Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Maine Justice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Tei posted:

What a weird map. Is not "red states.txt"

But I'm takin' a greyhound
On the Rio Grande line
I'm in a New York state of mind

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

They fixed it, and the colors changed too, so it's not like they just put the wrong label on the state, they also put the wrong data.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess Hawaii is extremely medicated.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Bird in a Blender posted:

They fixed it, and the colors changed too, so it's not like they just put the wrong label on the state, they also put the wrong data.

This one makes more sense to me.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess Hawaii is extremely medicated.

They're pretty HI :toot:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That map reminds me of one of my more effective high school teachers. The class was TX government and he spent a while showing us the statistics that make Texas look great (lots of money! people move here! good for business!) and then dumped on us that roughly 1/5 of texans live in poverty and 1/4 have no high school degree and other things that make you go "oh, hooray, capitalism works"

also "We rank lower than Mississippi, guys" which is far and away the best way to make a room full of southern kids reconsider their learned state pride.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 27, 2020

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

The State names look like an off-by-two error with maybe the data also off-but-not-by-two?

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Looks like that except that alphabetically, everything is correct up to Colorado. Things look shifted starting with Glorida.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Banana Canada posted:

Looks like that except that alphabetically, everything is correct up to Colorado. Things look shifted starting with Glorida.

not that easy - alaska, arizona, and arkansas are fine, but alabama (first state A-Z) is wrapped around to wyoming (last state A-Z)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
did anyone else have to learn this song in grade school?

ALLLLLLLL-AAAAAA-bama

Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado... Connecticut!

Delaware Flor'da Georgia Hawai'i Idaho Illinois INDIANA

Iowa Kansas Kentucky? Louisiane Maine

Maryland, Massachusetts! Michigan. Minnesotamississippi

MISSOURI MONTANA

NEBRASKA! NEVADA!

newhampshirenewjerseynewmexiconewyork

North Carolina. North Dakota. Ohi- oh :(

Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania. Rhode Island South Carolina. South Dakota, Tennessee, TEXAS!

Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington

West Virginia... Wisconsin, Wyoming??

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

ALLLLLLLL-AAAAAA-bama

MISSOURI MONTANA

NEBRASKA! NEVADA!

Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania. Rhode Island South Carolina. South Dakota, Tennessee, TEXAS!

I think something like this was on Animaniacs maybe? I know they did a really cool one with all the countries so I may be projecting, but it does seem like something they'd do

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never memorized that song, but I knew people that apparently did. Probably a regional thing.

I did wind up memorizing this song out of having to study for state capital tests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSvJ9SN8THE

And for no apparent reason I also wound up memorizing their president song, although I don't think there were ever any tests on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSvJ9SN8THE

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
this was my president song in high school: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5dp8mzRPio

we had some focus-grouped Obama verses too.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SlothfulCobra posted:

And for no apparent reason I also wound up memorizing their president song, although I don't think there were ever any tests on that.

The version of the presidents song on the actual show removed a joke at the end, using the lines "But the ones in charge are plain to see / The Clintons, Bill and Hillary". But the album version retains the original line: "But the one in charge is plain to see / It's Clinton, first name Hillary".

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

ALLLLLLLL-AAAAAA-bama

MISSOURI MONTANA

NEBRASKA! NEVADA!

That's a Red Hot Chilli Peppers song right?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Negostrike posted:

That's a Red Hot Chilli Peppers song right?

only saying california once? no way

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
"north, south, east, west, in our calm objective opinion... (home state) is the beeeeeest of the fifty nifty United States and thirteen original colonies...."

please someone either remember this dumb song or confirm that Texas blows or both

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Texas blows OP.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Texas blows OP.

It's no (home state), that's for sure.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
this isn't the tune we sang it to but oh god it"s similar and oh god does this seem fascist in hindsight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhDrGnjacvA&t=107s

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Did you have to say the Texas pledge of allegiance, or did you refuse in order to not pledge your soul to the demon of Texan nationalism?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmHsKdpPTPk

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

Did you have to say the Texas pledge of allegiance, or did you refuse in order to not pledge your soul to the demon of Texan nationalism?

