Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I can't remember if I wrote it down immediately or thought to do it during his upkeep. There is no conceivable reason why I wouldn't have trampled through and no meaningful change in the game-state occurred between my combat and his upkeep.

My point wasn't to suggest that I was wronged; I was just saying that playing gotcha Magic isn't fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

BJPaskoff posted:

I kind of trust WotC's marketing research when they told us new players hated feel-bads like having their lands blown up and their spells countered. WotC is usually good at identifying problems but dealing with them either too slowly or too extremely.

But I also talk to a lot of newer players two or three times a week.

Part of the slow response time to issues, or at least to printing answers, is that this is still a game played with physical cards. If a character in a video game is too strong then it's simple enough to take a couple of weeks to work on a patch and put it out to fix things. Meanwhile in Magic sets have to finalized way too far in advance for immediate fixes like that to be a thing, to say nothing of not really being able to errata cards once printed.

Whoever said that Wizards needs to hire more people is correct, I think. Get more people (with new ideas!) into design and development to decrease the turnaround time on new sets, that way Wizards can use new sets to better respond to clear issues with the game.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

the corporate decision to make new player acquisition a much higher priority than tournament player retention

This is pretty much it - other games don't have the tradeoff where the invested player experience atrophies when they focus on the new players, and they're doubling down on this by trying to neglect the invested players.

The game has been out for so long that it is a lifestyle product.

I know everyone in this thread somehow thinks they should be pulling from Hearthstone but I think it is just the opposite, to be honest - Hearthstone is only just now maturing to the point where they even need to think about invested players whereas Magic has had that issue since the 90s.

They need to be able to market the game as having something for everyone at all stages, including their lapsed players. There isn't really a winback format and they've focused too much on intentional obsolescence. Finding new ways to combat that would help, and they should be providing more diverse options instead of trying to smoosh it all into the Standard funnel - there are a lot of mobile / MMO / GaaS type models for player grow, gating, etc.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm a dumb.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 15, 2017

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Miller is a blatant white supremacist.

But blue is the best color.......

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

Sleeve up some Deathmarks and Dread of Night, then.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Eela6 posted:

I think WOTC needs to hire a lot more staff in almost all areas. They seem to have just enough to put out fires. Digital is a mess, they're missing obvious things in development (copycat) , and design seems to have suffered too - BFZ, SOI. KLD were weak draft formats compared to RTR, M13, THS, KTK.

WotC has huge profit margins, even with the recent troubles. They can afford hire people and reverse the trend. If they take this current decline as a sign to spend less rather than more, that will be dangerous.

I just want good draft formats, but magic had to be healthy as a whole for that to exist.

SOI and KLD were both way better formats than RTR or THS as a whole, because of how bad the three-set paradigm was.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but his D&T build is really light on the taxes

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
LOL Wrong thread obviously.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mcmagic posted:

LOL Wrong thread obviously.

There's never a wrong thread to call out a white supremacist.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

There's never a wrong thread to call out a white supremacist.

:yeah:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I mean wotc has been designing for the lowest common denominator which is fine for getting new players and loving terrible for making enfranchised players remain. It's why competitive games at large are designed to be balanced at higher levels of play even if that means Shitheel McGee is confused when he plays a bomb into two islands.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Does anyone know when Modern Masters 2017 spoilers start? I'm trying to decide what I need to get rid of before that (Liliana of the Veil and Griselbrand are the only things that feel like shoo-ins).

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

Whoever said that Wizards needs to hire more people is correct, I think. Get more people (with new ideas!) into design and development to decrease the turnaround time on new sets, that way Wizards can use new sets to better respond to clear issues with the game.

