Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

KlementGottwald posted:

Sounds like a reasonable seller, too.

It's sad that no glaring spelling or grammar mistakes or abuse of caps lock can make a post seem reasonable these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
VAN BULLETPROOF - $2000

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1739295660.html

quote:

LARGE WHITE BULLETPROOF VAN PREVIOUSLY USED FOR CHECK CASHING GREAT VAN FOR BORDER CROSSINGS IF YOUWANT TO GO TO MEXICO, OR NEED SOMETHING TO LOCK VALUABLE TOOLS IN. 1989 CHEVY ASTRO VAN
SWB ARMOUR PLATED LEXAN (BULLETPROOF) WINDOW AUTOMATIC, AIR CONDITONIG CURRENT REGISTRATION TAS AND STICKER, CLEAN TITLE WAS ASKING $2500WILL TAKE THE FIRST $2,000 RUNS WELL

It's good for border crossings, he put that in the ad.

Although $2000 for an armored van seems pretty reasonable.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

KlementGottwald posted:

No. Buy this RIGHT NOW.

Sounds like a reasonable seller, too.

Unfortunately, I would need to sell my 300cd for an exorbitant sum on eBay before I buy a Starion or MR2. Most W123's on eBay are armoralled turds unlike my 300cd, the pictures and descriptions attempt to hide flaws such as evidence of bodywork, cracked dashes & wood, mileage discrepancies and worn buttons, steering wheel and pedals. Not to mention the upbidding as well. My 300cd is the first car I've bought and I've never really enjoyed it, unlike my 1986 Subaru XT. Not sure if it's worth selling my first car to buy more lil' wedges :3:

Carry on!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Sir Tonk posted:

VAN BULLETPROOF - $2000

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1739295660.html

It's good for border crossings, he put that in the ad.

Although $2000 for an armored van seems pretty reasonable.

goon project A-team van

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Can't spell 'new,' selling a beat up 3rd gen for $5k, and causes one to run out of breath trying to read the ad:
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/1760974005.html

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Ah yes. Good ol' "it only needs a couple $50 parts and it's so easy to fix but I'm so busy I can't be bothered" routine.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
yeah who's going to trade him a later f body or a SN95 for a beat up "camero" with the lovely 305?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Also funny is the "thank you" they always put at the end, like they just finished a standup routine or made an announcement to a banquet hall.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

ab0z posted:

Also funny is the "thank you" they always put at the end, like they just finished a standup routine or made an announcement to a banquet hall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PlhJOzH0gY

and he was so polite! he would always say thank you. he coined the term! everybody is saying it now!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This one though, is so tempting :ohdear:
http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/cto/1761956062.html

tell me it isn't stolen, Tony.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Someone stop me from assembling a fleet of hilariously unreliable Turbo 1980's Japanese cars!

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/1760180626.html

Today here in Florida I saw one of these (that bright orange color) on the side of the highway. They sure look cool but seeing one like that scares me so, considering the reputation.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Can't spell 'new,' selling a beat up 3rd gen for $5k, and causes one to run out of breath trying to read the ad:
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/1760974005.html

On what planet is that considered "beat up"? It looks to be in really good shape in the pics, and has 57k miles on it (if the seller is to be trusted, of course). I'd say that's in drat nice shape for a 25 year old Chevy. Especially for a 3rd gen F-body, which usually tend to take the term "beat up" to whole new levels. There are some truly horrid examples out there.

*EDIT: ugly wheels though.

Doctor Zero posted:

Ah yes. Good ol' "it only needs a couple $50 parts and it's so easy to fix but I'm so busy I can't be bothered" routine.

Normally I'd agree, but the things he listed actually are really easy / cheap fixes. Speedo cable, horn, possibly carb and battery. You could do all of that in a single afternoon.

The stock 305 may suck rear end, but it's an SBC. You could trade a sixpack for a tree fiddy and drop that in there after you fix all the fiddly poo poo he listed as being wrong with it.

