Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

namaste faggots posted:

no one cares about winnipeg

Oh good, CI is back with the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Count Roland posted:

Oh good, CI is back with the thread.

With Singh winning the NDP nomination, probably not for long.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 9, 2022

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

who loving cares what ci posts, just put him on ignore he'll get probated/banned again soon enough for being a misanthropic misogynistic fuckman

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
How these people even manage to drive cars is beyond me

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

The Committee’s recommendation to generate revenue by expanding broadcast distribution levies so that they apply to broadband distribution would conflict with the principle of affordable access. The open Internet has been a powerful enabler of innovation, driving economic growth, entrepreneurship, and social change in Canada and around the world. The future prosperity of Canadians depends on access to an open Internet where Canadians have the power to freely innovative, communicate, and access the content of their choice in accordance with Canadian laws. Therefore, the Government does not intend to expand the current levy on broadcast distribution undertakings.

No surprises here. You can't say the internet is an essential service and then impose more taxes on it.

Well, I mean, you CAN but it's not something the lib...

k i got nothin

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I remember “everything is backwards now” because it was the banner image on LF for like 8 months

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

I see you, Jon Snow.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

There is nothing at those 4 corners to suggest opening them up.

On the other hand, every Winnipeg citizen dreams of the day he can run full sprint away from the meth head attempting to stab him on Fort Street directly across Main Street to Hy's Steak Loft for some delicious garlic toast.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Mr. Hookshot is studying for his citizenship test since he applied for his citizenship a few days ago, and he asked me what the official federal parties are that he needs to know the leaders for and I told him Libs, Cons, NDP and Bloc, I literally forgot the Greens existed until he asked me how many seats the Bloc had and I had to look up the election results.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

InfiniteZero posted:

On the other hand, every Winnipeg citizen dreams of the day he can run full sprint away from the meth head attempting to stab him on Fort Street directly across Main Street to Hy's Steak Loft for some delicious garlic toast.

I just looked this up on Google maps, having never before see Winnipeg. Two thoughts, 1)lol, what the gently caress was the concept behind that intersection? 2) Good lord, who designed this city?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Winnipeg design is the result of multiple things coming together.

1) some of it was laid out before cars were even a thing
2) its also an amalgamation of several different towns that up until recently had their own priorities and design standards
3) as soon as cars became a thing they basically did everything they could to accommodate the worst loving drivers Ive ever shared a road with

As for P&M it was closed because cars uber alles and also because the owners of the buildings on the 4 corners wanted the city to agree to force pedestrians to go into the concourses, giving the shops traffic

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

EvilJoven posted:

2) its also an amalgamation of several different towns that up until recently had their own priorities and design standards
3) as soon as cars became a thing they basically did everything they could to accommodate the worst loving drivers Ive ever shared a road with

As for P&M it was closed because cars uber alles and also because the owners of the buildings on the 4 corners wanted the city to agree to force pedestrians to go into the concourses, giving the shops traffic

The most interesting part I read in my brief research was about the 50-year deal. The recent hub-bub about re-pedestrianizing the intersection isn't just because some city leaders thought maybe now was a good idea, or that some urbanist ideas are taking hold, it's because the 50 years are almost up. So they have to decide what to do. Kinda crazy that they were locked into it all this time.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

namaste faggots posted:

So proud Canadians, give one good reason why Amazon should move here?

Then give one good reason why anyone would want them to.

:laugh:

putting your co-hq in a different country from your other co-hq gives you some protection from government regulation

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lobok posted:

The most interesting part I read in my brief research was about the 50-year deal. The recent hub-bub about re-pedestrianizing the intersection isn't just because some city leaders thought maybe now was a good idea, or that some urbanist ideas are taking hold, it's because the 50 years are almost up. So they have to decide what to do. Kinda crazy that they were locked into it all this time.

They made a fifty year deal to what? Make their city suck?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

EvilJoven posted:

Toronto has plenty of weirdness thanks to 1 and 2, luckily we managed to dodge a lot of 3 thanks to shutting down the Spadina Expressway.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Arivia posted:

They made a fifty year deal to what? Make their city suck?

quote:

In 1976, the City of Winnipeg signed an agreement with private developers to open an underground concourse linking shopping malls under the four corner properties. This included a 50-year deal to permanently close the pedestrian crossings at the intersection, which street works were completed around 1978.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

infernal machines posted:

I just looked this up on Google maps, having never before see Winnipeg. Two thoughts, 1)lol, what the gently caress was the concept behind that intersection? 2) Good lord, who designed this city?

Nobody moves to Winnipeg by choice: they visit and go downtown where they get so trapped in the maze of one-way streets that they eventually give up and just stay here.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

InfiniteZero posted:

Nobody moves to Winnipeg by choice: they visit and go downtown where they get so trapped in the maze of one-way streets that they eventually give up and just stay here.

Oh boy are you ever in the wrong thread

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

A Quebec man is trying to sue an airline after he was allegedly served sparkling wine instead of champagne on a flight.

Daniel Macduff's class action request claims Sunwing was deceptive when it advertised the vacation package he bought as a champagne service for the flight last November.

Macduff's lawyer, Sebastien Paquette, says the suit is less about the differing cost of the beverages and more about the need to fight misleading advertising practices

Should've served him le seven-up.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flakeloaf posted:

Should've served him le seven-up.

