Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just hearing about it has caused me to be born again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Yaint never lived until you seen a muscled man glorify our lord and savior Jesus Christ through feats of strength like:

• bending rebar
  • phone book tearing
  • blowing up hot water bottle until it burst
  • cinder block breaking with arm or forehead

Can I get an amen?

When they came to my middle school to do their show they (barely) managed to avoid doing an actual altar call in a public school, but despite hyping it up for 45 minutes they never actually got around to tearing the phone book in half either. I don't think they even talked about any of those other stunts.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Yaint never lived until you seen a muscled man glorify our lord and savior Jesus Christ through feats of strength like:

• bending rebar
  • phone book tearing
  • blowing up hot water bottle until it burst
  • cinder block breaking with arm or forehead

Can I get an amen?

I too watch Righteous Gemstones

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You realize that the show based that on real muscle men who did feats of strength for the lord, right?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

You realize that the show based that on real muscle men who did feats of strength for the lord, right?

Yea 🙌

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i remember the power team came to anderson mill baptist in ~1991, i must've been first grade. even then i thought it was lame that they left the ice blocks dripping all show and used the more melted ones in the climax

one other stunt nobody mentioned yet was blowing into a hot water bottle until it exploded

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I saw the power team at Great Hills Baptist Church maybe even that same year and the main things I remember are “Preacher” O’Chester being involved in the bed of nails + ice block crush stunt, and a guy tearing a bunch of phone books in half with his bare hands which honestly still impresses me to this day.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
We had the power team at our public school but it wasn't about the lord, it was about not doing drugs.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Baggot posted:

I saw the power team at Great Hills Baptist Church maybe even that same year and the main things I remember are “Preacher” O’Chester being involved in the bed of nails + ice block crush stunt, and a guy tearing a bunch of phone books in half with his bare hands which honestly still impresses me to this day.

Not that it's the easiest thing in the world, but it is far more technique than strength to do it, so don't let it impress you too much.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
This is a universal experience? In 2008 or so, we had a power team show up at our high school for an assembly. I heard they were also doing church shows.

They couldn't explicitly promote religion at public school. But they did start strong with a message about believing in yourself, then completely lose the crowd of 16-18 year olds by shaming any girl who wasn't a virgin. I remember the story for that lesson was some girl being made fun of for being a virgin by the cool girls, then her saying back "I could have what you have in a minute, but you can never have what I have."

I was already a goon by that point so obviously I was still a virgin, but I was still offended on behalf of my sexually active friends.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
What is a “phone book”

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
We only ever got dance teams but they were also Christian but would only do secular stuff about not doing drugs and then at the end be like "We got some Christian stuff. You're not required to stay for it; you're totally free to go back to class rather than watch the religious stuff," which no one would do because you'd be outed as a filthy atheist and also would have to spend more time in class.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
All I ever got was the weirdo who promoted abstinence by saying he hosed a lot and then realized through Jesus that he needed to save himself for marriage to whatever woman he met at some point.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I remember 20-somethings coming to the cafeteria to promote their “youth group” and giving weird back massages to girls in class, saying “we’ll see y’all tonight at youth group right?” To everyone they could

We got free dominos pizza though!!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Lol I remember kids would try to get people to come to whatever church was around that was trying to be as big as Joel Osteens. They'd tell us that they had Xboxes and GameCubes and we should go check it out.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
I just remember the Power Team promo posters. "God makes you strong!"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
There were several of these at my school too. Thinly veiled anti-drug/abstinence rallies. Power lifters. The church right next to the school that hosted FREE LUNCH twice a week but required you to sit through a sermon before the food was handed out. Just a lot of coercive poo poo that we saw through even as teens.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

George H.W. oval office posted:

I too watch Righteous Gemstones

If by watch Righteous Gemstones you mean actually saw John Jacobs at TBNs studios off of airport freeway in Irving in the 90s, then yes.

Also, I do have HBO and Gemstones is a documentary.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gemstones is set, like all McBride joints, in SC, but the fact that it's so recognizable to us out here makes me think that it's a southern thing, and specifically a southern baptist thing. Even the methodists are southern baptists around here.

But what makes it ring so true is that like us, McBride and his people grew up with the same ridiculous muscular Christianity poo poo that we did.

