Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You cannot take anything with you except your choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

You cannot take anything with you except your choices.

And apparently not even your choices sometimes, given that I spared Letho specifically so I'd see him in TW3, only for him to be completely absent despite me importing the save. :mad:

Pro tip: simulate your Witcher 2 saves instead of importing, people.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But then you don't get your blue stripes tattoo

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
you can console command that in but it doesn't get written to your save

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

macabresca posted:

Can you import your swords & armor from witcher 2 to wild hunt? And is it even worth it to craft the best stuff just to have it later or does the wild hunt just throw better junk at you right away anyway?
The only gear worth having in Witcher 3 is the Witcher Gear, with the occasional exception of this or that magic sword.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

macabresca posted:

Can you import your swords & armor from witcher 2 to wild hunt? And is it even worth it to craft the best stuff just to have it later or does the wild hunt just throw better junk at you right away anyway?

No but if you're particularly attached to the look/story of any of it there's mods you can get for Witcher 2 gear.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Thanks for the responses. Coincidentally Wild Hunt GOTY is for $8 on gog now, holy poo poo

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So it turns out this game is excellent, and I kind of wish I knew that six years ago but I wouldn't have been able to play it until it was on the Switch anyway.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

YggiDee posted:

So it turns out this game is excellent, and I kind of wish I knew that six years ago but I wouldn't have been able to play it until it was on the Switch anyway.

it's extremely good, and please keep posting as you play, the thread has kinda died after cyberpunk released.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

WoodrowSkillson posted:

it's extremely good, and please keep posting as you play, the thread has kinda died after cyberpunk released.

Kinda wish I considered that 165 hours ago, I just hit the final credits :v:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

YggiDee posted:

of the main story or the DLCs?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

YggiDee posted:

Final credits or Blood and Wine final credits?

Or, completionist 10 year anniversary thank you video final credits?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Both. I am retired in a vineyard, drinking wine someone named after me.

Okay, actually after the last set of credits finished, I wandered off to do some more sidequests and then I immediately rolled off a cliff by accident and died. I figure that's the ghosts of CDPR telling me to stop.

Here lies Geralt, he beat the devil and some vampires and whatever the gently caress the groundskeeper was but I guess weak ankles did him in

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

YggiDee posted:

Both. I am retired in a vineyard, drinking wine someone named after me.

Okay, actually after the last set of credits finished, I wandered off to do some more sidequests and then I immediately rolled off a cliff by accident and died. I figure that's the ghosts of CDPR telling me to stop.

Here lies Geralt, he beat the devil and some vampires and whatever the gently caress the groundskeeper was but I guess weak ankles did him in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgqz8Je7P0s

Geralt is fine.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm actually partway through Hearts of Stone right now and I have to say this poo poo is awesome. Gaunter O'Dimm is sus as all hell but in an as yet unclear way, and Olgierd is a fantastic character, just living his best minor gentry turned cossack mercenary or whatever. Olgierd in particular (minus whatever magical curse is surely involved) is the type of warrior aristocracy that should be far more common in the setting.

Which brings me to something that I think the game misses hard on: the character models for the Bloody Baron and Dandelion. Now I haven't read the books, so I have no idea if these characters are depicted the way they're written there, but:
  • The Bloody Baron: Granted it's amazing that the voice actor for this guy is doing his best Mark Addy as Robert Baratheon impression, but I really wish they'd made his character model more attractive? I get the sense that this guy was active and successful military field commander just weeks before the present, yet he looks like he's been idle and useless for years by the time Geralt meets him. I think the lovely nature of his character would work better if the player was initially greeted by a charismatic and energetic commander on first meeting.
  • Dandelion on the other hand I feel like is coded way too young? As far as I can tell he's supposed to be pushing 40, but his character model looks like he's 25.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 9, 2021

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Dandelion moisturizes. Alternately, he fell into a 'fountain-of-moderately-delayed-ageing' and there's a running bet on how long it takes Geralt to notice.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dandelion is on the wrong side of 40, looks like he's 20 and acts like he's 10.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

PittTheElder posted:

I'm actually partway through Hearts of Stone right now and I have to say this poo poo is awesome. Gaunter O'Dimm is sus as all hell but in an as yet unclear way, and Olgierd is a fantastic character, just living his best minor gentry turned cossack mercenary or whatever. Olgierd in particular (minus whatever magical curse is surely involved) is the type of warrior aristocracy that should be far more common in the setting.

Which brings me to something that I think the game misses hard on: the character models for the Bloody Baron and Dandelion. Now I haven't read the books, so I have no idea if these characters are depicted the way they're written there, but:
  • The Bloody Baron: Granted it's amazing that the voice actor for this guy is doing his best Mark Addy as Robert Baratheon impression, but I really wish they'd made his character model more attractive? I get the sense that this guy was active and successful military field commander just weeks before the present, yet he looks like he's been idle and useless for years by the time Geralt meets him. I think the lovely nature of his character would work better if the player was initially greeted by a charismatic and energetic commander on first meeting.
  • Dandelion on the other hand I feel like is coded way too young? As far as I can tell he's supposed to be pushing 40, but his character model looks like he's 25.

Gaunter O'Dimm is indeed sus as hell and his nature will become very apparent if it hasn't already.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Dandelion is on the wrong side of 40, looks like he's 20 and acts like he's 10.