Specifically get enough people that they can stop separating design and development altogether. There's a reason this isn't SOP for game designers in general and it isn't because rosewater is the smartest guy ever, but because it can be directly pointed out as the cause of fuckup after fuckup and they only need that division of labor in order to reliably meet an incredibly tight release schedule on a skeleton crew

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Does anyone know when Modern Masters 2017 spoilers start? I'm trying to decide what I need to get rid of before that (Liliana of the Veil and Griselbrand are the only things that feel like shoo-ins).

Griselbrand is like $12 and costs 8 mana. Why would it be in MM3? And why would it matter if they reprinted it and it dropped to $8? Lili is pretty much guaranteed though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Snaps is probably a shoe-in as well. Fortunately as the MM timeline approaches sets with larger print runs there are fewer cards being introduced that need reprints for price relief purposes and they can use those slots on cards that actually do need the help (lol they won't do this)

UberJew posted:

Specifically get enough people that they can stop separating design and development altogether. There's a reason this isn't SOP for game designers in general and it isn't because rosewater is the smartest guy ever, but because it can be directly pointed out as the cause of fuckup after fuckup and they only need that division of labor in order to reliably meet an incredibly tight release schedule on a skeleton crew

That would work, my main point is that even with the requirement of printing and distributing physical cards I think it's insane that they have to lock in sets so far in advance prior to their actual release. Compare that to how many video game developers are shipping 0.9x versions of games on-disc and putting out Day 1 patches to cover the 11th hour development (yes I know it's not a perfect comparison but there's still a physical product involved)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 15, 2017

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

C-Euro posted:

Snaps is probably a shoe-in as well. Fortunately as the MM timeline approaches sets with larger print runs there are fewer cards being introduced that need reprints for price relief purposes and they can use those slots on cards that actually do need the help (lol they won't do this)

I'm not as worried about Snaps because I think he'd get new art just like Dark Confidant did, and that'll help keep up the price of the original printings. But stuff like Liliana of the Veil, Engineered Explosives, Horizon Canopy, Chalice of the Void, Grove of the Burnwillows, and Zendikar fetches are all inflated and unlikely to be bumped up to mythic, so a reprinting may actually crash them.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Well, LotV will be Mythic.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Chalice and EE are only recently expensive so I'd be kinda surprised if they're in.

I'd expect Hierarch to be in though. That's why I got judge foils.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Niton posted:

SOI and KLD were both way better formats than RTR or THS as a whole, because of how bad the three-set paradigm was.

I'll concede that. I am mostly talking about 3x big set, which is how I prefer to draft - i shouldn't have. DGM-GTC-RTR was pretty bad, as was BNG-THS-THS. journey into nyx-bng-ths was actually pretty good! It somehow made BNG less terrible.

Modern Masters 2 was quite good and makes me hopeful that WOTC still has it in them.

Kaladesh should be fun but I don't enjoy it. I can't put my finger on why. It's not that I'm getting tired of draft, because I still enjoy cube and chaos drafts and old format drafts.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Ein Sexmonster posted:

The big failures of the last few sets have been developmental anyway. The Wotc dev team/ the FFL have been repeating the same mistakes that broke so much in the Mirrodin/ Champions era - insufficient testing and large, last-minute changes that break formats.

This time it's also paired with different mistakes as well - a lack of effective answers. When combined with a mix of intentionally and unintentionally pushed threats you get the soupy garbage of current standard.

"Development" isn't something separate from game design in any world outside of WotC's internal ideology, though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

I'm not as worried about Snaps because I think he'd get new art just like Dark Confidant did, and that'll help keep up the price of the original printings.

True, though I'd be totally fine with picking up a pair of rasta-Snaps to fill out my playset (assuming they re-use the WMCQ art).

But stuff like Liliana of the Veil, Engineered Explosives, Horizon Canopy, Chalice of the Void, Grove of the Burnwillows, and Zendikar fetches are all inflated and unlikely to be bumped up to mythic, so a reprinting may actually crash them.

