Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The first episode of Doom 3: Phobos is out.

I still remember waiting for it back in 2005 or so. Can't wait for the next episode in 13 years. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Cool does it make Doom 3 good?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

what port are they running this on?

edit: oh gdx, wasnt there a problem with this engine compared to the original dos version or am i thinking of something else? thinking about starting it up since nightdrive have gone all quiet on whatever it was they were doing.

There are things just feel a touch off sometimes, but not enough to ruin the experience. There was one another "close but not quite" source port that had to be made out of Duke and Shadow Warrior code or something and that one actually had adversely-affected gameplay.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

GUI posted:

The first episode of Doom 3: Phobos is out.

I still remember waiting for it back in 2005 or so. Can't wait for the next episode in 13 years. :shepface:
no thanks, I'm gonna wait until all the episodes are done :rip:

What next, is Mordeth E2 going to be released?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

david_a posted:

What next, is Mordeth E2 going to be released?
😶

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

ling don't

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Netronian Chaos is a surprisingly well done mod for what it is, and it is hilariously fun playing with BTSX2. Are there any other mods like this out there?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

what port are they running this on?

edit: oh gdx, wasnt there a problem with this engine compared to the original dos version or am i thinking of something else? thinking about starting it up since nightdrive have gone all quiet on whatever it was they were doing.

They keep updating it every few weeks so it's always better, in the video there is an example of a difference that's still there with the spider bite effect.
I don't think nightdive were doing anything with blood anymore since they couldn't come to an arrangement.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tim Thomas posted:

Netronian Chaos is a surprisingly well done mod for what it is, and it is hilariously fun playing with BTSX2. Are there any other mods like this out there?
The author of Netronian Chaos has another mod, Rebel Rumble, that tries to mash together Doom gameplay with that of the arcade games Smash TV and Total Carnage. It's quite a bizarre little concoction and might be up your alley.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Flannelette posted:

They keep updating it every few weeks so it's always better, in the video there is an example of a difference that's still there with the spider bite effect.
I don't think nightdive were doing anything with blood anymore since they couldn't come to an arrangement.

They did a tease on Facebook around Halloween where their Facebook banner image was more and more of a picture of Blood box art. It was for three days, and they never responded to any questions. My money was on it being an "It's Halloween/we loved Blood, too" post that they didn't really think through.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 4, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mordja posted:

Cool does it make Doom 3 good?

Nah. That's not their intention at all. If you go in with that mindset, you won't enjoy it at all.

One of the devs, on Doomworld, posted:

Phobos isn't it though. It's not the Doomiest Doom that could ever exist. Phobos is not a Doom game, it's a game set in the Doom3 corner of the Doom "universe". It's not a continuation of Doom3 though as the game takes place during the same time as Doom3.

Also since it's the first episode it's heavy on exposition.

Ironically, Phobos does not take place on Phobos at all. Not even the next episodes apparently.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I can't blame them; Phobos is a cool loving name. :colbert:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
When I first heard of the mod (has it really been a decade ago at this point?) one of its major selling points, at least to me, was that it promised a full episode in Hell. Doom 3 is infamously light on time actually spent in Hell, so this was a problem that needed fixing, and the initial screenshots of Phobos's Hell maps looked really promising.

Too bad they went with the galaxy brain approach of "Doom 3, but without any hell maps" in the end.

e: objectively speaking, though, good on them for making the game mod they wanted to make and releasing (some of) it. It's more than I've done.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

JerryLee posted:

Too bad they went with the galaxy brain approach of "Doom 3, but without any hell maps" in the end.

It's not so much a galaxy brain approach as the sober realization that they lost like 85% of their original team and it took them over a decade to make just the first part, so forget about the Phobos and Hell episodes, we'll all be dead before they're finished.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I've been playing Amulets and Armor the past couple days what up. This game is underrated and I think there should have been more first person action RPGs like that.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I've only played a few stages of it, so I never got to a point where I'm more than a slow, plodding character with almost no stamina to speak of and a garbage carry weight limit, but I agree, it's pretty darn good. Plays a lot like System Shock: Enhanced Edition does, with the swapping between a totally-mouse-driven interface and more traditional FPS controls at the tap of a key.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
A&A’s development was loving bizarre, at one point it was supposed to be a sort of MMO linked to a BBS. There was an LP on these forums a while back where one of the devs showed up and talked about it for a while. I believe he also revealed that it was where Michael Kirkbride (Morrowind lore/design guy) got his start working on games but I could be misremembering that thread and some other one.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Vakal posted:

It's Bram Stoker's Dracula for DOS and it's pretty bad. Just listen to the sound effect whenever an enemy is killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z6YdTdW_VA

When you see a 90s game published by Psygnosis, especially a non-amiga game, expect it be very good or very bad. Just the nature of the beast of old british publishing.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Doom 3's assets for Hell were kind of a mixed bag. There were some sick-looking areas, but a lot of it was just dark rock.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Glagha posted:

I've been playing Amulets and Armor the past couple days what up. This game is underrated and I think there should have been more first person action RPGs like that.