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 28, 2010

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Today here in Florida I saw one of these (that bright orange color) on the side of the highway. They sure look cool but seeing one like that scares me so, considering the reputation.

I had one of these. It was awesome, but oh god. I still want to get another someday, but keeping the one I had going was a full-time job that I just didn't have the free time / wrenching space for. Fun project car, since poo poo was always breaking though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Black88GTA posted:

Especially for a 3rd gen F-body, which usually tend to take the term "beat up" to whole new levels. There are some truly horrid examples out there.
It's certainly better than average, but I would expect pristine (which I guess can't be gauge off of 2 pictures) for $5000

quote:

Normally I'd agree, but the things he listed actually are really easy / cheap fixes. Speedo cable, horn, possibly carb and battery. You could do all of that in a single afternoon.

But then it seems super lazy that he couldn't do that before posting the ad, and fixing on the day that he's showing it.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

kimbo305 posted:

It's certainly better than average, but I would expect pristine (which I guess can't be gauge off of 2 pictures) for $5000

A pristine F-body goes for way more than $5000. It's a low mileage T-top car so the price is in line with what i would expect.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Well, I would agree there. It better be drat nice for $5k. I've seen very nice 3rd gens go for upwards of that. Although, I don't know if I'd ever describe that particular car as "beat up" even with only the small pics to go by. Especially given some I've seen.

quote:

But then it seems super lazy that he couldn't do that before posting the ad, and fixing on the day that he's showing it.

True, but some people just don't have the time / motivation to fix poo poo, and just want the car gone. It may be just that - the seller is lazy. Or maybe he has other projects he'd rather work on or something. If that truly is all that's wrong, it seems as if that may be the case here. All of those things can be done with basic hand tools in your driveway.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Toucan Sam posted:

A pristine F-body goes for way more than $5000. It's a low mileage T-top car so the price is in line with what i would expect.

Black88GTA posted:

Well, I would agree there. It better be drat nice for $5k. I've seen very nice 3rd gens go for upwards of that. Although, I don't know if I'd ever describe that particular car as "beat up" even with only the small pics to go by. Especially given some I've seen.

I'm not gonna lie -- I've been on 3rdgen.org looking for a nice one for a while. The cars for sale are certainly way way better than the dregs of CL, but I dunno, I have trouble swallowing $7-8k for an early 90s F-body, even with nice things done to them.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Which one of us is this?

http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/1762187247.html

Crossposted to the Volvo thread.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

what a long strange thread its been

Splizwarf posted:

Which one of us is this?

Crossposted to the Volvo thread.

This man may be a genius.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande
Classic Mustang: Grab it or I chop it into little bits.

Craigslist Reno posted:

I am going to be firing up the Sawzall in about a week to rid myself of this vehicle as I need the room. It has no title-but it's not stolen either. The car is pretty much all there, as it has been stripped of the old paint and then primered in black because it was going to be a quarter miler. This car would NOT be worth much for a total restoration due to some body cancer around the roof line/quarter panel. The doors are good, as well as the front fenders, the hood is a fiberglass cowl type ( nice hood) and a decent trunk lid. There's a sh*t load of parts that go with it, both original and re-pops that I was going to use to get it going again. If you want it, the whole thing goes for $1500 cash. No payments, but I will take gold coins of equal value.

Okay, parts wise, here's the real gravy- it has a Ford 9" rear end sitting on new springs installed, with the posi-setup, 3.50 gears (perfect for small blocks), big Ford bearing caps, Moser 28 spline axles with a bolt pattern of 5 x 4.5" (small Ford). Only grease monkeys respond to this ( I MEAN IT, NO AMATEURS) I have had it with you lightweights and you're excuses.

This rear end will work in 64-66 Mustangs, including Shelby's. During construction, it was setup to run true (unlike most factory housings that are screwed up). If you've ever built a rear end, you'll have know what I'm talking about. Nonetheless, you will not be disappointed. $1200.00 (or one gold double eagle) and I will even deliver as far as Hooterville (Gardernerville) - after you have paid in Lincoln Greenbacks or dropped some gold coin in my hand. No checks, payments, promises, wishes, or scowls. ??

