Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Nice! Very reminiscent of that Space Skulls set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

This is amazing and I'd build it in a heartbeat.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Carbohydrates posted:

Hey, anybody know of any really high quality printers that can make me a finely detailed sticker sheet?

Looking great, as always.

I used this waterslide decal paper and went to kinkos and was pretty pleased with the results. However to print what you have now, you'd need to find somewhere that could do white ink. Also you have some running across multiple pieces, and I never tried that. I used a program called Inkscape to size the images and convert the file to a pdf. Tip: put extras of what you need on the file, and make duplicates at slightly different sizes to account for different printer settings. If I need one sticker for something, I'll put 2 copies in inkscape, and the duplicate those at 94%, 97%, 103%, and 106% of the dimensions I measured. You end up with a ton that you don't use, but the ones you get a the perfect size.

Vinyl cutting or rub-on decals might get better results, but I haven't tried those.

Carbohydrates posted:

I'm actually really enjoying making graphics for some of these.
I found making stickers to be lots of fun too, they add so much to a build.

Edit: Here's a link to the album of my Ecto 1A that I used a lot of stickers in, if anybody wants to see how they turned out. https://imgur.com/a/Pw8QBL2

deoju fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 9, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rumours of a big $300 Daily Bugle set are swirling (76178).

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

deoju posted:

Edit: Here's a link to the album of my Ecto 1A that I used a lot of stickers in, if anybody wants to see how they turned out. https://imgur.com/a/Pw8QBL2
That looks amazing, and thanks so much for the advice.

streaming about building cars in 25 mins!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
'63 Chevy Nova gasser

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

deoju posted:

I did some more work on the spinner... It looks pretty good from the front, and the doors open, but the rear end looks bad, and I can't get all the pieces in the right colors.

I saw this one just now on FB and thought of you (I appreciate it’s the wrong spinner):

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Thanks. I haven't seen that one before. I've got the one made by Ichiban Toys 5 years ago or so. I was just fiddling with it last night in fact. It's kind of delicate and can't fit a minifig, so that one is a step up.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
some minor tweaks + GRAPHICS

This one's got a lot of references/easter eggs, too.

- The car's number, 541, is a reference to 1995's 5541: Blue Fury
- The name "Well Played" is a reference to the origin of the name LEGO, which comes from the Danish words "leg godt," meaning "play well."
- Brick Street Custom is a speed shop from the Tiny Turbos line - 2008's 8154: Brick Street Customs
- The axle company, Cross, is advertised on the legs of 2018's 71021-13: Race Car Guy. "Cross axle" is the shape of a Technic axle.
- The other two part companies, "Cams - Red Bird" and "Pistons - Rally," are references to the first sets that the cam and piston pieces appeared in: 1994's Mach II Red Bird Rig and 1990's Rally Support Truck, respectively.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Those are sick as always, but "well played" just makes me think of Hearthstone lol.

Also, weird, the Porche comes in a box with the push-tabs rather then taped flaps. Feel like I've never seen that for any set above 20-30$?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Oxyclean posted:

Also, weird, the Porche comes in a box with the push-tabs rather then taped flaps. Feel like I've never seen that for any set above 20-30$?

I don't remember 100% about the Beetle and the bus but the Mustang has push tabs too.

Content: The Spring Lantern festival is such a great little set, totally worth it. The weird colored pieces someone noted broke up the monotony and made it a lot easier to put together IMO. I dig it and hope they do more modular Chinese New Year stuff in the coming years. I briefly thought about buying more Spring Lantern festivals and plugging them to form a big square thingy but that seemed excessive. :v:

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...
The Carnage “helmet” is available for pre-order on both Shop at Home and Target websites. Will ship on April 11.

Looks pretty good. I hope they do ones for various other Spider-people.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Blacksmith and Amelia sets arrived today. Once the rain keeps me from going outside I intend on putting together that Blacksmith set. The Amelia one is a Christmas gift. Looks like there's still Amelia sets if you wanted one. Would have thought they'd be sold out by now.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Carbohydrates posted:

some minor tweaks + GRAPHICS

This one's got a lot of references/easter eggs, too.