MAGA really is just a pride movement for loving assholes. Dealer plates, natch.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 9, 2023

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
My biggest fear in life is not getting run over by a truck while riding my bike. It's actually getting run over by a truck while riding my bike and feeling truck nuts slapping my face before I die.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Captain Monkey posted:

There were several of these at my school too. Thinly veiled anti-drug/abstinence rallies. Power lifters. The church right next to the school that hosted FREE LUNCH twice a week but required you to sit through a sermon before the food was handed out. Just a lot of coercive poo poo that we saw through even as teens.

I got a lot of abstinence talk using the ol' tape demonstration, designed to shame the teenage girls exclusively.

Kyro
Aug 1, 2021

I sang Bye Bye Bye
and all I got was this
STUPID AVATAR

zoux posted:

MAGA really is just a pride movement for loving assholes. Dealer plates, natch.

White cis bigots were upset that minorities and LGBTQ+ get to have their own pride symbols, while all the white pride symbols get blasted for their attached historical racism. So MAGA types made up a bait-and-switch scheme to virtue signal their lovely beliefs without being called racist bigots—even though we all know they are

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

truck is too big imo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

truck is too big imo

sorry here

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

thanks 👍

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
The stars on the testes are a nice touch

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

jokes posted:

I got a lot of abstinence talk using the ol' tape demonstration, designed to shame the teenage girls exclusively.

It was chewing gum for me.

Arcella posted:

The stars on the testes are a nice touch

And yet this is the Lone Star State. :hmmwrong:

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

You can see the loophole the Houston City used to grab up the upper middle class running away from Downtown.

The trick was you could incorporate land around a city that has not yet been incorporate. Problem is you have to provide all city services to that area, like water, power, emergency eervices etc etc.

Someone thought, "hey lets just incorporate the land in the middle of our massive freeways and roads as we don't have to provide any of those city services because no one lives there."

This is why you see those runners leaving the Houston mass as they chased down people as they moved out to the suburbs.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

houston should annex bellaire, west u, and hedwig village

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

lobster shirt posted:

houston should annex bellaire, west u, and hedwig village

They can't due to the Texas charter as you cannot annex land and that has already been incorporated. Those were cities before Houston grew to touch them so the city just consumed all the land around them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's really insane that Houston is allowed to just keep expanding forever. You didn't meet this specific criteria in the allotted time frame? Too bad. Now your San Antonio suburb is in Houston.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The full Texas Tribune Festival program is out. Apparently one of their marquee events is a live recording of loving Bari Weiss's podcast.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Tormented posted:

They can't due to the Texas charter as you cannot annex land and that has already been incorporated. Those were cities before Houston grew to touch them so the city just consumed all the land around them.

how many divisions does bellaire have? its time to conquer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TSnyderDC/status/1689323047839309851

Legislature about to outlaw trains

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

The full Texas Tribune Festival program is out. Apparently one of their marquee events is a live recording of loving Bari Weiss's podcast.

oh look Jeffrey Toobin is back, maybe he can keep it in his pants this time

also I hate poo poo like this

quote:

The War Over School Choice
Four state lawmakers on whether compromise is possible.

Love to frame a fight between "eliminating public education" and "not doing that" as something that has a reasonable compromise where the truth lies somewhere in between.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

It's really insane that Houston is allowed to just keep expanding forever. You didn't meet this specific criteria in the allotted time frame? Too bad. Now your San Antonio suburb is in Houston.

wrong

aggressive annexation of white flight suburbs is good, actually

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

They should just vaporize all the municipalities and have everything done by counties imho

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Badger of Basra posted:

They should just vaporize all the municipalities and have everything done by counties imho

Historically has worked great in St. Louis.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i say swears online posted:

wrong

aggressive annexation of white flight suburbs is good, actually

correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

oh look Jeffrey Toobin is back, maybe he can keep it in his pants this time

also I hate poo poo like this

Love to frame a fight between "eliminating public education" and "not doing that" as something that has a reasonable compromise where the truth lies somewhere in between.

Look, buddy. It's all about choice. Rich people will be able to choose what private school they want their kids to go to. And poor people will get to choose to not have their children be educated because they can't afford any of the private schools. Also, the parents go to jail because we didn't get rid of the truancy laws.