Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Check out the Soft Moon LP. It's their debut album that came out this year but might be something you'd enjoy. It's fairly sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Dope.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What bands are out there similar to Mumford & Sons? I can only listen to the Sigh No More album for so long until their new one comes out. Personally I think they pretty much hit the best balance of folk/rock without one encroaching over the other. In honesty though I'd prefer too little folk instead of too much, if I had to choose.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Avocados posted:

What bands are out there similar to Mumford & Sons? I can only listen to the Sigh No More album for so long until their new one comes out. Personally I think they pretty much hit the best balance of folk/rock without one encroaching over the other. In honesty though I'd prefer too little folk instead of too much, if I had to choose.

Try The Paper Kites' Woodland EP

they have another one coming out in September, too

edit: Also try Junip (Jose Gonzales' band)

also Boy & Bear

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 23, 2012

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Avocados posted:

Local Natives and The Dodos are both pretty similar in the folk-rock with drums thing.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBTuyF1T7zA

Frightened Rabbit are probably the closest band I can think of, to the extent that when I first heard Mumford & Sons I thought it was Frightened Rabbit.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Local Natives and The Dodos are both pretty similar in the folk-rock with drums thing.

Seconding Local Natives, although I'd say they're slightly less folky.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

SilkyP posted:

Hey I'm looking for some ambient/electronic music with Indian (from India) undertones. Anything like this exist?

Give Govinda a try - it's definitely electronic and Indian. If more ambient / trip-hoppy thing is what you're after, you might take a look at Banmarsh & Shri, Kaya Project and maybe Thievery Corporation.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Thanks for the suggestions guys, i'll start looking those people up right now :)

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

I was listening to Regina Spektor's version of "Lady (Sings the Blues)", and drat do I really like the last minute with the piano/sax duet. I've never been a jazz-brain, as most of the genre scares me off, but I really want to find something like what that last minute feels like. More somber and melodic I guess? Definitely not looking for hardcore minimalism/experimentation. Something for when you just turn on the lamps in your room at night, open the window, and zone out with a beer.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 25, 2012

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

Manket posted:

Something for when you just turn on the lamps in your room at night, open the window, and zone out with a beer.

Charlie Parker and Miles Davis.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Lately I've been really enjoying Bullion's Pet Sounds in the Key of Dee and Max Tannone's Ghostfunk and Mos Dub projects; are there any more quality mash-up artists around like this, that really blend together the two sampled artists together seamlessly? I've heard The Grey Album and Wugazi which are ok, but aside from that the vast majority of these sort of projects seems to be tacky nerd crap or just really stale and amateur-feeling. I guess I'm looking for really well-done mash-ups that actually attempt something a bit transformative with the material? (Or blogs that specialize in this sort of thing?)

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

I guess I'm looking for really well-done mash-ups that actually attempt something a bit transformative with the material?

Team Teamwork's Ocarina of Rhyme is awesome- I much prefer a few of their tracks to the originals. Also, while I wasn't impressed with Wugazi or The Grey Album, the Pavement/Jay-Z Slack Album is pretty good. There was a hyphy Radiohead album that was something of a guilty pleasure, but I can't remember what it was called, and then of course there's always this

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Avocados posted:

Another one that's not been mentioned is Stornoway (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjG4dUlucVw, [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWQzwU_imT0 or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dSQfBJprms). They don't quite straddle the folk/rock boundary the same as Mumford & Sons, but they're pretty close if not quite as miserable.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
I know this one gets asked a lot so bear with me. For what ever reason I never really listened to jungle outside of that Soul Jazz compilation, but now I want to hear more. A lot more. I nabbed everything from 28 Gun Bad Boy's UK Bass history thing and got some Suburban Base compilations. I like the more reggae and dancehall influenced stuff than the hardcore stuff but I still dig the hardcore sound.

I looked for the old EW jungle thread but couldn't find it, if someone knows what year it was from that would be way helpful.

Kosher man
May 8, 2002
Probably a bit out there but anyone have any good suggestions for some Doo Wop albumbs?

Kosher man
May 8, 2002

Big Bidness posted:

Everything he did from like 70 - 75 is essential. Definitely get Curtis, Curtis Live, and Roots. I'd start with Curtis Live, it's one of the best live records ever made, and it's pretty much Curtis in his absolute prime.

If you're into Curtis Mayfield, you also might want to check out Baby Huey. He cut one record that was released on Curtom, Mayfield's label, that was put out after he died. He has an amazing voice, and there's a couple of Curtis Mayfield covers on his record. His version of Hard Times is an absolute classic.

I will second this recommendation for Baby Huey. Great album and his cover "A change is going to come" is simply amazing!

