Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Fimbulvetr posted:

Just bought this one.

And I think it's pretty badass!

Holy poo poo, the engine cowling looks a little different, but is that a Sugga?

Where the hell are you that you found one of these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fimbulvetr
Sep 3, 2007
Hardest metal known to man.
It is indeed.
It's been a dream car of mine for many years and yesterday night I drove about 9 941 miles (if my km to miles translation is correct) to and fro to buy it and only came back this morning.

I live in Sweden and even here they're rare. So many were sold to the baltic countries and Finland, England, Norway and the U.S and the ones that are left are rotting or being rebuilt into willys and "EPA"'s (Slow tractor-like vehicles that 16 year olds can drive at 30km/h max).

I have no hopes of restoring this to its original shape but I'll try my damndest.
And I know nothing about cars but this is a project that I expect will take years.

It has a wood gas furnace on it now which I will remove and save for some future project.

Fimbulvetr fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 18, 2011

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Hahahaha, Sup, fellow "Crazy rear end Volvo Truck" buddy. :D

I'm pretty fortunate in that I've got my C304 running and was able to take it out to play today; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Iby_tnIfhg

Ever since I spotted the C303/304 series, and a Sugga popped up as a sidebar link to one of the searches, my girlfriend's been wanting one, but we've pretty much despaired of ever finding one - You're absolutely right in that they are rare as gently caress. most of them got abused/converted/left to rot in a field somewhere.

Apparently one pops up now and again on bringatrailer.com, but even in hulked out form they still command upwards of $20,000.

Seriously, Good luck on that project.

Looking at the photos it's surprisingly mostly there, externally at least.
If you can, get a part time job at a body shop, you can learn a lot that you're going to need to know to get this back up and running.

Fimbulvetr
Sep 3, 2007
I've read your new car thread and I am enjoying it a lot. It is nice to see that puppy out frolicing :). The sugga has a weak original engine though so I can probably not do what you do in your video with it unless i transplant something else into it. I paid about $5,7k for this one but there were two on a swedish trading site called "Blocket.se" where they ran for about €10.000 and $12.483 (70.000NOK).

I would like to begin with disassembling the motor and clean that. I imagine it will be sooty eventhough it turns as it is now. Winter is coming fast though and garages that you can hire a spot to work in are rare and expensive in my town so I might start with fixing some of the more rusty spots. I'll probably make a project thread here later on when I get started and you are most welcome to help me there since I know practically nothing.

I am lucky to have two car smart friends though.

Edit:
Grammar.

Fimbulvetr fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Sep 18, 2011

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

In one case you have an advantage over me - your body is Steel, mine's aluminum. There's a lot of information out there on how to do steel body repairs, and at least one of the goons here is a professional and a goddamned magician at it - he just made a thread about a Fury being restored to a 70's cop car that had my jaw on the floor.

I'd definately take care of the rust as quick as you can, and don't be lazy about it - if you leave any, it will grow to other parts even if you cover it up.

As for the engine, the original one may be weak, but that thing has a standard drivetrain layout so a swap should be extraordinarily easy. On the TGB-13? The engine and transmission are so tightly packed and integrated into the vehicle, doing a drivetrain swap is a nightmare of epic proportions. I was originally going to try and find a short diesel block with a short transmission to stuff behind it, but at this point I think I'm just going to leave it stock and tweak the output of the stock engine instead. And I've DONE engine swaps before.

Seriously though, you managed to grab an awesome cruck (is it a car, or is it a truck? it's both!) - I look forward to your build thread. :D

the chic in psychic
Jun 18, 2005
U r Stinky Mcbutt mkay?

Fimbulvetr posted:

Just bought this one.

And I think it's pretty badass!

Hmm, a Volvo "Sugga" ?

Edit: Holy poo poo it is

Frodo Baggins
Nov 3, 2005
forum hobbit
Brought this 1994 Ford Probe GT home a couple of weeks ago, it's my first car. The day I brought it home though, a deer slammed into the side of it. :sigh: Just got it back from the shop on monday.

Every time these headlights pop up I get a big grin on my face.

Every time I drive this thing it puts a big smile on my face. Also I'm not 100% certain but I think this has a shift kit in it, at least that's what it acts like. It also has european taillights and a rear foglight.
Also the shop messed up when they adjusted the height of the headlight. Is there any way to fix that easily or should I just go back to them and tell them they didn't repair it properly?

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.

davebo posted:

Corsa exhaust

Had this on the Vette I had back in 06 or 07. LOVED the way that thing sounded! good choice!

Frodo Baggins posted:

Also I'm not 100% certain but I think this has a shift kit in it, at least that's what it acts like.

Not to be a dick, but you may wanna have a mechanic check that out cause it could be an iffy tranny. A hard shift in an automatic can feel like a shift kit. I mean it is a Probe...

Frodo Baggins
Nov 3, 2005
forum hobbit

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

Not to be a dick, but you may wanna have a mechanic check that out cause it could be an iffy tranny. A hard shift in an automatic can feel like a shift kit. I mean it is a Probe...

Yeah, it's scheduled to go to another shop next week to get that checked out. The dealer was the one that told me it probably had a shift kit installed... not really sure if I trust him or not though. I'm well aware of the issues that these transmissions have with this engine (overheating). As soon as I have some spare time/money I intend on getting a transmission cooler for it. Most places I read about it said it's a fairly simple thing to do... I just have no idea where the best place or even how to mount it.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Frodo Baggins posted:

Yeah, it's scheduled to go to another shop next week to get that checked out. The dealer was the one that told me it probably had a shift kit installed... not really sure if I trust him or not though. I'm well aware of the issues that these transmissions have with this engine (overheating). As soon as I have some spare time/money I intend on getting a transmission cooler for it. Most places I read about it said it's a fairly simple thing to do... I just have no idea where the best place or even how to mount it.

Better idea: manual transmission swap.

Frodo Baggins
Nov 3, 2005
forum hobbit
isn't that a bit harder than just getting one and dropping it in along with a third pedal though? I assume there's a ton of electrical stuff that would need converting and the ECU would need changing. Then again, if the auto ever shits the bed, it might come out cheaper to swap it to manual than to replace it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I have a friend that just did an ATX to MTX swap in his 626. I'll ask if the MX6 is the same and get some details.

Edit: the best way is to find a manual donor with a popped motor.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Its best to sell it and find the proper options and trim. Factory perfect manual swaps tend to be quite complicated.

Frodo Baggins
Nov 3, 2005
forum hobbit

DJ Commie posted:

Its best to sell it and find the proper options and trim. Factory perfect manual swaps tend to be quite complicated.

This echoes what I've heard from people including one of my mechanic friends. Not saying that it's not possible, just that it's a huge pain in the rear end and ultimately not worth the work over finding one that came with a manual

Fimbulvetr
Sep 3, 2007
I am sorry but this post is only relevant to my previous posts in this thread. I've made a blog for those interested in following my Sugga ventures at suggan.blogspot.com and I am planning on making a project thread here in AI in time when I can move in to the garage that I found today.

Sorry to ghost update the thread but thanks for shown interest.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
My first "fun" car. Excuse the photo quality.

Lump Shaker fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 26, 2011

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Sockington posted:

I have a friend that just did an ATX to MTX swap in his 626. I'll ask if the MX6 is the same and get some details.

Edit: the best way is to find a manual donor with a popped motor.

As much as it pains me to say this, I'd recommend reading up over on ProbeTalk's forums, they have members who have done literally everything there is to do to a Probe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lump Shaker posted:

Pretty! I love the current model.

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

Lump Shaker posted:

Wingless Ralliart right?

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
Thanks! Yes, the Ralliart with the touring package comes without the spoiler.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
I just picked up a 2011 WRX today!

Now I have to decide whether I should keep my NA Miata.

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

Had this on the Vette I had back in 06 or 07. LOVED the way that thing sounded! good choice!

Corsa is by far and away the best Corvette exhaust. I LOVE my SLP Loudmouth but god drat does it drone on the inside. I've been waiting to put in my cam because my exhaust is just way too loud and once that cam goes in... bleh.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off

goatse guy posted:

Very nice looking! Did you have any trouble finding one with the options you wanted? I was looking at these a few months ago and the dealership kept making noises about how the earthquake was going to make them scarcer and scarcer but I figured they were just being full of poo poo. They give you any guff when price negotiating?

Walka Blocka Shame
Apr 30, 2006

This is fine
Doctor Rope
Just bought this hunk of metal. A bit of a project but I've always wanted an El Camino.

Frodo Baggins
Nov 3, 2005
forum hobbit
I never knew they made a cap for an El Camino. Looks like a fun car.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

ZenMastaT posted:

Very nice looking! Did you have any trouble finding one with the options you wanted? I was looking at these a few months ago and the dealership kept making noises about how the earthquake was going to make them scarcer and scarcer but I figured they were just being full of poo poo. They give you any guff when price negotiating?

I went to a "best price" dealership. If you try to haggle with them, they'll tell you to gently caress right off.

They didn't have any in stock when I went to go look for one and gave me some lines about the earthquake, but they showed me a big list of all of the cars that were coming in and let me take my pick. It was between this and a bunch of highly-optioned cars. I had to keep it under $30k with all of the taxes and fees and nothing else would have come close.

Did you end up buying something else?

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Decided to wash and wax today and grab another pic. I was really worried about having buyers remorse when I had bought the car, but so far I am still in love with it!

KeanuReevesGhost fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 28, 2011

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

goatse guy posted:

If you're anything like me, you'll start to miss the RWD in about 3-6 months. If your Miata is in decent shape keep it.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off

goatse guy posted:

I went to a "best price" dealership. If you try to haggle with them, they'll tell you to gently caress right off.

They didn't have any in stock when I went to go look for one and gave me some lines about the earthquake, but they showed me a big list of all of the cars that were coming in and let me take my pick. It was between this and a bunch of highly-optioned cars. I had to keep it under $30k with all of the taxes and fees and nothing else would have come close.

Did you end up buying something else?

What kind of options did you end up with? I was actually looking at STI's originally but a lot of the comfort options sort of felt like a step down from my Legacy GT so I ended up going with a used BMW instead.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Wrar posted:

If you're anything like me, you'll start to miss the RWD in about 3-6 months. If your Miata is in decent shape keep it.

Why miss rwd for awd?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

angryhampster posted:

Why miss rwd for awd?

Too much traction is a bummer.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

angryhampster posted:

Why miss rwd for awd?

Fishtails and powerslides are as addictive as some opiates.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

meatpimp posted:

This poster is correct. I've driven quite a few AWD vehicles, and as fun as they are, I'm sticking with my RWD platforms.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

meatpimp posted:

In a Miata though? Even if thats possible its not what they're about.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

dissss posted:

All of my RWD cars have been dogs - I mean 302, 307, freakin' Buick V6.. but I still miss being able to make the rear kick and wobble.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

dissss posted:

You've never had a turbo Miata. Especially at 20psi.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

dissss posted:

You're not driving it properly, then

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

meatpimp posted:

You've never had a turbo Miata. Especially at 20psi.

That's true. I was assuming stock NA

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
Oh yeah, this thread.

Sold the E55, bought this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Holy poo poo. Nice choice. I miss the original wheels though.

dissss posted:

That's true. I was assuming stock NA

Stock NAs can dance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qi-wHwLMQg