We started having the Texas pledge when I was like 10.

These friendly Education Officers will explain the specifics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n144H-QoK6s

e: ya leningrad where have you been?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 28, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This is horrifying. It's somehow more tedious and longer than the every word in the english language song. And they can't even give enough of a poo poo to put Russia in the right place at the end.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
also ya Krym

e: also seriously though, can we agree as an international community to just finish all disputes via alphabetical geography singing contests?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 28, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Is the Jewish Autonomous Oblast neither mostly jewish or an oblast?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

SlothfulCobra posted:

Is the Jewish Autonomous Oblast neither mostly jewish or an oblast?

As far as I can figure, it is indeed both an oblast and autonomous (being defined as the only autonomous oblast in the Russian constitution).

To make up for this, it is however less than one percent Jewish.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"north, south, east, west, in our calm objective opinion... (home state) is the beeeeeest of the fifty nifty United States and thirteen original colonies...."

please someone either remember this dumb song or confirm that Texas blows or both

Did they call Texas the best of the 13 original colonies? Like I know schools are bad down there but

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I absolutely had to memorize and sing this song with the rest of my class for some kind of thing in like third grade (96-97ish) and it's the reason I still know every state in alphabetical order. This was in New Mexico which uh fit pretty awkwardly during the blank in that line.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

After the war ended in 1945, there was renewed interest in the idea of Birobidzhan as a potential home for Jewish refugees. The Jewish population in the region peaked at around 46,000–50,000 Jews in 1948, around 25% of the entire population of the JAO. However, in 1948, Stalin's anti-Jewish purges made living in the JAO unappealing. Jews were no longer able to get jobs or attend graduate school.

Stalin ruins everything.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That map reminds me of one of my more effective high school teachers. The class was TX government and he spent a while showing us the statistics that make Texas look great (lots of money! people move here! good for business!) and then dumped on us that roughly 1/5 of texans live in poverty and 1/4 have no high school degree and other things that make you go "oh, hooray, capitalism works"

also "We rank lower than Mississippi, guys" which is far and away the best way to make a room full of southern kids reconsider their learned state pride.

Meanwhile in Mississippi schools:

“Thank God for Texas.”

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I remember this song! You're not alone.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
https://twitter.com/ambient_cowboy/status/1233470146288799745?s=21

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

rightful Serbian Corn

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

londonarbuckle posted:

I absolutely had to memorize and sing this song with the rest of my class for some kind of thing in like third grade (96-97ish) and it's the reason I still know every state in alphabetical order. This was in New Mexico which uh fit pretty awkwardly during the blank in that line.

When I was singing it it was like 2002 in the asscrack between Clovis and Lubbock.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

a fatguy baldspot posted:

rightful Serbian Urban Decay

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

We started having the Texas pledge when I was like 10.

These friendly Education Officers will explain the specifics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n144H-QoK6s

e: ya leningrad where have you been?

My niece had to do the Michigan pledge until she was in middle school and moved to Texas where did the Texas pledge. It was a shock when she learned that most states don't do that.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

is this song supposed to be generic for use by any state? That's lame.

Everybody post your own favorite local or regional anthems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9-7VVP5WTM

Despite the name of the band, this song is not about Ohio. "Old Dominion" is the nickname of the state this song is about. For those geography nerds here who can't guess the state just from that, who here can get it before the real name is revealed at ~ the 1 minute mark?

edit: the song also gives a quick geography lesson about the state, although you probably won't get most of the references if you aren't already familiar with the place.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 29, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you're going to weirdly specify "fifty states and thirteen original colonies" you should really just go all the way and simply say "46 states and 4 commonwealths"

BIGBONGTHEORY
Apr 17, 2007
Stupid Dickfaced Moron

:wtc: at the fascisty defence of annexing Crimea on "Kids Learning Tube"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

BIGBONGTHEORY posted:

:wtc: at the fascisty defence of annexing Crimea on "Kids Learning Tube"

? all it says is “i am crimea”