- The car's number, 541, is a reference to 1995's 5541: Blue Fury
- The name "Well Played" is a reference to the origin of the name LEGO, which comes from the Danish words "leg godt," meaning "play well."
- Brick Street Custom is a speed shop from the Tiny Turbos line - 2008's 8154: Brick Street Customs
- The axle company, Cross, is advertised on the legs of 2018's 71021-13: Race Car Guy. "Cross axle" is the shape of a Technic axle.
- The other two part companies, "Cams - Red Bird" and "Pistons - Rally," are references to the first sets that the cam and piston pieces appeared in: 1994's Mach II Red Bird Rig and 1990's Rally Support Truck, respectively.

These are fantastic.

Also, I've gone through a number of sets recently and marveled at how some of the pieces connect for form the shape/layout. Your stream on the cars was really interesting and seeing the options for filling in the wheel well translates a lot to the official sets.

Similarly, I tried ordering pieces to make the speeder bike that Vostroyan posted. Ordering piece parts from bricklink takes a lot of babysitting. I thought the "feed shopping list" would be great, but it didn't get a bunch of the pieces the first time, and on reordering, someone sent a different color angle bit, and either I picked the wrong bar or someone sent the wrong bar, but some of the connections don't work because there are different thickness bars. At least it's not just me being bad at directions.

I really need to get some shelves put up.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Alarbus posted:

These are fantastic.

Also, I've gone through a number of sets recently and marveled at how some of the pieces connect for form the shape/layout. Your stream on the cars was really interesting and seeing the options for filling in the wheel well translates a lot to the official sets.

Similarly, I tried ordering pieces to make the speeder bike that Vostroyan posted. Ordering piece parts from bricklink takes a lot of babysitting. I thought the "feed shopping list" would be great, but it didn't get a bunch of the pieces the first time, and on reordering, someone sent a different color angle bit, and either I picked the wrong bar or someone sent the wrong bar, but some of the connections don't work because there are different thickness bars. At least it's not just me being bad at directions.

I really need to get some shelves put up.

Hey, which bar connection didn't work for you out of curiosity? Cause the bars are all the same thickness, unless you mean length?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hey, which bar connection didn't work for you out of curiosity? Cause the bars are all the same thickness, unless you mean length?

Steps 12 and 14, and 19 and 23.

With 19/23, I tried a black lightsaber I got in a recent box, and it worked better, but the pieces I got via bricklink did not fit.

With 12/14, I assume the handle of the paddle (32828) goes into the tubes of the technic connector (32138)? I can't get it to fit.

I can get some photos later.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Alarbus posted:

Steps 12 and 14, and 19 and 23.

With 19/23, I tried a black lightsaber I got in a recent box, and it worked better, but the pieces I got via bricklink did not fit.

With 12/14, I assume the handle of the paddle (32828) goes into the tubes of the technic connector (32138)? I can't get it to fit.

I can get some photos later.

Ahhhhh, ok so what I suspect has happened is that the seller that sold you piece 32138 has actually sent you 65098 instead, which is a new piece that appears to be a variant. They're not interchangeable it would seem.

e: I've updated the rebrickable description to warn folks against the perils of accidentally ordering the wrong piece. Thanks

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 12, 2021

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Lizard Combatant posted:

Ahhhhh, ok so what I suspect has happened is that the seller that sold you piece 32138 has actually sent you 65098 instead, which is a new piece that appears to be a variant. They're not interchangeable it would seem.

Well one sent me a much more red version of the smooth angle pieces, so I'll just get another order going at some point.

I hadn't considered the technic piece to be the problem but that makes a lot of sense.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I'm doing a 3,000 piece knockoff Lego build over the next few days starting now on my twitch if anyone wants to watch.

https://www.twitch.tv/rodshaftmd

I know supporting the Chinese companies is a polarizing subject here so here's my disclaimer.