Champagne is great and Sunwing can go choke on a bag of assholes, so I fully support this lawsuit. We have discovered the best Quebecer. Godspeed, Monsieur Macduff.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

french people own when they're not being racist

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

InfiniteZero posted:

Nobody moves to Winnipeg by choice: they visit and go downtown where they get so trapped in the maze of one-way streets that they eventually give up and just stay here. get lost in the underground mall and poo poo in flowerpots

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Odds on Morneau getting shuffled out before the next election?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/morneau-ethics-conflict-finance-1.4361978

quote:

Finance Minister Bill Morneau is placing his assets in a blind trust and divesting shares in his family-built company to calm a growing ethics controversy over his personal holdings.

During a news conference on Parliament Hill, Morneau said he will unload the million shares he has in Morneau Shepell, the human resources and pension management company his father founded.

His other assets will be placed in a blind trust in order to avoid any public perception of conflict of interest, he said.

He has been under fire since the Globe and Mail reported Monday that Morneau did not put his business assets into a blind trust. That led opposition critics to accuse him of conflict of interest in sponsoring legislation involving private pensions that could benefit him financially.

Earlier today, Morneau insisted he sought and followed advice from the federal ethics commissioner "to the letter."

But he said mounting questions this week reflected the need to take additional steps.

"I need to do more," he said. "As minister of finance, in this role, it's important to make sure poeple have absolute confidence."

At an event Thursday at a farm in eastern Ontario to announce the government would take a "step back" from another of its contentious tax reform proposals this morning, and faced more tough questions about his own personal wealth and how he managed assets after being appointed to Justin Trudeau's cabinet.

Morneau conceded the ethics controversy has become a "distraction," but said he took guidance from the ethics watchdog.

"I followed that advice very carefully because I wanted to make sure I could do the work I'm doing," he said.

Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner Mary Dawson said this week that she did not advise Morneau not to put the assets in a blind trust, but did tell him it was not specifically required under current rules.

"I took a look at what he disclosed, and according to what was disclosed, and which I do for everybody, I make a judgment as to what's necessary," she said.

In question period Wednesday, Trudeau defended Morneau's decision not to put tens of millions of dollars' worth of shares in his company into a blind trust before joining the cabinet.

Today, during an event in Roberval, Que. he backed him again, saying he followed the rules but could also take extra steps.

CBC News has also reported that for two years Morneau failed to disclose to the federal ethics commissioner that he and his wife are partners in the private company that owns a family villa.

Within the first 60 days of a cabinet minister's appointment they must provide a list of assets, liabilities, income and any other related financial information to the Office of the Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner.

Advisers in the office then tell ministers and parliamentary secretaries what they need to do to be in compliance with the Conflict of Interest Act.

The law says ministers are not allowed to hold on to any controlled assets — those that are directly held by a public office holder. They must either sell the assets or put them in a blind trust for as long as they remain in office, or until the assets have been depleted.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

lmao amazonyyc

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

DariusLikewise posted:

Odds on Morneau getting shuffled out before the next election?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/morneau-ethics-conflict-finance-1.4361978

why do you care about ethics? according to THC graft and corruption are just perks of the job

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
are you so petty that you can't envision a hard working finance minister going on holiday in france? he's not even looting an NGO to pay for it

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Downtowns with one way streets are loving awesome.

Hamilton was way better when James and John were both one way. It made getting around way easier to get around on foot, by bus, on a bike or in a car.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

EvilJoven posted:

Hamilton was way better when James and John were both one way. It made getting around way easier to get around on foot, by bus, on a bike or in a car.

So now James and John go both ways?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
don't kinkshame

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EvilJoven posted:

I thought urban planning people preferred two-way streets because they are better for engaging people and having them park and go into businesses or some such.

I agree with you that 1-ways are awesome, but apparently experts disagree.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

namaste faggots posted:

are you so petty that you can't envision a hard working finance minister going on holiday in france? he's not even looting an NGO to pay for it

*passes bill in parliament to make Morneau Shepell the preferred government pension provider*

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Bill Morneau does Good Work.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

he doesn't though

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

So now James and John go both ways?

Yep. It happened after I moved and I'm super happy I dodged that because it would have made getting into and out of my parking garage dangerous as poo poo and also made the busses going down those streets take way longer.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
shut up is it not enough that an Honorable Member of Parliament has to be humiliated across the countyr like this

Bill Morneau is Very Private about His Money

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

namaste faggots posted:

shut up is it not enough that an Honorable Member of Parliament has to be humiliated across the countyr like this

Bill Morneau is Very Private about His Money

CBC posted:

In the meantime, Morneau's absence from the House is being noted and his wealth is being loudly mocked.

"Will the prime minister just admit that his minister of finance has violated the Conflict of Interest Act," asked NDP MP Jenny Kwan, "or is he just too busy working hard for the French villa owners, or those who are working hard to become French villa owners?"

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lol

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

namaste faggots posted:

lmao amazonyyc

Someone's job at twitter is apparently to editorialize some of the trending hashtags. I thought they were supposed to just be a network for users to communicate with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

4chan nazis kept boosting racist tags into the trends so they had to do something about it without actively moderating the 4chan nazis who drive so much engagement to their failing website