backlight. :shrug:

Not sure how common those are but I was using a really nice, newer monitor too, so it's definitely not something that can be taken for granted.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I just run my 15" in 'default for display' rez of like 1440 x 900, and then crank it up whenever I need to tile windows or see some giant spreadsheet. The scaling works great, nothing seems fuzzier at all on the highest rez, just small for my old man eyes.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Why has Migration Assistant, which is using the TB cable that came with my Pro Display XDR and logged a transfer rate of 1555MB/s at one point, now slowed to 6.1MB/s when going from my 2018 15” MBP to a new 16” M1 Max MBP?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

gregday posted:

Why has Migration Assistant, which is using the TB cable that came with my Pro Display XDR and logged a transfer rate of 1555MB/s at one point, now slowed to 6.1MB/s when going from my 2018 15” MBP to a new 16” M1 Max MBP?

Because it's copying a zillion tiny files or it hates you. I copied 700GB from my old MBP to the new one in less than an hour.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

have any large .git folders ? that's usually what slows my restores/migration stuff down

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

For me it was always my Mail.app messages. Twenty years' worth of them.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yep I had those too

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

doingitwrong posted:

Thanks for yelling some sense into me, goons.

No, get the Max, for gaming. That's what I just did.

For the record, I am the dumbest motherfucker to have ever posted in this thread and have been using an eGPU setup in bootcamp with my 2016 MBP for years now and hated every single minute of it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

forbidden dialectics posted:

For the record, I am the dumbest motherfucker to have ever posted in this thread and have been using an eGPU setup in bootcamp with my 2016 MBP for years now and hated every single minute of it

:bighow:

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

You laugh but this was actually pretty loving sweet during a 14 hour international flight when my seatmate didn't show up (the eGPU is underneath the seat)

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

i also got the max for gaming, its a beast

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

You laugh but this was actually pretty loving sweet during a 14 hour international flight when my seatmate didn't show up (the eGPU is underneath the seat)

Hero.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Any rumors that apple's gonna adopt TSMC's 3D cache that AMD's introducing into their chips? It'd be a beast of an SOC with almost a gig of L3 cache on top of the 200GB/sec RAM.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
Is it weird to think that the next M1 update (whatever follows Max), might open Macs up to gamers? Between the Max benchmarks and cloud gaming latency improvements it feels like I might not have to keep building a separate gaming PC in the future…

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Buy an Xbox instead of spending $3500 on a laptop and hoping that this will finally be the year you can play games on it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

American McGay posted:

Buy an Xbox instead of spending $3500 on a laptop and hoping that this will finally be the year you can play games on it.

no

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

American McGay posted:

The new Xbox and PS5 are impossible to buy at least at retail and I just refuse to pay some scalper

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
It's pretty funny that the M1 Max is the only powerful gpu you can easily buy right now, its even on a better node than a 3090.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

The new Xbox and PS5 are impossible to buy at least at retail and I just refuse to pay some scalper

Yes, clearly the $3000 laptop with no games is the better option

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gray Ghost posted:

Is it weird to think that the next M1 update (whatever follows Max), might open Macs up to gamers?

It won’t. Buy literally anything else if you want to play games.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Games being released for the Mac will open up Macs for gamers. There’s a lot of games out there that natively support Macs, and they run very well, but this is a minority, especially in the AAA sphere. Nobody but the most strident Mac gaming diehards are going to set up Parallels so they can run Windows-only titles.

If you want a computer whose primary purpose is to play games, you will likely never want a Mac. If you have a Mac for other reasons and want to run games on it, there are options.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Series X for games, Mac for everything else. Living in the dream world. Switch for the toilet gaming.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

i'm pretty sure every windows laptop under £500 still has that screen resolution if you ever feel like going back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
If you’re already spending ~$3k on a laptop for non-gaming poo poo I don’t think it’s that weird to spend another $500 on the beefy GPU with the intent of loving around with making games work on it and participating in a community of like-minded hobbyists