Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I suppose it’s arguably the same thing but for some reason I much prefer having jobs/buildings/whatever that reduce the sprawl of various categories rather than slowly building an entire planet into the paper pushing center of my empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I am interested in PLANETARY ASCENSION

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Anno posted:

Some pretty extensive changes. I’m glad they’re going to do an open beta for balancing feedback.

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1481597128422182920

Yeah, that's a lot big changes. They sound good to me in theory though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

quote:

All means of increasing Administrative Capacity have been removed. While there are ways to reduce the Empire Sprawl generated by various sources, and this will be used to help differentiate gameplay between different empire types, empires will no longer be able to completely mitigate sprawl penalties.
:toot:

I really like what they're doing to codify the differences between influence and unity. Influence from fleet power is interesting.

Bureaucrats being your primary unity producers feels gross to me for purely flavour reasons but otherwise looks super good.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Splicer posted:

Bureaucrats being your primary unity producers feels gross to me for purely flavour reasons but otherwise looks super good.

The more bureaucrats there are, the more united people are in their hatred of bureaucracy.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Good change, I always found it conceptually weird that I can just neutralize all the problems of a sprawling mega-empire by hiring more bureaucrats and stuffing them into more buildings dedicated to government work.

As my own country proves, more people working in government doesn't equal more efficiency, there's a serious amount of diminishing returns going on there Stellaris just ignored. :v:

Edit:

But what a bureaucracy can do very well is crush all dissent and worm their way into all levels of society, so them now producing unity is very fitting!

Libluini fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 13, 2022

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Splicer posted:

:toot:

They should be unique to empires with the Byzantine Bureaucracy civic, because then it would actually start making sense.

Anno
May 10, 2017

It’s exciting that the curator program gets to do these pretty large changes. When it was announced I thought it was going to be mostly bug/balance/AI stuff with some small content additions, and all of that has been good and cool, but this is even more so.

Also, zombie pops? https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/what-have-they-done.1506492/

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
They're pretty much changing Unity from being culture to an "internal politics currency" counterpart to Influence as an "external politics currency" rather than general political capital. I think this is good, overall.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I like the Feudal Society change. I'll probably never play it, but any civics that change the game mechanics in an interesting way is awesome in my book. Influence from fleet power is interesting and makes some sense, as an empire with a strong fleet patrolling its space could expand/lay claims to territory a bit easier.

Other than that, I'm not sure why they're adding an "edict fund" system instead of just making the bonus Edict cost reduction of some sort, which seems needlessly complicated, but there may be more going on there I'm not getting.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The edict fund does seem... weird. They even call out that one civic's whole thing is going to be the fund and that it's a "use it or lose it" thing, and tbh I don't need the kind of stress that PTO and health flex spending accounts bring in my video games.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Kaal posted:

I'm glad they're doing a beta as well. They must be playing a completely different game than me if "underpowered tall empires" are the biggest problem right now. There is already hardly any reason to leave your core systems.

multiplayer balancing remains the bane of the game

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

The edict fund does seem... weird. They even call out that one civic's whole thing is going to be the fund and that it's a "use it or lose it" thing, and tbh I don't need the kind of stress that PTO and health flex spending accounts bring in my video games.
It just means you get a certain amount of "free" edict mana. Like if you have 100 edict mana a month and edicts cost 45 unity a month then running 0 or 1 edicts is just throwing money away, running 2 or 3 is the no brainer option, and running 4+ depends on the situation.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Splicer posted:

It just means you get a certain amount of "free" edict mana. Like if you have 100 edict mana a month and edicts cost 45 unity a month then running 0 or 1 edicts is just throwing money away, running 2 or 3 is the no brainer option, and running 4+ depends on the situation.

0 to 1 just means more pampering for the god emperor

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 13, 2022

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Relevant Tangent posted:

multiplayer balancing remains the bane of the game

Probably very true. There's plenty of 4X folks who want to just tech straight up, and never get pushed to expand. Void Dwellers, Inward Perfection, etc. seems like they already really meet that play-style, but I'm sure there's plenty of push to make them even more competitive. It all just strikes me as a bit flip-floppy. They've done so many reworks of the unity, edict, and admin capacity systems, and while I'm not opposed to what they're talking about it doesn't seem all that critical to go back and refresh them yet again. Whereas the trade, crime, cohesion, and piracy systems remain basically vestigial and could really use an update.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Does cohesion even still exist? I haven't thought about that one in ages. I think it was even removed at some point?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Libluini posted:

Does cohesion even still exist? I haven't thought about that one in ages. I think it was even removed at some point?

It was removed in 2.6.1, and then they brought the concept to Federation cohesion.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah it looks like they're moving towards the capacity type system that we've seen in Vicky 3 Dev Diaries, as opposed to the mana bank system of EU4, which is actually very cool and good imo

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah it looks like they're moving towards the capacity type system that we've seen in Vicky 3 Dev Diaries, as opposed to the mana bank system of EU4, which is actually very cool and good imo

That makes sense since there are a bunch of bits of Vicky 3 which seem like they came from either positive or negative lessons from Stellaris, I’m just really glad they’re doing it.