If it doesn't sell, I don't give a sh*t. I will use it for something else as I have fun slicing and dicing next weekend.

Y'all ever see how fast a man with a Sawzall can cutup and entire car? 1.5 hours, little bitty pieces, viola! Ready for the garbage can.

That said, you have one week from today before I start chopping and harvesting parts to put on that homo auction site, Egay. ??

If you want pics, I can do that.

AGAIN, only serious inquires. If you want to go window shopping, go to the mall.

??I can't wait to fire up the Sawzall, and I am in no mood to waste time with tire-kickers. Now that I have sufficiently amused you all, send me an email and we can arrange a viewing of the condemned prisoner.

Get with it boys, the clock is ticking.

Now that I've cleaned it up for you overly sensitive types, are you happy?

Any way you slice it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/1763979227.html

Another Malcolm Bricklin special.
0-50? 37 seconds.
But I'd get it in a second if I had the space/money.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

joat mon posted:

0-50? 37 seconds.

I would to but holy poo poo why the hell do people keep giving him money to import things?! Where does he keep getting money?!

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

joat mon posted:

0-50? 37 seconds.

Hell yes. I'd slap a superbike motor in that thing and commute with it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

RealKyleH posted:

I would to but holy poo poo why the hell do people keep giving him money to import things?! Where does he keep getting money?!

After that whole Subaru debacle, I have no idea! (I mean really who would be caught dead in one of those?)

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn
I'd rather drive a beat to poo poo Subaru 360 than a Smart.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Lets see...
PVC dash cover
"aluminum block motor"
18" rims
"custom specially made rear +2 seat" (totally impossible unless they're for people under 3ft tall)
"Custom" pop-up sunroof (in a unibody)
Passenger's side mirror (which never work on GTs unless you mount them way far forward on the fender.)

All this can be yours for the low, low price of $19,850.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/1764696359.html

E: It's also missing the rather large center console piece that surrounds the parking brake.
E2: Besides the murdered acceleration, I'm wondering what kind of effect those huge loving wheels have on the standard braking system?

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 30, 2010

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

MonkeyNutZ posted:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/1764696359.html

"If you want to see this vehicle it will be at "Cars and Coffee" in Irvine http://irvine.carsandcoffee.info/ on 5/29/2010."

Here's hoping one of the people who regularly posts the Cars and Coffee photos grabbed some of this today, the situation might get even worse if we're lucky.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Which one of us is this?

Hah unless I am mistaking the buildings in the background, I can go take pictures of this car. Maybe the owner will be around. It's like 3 blocks away.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

quote:

Convertible BMW! - $2650 (Lake Havasu City)
Date: 2010-04-20, 1:05PM MST
Reply to: sale-9rsnc-1701703210@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

1994 BMW 325i Convertible
More pictures coming soon.
Original Cost, FORTYTHREE THOUSAND SMACKERS!! What I'm asking is about 1/16th the original price.
$2,650 Firm
(I'm not negotiable on this price, but I will trade for a crew cab, mid-sized truck like a Dodge Dakota, Nissan Frontier or Toyota Tacoma)

*Did I mention this is a BMW convertible? So, A luxury German convertible with a mean engine... That means it will most likely go up in value over the years. It really shouldn't go down in value unless it gets abused. Consider it an investment.
*New windshield
*192 Horsepower
*31 MPG Highway, 17 City
*Expensive BMW alloy rims
*Front and rear disc brakes
*Speedometer registers 160, and she'll do every bit of that.
*5 Speed Automatic (shifts into 5th at about 61 mph). It also has a manual shift option, so that you don't have to give up the kind of control you get with a stick shift.
*Great Air
*USES NO OIL
*Cruise Control
*Power Everything
*5 CD changer
141K miles

There are some minuses, and that's why you get this car for $2,650
Passenger front window does not roll
The wiper washer wiring is disconnected
Right seat power is not connected (No, I don't know if it works)
Needs one fog light
There is a wrinkle in the driver's side quarter panel
There is a dent in the passenger side ground effect and trunk lid
The clear coat on the hood needs rubbed out
Door panels have shrunken and are bad
The leather isn't in great shape
Top is only in ok condition
That's everything I know.

