Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Niavmai posted:

i don't really care if it makes sense or not, i'm mad that people know more about the comic than i do because they read an interview, or completely unrelated text. things that haven't been revealed or explained in any way in the actual text of the comic. just poor form. disappointing.

e: the page you linked is loving huge. i'm actually pretty mad about it.

Yeah I agree with this. I've always been under the impression the headmaster was the leader of the court - or if not, a very high-level member within it. Him seeming bored during all his interactions with the forest made him come off like someone who had such grandoise plans that all this "Dealing with the forest" stuff was beneath him. Jones even points out that he sees the inhabitants of the forest, Coyote and Ys included, as just annoying animals.

Him not being an important member of the court seems like a pretty huge revelation to just tuck away in an interview somewhere outside the comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Tbf the headmaster might still be "an important member of the court" even though he's not the top dog.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
plus that strip was before the characters began to suspect the court was more than the school

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

it's called gunnerkrigg court because its a vehicle to put humanity's potential on trial to defend their worthiness to exist as a species. coyote returns to act as judge taking the form of john de lancie

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Yeah I always got the sense that the school was just this kinda neglected sideshow considering how massive the Court is compared to it, and how the kids are endlessly shepherded into these weird "dorms" that feel barely retrofitted from other purposes. And also just the general carelessness and indolence of the faculty towards the kids. That said, like... why educate them at all? What does that have to do with their efforts to "become God"? It does seem (based on the parents' generation) like it's a bit of a mentorship pipeline for their more secretive operations, and they're also curious about the weirdos in... Chespin? Cheslitt? The weirdo house. I hadn't seen that Word of Tom question but I was running on the vibe that the headmaster was maybe in some secret council, but not necessarily the boss leader.

On a similar note, "secret, even from me" kinda surprised me on this page. I always took Jimmy Jims to be like a... "the muscle / head of security" type? Hilariously in the school context he kinda fit the role of gym teacher. I wouldn't think him to be in on any Court deep state secrets.

edit:

quote:

Who has been longer at the Court, the headmaster or Jones?
The headmaster has spent more of his life at the Court than Jones has.

If he's talking ratios, that was a very cheeky response from Tom.

Fecha fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 14, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

Fecha posted:

It does seem (based on the parents' generation) like it's a bit of a mentorship pipeline for their more secretive operations, and they're also curious about the weirdos in... Chespin? Cheslitt? The weirdo house.

yeah, it's talent scouting/mentorship, plus leverage as seen with annie. also the kids from the forest have some pretty unique talents like being able to learn without effort.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I figured the "school" was mostly a research institute, like plenty of colleges are, and like research colleges education is mostly a side thing that helps them make connections and develop in house potential. But I also figured figured the "headmaster" was the head of the research institution, not the school principal or equivalent thereof. Something more like a college Dean, who really does not actually cate about the underclassmen.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Fecha posted:

Yeah I always got the sense that the school was just this kinda neglected sideshow considering how massive the Court is compared to it, and how the kids are endlessly shepherded into these weird "dorms" that feel barely retrofitted from other purposes. And also just the general carelessness and indolence of the faculty towards the kids. That said, like... why educate them at all? What does that have to do with their efforts to "become God"? It does seem (based on the parents' generation) like it's a bit of a mentorship pipeline for their more secretive operations, and they're also curious about the weirdos in... Chespin? Cheslitt? The weirdo house. I hadn't seen that Word of Tom question but I was running on the vibe that the headmaster was maybe in some secret council, but not necessarily the boss leader.

On a similar note, "secret, even from me" kinda surprised me on this page. I always took Jimmy Jims to be like a... "the muscle / head of security" type? Hilariously in the school context he kinda fit the role of gym teacher. I wouldn't think him to be in on any Court deep state secrets.

edit:

If he's talking ratios, that was a very cheeky response from Tom.

I dunno. I always got the feeling that the court protector was at the very least near the top of the food chain regarding court security. Given that the court appears extranational and regularly deals with things that the mundane world would freak out about and consider existential threats, I doubt court security is your average university rent-a-cop.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

The school seems very heavily implied to just be your regular old secondary eduction thing and being in charge of that doesn't mean a great deal. Whatever further education there is hasn't gotten much mention.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The school appears to serve as a combination of collecting people who aren't old enough to hire, and giving staff with children a reason to stick around. Outside of Doctor Disaster's lessons, I don't think they're being taught anything more than standard british secondary education unless they're in extracirriculars like Annie was.

Not counting Foley house, anyway, which is just its own thing.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
e: nah

ronya fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 16, 2021

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Warmachine posted:

I dunno. I always got the feeling that the court protector was at the very least near the top of the food chain regarding court security. Given that the court appears extranational and regularly deals with things that the mundane world would freak out about and consider existential threats, I doubt court security is your average university rent-a-cop.
Oh I agree he's definitely head of security. But considering how close to the chest they were with telling Tony to go to South America without telling him why (even after he recorded what they asked him to), I suspect the Court wouldn't actually tell Jim anything he doesn't need to know to keep them safe. Whereas he was implying on the past page that he's privy to a lot of classified things. I guess if those classified things could kill people, though, then...

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The one or two remaining dragonslayers are lunkheads who are still fiddling around with that fiddly chanel magic-schmagic, but hey at least they're able to trim the shrubbery that occasionally makes it into the Court. Who needs them, we're going to become Gods!

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
I'm half expecting the tiny buddha-man to cut in front of Annie and say,

"Loup... greetings and salutations. As a duly designated representative of the Court, I order you to cease any and all supernatural activity and return forthwith to your place of origin or to the nearest convenient parallel dimension."

"Oh right, that's all sorted then. Thanks very much, sir."

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Sometimes I feel like I should start reading this on a weekly basis.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Loup still loupsing it

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
What are those court folks doing in the first panel, anyways?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Something fishy, that's for sure.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

CodfishCartographer posted:

What are those court folks doing in the first panel, anyways?
I think they're signalling the rest of the group to stop.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Just wait for the pay off!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hold on to your asses, rear end holders.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I'm very interested to see how Loup will behave here. He's so far been unpleasant and mischievous-while-barely-concealing-murderousness, but somehow this latest page makes me feel like he could have changed somehow? Probably not, but we'll see.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I half figure that's just his physical body sitting there looking serene, while mentally he's running all over panickedly trying to keep the forest from falling apart.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Get ready for 3 Annie's!

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Hempuli posted:

I'm very interested to see how Loup will behave here. He's so far been unpleasant and mischievous-while-barely-concealing-murderousness, but somehow this latest page makes me feel like he could have changed somehow? Probably not, but we'll see.

Welp! That didn't take long.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh some real Ysengrin vibes from the last panel.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Really? I'm getting more "this thread after Chapter 79" vibes

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm with Loup here :colbert:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Splicer posted:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day :hmmyes:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Scholtz posted:

Really? I'm getting more "this thread after Chapter 79" vibes

:thurman:

Looks like things are getting right into it with Loup!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Splicer posted:

:emptyquote:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
weird he didn't notice right away, guess she threw him for a loup

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

YaketySass posted:

weird he didn't notice right away, guess she threw him for a loup

how dare you

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Now we're gonna have 3 Annies

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
We're gonna have two half-Annies.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
What if we get the square root of negative Annies.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Loup: "You dare reverse what I have done!?!"

Annie: "Ha, joke's on you! I haven't been allowed even a shred of agency since I left the Forest!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

jng2058 posted:

Loup: "You dare reverse what I have done!?!"

Annie: "Ha, joke's on you! I haven't been allowed even a shred of agency since I left the Forest!"

:hmmyes: