Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
I've been working on prerequisites to apply for an RN program (ASN) for the past few years a class or two at a time while working and now I'm done with the classes and TEAS test... now how do I go about figuring out which schools I want to try to get into? I'm in GA btw

The college I've been going to for the prerequisite classes has a nice new campus but the nursing program is brand new and hasn't been accredited yet, which I'm not sure how big of a deal that is but it seems sketchy. I'm vaguely aware of a couple other programs around the state but haven't really looked too deep into them yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Don’t go to a school that isn’t accredited. You might graduate and not be able to get your license. This is 100% a massive red flag.

NCLEX first time pass rates are a good indicator of the program quality of the school publishes that information. It should at least be 90%+.

Don’t spend too much. An associates is fine but you’ll maybe be a less competitive applicant for certain jobs down the line.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Tele-ICU story sounds like hell to me, on both ends. Interesting to hear how it actually panned out experience-wise but ... ugh. Things have mellowed out case-wise in my area but we've had two fires in the unit in the past three months. The articulating arms which house the outlets, oxygen, suction ect have suffered electrical fires. Seemingly from fluids entering the outlets from IV pumps but the investigations continue.

Lovelyn posted:

Did anyone get their preceptor gifts at the end of residency/training? I'm trying to brainstorm - I'm thinking gift card for food or water bottle or something but I'm terrible at gift-giving and don't really know their personal taste super well (aside from one of them loving textured water bottles)
Having been a preceptor, a gift card is usually appreciated. I also received some maple syrup from my student's family farm once. :canada:

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

gregday posted:

yeeeaaaah maybe it’s too early to read Reddit nursing today

Hmm

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Any recommendations for Stethoscopes? I'm starting my MSc in Advanced Clinical Practice and looks like I am going to need one.

Littman Classic 3 looks like what I would go for, but it is quite expensive

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I sprung for the Littmann 5 years ago when I first started and don't regret it one bit, whereas most of my friends who went cheaper ended up upgrading to a Littmann once they got out on the floor and actually needed to be able to hear things. I did have to swap out my binaurals a couple months ago when the tubing cracked but that was only $20.

If the price is too steep you can always ask for it for a gift for the holidays.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
I agree with the above post. You can buy a cheap one now and a Littmann later, or you can save yourself some money in the long run and get the Littmann now. They make different models, some of which might really shine in certain specialties, and to be honest I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they regret buying one

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I narrowly missed out on a job with SEIU where I would have been working to unionize y'all nurses in Seattle, but I wanted to drop a link to the new BFC thread for union/workplace organizing stuff in here. If you're in a union already please come by and hang out with us and talk about what things are like in your local; if your workplace is not yet unionized, please learn about what they are and how they work before the boss convinces you that they're EVIL and you won't be able to help patients if you sign a union card. Maybe even help an ongoing union effort?? Or start one?? Thank you all so much :)

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone receive a booster shot yet?

I got my third Pfizer dose today. The 2nd shot knocked me on my rear end for a day, so we'll see how this one goes.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I got my third shot last Friday and it knocked me out for the weekend. Chills, low grade fever, body aches. Didn't feel better until halfway through Sunday. My last reaction only lasted 12 hours so this one was 3 times as long for me.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Marchegiana posted:

I got my third shot last Friday and it knocked me out for the weekend. Chills, low grade fever, body aches. Didn't feel better until halfway through Sunday. My last reaction only lasted 12 hours so this one was 3 times as long for me.

Well, poo poo.

How long after the dose did the symptoms start? I think it was 15 hours after my 2nd jab until I woke up feeling like poo poo.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
About 15ish hours for me too, both times I had the reaction. Got my third shot at about noon on Friday, woke up with chills around 4am Saturday- almost the exact same time as last time

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Marchegiana posted:

I got my 3rd two days ago and have been fine. The second knocked me on my rear end though. My wife was having bad chills fever and myalgia after her 3rd though.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
T + 30 Hour booster status update:

Not feeling great but definitely not as bad as Pfizer #2 that I had 10 months ago. Low-grade fever and chills kicked in about 14 hours after the jab. Now just a sore arm, swollen/tender lymph nodes in armpit, minor headache.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
Modules are universally the worst part of starting a new job. Trusted pays better in general than most travel groups but they notably don't pay for prework modules either, so I'm just blasting this out as fast as possible and it makes me want to drill a hole in my head.