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Kosher man posted:

Probably a bit out there but anyone have any good suggestions for some Doo Wop albumbs?
Just to be sure you know what you're looking for, Doo-Wop tends to be about middle-paced, vocal-centric and harmonizing-heavy rhythm and blues. Often when people mention Doo-Wop they tend to mean rhythm and blues on the whole. For instance, Little Richard is not doo-wop, but is a rhythm and blues artist. Also, they were cut when "albums" weren't much more than singles compiled onto a long-player, so you might have better luck with a compilation from multiple artists than anything.

Anyway, The Orlons are pretty fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Wk98IH2fU
The Dixie Cups
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXJCjVJZvH0
The Flares
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORVq37SsNus

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

I know this one gets asked a lot so bear with me. For what ever reason I never really listened to jungle outside of that Soul Jazz compilation, but now I want to hear more. A lot more. I nabbed everything from 28 Gun Bad Boy's UK Bass history thing and got some Suburban Base compilations. I like the more reggae and dancehall influenced stuff than the hardcore stuff but I still dig the hardcore sound.

I looked for the old EW jungle thread but couldn't find it, if someone knows what year it was from that would be way helpful.

Was the Sub-Base comps their Drum & Bass Selection series? (Actually out on their Breakdown compilation sublabel). If so good choice as they're pure solid.

I'm not really too up on the late 90s onwards stuff. Purely Garage from me then, so others will know better. It's obviously a bit hard just to throw out singles as there's a billion and you'd get lost, but I can name a couple of comps that lean more on that jump-up/ragga side of things.

Labello Blanco put out a 3-4 comps of their Jungle Massive series. The first one or two are still on early days so maybe aren't quite so bombastic like you want, but still pretty loving hot.

Famous UK reggae label Fashion Records (run out the famous Dub Vendor store, still there - online only now sadly - and one of the few places nowadays I can find new UK reggae, dancehall and dub stuff) had a Jungle label creatively called Jungle Fashion Records. Anyway they put out a whole bunch of twelves and collected a lot of the stuff on two comps called Rumble In The Jungle (obv totally different from the Soul Jazz thing). Actually only two artists technically on each plate, but their vocals have been remixed by Jungle artists and put onto a Jungle beat. So you've got the likes of Kenny Ken, DJ SS, Chris Mack and more doing up Top Cat, Cutty Ranks and General Levy. Sadly too many other would just stick a ragga vocal over a amen and call it a day (pretty much any Jungle out on Greensleeves), but in this case it's all done well.

Jet Star cashed in too with their Street Tuff Records Jungle Hits series. There's 3 in the series I think (though I've only got the first 2), but they're proper comps with proper artists on them. Some tunes are pure bait but nae bad all round.

And a couple of proper label comps now. Kemet/Parousia Records put out the loving fantastic Champion Jungle Sound album in '95, kinda collecting bits and pieces Kemet/Ibiza Records had released up to then, updating some stuff and some new tunes. Just total amazing to this day.

Formation Records also put out a great comp called Highly Recommended. I still get total lighted when I hear Black VIP. "V-V-V-I-I-I-P-P-P Dub-dub-dubplate biz-bizness" loving yass! Anytime anywhere I'm up and total brocking out, gunfingers in the air. Plus the CD version has a mix CD which really shows you what the whole UK thing is really about.

Anyway I hope they'll be of some use, hopefully something more along the lines of what you're looking for. There's people far more knowledgeable about Jungle/D&B here than me, so they might know better. I'd also say it's worth checking the likes of goldenerajungle.com and just trawling their mixtape selections (often from very famous dances back in the day). 1994 is roughly when you can say the hardcore thing started to leave the scene, which kinda split between the Bukem/Speed type stuff and Ragga/Jump-Up after that. So post-94 and even '95 is probably what you're looking at (you could check any DJ Hype set from '95/96 for a start for proper jump-up action).

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I will love a goon forever (in all the ways a goon can be loved) if somebody can recommend music that fits a particular style I am absolutely in love with.

Two tracks that exemplify it are In Search Of by Miike Snow (especially from about 3:05 onwards) and M4 Part 2 by Faunts. How I would describe this kind of music is electronic, intense, moody, dark, synth-filled, sonically complex (wankity wank), futuristic sounding. Also this is weird but I generally prefer male vocalists (some exceptions are Roisin Murphy and whatserface from Little Dragon).

I've had no luck with music recommendation services like Spotify and Last.fm.
• For Miike Snow I get bands like Lykke Li which are okay but not really what I'm after. These recommendations are usually based on Miike Snow's happy poppy stuff, which I also like, but my favourite songs by them are their few darker songs (In Search Of and Silvia).
• For Faunts, because two of their songs happened to be featured in Mass Effect games, I get nearly nothing but video game music recommendations FOR FUCKS SAKE.

