Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Is this, like, rehearsal for the new OK Go video?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
trust goons to think that cats, which are animals that sleep 18 hours a day and only really require food and to be let outside once in while, are high maintenance

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

trust goons to think that cats, which are animals that sleep 18 hours a day and only really require food and to be let outside once in while, are high maintenance

Did I miss a post? I don't recall anyone loving saying this.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ewe2 posted:

counterpoint: had a cat who LOVED belly rubs, occasionally he wanted to play-bite but I'd just stop the rubs, so he learnt to stop with the biting. He'd stretch and do jazz paws :kimchi:

That is why I specifically said there were exceptions who like that. In the post you quoted. :colbert:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just to clear up a point.

Cats do not need to go outside
Cats should not be allowed to go outside
Your cat is not unhappy to be inside.

Your cat is a little furry genocide machine that murders the local wildlife and vastly shortens it's life with every trip outside.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Same but I don't let my cats outside because the world outside kept murdering my cats, so I don't let them outside because I'd rather lose them to old age or sickness than to a fucknugget with an rear end in a top hat of a dog or a dipshit who can't watch where he's driving :smith:

Two in two months is... just too many too quickly.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

trust goons to read a thread and then comment on something that didn't happen as if they're a goddamn zen teacher.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Oh sweet jesus!!!! :stonklol:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Turtlicious posted:

Just to clear up a point.

Cats do not need to go outside
Cats should not be allowed to go outside
Your cat is not unhappy to be inside.

Your cat is a little furry genocide machine that murders the local wildlife and vastly shortens it's life with every trip outside.
The outside killed my past two cats when they got out despite my best efforts, I'm certainly not going to willingly let a cat go outside. Maybe on a harness for a lawn field trip but that's supervised.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah some cats are gonna wash out

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Elizabethan Error posted:

trust goons to read a thread and then comment on something that didn't happen as if they're a goddamn zen teacher.

ok buddy

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Who the hell rides a bike with an open umbrella?

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

What a strange trick

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sad it’s staged, though.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
people actually keep their cat inside 24/7? woah. maybe if you live in a city in a apartment, but woah

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I live in an apartment was in a city. Cats never go outside and don't seem to care. I think the younger one might not even be aware there is an outside.

A few years back we rented a cabin and took the cat with us. One night we had him in a leash by the door open we could chill on the deck. H wriggled out of it and could've escaped into a wilderness filled with tasty birds. He chose to go back inside and lounge on the stairs in a very awkward position.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

PetraCore posted:

The outside killed my past two cats when they got out despite my best efforts, I'm certainly not going to willingly let a cat go outside. Maybe on a harness for a lawn field trip but that's supervised.

The sounds like a real pussy.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

datajugend posted:

people actually keep their cat inside 24/7? woah. maybe if you live in a city in a apartment, but woah
Letting cats go outside isn't just bad for the ecosystem (since they're very good predators who will hunt for fun instead of out of need) it's bad for them. One of my cats just vanished. Another got out and ate something that was poisoned. Cats get run over, attacked by dogs, hurt by other humans, or just plain get into situations they're not equipped to deal with. Since cats are small it's more than possible to give them an enriching, stimulating environment without ever letting them outside, and that's actually the kinder option for them because surprise! They're not humans! and they're not equipped to handle everything outside!

Cats are probably more capable on their own than dogs are, but even wild animals will live longer healthier lives in captivity than they do in the wild, because it turns out the wild actually objectively kind of loving sucks sometimes. In a similar manner, indoors cats live significantly longer than outdoors cats, because an outdoors cat might go out and be fine and have a good time 999 times out of 1000, but then that bad luck hits and they get hurt or die in a preventable manner. It's not fair to them.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

PetraCore posted:

Letting cats go outside isn't just bad for the ecosystem (since they're very good predators who will hunt for fun instead of out of need) it's bad for them. One of my cats just vanished. Another got out and ate something that was poisoned. Cats get run over, attacked by dogs, hurt by other humans, or just plain get into situations they're not equipped to deal with. Since cats are small it's more than possible to give them an enriching, stimulating environment without ever letting them outside, and that's actually the kinder option for them because surprise! They're not humans! and they're not equipped to handle everything outside!

Cats are probably more capable on their own than dogs are, but even wild animals will live longer healthier lives in captivity than they do in the wild, because it turns out the wild actually objectively kind of loving sucks sometimes. In a similar manner, indoors cats live significantly longer than outdoors cats, because an outdoors cat might go out and be fine and have a good time 999 times out of 1000, but then that bad luck hits and they get hurt or die in a preventable manner. It's not fair to them.

How is this anything different from a dog that’s not a marmaduke?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I've never let my dogs roam the great out doors on their own either? Plus most dogs can't jump fences.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Garrand posted:

I've never let my dogs roam the great out doors on their own either? Plus most dogs can't jump fences.

Your dog is :smith: go outside w a dog

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Garrand posted:

Air Bud could jump any fence he wants.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

PetraCore posted:

Letting cats go outside isn't just bad for the ecosystem (since they're very good predators who will hunt for fun instead of out of need)

That's what barn cats are for. Like, that is their specific purpose.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Burt Sexual posted:

It's way easier to keep a dog in your yard, although even then you shouldn't be leaving them out for long stretches completely unsupervised, like the people who tie their dogs up outside and just keep them there unsocialized are trash.