I was way lazier than I should have been about finding a new place and now I'm 2 weeks out of a new assignment with no housing confirmed, gently caress me.

rosenritter
Feb 22, 2014
Would it really look bad on my resume if I quit my job without anything else lined up? I'm so tired and defeated after being expected to do so much with so little. I'm burnt out. I'll have about four years of med-surg experience in January. It's never going to improve.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

rosenritter posted:

Would it really look bad on my resume if I quit my job without anything else lined up? I'm so tired and defeated after being expected to do so much with so little. I'm burnt out. I'll have about four years of med-surg experience in January. It's never going to improve.

No. Just quit and get a traveling gig making $100/hr. Do it right now before it dries up.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

Experience is experience. As long as you weren't fired from a position its fine.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

rosenritter posted:

My company (a CRO) is supposed to be starting a RN to Clinical research associate (CRA) soon for nurses who want to transition to clinical research. We’ve moved to a more remote/regional type of work and the industry has never been more competitive for salary. If that’s something you or anyone else is interested in, let me know and I’ll pass on when they actually start the program.

Konpeito
Nov 3, 2005

Cacafuego posted:

My company (a CRO) is supposed to be starting a RN to Clinical research associate (CRA) soon for nurses who want to transition to clinical research. We’ve moved to a more remote/regional type of work and the industry has never been more competitive for salary. If that’s something you or anyone else is interested in, let me know and I’ll pass on when they actually start the program.

Interested!

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Cacafuego posted:

Curious!

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

My system is doing something interesting. We’re being offered 15k “retention bonuses”. Basically just a sign on bonus for a two year commitment from existing staff. Along with the 9% raise last month, it seems like admin is starting to throw some money at the shortage.

Since I don’t have any plans currently to get a tasty travel contract or anything, it feels like a good deal, since I didn’t really have any plans of leaving anyway.

I wonder if you guys are seeing similar pay bumps on your systems? It seems like it’s way overdue.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

We're unionized so no, nothing like that. Though during the first wave we received at $2.50/hr raise for a few months.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

We're unionized so no, nothing like that. Though during the first wave we received at $2.50/hr raise for a few months.

I should probably clarify I live in Denver. It is pretty much consensus here that nurse wages have not risen sufficiently with the cost of living, we are very jealous of our west coast brethren.

Anyway I’ve felt like something has had to give for a while and it seems like the rubber is hitting the road.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

My old place did 2 year retention bonuses, 10k a year + increased referral bonus for RNs by a bunch.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Geisinger. RNs getting $25000 paid out quarterly over 2 years (20% up front, 10% per quarter). No raise to the base wage. Shift diff went to $7/8 nights/weekends.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Konpeito posted:

Interested!

Check out the link here and feel free to ask questions if you’d like!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

We are also unionized and we were getting $10/h extra for extra picked up hours, but this was increased to $35/h last month. I just went casual so anything above my required 16 h/mo will almost be double time for me. No retention bonuses offered, but I would think long and hard about agreeing to two years. Even if you don’t have plans now, life can come at you fast.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

hobbez posted:

I should probably clarify I live in Denver. It is pretty much consensus here that nurse wages have not risen sufficiently with the cost of living, we are very jealous of our west coast brethren.