I still fire up Dungeon Hack from time to time just to get my dungeon crawler fix.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Vakal posted:

I still fire up Dungeon Hack from time to time just to get my dungeon crawler fix.

Dungeon Hack kicks rear end. Though it certainly could use mods, especially ones that add more stuff to the random pool.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Is this the end of System Shock 3?

Starbreeze HQ has been raided by Swedish authorities, one arrested

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

After the new Ultima Underworld game I won't mourn it at all if it's dead, I just absolutely can't see that dev making a decent SS3.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This caps off a bunch of other issues hitting Starbreeze recently, with them filing for "reconstruction" (akin to going into administration), firing their CEO and revealing that they're millions in debt following the "wait, that's out?" release of Overkill's The Walking Dead and a few other flops.

The Curse of the Walking Dead IP continues to stalk developers. That, or The Curse of the Psychonauts IP continues to stalk publishers. Maybe they're tag-teaming.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 6, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wait, Overkill's The Walking Dead came out? Last I saw it was just a beta preview video with possibly the crossbow guy from the show and then I never heard about it ever again.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Wait, Overkill's The Walking Dead came out? Last I saw it was just a beta preview video with possibly the crossbow guy from the show and then I never heard about it ever again.
Yeop. Supposedly it's a bit rough and undeveloped on account of leaping from engine to engine throughout development?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Didn't they agree to help or facilitate the end of the Tell tale series to?

What a mess

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shoehead posted:

Didn't they agree to help or facilitate the end of the Tell tale series to?

What a mess
That was Skybound, Robert Kirkman's company.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

The Kins posted:

That was Skybound, Robert Kirkman's company.

Ahh I knew there was SOME double TWD connection at the new studio. Ignore me!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1069735967567663105?s=19

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The only Walking Dead version that's out is the PC one, the console versions aren't happening until February next year so I'd assume they put it out there to use PC players as beta testers/extra income while their studio sank. Who knows if they'll be coming out now, though (probably not).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to Episode 3. I just replayed Ep2 last week to get ready :allears:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i bought dusk because of episode 3 coming out so soon and this game really does get the feel of an older, quake-era fps right

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

The Kins posted:

This caps off a bunch of other issues hitting Starbreeze recently, with them filing for "reconstruction" (akin to going into administration), firing their CEO and revealing that they're millions in debt following the "wait, that's out?" release of Overkill's The Walking Dead and a few other flops.

The Curse of the Walking Dead IP continues to stalk developers. That, or The Curse of the Psychonauts IP continues to stalk publishers. Maybe they're tag-teaming.

What does Psychonauts have to do with Starbreeze?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Dusk's music is loving amazing. In particular the 'dont go into the tomb' level in ep2 which has the best use of dynamic music I can remember since old Lucasarts games back in the 90s.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'd like to show Dusk off to some of my friends, but it would take 1834 floppy disks to move it. :(

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

DatonKallandor posted:

What does Psychonauts have to do with Starbreeze?
They're publishing Psychonauts 2.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

GUI posted:

The only Walking Dead version that's out is the PC one, the console versions aren't happening until February next year so I'd assume they put it out there to use PC players as beta testers/extra income while their studio sank. Who knows if they'll be coming out now, though (probably not).

This seems to be the thing, lately. Usually a lovely, unbalanced PC release then complete silence until console ports come out.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Well, Unreal Tournament: Open Source Edition has gone bust. I was excited when UT and Quake appeared to be making a comeback, especially with the Halo/CoD's dominating most of the last decade, MOBAs and rock/paper/scissors hero shooters dominating most of the current one, and gimmicky battle royale games becoming the new normal. I wish I hadn't gotten my hopes up, especially with the way Quake Champions seems to be leaning. The world has left my crusty old deathmatching rear end behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

treat posted:

Well, Unreal Tournament: Open Source Edition has gone bust. I was excited when UT and Quake appeared to be making a comeback, especially with the Halo/CoD's dominating most of the last decade, MOBAs and rock/paper/scissors hero shooters dominating most of the current one, and gimmicky battle royale games becoming the new normal. I wish I hadn't gotten my hopes up, especially with the way Quake Champions seems to be leaning. The world has left my crusty old deathmatching rear end behind.

Aww. That was looking so good. I guess it's sort of playable in its current form...

I suppose it's hard not to see their reasoning. The Fortnites and Overwatches of the world are scratching the casual multiplayer FPS itch for most people and they probably wouldn't care.