Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Halloween Jack posted:

They started planning in 2012, and the success of DE:HR probably helped.

Too bad the success of DE:HR didn’t help DE:MD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

White Coke posted:

Why did CDPR decide to adapt CP2020? Was an executive a big fan, or was it just cheaper than getting the Shadowrun IP?

Getting video game rights to William Gibson's books was probably too difficult/expensive even if it would've probably been a better idea.

I remember Sapkowski originally sold the rights to CDPR for like a one time sum of $50k or something expecting nothing to come of it and was pretty loving mad when Witcher 2 turned into a mega hit. I think CDPR went back and amended their deal to give him a cut of the games revenue out of the goodness of their heart.

He's now working on the Netflix show and probably making more from then then he ever did from his books prior to 2010 so it seems like he's pretty happy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Look Sir Droids posted:

You had to remind me that MD is only a third of what was originally planned and then they hacked it up even more for DLC.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

It could've if square hadn't murdered it. Man they did that franchise dirty

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The short story that introduces Dudu really shows another side of Geralt. In the games he's obviously well-educated, but seems to go out of his way to sound gruff and plain-spoken. In this story he's using Dudu as an example to make a metaphysical argument for atheism, and rebuffing a witcher contract in a rather lawyerly way.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

pentyne posted:

Getting video game rights to William Gibson's books was probably too difficult/expensive even if it would've probably been a better idea.

I remember Sapkowski originally sold the rights to CDPR for like a one time sum of $50k or something expecting nothing to come of it and was pretty loving mad when Witcher 2 turned into a mega hit. I think CDPR went back and amended their deal to give him a cut of the games revenue out of the goodness of their heart.

He's now working on the Netflix show and probably making more from then then he ever did from his books prior to 2010 so it seems like he's pretty happy.

Actually he took them to court and had a good enough case they instead settled with him for ~$16 million.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Halloween Jack posted:

The short story that introduces Dudu really shows another side of Geralt. In the games he's obviously well-educated, but seems to go out of his way to sound gruff and plain-spoken. In this story he's using Dudu as an example to make a metaphysical argument for atheism, and rebuffing a witcher contract in a rather lawyerly way.

Yeah, but that story is also funny because Dudu runs half the dwarfs in the city out of business in a single day with some uncanny trade deals.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Gaius Marius posted:

It could've if square hadn't murdered it. Man they did that franchise dirty

During that stretch of years, Square was just outright cruel to Eidos.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

White Coke posted:

Why did CDPR decide to adapt CP2020? Was an executive a big fan, or was it just cheaper than getting the Shadowrun IP?

Doesn't Microsoft still have the Shadowrun game rights?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Actually he took them to court and had a good enough case they instead settled with him for ~$16 million.

Really? Is there a link?

I read about him getting burned on the polish TV adaption making no money so for the video games his attitude was "cut me a check I have 0 expectations you succeed but have fun anyways assholes" and had a general disregard for the games themselves after the fact.

He's very much changed his tone towards adaptations in the last few years.

This is what I seem to remember

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-24-meeting-andrzej-sapkowski-the-writer-who-created-the-witcher

quote:

CD Projekt came sniffing around in the early 2000s, another history I've written in detail before. Sapkowski doesn't remember how the conversation went but he remembers agreeing to the game. "Well they brought a big bag of money!" he says. It was the same reason he said yes to Chmielarz. "What I expect from an adaptation: a big bag of money. That is all."

Simply, he didn't think it would amount to much. He thought games were stupid, had done ever since shooting Martians on an old console plugged into a TV. "OK let's play cards or let's drink vodka," he said back then, "but killing Martians is stupid. And my standpoint stands: it is stupid."

So he left CD Projekt Red to it. Didn't visit, wasn't consulted, didn't care. He was Andrzej Sapkowski, who were they? "People ask me, they say, 'The games helped you?' I say, 'Yes, to the same extent I helped the games.' It was not so that the games promote me: I promoted the games with my name and characters."

You can understand his frustration and you can understand the confusion. But isn't it all water under the bridge compared to the money he has made from Witcher game sales? Well no, because - and herein lies his constant source of aggravation - he gets nothing.

"I was stupid enough to sell them rights to the whole bunch," he says. "They offered me a percentage of their profits. I said, 'No, there will be no profit at all - give me all my money right now! The whole amount.' It was stupid. I was stupid enough to leave everything in their hands because I didn't believe in their success. But who could foresee their success? I couldn't."

