Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Zero posted:

I got my shipping notice and it says it will be here in 11 days and that’s it’s coming express. :raise:

It’s not really going to take that long is it?

Mine took 9 days, you would think it would take less than 48 hours to get from Shanghai to anywhere in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

I ordered within 15 minutes after the event ending and mine showed up yesterday.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Currently shipping is screwed up for a whole heap of things because of the huge backlogs at any number of ports.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Lemon King posted:

AFAIK the only thread of hope for people that want an Apple Game Console / Apple Gaming in general is if this rumor/leak actually comes to fruition in some form: https://www.tomsguide.com/opinion/apple-leak-claims-a-nintendo-switch-style-games-console-is-coming-but-i-dont-believe-it

The problem with that rumour is they already have a portable mobile gaming system - the iPhone.

quote:

Apple’s App Store revenue is made up almost entirely of users playing games, according to a court ruling released Friday that concluded Epic Games failed to prove Apple is a monopolist.

The appstore had $65B in revenue in 2020. It's not the games we want, but in terms of profit, gaming is wildly successful for them.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

The problem with that rumour is they already have a portable mobile gaming system - the iPhone.

The appstore had $65B in revenue in 2020. It's not the games we want, but in terms of profit, gaming is wildly successful for them.

Yeah it’s hilarious when people say ‘why doesn’t Apple care about gaming?’ They do. A lot. They care about the games that make money. Which, as someone who likes good games, can be disappointing to be sure. Remember that the King (Candy Crush) part of Activision Blizzard King makes way more money than the Blizzard part.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Yeah, Apple makes more money on video games than every other 'mainstream' AAA studio or publisher combined and they haven't made a single game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I understand what you're saying but I'd struggle to call Apple's biggest money makers "video games" and the one sincere effort Apple has seemed to put getting into the actual gaming space, Apple Arcade, has largely fallen flat.

The point remains though that Apple doesn't care about games because they don't have to care about games.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

If apple wants to do mobile gaming we got the iPad Mini that *rules* but... Doesn't seem to have the right gaming content yet haha

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

American McGay posted:

I understand what you're saying but I'd struggle to call Apple's biggest money makers "video games" and the one sincere effort Apple has seemed to put getting into the actual gaming space, Apple Arcade, has largely fallen flat.

The point remains though that Apple doesn't care about games because they don't have to care about games.

“only games with guns in them are video games”

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Ok Comboomer posted:

“only games with guns in them are video games”
Yes that's what my post said. Thank you for your great contribution.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

American McGay posted:

Yes that's what my post said. Thank you for your great contribution.

well why don’t you explain why “Apple’s biggest money makers” aren’t real video games then?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Just glance at a list of the top grossing mobile games. Not sure why you feel the need to get defensive about it. You can't compare Candy Clash Royale to something like Super Mario Odyssey. They don't exist in the same sphere. I'm not saying one of them is more worthy of your time and money than the other, just don't act like they're the same thing.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Yeah. The only thing preventing Macs & iPads from being a top tier gaming platforms is biz dev decisions. The hardware is plenty powerful, and so was the Intel stuff. It’s a matter of them throwing money at game makers the way Epic, Xbox, PlayStation do.

They don’t break out subscriber numbers for Arcade and the offerings there are idiosyncratic and suggest to me that they’re still figuring themselves out/that it’s low priority compared to the TV+ play.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

they are the same thing (video games)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

well why not posted:

they are the same thing (video games)
I'm sure the guy earlier in the thread asking if he should get the next M1 iteration and skip out on a gaming PC will be glad to hear that uhh actually Apple makes more money from video games than anyone else.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

American McGay posted:

Just glance at a list of the top grossing mobile games. Not sure why you feel the need to get defensive about it. You can't compare Candy Clash Royale to something like Super Mario Odyssey. They don't exist in the same sphere. I'm not saying one of them is more worthy of your time and money than the other, just don't act like they're the same thing.

the first computer games I ever played in earnest were Mercer Meyer’s Little Monster and Richard Scarry’s Busytown, pieces of software where mainly you click around and drag a bunch of stuff from one place to another and solve basic puzzles and animations happen.

Are those less “game” than Wolfenstein?