Anyway I’ve felt like something has had to give for a while and it seems like the rubber is hitting the road.

lol I’m in Denver too, I just got a ~$1.20/hr raise. Our system did “market adjustments” instead of retention bonuses. They were different for everyone, I’ve heard the new grads got around $2.50 and nurses with 10+ years of experience have gotten less than $1

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

lol I’m in Denver too, I just got a ~$1.20/hr raise. Our system did “market adjustments” instead of retention bonuses. They were different for everyone, I’ve heard the new grads got around $2.50 and nurses with 10+ years of experience have gotten less than $1

Oh sup fellow Denver RN. I realized that part of the reason I got a 10% bump is I now have more then two years of experience so that pumped me up into a higher pay bracket because I’m “experienced” or something. Not every nurse got that big of a raise I don’t think. So maybe I’m one of the “new grads” you’re referring too, lol.

I’ll take it nonetheless. So I got a raise and the bonus btw. The 15k bonus is across the board though for all acute care RNs and seems very appropriate. It’s been tough to stay with my employer when there’s all these crazy signing bonuses being advertised everywhere. Seems like a great idea to reward some degree of loyalty/consistency.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

hobbez posted:

Oh sup fellow Denver RN. I realized that part of the reason I got a 10% bump is I now have more then two years of experience so that pumped me up into a higher pay bracket because I’m “experienced” or something. Not every nurse got that big of a raise I don’t think. So maybe I’m one of the “new grads” you’re referring too, lol.

I’ll take it nonetheless. So I got a raise and the bonus btw. The 15k bonus is across the board though for all acute care RNs and seems very appropriate. It’s been tough to stay with my employer when there’s all these crazy signing bonuses being advertised everywhere. Seems like a great idea to reward some degree of loyalty/consistency.

ah that makes sense. 15k retention though, drat

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

Certainly take a look where you are in life with regards to staying in place for 2 years, if the 15k will be worth it.
I'm on a prepaid leave plan at my work. Boils down to I work 4 years at 80% of my pay and then I get a year off with pay. It's not for everyone but I'm making it work. I'll either do a travel job or school during my off year.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Certainly take a look where you are in life with regards to staying in place for 2 years, if the 15k will be worth it.
I'm on a prepaid leave plan at my work. Boils down to I work 4 years at 80% of my pay and then I get a year off with pay. It's not for everyone but I'm making it work. I'll either do a travel job or school during my off year.

For sure. I was planning on staying in my current position for that length of time anyway. I’m in school for psych NP and the psych unit I’m on is really cushy, it’s a chill job. My contract will also be up right around when I’ll be graduating from school. So yeah the 15k kind of feels like it just fell from the sky for work I was planning to do anyway.

That’s a really interesting arrangement you have. Never heard of anything like that

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

hobbez posted:

Sup denver goons. Fort Collins RN here. Wife got a raise similar to what you're mentioning and there's an end of year bonus we're both supposed to receive, mine being lower just because I'm a lowly PRN. Sign on bonuses are a plentiful up here too, although back in the summer it was only $10k for 2 years of commitment. Works out super well for her since where we came from, nobody would hire/train ICU nurses *central oregon*

Also, there was recently a quantitative trauma researcher position that got posted and I chickened out from applying because the idea of working 5 days a week sounds awful.

ToeShoes
Sep 8, 2011

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
One more semester! Yay! All I have left is my preceptorship. I put in my top 3 choices for the school to put me somewhere and I want to be in community, however corrections was an option and I couldn’t stop myself from putting it as number 1. So I think I’ll be placed at the local prison by the sounds of it. I really want to work with disadvantaged groups, so this kind of seems like the best option. There’s a womens prison here too, which I really hope to be placed at. Working with women in healthcare is like my dream. I was talking to a nurse in corrections, and she says that the womens prison is the absolute worst place to work though haha. But I want.

garrettdonohue
Jan 18, 2010

hobbez posted:

Hey, I just found this thread. I want to share with you my experience:

As a nursing new grad from UMass, I got really lucky by getting a job at University of Colorado Hospital. I was in the inaugural nursing new grad class - the first certified class of this type in the country! I will forever be grateful for my 5 years at UCH, or whatever they call it now. Working here opened a ton of doors for me.

