Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Old stock Canadians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

EngineerJoe posted:

Maybe it's because I was an Anglo growing up in Quebec but the tragically hip mean nothing to me so I don't understand the reaction. That's not to say I'm criticizing or anything. I just don't understand it.

I get this, Quebec has it's own weird star system of Roch Voisines and Elvis Grattons that these folks have probably never heard of either.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Hello, I am a "government comedian".

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Segue posted:

I think the Gord Downie and the Hip are huge among white Canadians and embody that white rural Canada image that we have of ourselves.

But all I've seen today is those same white people talk about how they define Canada. My friends who are people of colour or are Francos have much less of an investment in them which is why all the talk around them "defining Canada" during their last tour and now makes me uncomfortable.

They're an amazing rock band but they're huge only to a specific group of people that seems relatively homogeneous.

I had the same thoughts when I saw a few people posting "Canada will be closed during the Tragically Hip's last concert" on Facebook, and it was always by the same people, too.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
If someone published a best of tragically hip compilation it'd be a good album because literally every th album only had 1 good song on it

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Segue posted:

I'm a huge fan of the Hip and have always maintained that Rob Baker is criminally underrated. The guy just bleeds excellent hooks.

I think the Gord Downie and the Hip are huge among white Canadians and embody that white rural Canada image that we have of ourselves.

But all I've seen today is those same white people talk about how they define Canada. My friends who are people of colour or are Francos have much less of an investment in them which is why all the talk around them "defining Canada" during their last tour and now makes me uncomfortable.

They're an amazing rock band but they're huge only to a specific group of people that seems relatively homogeneous.
you've clearly forgotten that white anglos with boring tastes and opinions are the default

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

Reince Penis posted:

I get this, Quebec has it's own weird star system of Roch Voisines Jean Leloup and Elvis Grattons Vilain Pingouin that these folks have probably never heard of either.

FTFY

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

namaste faggots posted:

If someone published a best of tragically hip compilation it'd be a good album because literally every th album only had 1 good song on it

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Wente always looks like she's one coke bender away from becoming Gollum.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

A co-worker tried to claim that some Tragically Hip song was Canada's unofficial national anthem and I was all like 'Bro that's a strange way to describe Northwest Passage by Stan Rogers.'

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mad Hamish posted:

A co-worker tried to claim that some Tragically Hip song was Canada's unofficial national anthem and I was all like 'Bro that's a strange way to describe Northwest Passage by Stan Rogers.'

True story. I mean if we're going to talk about tragic deaths of Canadian musicians...

e: Holy poo poo, Alberta has an actual official song? Adopted in 2005 no less? This should be good.

e2: It is much worse than I expected https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MQnTY0q8JE

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 18, 2017

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Guys I feel so proud of Canada right now. Clearly or culture is superior to America and demonstrative of not needing any nanny state protections.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mad Hamish posted:

A co-worker tried to claim that some Tragically Hip song was Canada's unofficial national anthem and I was all like 'Bro that's a strange way to describe The Idiot by Stan Rogers.'

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mad Hamish posted:

A co-worker tried to claim that some Tragically Hip song was Canada's unofficial national anthem and I was all like 'Bro that's a strange way to describe The White Collar Holler by Stan Rogers.'

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Mad Hamish posted:

A co-worker tried to claim that some Tragically Hip song was Canada's unofficial national anthem and I was all like 'Bro that's a strange way to describe ”Stick the loving Flag Up Your Goddamn rear end, You Sonofabitch” by Propagandhi

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-niqab-burka-bill-62-1.4360121

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBBpbRAnN6Y

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 9, 2022

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mad Hamish posted:

A co-worker tried to claim that some Tragically Hip song was Canada's unofficial national anthem and I was all like 'Bro that's a strange way to describe The War of 1812 by The Arrogant WormsThree Dead Trolls in a Baggie.'

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh oh can I get it and say twelve days of beermas by Bob and Doug MacKenzie?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
https://www.twitter.com/goldsbie/status/920755466271100928

Whoopsie!

E: this is presumably a Liberal controlled committee. I'm guessing they don't know who he is. Somehow.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Ahahahaha that confused the poo poo outta me when I was little.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Reince Penis posted:

https://www.twitter.com/goldsbie/status/920755466271100928

Whoopsie!

E: this is presumably a Liberal controlled committee. I'm guessing they don't know who he is. Somehow.

Wait, are Nazis for or against abortion?

I mean I imagine they're staunchly pro-choice, as long as it's their choice.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Just guessing, but it's gotta be abortions for some1, miniature American flags for others.

1Non-whites

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
We just got back from Atlantic Canada trip and were confused as gently caress for a few days because everyone kept saying it was Canada Day. Turns out they meant Canada 150 with regards to the free historic sites. We saw a bunch of dudes shooting muskets at a couple sites.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mad Hamish posted:

A co-worker tried to claim that some Tragically Hip song was Canada's unofficial national anthem and I was all like 'Bro that's a strange way to describe Hockey Scores by Logan Aubé.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbZMnF1VNlE

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That's a strange way to describe Anthem by Rush.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Excellent

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

True story. I mean if we're going to talk about tragic deaths of Canadian musicians...

e: Holy poo poo, Alberta has an actual official song? Adopted in 2005 no less? This should be good.

e2: It is much worse than I expected https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MQnTY0q8JE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3CwQiLtj2M

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Not sure how you can get more Canadian than Bob & Doug AND Geddy Lee though...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jm4LoOaAWI

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 26, 2018

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If you motherfuckers aren't this sad when Kim Mitchell bites it-

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 26, 2018

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Risky Bisquick posted:

HQ2 isn't coming anywhere in canada but toronto, and otherwise will go to the us. The HQ2 bidding shenanigans is simply free marketing for Amazon in every city who overthinks their self worth.

Truthpost.

I don't bemoan any cities for throwing their hat in though, kinda what the citizens elected them for. Amazon might bring mostly poo poo jobs but at least it's money.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74B5kMLNd5Q

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

I always enjoyed that song until I saw a video of them performing it. How absurdly goony they looked might have been enough to ruin it for me, but far and away the most pathetic bit was that they changed "the Americans ran and cried" to "the government ran and cried" because they were afraid of offending the American audience.

Have some loving artistic integrity, guys!

(It's also arguably responsible for the myth that Canada burned down the White House http://clioscurrent.com/blog/2015/7/13/burningwashington)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The Hip was never my jam but good in Downey for pushing causes. :shrug:

Look at the Rebel acting like white genocide is a bad thing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Tighclops posted:

If you motherfuckers aren't this sad when Kim Mitchell bites it-

I will be very sad, because someone will undoubtedly use it as an excuse to play Patio Lanterns.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I'll use it as an excuse to go for a soda.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

namaste faggots posted:

I'm shocked you're even going this far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

BGrifter posted:

quote:

A co-worker tried to claim that some Tragically Hip song was Canada's unofficial national anthem and I was all like 'Bro that's a strange way to describe ”Fedallah's Hearse” by Propagandhi