He doesn't begrudge CD Projekt Red's accomplishments all the same. In many ways he couldn't have asked for a better studio. Credit where credit is due. "The game is made very well," he says, "and they merit all of the beneficiaries they get from it. They merit it. The game is very good, well done, well done."

He is not above signing a Witcher game too, should you present it, and people have. "I do it," he says. "Because first of all, when people come to sign, I consider them fans, so if they come and present me the game to sign, I cannot say no to that because it would be very impolite. Stand in a long queue, bring the game, what can I say? 'Please go away, I will not sign it'? It will be very impolite."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-01-02-cd-projekt-signs-new-agreement-and-ends-dispute-with-the-witcher-author

quote:

Following this, he publicly demanded over $16 million in royalties from CD Projekt, claiming that under Polish law he had been wrongfully underpaid for his work. CD Projekt dismissed the claim, but said: "It is the Company's will to maintain good relations with authors of works which have inspired CD Projekt Red's own creations. Consequently, the Board will go to great lengths to ensure amicable resolution of this dispute; however, any such resolution must be respectful of previously expressed intents of both parties, as well as existing contracts."

It appears that the desired amicable resolution has been achieved. The statement from CD Projekt states that: "The agreement satisfies and fully clarifies the needs and expectations of both parties, past and present, and sets out a framework for the future cooperation between the two sides."

It seems to PR weasel words but very much written like CDPR just said "sure okay" and gave him a piece of their mega-hit to avoid the PR nightmare of the original author suing them.

https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/investors/regulatory-announcements/current-report-no-15-2018/

quote:

Current report no. 15/2018

October 2, 2018

Subject: Receipt of a demand for payment submitted on behalf of Mr. Andrzej Sapkowski

Legal basis: Art. 17 of the Market Abuse Regulation _MAR_ – inside information

The Management Board of CD PROJEKT S.A. with a registered office in Warsaw, Jagiellońska 74, hereby announces that on 1 October 2018 the Company received an official demand for payment filed by plenipotentiaries of Mr. Andrzej Sapkowski.

The notice indicates that Mr. Andrzej Sapkowski expects payment of additional royalties beyond what had been contractually agreed upon between himself and the Company. The contents of the notice are attached to this report.

In the Company’s opinion the demands expressed in the notice are groundless with regard to their merit as well as the stipulated amount. The Company had legitimately and legally acquired copyright to Mr. Andrzej Sapkowski’s work, i.a. insofar as is required for its use in games developed by the Company. All liabilities payable by the Company in association therewith have been properly discharged.

It is the Company’s will to maintain good relations with authors of works which have inspired CD PROJEKT RED’s own creations. Consequently, the Board will go to great lengths to ensure amicable resolution of this
dispute; however, any such resolution must be respectful of previously expressed intents of both parties, as well as existing contracts.

In the Company’s opinion receipt of the abovementioned demands meets the significance criterion due to the identity of the person submitting the demands.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 28, 2021

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

pentyne posted:

Really? Is there a link?

I read about him getting burned on the polish TV adaption making no money so for the video games his attitude was "cut me a check I have 0 expectations you succeed but have fun anyways assholes" and had a general disregard for the games themselves after the fact.

He's very much changed his tone towards adaptations in the last few years.

This is what I seem to remember

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-24-meeting-andrzej-sapkowski-the-writer-who-created-the-witcher

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-01-02-cd-projekt-signs-new-agreement-and-ends-dispute-with-the-witcher-author

It seems to PR weasel words but very much written like CDPR just said "sure okay" and gave him a piece of their mega-hit to avoid the PR nightmare of the original author suing them.

https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/investors/regulatory-announcements/current-report-no-15-2018/

Polish law has provisions for licensed works that make far and above what the rights holder made to claim damages. It's just PR on CDP's part to say they only did it out of the kindness of their own heart for a spurious law suit.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 28, 2021

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Like Clare Torry and The Great Gig in the Sky lawsuit, Sapkowski deserves that money and maybe (probably) more. Even if he comes across as a grumpy rear end in a top hat.

Namnesor posted:

During that stretch of years, Square was just outright cruel to Eidos.