Please only contact me if you're serious. Please remember that I'm firm on the price.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Not sure if you're making a joke or something that I'm missing, but 31 MPG highway isn't unrealistic for a 325 of that age (M50B25 engine). The city figure sounds honest too.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Piano posted:

Hah unless I am mistaking the buildings in the background, I can go take pictures of this car. Maybe the owner will be around. It's like 3 blocks away.

What? I'm in Fredericksburg, let's hang out and go to a junkyard. Been meaning to visit Richmond's U-Pull-Its, there looks to be one north and one south of the city.

Also, you are pretty much obligated by this thread to go and get some photos. Curious what it looks like from the top with the roof shut.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

VideoTapir posted:

bmw

If all of this is true, why wouldn't you buy it? I've always wanted one of these.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

BMW seller posted:

Original Cost, FORTYTHREE THOUSAND SMACKERS!! What I'm asking is about 1/16th the original price.

That's not too impressive when you consider that a 1994 model car is 17 years old now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

el topo posted:

That's not too impressive when you consider that a 1994 model car is 17 years old now.

Hey, you mean my P200 w/14" CRT, 2.1GB HDD and 64MB of ram set me back around $5K buck in 1994 isn't a deal today @ 250?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Wait, RX-7...4x4? What the hell does that...

...oh.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007

Piano posted:

do it

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Ok, I'm pretty drat gay for this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270588038589

It says it's a DS wagon athough I'm pretty sure only the ID was offered as a Break (wagon). The ID being the dumbed-down version of the DS, it had no hydropneumatic suspension, no fancy hydropneumatic manual gearbox either. This may be a good thing for a guy used to working on and driving tractors disguised as trucks.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

dennyk posted:

Wait, RX-7...4x4? What the hell does that...

...oh.
The RADL has been informed.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

trouser chili posted:

Ok, I'm pretty drat gay for this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270588038589

It says it's a DS wagon athough I'm pretty sure only the ID was offered as a Break (wagon). The ID being the dumbed-down version of the DS, it had no hydropneumatic suspension, no fancy hydropneumatic manual gearbox either. This may be a good thing for a guy used to working on and driving tractors disguised as trucks.

Oh god. I want one of these. A friend of mine had one when I lived in France; DS' are awesome; the wagon is just even more so. He now lives in Alabama, and may still have it. I nearly have the cash, but would not dare buy one sight unseen. Too many of the parts cost unicorn balls.

They way that one is sitting, I guarantee it has the air suspension & is a bona-fide wagon. They were popular as ambulances.

(edit) it's not running..,.so the airbag system could be shot. Still tempting, if I had another 8K to fix it properly.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Oh yeah, it may be easy to get the engine runnning. I doubt it would need much honestly, given the way it's been stored it seems to me a battery, some fresh fluids and a bit of priming would have it chuffing along in short order. Maybe not perfectly well without some carb work, but some semblance of running should be attainable.

The hydraulics though (it is a DS, not an ID like I thought), big problem. I'm pretty sure it's got the old system. You can tell cause the spheres aren't painted green. This means it likely has the hygroscopic LHV or LHS fluid, which means it's almost certainly full of water and completely corroded and probably also rancid if it's LHV. The entire hydraulic system could need replacement. Not cheap. Everything that ran the new LHM was painted green. Strange thing is that LHM was introduced in 1967, and this is a 1969 model, so it should be LHM I'd think. Not sure if they switched everything in 67 or if it was a mixed offering in the Citroen showrooms for some time.