It's the famicom with the moving Contra screen TV build. I'm not going to link it. But there's only one out there for sale like that. As far as I can tell it's not the same famicom as other mocs I looked up. The TV also looks original. The internal is also different from the official one because they didn't use any of the new parts. However if any of these designs are stolen, link me to them and I will purchase them from the original author.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The design is by GS_acgshow, but since it's not on rebrickable, it's hard to tell of they licensed it from them (because it's hard to ask them directly)...could be, as it seems they are a chinese designer?

e: nope, it's stolen it's inspired by GS_acgshow's MoC. (then again, the basic idea of the Lego NES screen is also inspired by a MoC...or was it an ideas entry?), but I can't find a way to buy any instructions, seems it was an entry for a competition, and I can't find a way to contact them as I don't speak chinese, sadly.

They did modify it though, a lot. The original MoC didn't have the moving screen for example. So I'd actually call it "inspired", not stolen (just edited my post after researching a bit more).

tuo fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 12, 2021

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
A Famicom would be tight. :v:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

tuo posted:

(then again, the basic idea of the Lego NES screen is also inspired by a MoC...or was it an ideas entry?)
You should probably read this, starting at the "CAUTION! Controversy ahead!" section. Tl;DR it was almost certainly a case of simultaneous invention, not idea theft.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1370200113977700354?s=19

Made me lol.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I did appreciate that the Bionicle Army came out in support of justice last summer

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

tuo posted:

The design is by GS_acgshow, but since it's not on rebrickable, it's hard to tell of they licensed it from them (because it's hard to ask them directly)...could be, as it seems they are a chinese designer?

e: nope, it's stolen it's inspired by GS_acgshow's MoC. (then again, the basic idea of the Lego NES screen is also inspired by a MoC...or was it an ideas entry?), but I can't find a way to buy any instructions, seems it was an entry for a competition, and I can't find a way to contact them as I don't speak chinese, sadly.

They did modify it though, a lot. The original MoC didn't have the moving screen for example. So I'd actually call it "inspired", not stolen (just edited my post after researching a bit more).

Yeah, the TV set is only similar in that it's a TV set. It looks like the internals on the famicom are different as well. Can't tell on the cartridge and controllers but I'll report back when I get to those. The controllers look identical from the lil thumbnail photos though.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I know I said this before, but I'm a massive nerd for Ghostbusters. I made Ray's bookstore in stud.io. I put in a few references to the movies. Here's an imgur album.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
Did they annonce the winner of the popularity contest? Did Bionicle win?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Carbohydrates posted:

You should probably read this, starting at the "CAUTION! Controversy ahead!" section. Tl;DR it was almost certainly a case of simultaneous invention, not idea theft.

Yeah, I'm aware of that article, and I'm absolutely sure Lego wouldn't be dumb enough to actually copy the design from someone. But it highlights the intrinsic problem of brick designs, that people might come up with a similar idea, because you only have so many ways to solve a problem. There was an interview with the MoC designer (which is no longer online, iirc, but I'll check archive.org) where he thought they copied him. Again, Lego wouldn't be that stupid.

Same goes for the actually good chinese companies. Mould King used to reverse engineer MoCs (even making them better sometimes), but it's still basically a copy...(or is it inspired by?), but they are moving away from that and are licensing the designs now.

But I know, it's the topic that's hard to discuss, as both sides are dug in deep, sadly.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

deoju posted:

I know I said this before, but I'm a massive nerd for Ghostbusters. I made Ray's bookstore in stud.io. I put in a few references to the movies. Here's an imgur album.

I love it! My best to the coven! The IDW comics have Kylie as Ray's assistant at the bookstore, if you wanted to include other minifigs.

And you can have a new Fearsome Flush!

https://twitter.com/protoncharging/status/1370487977609101312?s=20

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Thanks!