Please halp. I'd love to find out there's this vast sub-subgenre of electronic music I've yet to discover and it will all of a sudden unveil itself and deliver my next 5 favourite bands.

gently caress, I'd even just love it if Miike Snow and Faunts kept writing songs like these :(

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 26, 2012

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Was the Sub-Base comps their Drum & Bass Selection series? (Actually out on their Breakdown compilation sublabel). If so good choice as they're pure solid.

I'm not really too up on the late 90s onwards stuff. Purely Garage from me then, so others will know better. It's obviously a bit hard just to throw out singles as there's a billion and you'd get lost, but I can name a couple of comps that lean more on that jump-up/ragga side of things.

Labello Blanco put out a 3-4 comps of their Jungle Massive series. The first one or two are still on early days so maybe aren't quite so bombastic like you want, but still pretty loving hot.

Famous UK reggae label Fashion Records (run out the famous Dub Vendor store, still there - online only now sadly - and one of the few places nowadays I can find new UK reggae, dancehall and dub stuff) had a Jungle label creatively called Jungle Fashion Records. Anyway they put out a whole bunch of twelves and collected a lot of the stuff on two comps called Rumble In The Jungle (obv totally different from the Soul Jazz thing). Actually only two artists technically on each plate, but their vocals have been remixed by Jungle artists and put onto a Jungle beat. So you've got the likes of Kenny Ken, DJ SS, Chris Mack and more doing up Top Cat, Cutty Ranks and General Levy. Sadly too many other would just stick a ragga vocal over a amen and call it a day (pretty much any Jungle out on Greensleeves), but in this case it's all done well.

Jet Star cashed in too with their Street Tuff Records Jungle Hits series. There's 3 in the series I think (though I've only got the first 2), but they're proper comps with proper artists on them. Some tunes are pure bait but nae bad all round.

And a couple of proper label comps now. Kemet/Parousia Records put out the loving fantastic Champion Jungle Sound album in '95, kinda collecting bits and pieces Kemet/Ibiza Records had released up to then, updating some stuff and some new tunes. Just total amazing to this day.

Formation Records also put out a great comp called Highly Recommended. I still get total lighted when I hear Black VIP. "V-V-V-I-I-I-P-P-P Dub-dub-dubplate biz-bizness" loving yass! Anytime anywhere I'm up and total brocking out, gunfingers in the air. Plus the CD version has a mix CD which really shows you what the whole UK thing is really about.

Anyway I hope they'll be of some use, hopefully something more along the lines of what you're looking for. There's people far more knowledgeable about Jungle/D&B here than me, so they might know better. I'd also say it's worth checking the likes of goldenerajungle.com and just trawling their mixtape selections (often from very famous dances back in the day). 1994 is roughly when you can say the hardcore thing started to leave the scene, which kinda split between the Bukem/Speed type stuff and Ragga/Jump-Up after that. So post-94 and even '95 is probably what you're looking at (you could check any DJ Hype set from '95/96 for a start for proper jump-up action).

Thank you thank you thank you

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Terrible request, but does anyone have any good songs that are comparable to loving on the Dance Floor by Dirty Sanchez? Just gross, overly sexual electro? Transvestites aside. Or even electro-inspired pop? It's not a particularly good song but something about it just gets me.

e: Bonus points for being really bitchy.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 27, 2012

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
I'm trying to find something that may or may not exist. I'd like to find a specific type of hybrid of rock/metal and blues/country/folk/southern rock. Something with riffs and solos and a gruff singer with soul. I've found some bands that come close but they always seem to swing father than I am looking for in either the metal(Down, Maylene & The Sons of Disaster, Opeth at times) or blues (Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Civil Wars) direction, I'm looking for more of a 50/50 blend rather than a band of one genre with elements of the other. Any thoughts?

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Hedrigall posted:

I will love a goon forever (in all the ways a goon can be loved) if somebody can recommend music that fits a particular style I am absolutely in love with.

They are a little more hard rock/metal than Faunts, but Junius reminds me a bit of Faunts:

All Shall Float:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDDdVCEgjyw
Betray The Grave:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JU3W9itQXY

For dark but energetic instrumental electronic, Autoclav1.1 is my go to:

Casually Losing Selected Memories:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W3oZWOv8KU
All For You:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzXkzp4-zCU

Industrial fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 28, 2012

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Industrial posted:

I'm trying to find something that may or may not exist. I'd like to find a specific type of hybrid of rock/metal and blues/country/folk/southern rock. Something with riffs and solos and a gruff singer with soul. I've found some bands that come close but they always seem to swing father than I am looking for in either the metal(Down, Maylene & The Sons of Disaster, Opeth at times) or blues (Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Civil Wars) direction, I'm looking for more of a 50/50 blend rather than a band of one genre with elements of the other. Any thoughts?