The quote from Blood of Elves:

quote:

"Dandelion, you thick-headed halfwit. You unmitigated dunce. Do you have to spoil everything you touch? Couldn't you, just once in your life, do something right? I know you can't think for yourself. I know you're almost forty, look almost thirty, think you're just over twenty and act as though you're barely ten."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

YggiDee posted:

Nah. The greatest thing about waiting to play awesome games is how much cheaper they are by the time you get to them and how many of the bugs they've worked out. This strategy has served me well and has really done wonders for my gaming budget and kept me from wasting probably thousands of dollars over the years/

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

The baron has been there a few months, but he rapidly descended into banditry following Temeria's initial defeat at the start of the third war. He was already a bandit before the fighting in Velen happened. He moved in after the Nilfgaardians conquered White Orchard after they smashed the rest of the Temerian Army, Strenger included. He then set up in Crow's Perch and pledged allegiance to Nilfgaard, so they were not attacked when the Redanians and Nilfgaardians fought there. He has been a bandit for a little under a year by the time Geralt meets him, plenty of time to go from a portly but competent field commander to a drunken slob.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wait, how long ago did the Nilfgaardian Army reach Velen? It really looks feels like that whole situation is less than a month old, with the battle in White Orchard barely occurring beforehand.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Aedirn and Rivia fall in late 1271/early 1272, and Temeria's army is defeated in the field shortly thereafter, which is when the Baron is left without an army, and his unit turns to banditry. He makes his way into Velen, which is leaderless following the collapse of the Temerian state. White orchard is officially conquered in late May after a battle between the Nilfgaardians and what remnants of the Temerian army could be mustered. The battle in Velen is between Redania and Nilfgaard, and that happens after the battle of white orchard. Since the Baron is already in power there and pledged to Nilfgaard, he is left alone. Geralt is lagging behind those events due to travel time. He gets the white orchard not long after the battle there, but then has to travel to Vizima with Yennefer, and then to Velen. There also has been enough time for the Baron's daughter to to have been recruited by the witch hunters, and Anna has been in the swamp for at least a fair amount of time before Geralt arrives.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought the battle in Velen happened in the late winter early spring and when it began to thaw out the fighting stopped because the whole place was a bog. It's definitely been a few months stalemate.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

I thought the battle in Velen happened in the late winter early spring and when it began to thaw out the fighting stopped because the whole place was a bog. It's definitely been a few months stalemate.

It's hard to determine, this is just how i interpreted everything. Regardless, the Baron has been there at least a few months, and a bandit longer, so to the OP's point about his appearance, he has had time to get sloppy af.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Some welcome casting news for the show:

https://twitter.com/RedanianIntel/status/1371841385947598851

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Just that headshot has Phillipa written all over it! Beautiful, regal, and unfuckwithable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm happy they're keeping Philippa rather than rolling Tissaia and Philippa into a single role.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm happy they're keeping Philippa rather than rolling Tissaia and Philippa into a single role.

I'm fully expecting Tissaia to off herself book-style to add some gravitas to Yen. We shall see.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Bought this game when it first came out. Bounced off it within 2 hours, it was just boring. Just started it again the other day, about 8 hours into it now, and it's unbelievably good.

Will installing a graphics mod run any risk of breaking my save-games?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
No. I have something like 100 mods installed and it's stable as hell.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Toussaint is rad as balls. I am already over the North

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

chaosapiant posted:

Just that headshot has Phillipa written all over it! Beautiful, regal, and unfuckwithable.

Too many eyes, 2/10

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Sup folks, I am contemplating a replay of this game and need some mod recs, but the modspost in the OP is from 2017 lol

Post at me about the good mods thanks and gobbless

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No Levels. Makes all the equipment usable off the bat with scaling more akin to Fallout rather than having multiple versions of the same armournwith moderately better stats at higher levels. Still makes unique items and Witcher gear superior but it encourages you to actually use rare swords rather than just Iris and Aerondight.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
This is awesome and a lot of fun.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/5007

Auto apply oils is a must have imo.

Coloured map markers.

Friendly wolves if you're as sick of fighting wolves in video games as I am.

Gwent deluxe makes gwent a little more interesting.

HD reworked and nitpickers for graphics.

All quest objectives on map.

No mud/water/blood/toxicity on screen. Someone needs to talk to CDPR about putting loving screen filters on their games. They've got that stupid dark haze when you sneak in Cyberpunk too.

No fall damage.

And whatever petko wind is called on the nexus because that makes the wind effects a little less over the top.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Arcsquad12 posted:

No Levels. Makes all the equipment usable off the bat with scaling more akin to Fallout rather than having multiple versions of the same armournwith moderately better stats at higher levels. Still makes unique items and Witcher gear superior but it encourages you to actually use rare swords rather than just Iris and Aerondight.

Yeah either this or Ghost Mode so you can either eliminate levels or make everything scale to your level. That way you can do stuff in whatever order you like.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Sup folks, I am contemplating a replay of this game and need some mod recs, but the modspost in the OP is from 2017 lol

Post at me about the good mods thanks and gobbless

Mods you definitely should not play without:

FCR3 (assuming you aren't running some other balance mod), with Reduced Junk Loot
Friendly HUD
Colored Map Markers
All Quest Objectives on Map
Friendly Meditation
No Fall Damage
Jump in Shallow Water
Next Gen Haystacks
Beautiful Grass V3
All NPC Scabbards

On top of that, you should also disable your position tracking (and just generally avoid fast travel, the world is legit more fun when you travel around it):
Disable Player Pos
Minimap Reworked (using the clock only file)

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I was scoping FCR, liked most of what I saw, though no levels intrigues me too

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I've never tried FCR3 might on my inevitable next playthrough!

Don't do Enhanced Edition though. Unless they changed it a ton it plays very different from the base game you'll need to relearn a ton. It's very tryhard. You even have to farm ingredients to craft charges of alchemy items, there's no "container item refilled with alcohol on meditation" which loving sucks. gently caress grinding.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah FCR is great, and all the changes just make sense. I would even tell even a brand new player to use it.