Not sure about any of these besides Lili TBH. They didn't have a ton of reprints between MMA and MM15 so I wouldn't hold your breath for EE and Chalice unless they've changed that behavior (though both have been high enough long enough to possibly warrant attention). In addition, they haven't printed lands that produce fixed colors of mana at rare/mythic in past MMA sets so I don't see the FUT lands getting spots unless they all come in as a cycle (which would be cool, admittedly). Same with the ZEN fetches obviously.

Remember though, I post in this thread and therefore I don't know poo poo about poo poo, so who knows? Wizards, please either include enough good reprints to merit $10 packs or bring the MSRP down TIA

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Oh yeah another funny thing about them neutering eternal formats is that MM is coming out next month.

"We're slowly eliminating your chances to play modern and legacy but please buy our expensive product for it!".

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

You guys have waaaay too high expectations for mm17.

It's just going to be goyf and bob again, "thus discouraging tournament players buying out the very small and limited print run (which we did on purpose because) which prevents our prides and joys newer players from buying them.

Which is why we also included the Kamigawa Dragon cycle again."

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 16, 2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

You guys have waaaay too high expectations for mm17.

It's just going to be goyf and bob again, "thus discouraging tournament players buying out the very small and limited print run (which we did on purpose because) which prevents our prides and joys newer players from buying them.

Which is why we also included the Kamigawa Dragon cycle again."

"Well, not the entire Kamigawa Dragon cycle - we don't want people to have too many Kokushos because that leads to feelbads. Instead, it'll be Yosei, Keiga, Ryusei, Jugan, and then Ryusei again."

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
At this point I just want to try playing with a ridiculously powerful set compared to the forced-archetype piles that MM1/2 made you draft if you didn't open a non-Comet Storm/Iona mythic. Praetors at rare, game-killing cards at mythic (i.e. Blood Moon, Ensnaring Bridge, Chalice), a Craterhoof in every game - for £8 a pack, I want a better reaction during draft than 'Eh',

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

"Development" isn't something separate from game design in any world outside of WotC's internal ideology, though.

Can someone point me to an explanation of why Wizards has this bug-nutty tiered development cycle?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Can someone point me to an explanation of why Wizards has this bug-nutty tiered development cycle?

I think there's two pieces of logic going into it--

First, the first half of set creation is about coming up with the high-level concepts for the set and then making like a million different cards based on those concepts, and seeing which broad ideas work and which don't. Late set creation is about turning those relatively-final set ideas into a working card list. The skillsets required for those don't necessarily overlap.
Second, having an almost complete turnover in staff halfway through the set means there's fresh new eyes on it, helping ensure that it doesn't get stuck in a rut.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

cheetah7071 posted:

First, the first half of set creation is about coming up with the high-level concepts for the set and then making like a million different cards based on those concepts, and seeing which broad ideas work and which don't. Late set creation is about turning those relatively-final set ideas into a working card list. The skillsets required for those don't necessarily overlap.
Second, having an almost complete turnover in staff halfway through the set means there's fresh new eyes on it, helping ensure that it doesn't get stuck in a rut.

Complete turnover halfway through the set is so that they can get the sets out the door in time, the same reason your call of duty et.al properties have multiple teams working on games concurrently to push out one on the year every year

The skillsets overlap a bunch because the nitty gritty math and mechanics of your game are another part of game design and should be intimately tied into the themes and ideas behind your game and this is why you don't actually have anybody else working on games with the same design/development split that magic uses

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Maintaining Magic Online Price Parity™ with paper Magic allows the Online Economy team to make sure it never attracts too many customers. This unlocks the potential of the team to stay in the Lean Startup mode and deliver innovation year after year.