Maybe Weedeater? There is no mistaking them for anything but metal, but their themes, lyrics, and (occasionally) riffs have a lot of blues and country influence.

The first two lead into each other on their album And Justice for Y'all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5MakcUz4Ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hniY6fBD2Ck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVE8i5X8e2Y

Or maybe Mule?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkJ3yAg0jLs

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Industrial posted:

I wouldn't call the singer gruff, but try the Heavy Eyes.
http://theheavyeyesmemphis.bandcamp.com/album/heavy-eyes

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Industrial posted:

Clutch seems like pretty much exactly what you're looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx6FV2qR2TY

or maybe Fu Manchu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9IR8XwA_9A

Industrial
May 31, 2001

a false posted:

Clutch seems like pretty much exactly what you're looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx6FV2qR2TY

Haha, were these guys "The Midnight Riders" from Left 4 Dead? That's actually what got me thinking about this kind of music. Awesome.

edit: They are not, YouTube comments have led me astray.

Industrial fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 28, 2012

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Industrial posted:

I can't think of any bands whose entire catalogue is in that style, but a few VAST songs are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmdBDAiPdGA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA-Q5mItOFo
But most of the rest of their stuff is more electronica influenced (and avoid anything after their album "Nude", by god that band got poo poo).

There's also Live, who have some awesome songs (but got a bit creepy christian in their later albums):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bABkvzdBxkw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgdKMHoEFqk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhK81DrXfe0 (bad sound quality)

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Industrial posted:

Haha, were these guys "The Midnight Riders" from Left 4 Dead? That's actually what got me thinking about this kind of music. Awesome.

edit: They are not, YouTube comments have led me astray.

I'm not sure what that is as I've never played that game, but they do seem awfully close to your description.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Sludge Tank posted:

Great. The genre I was looking for... thanks a bunch.

Sorry for the vague description... been a long night.

Strong psychedelic undertones are what I'm really looking for.... thankyou again.

The Tear Garden. Legendary Pink Dots. You're welcome.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I don't suppose anyone could point me in the way of French rock? I started listening to the different international channels on songza and I'm falling in love with french music, but I've not had great luck finding more.

Not french artists, but ones I like for taste comparison:

Yo
Alexi Murdoch
Warlock
Rhapsody
Anna Ternheim
Barenaked Ladies
The Black Keys

My music tastes are a bit eclectic, so I'll try anything recommended.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Terrible request, but does anyone have any good songs that are comparable to loving on the Dance Floor by Dirty Sanchez? Just gross, overly sexual electro? Transvestites aside. Or even electro-inspired pop? It's not a particularly good song but something about it just gets me.

I'm not sure this is exactly what you're looking for but have you heard Benny Benassi?
:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5bYDhZBFLA:nws:
:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeTWBgBylrs:nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivwAgdY60wM

It's not really exactly what you're asking for but I find alot of his stuff just feels like it's dripping with raw, dirty, almost unpleasant sexuality.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

You're looking for E-Rotic. Oh, the 90s...

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

NerdyNautilusGirl posted:

I don't suppose anyone could point me in the way of French rock? I started listening to the different international channels on songza and I'm falling in love with french music, but I've not had great luck finding more.

I listen to some French and Japanese stuff. Maybe give "DaisyBox" a try.

"Superbus" is another one but it's more poppy than rocky!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

feedmyleg posted:

Haha, not what you're looking for, but Boob-a-Q by Kevin Blechdom is an amazing parody of gross, overly sexual dance music.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So I just recently heard the beautiful sounds of L.P., not entirely sure what genre you would count her as, but anyone know of some artists that are similar (kinda folksy + rock + alternative + booming vocals, idk)? Preferably female vocalist as well, but not as important.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

NerdyNautilusGirl posted:

Not french artists, but ones I like for taste comparison:

Yo
Alexi Murdoch
Warlock
Rhapsody
Anna Ternheim
Barenaked Ladies
The Black Keys

Troublemakers?

Tyrol is French rocky reggae.

fraggle rockist
Jan 28, 2009

by T. Finninho
Anyone have any recommendations for bands similar to Bone Awl/Raspberry Bulbs/Iskra/Ildjarn or the whole youth attack black metal stuff like Grinning Death's Head? Blackened Crust, or Raw Black Metal or whatever it's called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for some really ambient stuff, like Biosphere. Whenever I put them into Pandora I usually get stuff that is a bit too much like music and not enough like white noise. That's not to say I want total white noise, but I want stuff that's extremely atmospheric like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9zA68z9zMo
or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVVcU2n8QCg