Gotta fund those animated movies and w/e the hell they were doing with FF14-1, and FF15's marketing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Reminds me of the inventor of the keurig, who sold the patent for $50k thinking it would never go anywhere, and now years later rails against them for being a source of excessive waste generation.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
These days, it seems wise to keep the creator onboard to avoid bad PR. People are very concerned about Authenticity in the products they buy from global conglomerates.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Halloween Jack posted:

These days, it seems wise to keep the creator onboard to avoid bad PR. People are very concerned about Authenticity in the products they buy from global conglomerates.

part of why the TV series is well received. sapkowski is involved and they changed poo poo but mostly it was things where it really does not matter and they have some Hollywood reason for doing so. keeps them from doing truly stupid poo poo.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Has anyone tried the hoods and cloaks mod? https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/4242

Is there any point in getting it in addition to AMM? Does it have new cloak models that don't clip through armour?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Anything to get rid of the daft looking hood on the GM Feline armor set.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

lite_sleepr posted:

Anything to get rid of the daft looking hood on the GM Feline armor set.

Professor Glasses take care of this just fine, and the two together look dope af.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
You can get a concealment kit which allows you to wear the glasses and the rear end ears together.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

lite_sleepr posted:

You can get a concealment kit which allows you to wear the glasses and the rear end ears together.

Isn't that only available during the heist quest?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nope. But the wiki says you might need to finish all of HoS for the diagram to appear.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I have played this game a ludicrous amount and this is the first I'm hearing about a concealment kit.

My god it's real.

https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Concealment_kit

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

One very specific point.

But you can console command it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I have played this game a ludicrous amount and this is the first I'm hearing about a concealment kit.

My god it's real.

https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Concealment_kit

wtf

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I've always just gone along and assumed we do but do we need to carry the two swords? Are they actually ineffective vs the wrong opponent?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

I've always just gone along and assumed we do but do we need to carry the two swords? Are they actually ineffective vs the wrong opponent?

For sure. I often think monsters or wolves are being weirdly tough and then realise I was using the wrong sword. I'd estimate from the feel of playing that it does about a third to a half of the damage if you use the wrong type?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Very. If you use the wrong sword it can take ages to kill things. You mostly see it in fights against Leshen, which summon non-magical wolves. It'll take a long while to kill the wolves with a silver sword, or the Leshen with a steel one, so you need to switch a lot (or use other tools to clear the wolves while you focus the Leshen).

You can also use that effect to grind levels for Aerondight when you get it. I was killing wolves in a hit or two with steel and would need over 10 to kill with Aerondight (iirc).

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I guess it must be a bug or maybe I just never noticed but I just had the cut-scene where the peasant is telling Geralt about the Wild Hunt's attack on Heatherton. Towards the end it does an ominous zoom in on (I think) Eredin and over it plays Geralt saying "Greeeat" in an extremely sarcastic tone while this dude is telling him about all his friends and family being slaughtered.

What the heck! In this one he says "Just wonderful." I guess Geralt has random sarcastic quip in this cutscene. I've got over 600 hours in this and I learn something new each time.

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggF8tQaNqII&t=240s

In this one he says "Great" but not nearly as sarcastically. WTF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aEMVttelQs&t=358s

He says "poo poo" in this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcV9r3N0Q_c&t=219s

"Dammit!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tigR0DwNLz0&t=220s

There's a chance he says nothing at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg1Reg8S6Os&t=174s

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 3, 2021

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

That's a fun detail! I'm pretty sure Geralt said "poo poo" in this playthrough.

Some lovely shots from a still rather good-looking game:

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
Great shots.
Cookie mould armor is the best looking armor.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Uh, that mod for Geralt's face makes him look real old, uh.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Grandpa?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Can love conjunct on the battlefield?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
If you're playing on PC you should get this mod. It's a good mod. No, it's a great mod.

Magic Spells

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm becoming a military nerd in my old age, so I just want a mod that makes Geralt close up the front of his brigandine.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm becoming a military nerd in my old age, so I just want a mod that makes Geralt close up the front of his brigandine.

I think i have like 20 posts in this thread yelling about how Geralt does not close up the front of his armor WHEN HE DIED FROM A loving STAB IN THE GUT

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

What's the point of being alive if you're not showing off to every sorceress you happen upon?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like how Geralt just wraps his Bear armour around him and cinches it like a bath robe rather than having proper fasteners.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I like how Geralt just wraps his Bear armour around him and cinches it like a bath robe rather than having proper fasteners.

It matches his overall divorced dad aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Can you import your swords & armor from witcher 2 to wild hunt? And is it even worth it to craft the best stuff just to have it later or does the wild hunt just throw better junk at you right away anyway?