But.

They do NOT pay well. I realize there is no Union there, and yes I know that it offers a modest pension, but had I stayed in Denver making Denver nursing money, I never would have gotten anywhere financially. I started off, as a RN, at 22.50/hr. At the time that I left, I was still making less than $28/hr. In Denver. Which is not cheap.

So, I moved to Hawaii, worked at Queen’s Medical Center. HI is unionized - I can’t stress enough how superior this is. Nothing made me more upset than knowing that other lesser qualified or less loyal employees were making more money hourly than me. People I started at UCH with left, came back, and got rewarded with a higher hourly than me. By making this move, I doubled my pay, knew that no one was getting rewarded for leaving and coming back - and got to live in HI. Best years of my life.

About 3.5 years ago, I made my most recent move to the Bay, and I work at Stanford. I have gotten another significant pay bump by making this move (I know they Bay is crazy expensive, but I still come out ahead).

I love Denver to death, I was born there and consider it my home city. But just know that you work too hard to make less than your worth. If you feel shortchanged, absolutely consider a move to HI or CA (both Union states).

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Pay in Denver is atrocious. I love it here but at this rate I’ll never be able to buy a place.

I’m considering moving to the PNW in the next year or so. It’s expensive as hell but at least the pay is more reasonable.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

garrettdonohue posted:

Hey, I just found this thread. I want to share with you my experience:

As a nursing new grad from UMass, I got really lucky by getting a job at University of Colorado Hospital. I was in the inaugural nursing new grad class - the first certified class of this type in the country! I will forever be grateful for my 5 years at UCH, or whatever they call it now. Working here opened a ton of doors for me.

But.

They do NOT pay well. I realize there is no Union there, and yes I know that it offers a modest pension, but had I stayed in Denver making Denver nursing money, I never would have gotten anywhere financially. I started off, as a RN, at 22.50/hr. At the time that I left, I was still making less than $28/hr. In Denver. Which is not cheap.

So, I moved to Hawaii, worked at Queen’s Medical Center. HI is unionized - I can’t stress enough how superior this is. Nothing made me more upset than knowing that other lesser qualified or less loyal employees were making more money hourly than me. People I started at UCH with left, came back, and got rewarded with a higher hourly than me. By making this move, I doubled my pay, knew that no one was getting rewarded for leaving and coming back - and got to live in HI. Best years of my life.

About 3.5 years ago, I made my most recent move to the Bay, and I work at Stanford. I have gotten another significant pay bump by making this move (I know they Bay is crazy expensive, but I still come out ahead).

I love Denver to death, I was born there and consider it my home city. But just know that you work too hard to make less than your worth. If you feel shortchanged, absolutely consider a move to HI or CA (both Union states).

Thanks for sharing. I’m glad your experience at UCH was so positive. Because they lock new grads in at a set hourly rate on 2 year contracts, I’ve always thought of it as a bit of a “new grad factory.” I’m glad you had a positive experience.

It’s also cool to hear about the better opportunities out there in other states.

If all states don’t start paying their hospital staff more, the system seems like it’s headed towards collapse tbh

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
Not everywhere in CA is unionized. It’s hospital by hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
I quit my job!

For almost eight years I've been a tele/stepdown nurse at a very busy hospital but staffing issues and other things have become so bad that I'm finally looking to go and get some of that travel nurse money.

Where can I go for advice?

It's all pretty daunting with multiple agencies and hospitals and contracts to choose from. Do I use a recruiter? Do I use one of the 'self-service' agencies? How are contracts made up and how worried should I be that rates seem to be dropping and contracts are being cancelled/cut short due to low census? how worried should I be that congress is talking about capping nurse pay rates?

California is far away but they have high pay rates and are the only state with legally mandated (and enforced) safe staffing ratios so I'm looking mostly there. But I may also try to get something closer to home if the rates are not much lower than CA?

I follow the travel nurse subreddit but it's of limited value for a beginner, i think. What can you tell me?