Outside of the monetization and microtransaction garbage, your Clash Royales/etc aren’t structurally or conceptually all that different from something like Plants vs Zombies. Is that not a game?

Is Peggle not a loving game? What about solitaire or Shanghai mahjong or goddamn Cookie Clicker? Is the pinball app that used to ship on Windows not a game? What about Minesweeper?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'd say that, in the context of this thread, many people asking about new MX chipped Macs being viable gaming machines are in fact, not talking about those types of games, no.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
When people ask if Macs have a future as platforms for gaming they are not asking if they’ll run Chess, Peggle, Solitaire, Minesweeper even though those are real games.

They are asking about Stardew Valley, Total War, Death Stranding, Monster Hunter and so on.

This conversation isn’t some moral argument about who is a “real gamer.” Calm down.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

American McGay posted:

just own the thing you originally said and stop moving the goalposts

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

"Mobile games are not the kinds of games people are thinking of when they are asking if a Mac is good for gaming" is a very different take than

American McGay posted:

I understand what you're saying but I'd struggle to call Apple's biggest money makers "video games"

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

When people are trying to talk Game of Thrones vs Mad Men vs the Sopranos vs Seinfeld, no one that’s not an advertising executive gives a poo poo that the Super Bowl out-viewered all of them combined.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

American McGay posted:

The #1 top grossing mobile game in this country is PUBG dude. I think you might have a challenge convincing me that PUBG is not a video game.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

chaosbreather posted:

The #1 top grossing mobile game in this country is PUBG dude. I think you might have a challenge convincing me that PUBG is not a video game.

it’s obviously not, dude, and neither are CoD, Among Us, Minecraft, or Roblox

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Video games are so boring compared to doing CAD. When are the good CAD programs going to port to macOS/ARM, is what I want to know. SW/MasterCAM, Catia, the program formally known as ProE.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

spending 3000 dollars to play peggle and laughing at the console paeons

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

that’s not the argument anybody’s having

just the argument y’all wish we were having

but go off, king

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ok Coboomrr

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

this but not ironically. flexing on the poors is the most important part of buying the m1 max.

For anyone interested, here are some benchmarks I've done so far between my two 14" machines. If you can think of anything else you'd like me to test let me know.

Geekbench 5 (M1 Pro 10C/16C)
1764 Single-Core Score
12382 Multi-Core Score

Geekbench 5 (M1 Pro 10C/16C) (Low Power Mode)
1326 Single-Core Score
6733 Multi-Core Score

Geekbench 5 (M1 MacBook Air)
1710 Single-Core Score
7440 Multi-Core Score

Cinebench (10C/16C vs 10C/24C)
No difference between the two.

BlackMagic SSD Speed Test (10C/16C vs 10C/24C both with 1TB SSD)
~5400 MB/s Read/Write on both - No difference

Black magic disk external SSD (ExFat - Intel Certified Thunderbolt 3 cable)
905 MB/s write
550 MB/s Read

Black magic disk external SSD (ExFat - Maxonar USB4 Cable)
900 MB/s write
550 MB/s Read

Black magic disk external SSD (ExFat - USB-C Hub + USB3 Type A to USB-C cable)
423 MB/s write
366 MB/s Read

Black magic disk external SSD (ExFat - USB-C 3.1 cable included with nvme enclosure)
894 MB/s write
555 MB/s Read

Battery: 3 Hours of Chrome Browsing - Full Brightness, Auto Brightness turned off
24C: 36% battery remaining
16C: 52% battery remaining

World of Warcraft FPS (Quality @ 10/10, native res 14” 3024x1964)
M1 Max 24 Core - 75 FPS
M1 Pro 16 Core - 45 FPS

20.66GB file transfer over Wifi 6 from NAS to Local SSD
16C: 4m 36s (598.8Mbit)
24C: 4m 36s (598.8Mbit)

Planned Tests:
Web browsing battery test at half brightness level
USB-C Network Adapter speed tests
Blender Benchmarks
Handbrake h265/h264
Number of Plex 4k transcodes
Number of Plex 1080p transcodes

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Nov 12, 2021

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Data Graham posted:

Then it [Halo] came out and oh it's just another Doom shooter

these two quotes are so Stereotypical Mac User/Gamer lol

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 12, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean, fair, but as I tried to explain (and should have explained better at the start) my issue with Halo was not that it wasn't technically impressive, it was that I had seen iterations on "first person shooter" every year since Wolfenstein and I was getting bored of it. The 1999 MacWorld keynote promised something that looked way more interesting and creative than yet another look-through-gun-sights-and-shoot-things-that-jump-out-at-you-in-a-hallway-fest. This is a "my personal preferences and expectations" thing, not a "games in general" thing.