Seems to me like the Custodian Team is frankly the best thing ever to happen to Stellaris!

Anno
May 10, 2017

LonsomeSon posted:

Seems to me like the Custodian Team is frankly the best thing ever to happen to Stellaris!

:yeah:

I really hope it’s seen as successful by Paradox, because 1) it’s really rejuvenated my hype for the future of Stellaris and 2) I want all of their games to have a similar thing after they’ve been out a couple years. Imagine how much EU4 could benefit from a similar effort.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Anno posted:

:yeah:

I really hope it’s seen as successful by Paradox, because 1) it’s really rejuvenated my hype for the future of Stellaris and 2) I want all of their games to have a similar thing after they’ve been out a couple years. Imagine how much EU4 could benefit from a similar effort.

Same.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The fact that Aquatics apparently sold better than all other species packs is a good sign, given that it's the first dlc release since custodian updates began. Always good to have some dollar signs to point at.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I'm glad that they're refining the various currencies. Building Unity or fiddling around with faction support has been the last thing on my mind for the last few games.

Minmaxing internal politics gives a fraction of the benefits of ignoring the vox populi and emphasizing nothing but infrastructure and ship production.

There's a metaphor here I'm refusing to acknowledge.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

MadJackal posted:

There's a metaphor here I'm refusing to acknowledge.

at least you know why the galaxy only has decaying and new empires at start :v:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
At least in Stellaris infrastructure is spent on and the money actually get to where it's needed. Although there as here healthcare is for some reason seen as worthless.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloodly posted:

At least in Stellaris infrastructure is spent on and the money actually get to where it's needed. Although there as here healthcare is for some reason seen as worthless.

If anything "realistic" gene clinics should reduce growth rates.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

If they're going to give me a penalty for leaders they'd better let me murder the ones who get bad traits.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Never was a fan of "culture farms/planets," honestly. Like, there's deffo a charm to turning a hunk of worthless space rock into a bureaucratic hell world, but I can't suspend my disbelief for a planet that pumps out Space Culture like it was a fuckin' factory.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

but I can't suspend my disbelief for a planet that pumps out Space Culture like it was a fuckin' factory.

And Alderaan's not far away, its Californication.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Never was a fan of "culture farms/planets," honestly. Like, there's deffo a charm to turning a hunk of worthless space rock into a bureaucratic hell world, but I can't suspend my disbelief for a planet that pumps out Space Culture like it was a fuckin' factory.

Isn't this kinda accurate though? Individual cities/states have more cultural influence than others, both on a regional and global basis. NYC, LA, Tokyo, etc. are all cultural powerhouses relative to their nations/regions. The idea that one ecumenopolis with 10% of my pops is generating 60% of my empire's most-viewed holo-vids doesn't seem that crazy.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Look, when you can build a ring world the issue is less securing living space and more finding a way to fill it. I don't play slavers/despoilers, so we gotta fill up all of the space condos somehow

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

toasterwarrior posted:

It kinda makes sense if you think about it like all your artists getting thrown together in a room and now they're constantly trying to one-up each other. Or maybe it's just a planet scale movie set pumping out blockbusters nonstop.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Look, when you can build a ring world the issue is less securing living space and more finding a way to fill it. I don't play slavers/despoilers, so we gotta fill up all of the space condos somehow

Just want to be able to set a standing buy order for slaves to liberate into the forge and factory workforce

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

LonsomeSon posted:

Just want to be able to set a standing buy order for slaves to liberate into the forge and factory workforce

Yeah, an "auto-buy primary species slaves" would be great. Notification spam remains one of the more annoying late-game issues.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

isndl posted:

It kinda makes sense if you think about it like all your artists getting thrown together in a room and now they're constantly trying to one-up each other. Or maybe it's just a planet scale movie set pumping out blockbusters nonstop.

A planet covered in nothing but twitch streamers.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Shadowlyger posted:

We regret to inform you that the source code for Stellaris has committed suicide

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Shadowlyger posted:

New doomsday weapon: A giant speaker that blasts copyrighted music onto the planet.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Leal posted:

New doomsday weapon: A giant speaker that blasts copyrighted music onto the planet.

New CB: Stop Music Piracy/Information Wants To Be Free!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Isn't this kinda accurate though? Individual cities/states have more cultural influence than others, both on a regional and global basis. NYC, LA, Tokyo, etc. are all cultural powerhouses relative to their nations/regions. The idea that one ecumenopolis with 10% of my pops is generating 60% of my empire's most-viewed holo-vids doesn't seem that crazy.

Yeah but there's more to these cities than generating culture. Culture workers making just unity and a trickle of society research for the longest time wasn't exactly compelling nor convincing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

hobbesmaster posted:

I guess that depends on what you're doing with the genes.

Octuplets for everyone!