I saw that in the action figure thread! Definitely gonna pick that up and show my mom. :smug: *

Even though I've only seen a few of the episodes, I'd like to cobble together the Ghostbusters Extreme crew eventually.

*Edit: I realized that sounds weird. In case anybody didn't click on or read the comments in my imgur album, my mom refused to by me the haunted toilet as a kid because she thought "it encourages toilet humor."

deoju fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 12, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The only way I can make sense of Brickset's review aggregator is that it's designed by a video game reviewer. I was looking at reviews of the Apollo lander and got things like this:

THUMBS SIDEWAYS posted:

this is truly an outstanding set and I highly recommend this to anyone with an interest in Space, the moon landings, or if you just want set that’s just designed remarkably well."

4.1 / 5? THUMBS DOWN

Feels like anything under 9/10 is considered a mixed review which is insane.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Feels like anything under 9/10 is considered a mixed review which is insane.
That's how anything on a 1-10 scale works, hah. If your job rates you by guest surveys, it's likely that 10 is the only acceptable score. A 9 is a problem. Gotta love it!

streaming in 10 mins

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Carbohydrates posted:

That's how anything on a 1-10 scale works, hah. If your job rates you by guest surveys, it's likely that 10 is the only acceptable score. A 9 is a problem. Gotta love it!

But compare to other aggregators. Rottentomatoes has 60% as the good/bad threshold, and as ridiculous as videogame reviews are Metacritic still breaks things up at 50 and 70%.

Meanwhile Brickset is treating people as if they are reviewing Uber drivers, despite the reviewers clearly not having that mindset.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

But compare to other aggregators. Rottentomatoes has 60% as the good/bad threshold, and as ridiculous as videogame reviews are Metacritic still breaks things up at 50 and 70%.

Meanwhile Brickset is treating people as if they are reviewing Uber drivers, despite the reviewers clearly not having that mindset.
Yeah, I mean that's a fair point for sure. I guess I'm being flippant because review aggregators mean nothing to me. Numeric reviews for most things, a LEGO set in particular, seem silly. I understand the value sometimes in quickly quantifying a general opinion, but LEGO as a product doesn't seem particularly well suited to the format in my opinion. That said, I know this isn't an excuse for Brickset's working in a dumb way regardless.

Enough words, have a truck. Marty's 1985 Toyota Hilux 4x4 - obviously the most iconic car from BTTF, we can all agree. This may be the fastest I've gone from an idea to a completed model. I was playing with a suspension idea when lizard combatant said I should try implementing it in a hilux, which made me immediately start working on ideas to build its unique fenders. Once I started on that, I basically didn't stop until it was done. This thing goes together like an absolute puzzle, full of sub assemblies within sub assemblies. It uses 44 black brackets (and some SNOT bricks) to hold everything together. Each wheel has suspension using 4 of these.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

You should do Young Biff's car next, with a covered in manure variant :v:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Carbohydrates posted:

obviously the most iconic car from BTTF, we can all agree.

Yes but ONLY because trains aren't cars.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Check out that 4x4! That is hot.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

CommanderApaul posted:

Zane's Mech has actual working knees and the mechanism is ingenious.

The piston-y supports are so cool!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lego Ideas Space vote is going on. I like the Mars Research Biodome because it’s clearly very Martian influenced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
We put together the city cargo train with the bluetooth controller so at least now I have one properly working train. My 1 year old loves watching it go around so it's a lot of fun. While we were making it though, the box art is laid out such that it looks like there's a wall behind the scene, with a minifig giant peering over it, which I joked to my wife is the lego god, constantly watching everything happening in the lego city universe. So later I cut him off of the box from a set of expansion track I had and stuck him to her nightstand lamp so she'd see this when she went to bed.

Lego god is classy and wears a tie to work.

Also we started the Millennium Falcon tonight and managed to just do bag 1 of 17 while watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail, so pretty good weekend so far. Definitely gonna need to buy a stand for this beast.