For my own part, that bait-and-switch plus the Microsoft buyout that caused it to come out two years later than promised and deprived the Mac of what could have been a game-changing flagship platform-exclusive title were basically what made Halo the last video game I cared about, and all your Skyrims and Dark Scrolls are all just hearsay to me at this point

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I mean, fair, but as I tried to explain (and should have explained better at the start) my issue with Halo was not that it wasn't technically impressive, it was that I had seen iterations on "first person shooter" every year since Wolfenstein and I was getting bored of it. The 1999 MacWorld keynote promised something that looked way more interesting and creative than yet another look-through-gun-sights-and-shoot-things-that-jump-out-at-you-in-a-hallway-fest. This is a "my personal preferences and expectations" thing, not a "games in general" thing.

For my own part, that bait-and-switch plus the Microsoft buyout that caused it to come out two years later than promised and deprived the Mac of what could have been a game-changing flagship platform-exclusive title were basically what made Halo the last video game I cared about, and all your Skyrims and Dark Scrolls are all just hearsay to me at this point

the high water mark of Mac gaming is MYST, maybe Wolfenstein 3D/DOOM

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
DOOM isn't a great example; maybe better would be Quake III Arena where every iMac had a 3D accelerator whereas many whitebox PCs couldn't run it.

(In an alternate universe the Mac port of HL1 isn't cancelled by Sierra and CounterStrike beta gains a majority Macintosh playerbase from all the school labs and home PCs that are iMacs.)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The Grand Central Fruit Stand has **NO** 16-inch M1 Pros in stock and only 8 core 14-inchers.

The nice Fruit Lady said I would have better luck 'online' :rolleyes: rather than sending me on a ragtag wandering quest across the NYC hellscape

Another guy suggested I try NJ or Staten Island..

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol. Getting from one Apple Store to another in Manhattan is a curse, it's like they're at some algorithmically determined furthest distance/annoyance from each other via transit

the subway lagrange points

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

The Grand Central Fruit Stand has **NO** 16-inch M1 Pros in stock and only 8 core 14-inchers.

The nice Fruit Lady said I would have better luck 'online' :rolleyes: rather than sending me on a ragtag wandering quest across the NYC hellscape

The North Jersey Microcenter had a bunch in stock the other day, fwiw

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Binary Badger posted:

You might be interesting in this https://github.com/worthbak/apple-store-inventory-checker .

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

maybe call some of the third party places like mikey's hookup or mike's tech shop, or even b&h/adorama? i know tekserve (RIP) would often have a half decent stock of macs that were scarce at the fruit stand.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Walked has a good idea, I'll call the Yonkers Micro Center and maybe the Fruit Stand in Whitey Plains..

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

“What’s a video game” chat is the new version of “what’s a computer” that Apple was going for

You can play video games on anything including calculators, but you can’t play certain games on Macs (and you can’t play certain games on PCs), and people want to be able to play their PC games on Mac.

The power of Apple silicon inspired hope in a lot of people hoping to see macs be more natively supported by developers of certain video games but we don’t see that happening. Beyond that, the performance on macs is almost always just a little bit worse than on PC because they rely on emulation and wrappers and stuff, but when they’re natively supported (like WoW) they run beautifully.

I hope that I get native support for my favorite video games on MacOS and more robust Rosetta-esque compatibility so I never have to use windows again

I want to play natively supported total war warhammer, FF14, all the FF pixel remasters, Stellaris, Factorio, rimworld, and Genshin impact. Maybe one day~

jokes fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Apple doesn't want to promote "serious gaming" because it's toxic, it all 12 year old screaming the n-word and swatting each other to death.

Also the code quality is crap, hmm yes 50GB day one patches and also you need the latest windows to get this directx point release, don't forget the 800MB gameready driver. Apple would rather cater to casual gamers.