Meanwhile industry laggards Hearthstone and League of Legends flounder, the albatross of success hanging around their necks!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

The Wicked Wall posted:

At this point I just want to try playing with a ridiculously powerful set compared to the forced-archetype piles that MM1/2 made you draft if you didn't open a non-Comet Storm/Iona mythic. Praetors at rare, game-killing cards at mythic (i.e. Blood Moon, Ensnaring Bridge, Chalice), a Craterhoof in every game - for £8 a pack, I want a better reaction during draft than 'Eh',

(Modern) Cube: The Set would be sweet, the one part of MTGO that makes we wish I actually used that program is stuff like the Holiday Cube.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

(Modern) Cube: The Set would be sweet, the one part of MTGO that makes we wish I actually used that program is stuff like the Holiday Cube.

I went looking at the 2012(?) world championship on youtube and they had cube as a format. Think about how much that would rule now.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

I think there is also the part where there is a group of people who want to be Idea Guys but are bad at Making The Game and so they've managed to rigidly codify this into a weird structure.

Most game development has a pre-production, production, and polishing phases that are basically "browse pinterest for cookie recipes" "make the cookies and frost them" and then a "add sprinkles and eat the ugly ones" steps.

WOTC's system is this weird pre-production + also some production step and then a production + QA split and all of it is timeboxed and I think the lack of discrete production phase ownership means that when the preproduction falls behind, the design team doesn't do ANY production, and as such the QA part falls off the rear end-end as development is desperately trying to assign 2/3 to everything because they don't have time to test interactions.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

clamiam45 posted:

Maintaining Magic Online Price Parity™ with paper Magic allows the Online Economy team to make sure it never attracts too many customers. This unlocks the potential of the team to stay in the Lean Startup mode and deliver innovation year after year.

Meanwhile industry laggards Hearthstone and League of Legends flounder, the albatross of success hanging around their necks!

Half the reasons I've heard for business decisions they make sound like conjecture someone in upper management said once and it became unquestioned gospel internally and the other half is that they did a similar thing years ago that didn't work out so they vowed to never try it again even if circumstances changed.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

GoutPatrol posted:

I went looking at the 2012(?) world championship on youtube and they had cube as a format. Think about how much that would rule now.

I mean, they've had cube working for years now. Why can't I cube draft at any time? Why isn't it available whenever? Their decisions are laughable, they get in the way of their own successes.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

TVsVeryOwn posted:

From what I understand, design writes some card ideas of what they want to do, and development rewrites the cards so they work in the patchwork twenty-plus year old ruleset.

If you've ever read one of those articles where they show how a card started out vs. how it made it into the set, some of the cards design hands off look like they were written down by someone who'd never played Magic before. The ideas are there, but they're incredibly unpolished.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Marketing New Brain posted:

I mean, they've had cube working for years now. Why can't I cube draft at any time? Why isn't it available whenever? Their decisions are laughable, they get in the way of their own successes.

Because Wizards hates your money and doesn't want it. Their reasoning is similar to this: it sucks, but you all have to play Standard for a while. If you played Modern all the time, it wouldn't be as special, and if everyone was playing Modern or something else that they actually want to be doing, it'd take focus away from our main money maker, Standard.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I think I read on a maro post somewhere that they keep cube in the back pocket because they like it as a "gift" for the players during a few times a year. Maybe it's another victim of pushing the game for new players, although in that vein MTGO is a pretty big hurdle.

I have to think that while there might be some fall off if you could draft cube all the time, I know myself and a bunch of my friends would play MTGO way more often if a cube was always available. You could even rotate it from time to time as they already do.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Why would you play anything other than Cube? Seriously. Why would you ever open a new set pack and draft that?

Cube vs Standard-set-draft is a Porterhouse vs McDouble kind of relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Because mtgo doesn't have enough players do have it available all the time. Or rather, if it was available all the time, you wouldn't have enough players for flashback drafts, or constructed queues, or all the other events that some people do want to play, but that wouldn't actually fire if everyone was cubing instead.

They're not actually wrong about it, surprisingly. But somehow their position ends up being "let's only do cube some of the time", instead of being "let's get more people playing mtgo so that there's always enough players for events to fire"

• Locked thread