Even a fat and lazy cat can get out of a yard with little effort.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Burt Sexual posted:

Climbing. It's almost impossible to keep a cat inside a yard without specific, expensive netting over the top of the yard to make sure they can't get out, but a wooden fence six feet high will stop all but the most insanely athletic dogs from getting out.

Anyway, for some different schadenfreude today, YouTube's content ID algorithms get dumber by the minute.

Musician hit with copyright claims over 10 hours of white noise on YouTube

Dude makes some white noise soundtracks on his computer, uploads them to youtube, forgets about them, he gets five copyright strikes against the video from other white noise tracks.

I also like this little bit:

quote:

"There's a chance that [white noise is] not actually original enough to be copyrighted, and if it is original enough, then the protection would be quite a low-level protection."

Dr Pappalardo likens it to a series of cases involving the yellow and white pages (which, if you've never used them, were like an iPhone contact list but for everyone in the country).

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Phanatic posted:

That's what barn cats are for. Like, that is their specific purpose.
Yes. And barn cats aren't house cats. Barn cats are doing a job. That's an entirely different situation from people going 'well if you don't let your pet cat out you're a monster, my fluffykins was an outdoor cat and he lived 7 whole years.'

If a barn cat roams too much they're prone to similar dangers, although cars and pet dogs are less of an issue. But those dangers are more acceptable because it's required for the cat to perform their job. You should still take care of your barn cats.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

PetraCore posted:

It's way easier to keep a dog in your yard, although even then you shouldn't be leaving them out for long stretches completely unsupervised, like the people who tie their dogs up outside and just keep them there unsocialized are trash.

Even a fat and lazy cat can get out of a yard with little effort.

So cats are dumb and can’t follow learn/directions, and chaining a dog to a post is in humane. I can agree with this. Cat talk

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Burt Sexual posted:

Your dog is :smith: go outside w a dog

There's a difference between letting your animal roam outside and taking them out on walks. Most cats aren't really obedient enough to just tie them to a leash and take them outside on a walk around the block. My brother keeps trying with his 5 cats and even the most gentle ones will try to run off in random directions so much that they can't really go farther than the front yard.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

PetraCore posted:

Yes. And barn cats aren't house cats. Barn cats are doing a job. That's an entirely different situation from people going 'well if you don't let your pet cat out you're a monster, my fluffykins was an outdoor cat and he lived 7 whole years.'

If a barn cat roams too much they're prone to similar dangers, although cars and pet dogs are less of an issue. But those dangers are more acceptable because it's required for the cat to perform their job. You should still take care of your barn cats.

How many cats you have atm?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

chitoryu12 posted:

There's a difference between letting your animal roam outside and taking them out on walks. Most cats aren't really obedient enough to just tie them to a leash and take them outside on a walk around the block. My brother keeps trying with his 5 cats and even the most gentle ones will try to run off in random directions so much that they can't really go farther than the front yard.

He wants a dog I bet. :(

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The cat on our farm keeps the mice away and lets us know when he wants out, he was trained to do his business outside pretty fast because man does a litter box stink up a place, when people say they dont smell its like smokers, they are used to the smell.

and yeah cats can die outside, its sad when it happens but thats nature. the cat we had before the current one lived outside 90% of the time and died of old age when he was 15, the old guy wasnt even afraid of foxes, he was pretty big.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Burt Sexual posted:

So cats are dumb and can’t follow learn/directions, and chaining a dog to a post is in humane. I can agree with this. Cat talk
Yeah cats are smart enough not to get lost for the most part, and can roam quite far even in a day before coming home, but they're also kind of idiots when it comes to deciding if things are dangerous... much like many of the humans that inspire schadenfreude.

Burt Sexual posted:

How many cats you have atm?

I'm just sad because the cat we had before got out a few months ago and poisoned herself. It was terrible. Be gentle with me. :(

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Memento posted:

I also like this little bit:

quote:

"There's a chance that [white noise is] not actually original enough to be copyrighted, and if it is original enough, then the protection would be quite a low-level protection."

Dr Pappalardo likens it to a series of cases involving the yellow and white pages (which, if you've never used them, were like an iPhone contact list but for everyone in the country).

That’s like saying John Cage holds a copyright on the sound of silence.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

PetraCore posted:

Yeah cats are smart enough not to get lost for the most part, and can roam quite far even in a day before coming home, but they're also kind of idiots when it comes to deciding if things are dangerous... much like many of the humans that inspire schadenfreude.

I'm just sad because the cat we had before got out a few months ago and poisoned herself. It was terrible. Be gentle with me. :(

Fair enough on all points!

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Platystemon posted:

That’s like saying John Cage holds a copyright on the sound of silence.

Well....

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/74099/musician-settles-suit-on-silent-piece

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And cats really are murder on the local ecosystem. Feral domestic cats have driven more than one species extinct.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Cats kill billions of birds per year. With a 'b'.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
All the cats I currently have now have always been indoor cats; my childhood cat used to be an outdoor cat but after the incidents he took the transition to indoor surprisingly gracefully.

Probably because he was poo poo at fights and always lost against the actual stray toms :v: but he was a good housecat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Wasn't there an article a while back about nutso sociopaths who were buying rehomed pets off of craigslist and torturing them for funsies? I can only imagine what would happen if someone like that caught your lost cats :smith:

No schauden, only sadden. Keep your buddies inside.