Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

loving posers, Canon actually pays me royalties every time they sell a camera or flash that does second curtain sync.

Not pretentious enough.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/Leica/Leica-M3/M3-Gold/index.htm

Leica: fleecing rich people with no taste since the mid twentieth century :wotwot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Psh just gold plated. I might buy that as a cheap toy for my kids. It's solid gold or nothing

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
What is a rangefinder?

I assume it's a camera without a reflex viewinder/shutter combo?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rangefinder+camera

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Hey fellow goon photogs.

In a month or so I'm going to have the opportunity to bum around Los Vegas for a couple of days, and I'm wondering if anyone can throw out any "MUST SEE" locations. Or anything incredibly picturesque that's preferably free, or at most $10.

After that it we'll be going to the grand canyon which again, if anyone knows of any particularly great spots, it'd be cool to know ahead of time so we can plan the trip better.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

EatinCake posted:

Hey fellow goon photogs.

In a month or so I'm going to have the opportunity to bum around Los Vegas for a couple of days, and I'm wondering if anyone can throw out any "MUST SEE" locations. Or anything incredibly picturesque that's preferably free, or at most $10.

After that it we'll be going to the grand canyon which again, if anyone knows of any particularly great spots, it'd be cool to know ahead of time so we can plan the trip better.

I've seen some pretty cool time lapse stuff just from the balcony of a hotel room that happened to be high enough and facing a favorable direction, so keep in mind that sort of stuff. Walking the Strip and doing street photography should keep you pretty entertained, if you're looking for cheap.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Don't forget to put gaffers tape over all the gold.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

This was in an article about how saving money by going shopping in the USA instead of staying here and buying at home.

I'm not sure what part of that I think is better: the fact that anyone buying a 5DMarkII would think the first necessary lens to buy is obviously a fisheye, or the fact that it's apparently a 15 meter fisheye.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

HookShot posted:

This was in an article about how saving money by going shopping in the USA instead of staying here and buying at home.

I'm not sure what part of that I think is better: the fact that anyone buying a 5DMarkII would think the first necessary lens to buy is obviously a fisheye, or the fact that it's apparently a 15 meter fisheye.

I like how they arbitrarily doubled the amount of mp3 players and sunglasses just to make their graph prettier. Especially since nothing is to scale anyways.

But seriously you guys do get hosed on prices. Friend of mine moved from Seattle to Perth last year, I enjoy the stories he reports back of the ridiculous prices on everything from bikes to beer.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

I call it the "living on an island tax". It is truly terrible. I can do one better on the shoes, I want to buy a pair of Asics trainers here, $180; same pair from the US, $60. 3x the price, gimme a break.

We live closer to China and Japan, so we should have things cheaper than many other places, but we don't. I'm confused as to whether we are being held ransom by the distributors or if it's because we're overtaxed.

If I can buy something cheaper online, I will.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It's because traditionally the AUD has been around $0.60 to $0.65 USD. As recently as April-May 2009 even. Then the dollar climbed up to being worth more than the American dollar really quickly, but none of the shops actually bothered to lower any of their prices, so now we're totally hosed over when it comes to price.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
It's the same with canada, stuff is always much cheaper in the US and it is RIGHT there, its not like there is crazy shipping or something.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
If it makes you guys feel better, most stuff is cheaper in American than it is in Japan, WHERE IT IS MADE.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
As a Canadian expat, I can say with confidence that the price increases over the states are NOTHING compared to what we have in Australia.

My laptop was $599 on Dell Canada and $899 on Dell Australia.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Even when our dollar was around $0.70, it was quite often still cheaper to import. The fact our dollar is much higher just amplifies the issue.

If only all companies would allow Amazon to ship their products here and B&H didn't charge a minimum of ~$40 to ship here, regardless of size or price.

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.

Danoss posted:

Even when our dollar was around $0.70, it was quite often still cheaper to import. The fact our dollar is much higher just amplifies the issue.

If only all companies would allow Amazon to ship their products here and B&H didn't charge a minimum of ~$40 to ship here, regardless of size or price.

What's worse is when there's price fixing. Like Nixon watches (and I assume Rayban do it too). You pay $500 Australian for a watch where you can get it in America for ~$200. (And gaming, don't get me started on that.)

What's actually related to photography is the Impossible Project.
With shipping from their "International" Online store (where you got fixed priced shipping) I was able to get a single shot for $2.8AUS (okay, it's a loving lot, but I like polaroids). This is including shipping.
Oh, now that they've opened a new Online store for Australia, I can pay $4.5AU per shot NOT INCLUDING SHIPPING.
So I complain about this loudly on Twitter (I wanted some of these cool black frame fuckups which were broken but might produce cool results). So the USA guys say, sure we can ship to you, just ask. So I email the USA IP (saying that the Twitter guys have told me it's possible to ship to me), who forward it to Worldwide, who forward it to Australia who says they don't have any of the fuckups in stock. (Basically, no one read my email, just the subject.)
I re-complain about it on Twitter, USA IP tell me I emailed Worldwide which I didn't and then proceeded to explain that I didn't. And they told me I would need to DM them personally to work it out, except they have sold out. Then they tell me they have new stock and I should DM my email. Which I do, and they never get back to me.

Safe enough to say I loving hate price fixing.
(And you can't buy from a different store because it auto directs you to the Australian online store when you put in your address.)

I'm not saying IP is bad. They are just a company (who like money) with a Twitter account who gets shirty (hey, we both got equally pissed), and a service desk who doesn't read emails.

Edit: These are the cool hosed up polaroids I wanted to get.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Yeah, that poo poo is atrocious. Poor customer service on top of ripping you off for no reason (other than more profits) would annoy me to no end.

I think I may try something like HopShopGo for buying stuff that is price fixed or region restricted. I've heard good things, but haven't looked at prices and such for their shipping.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I'd just like to reflect on the fact that I took photographs last night of two people lit entirely by two candles with a 2.8 lens. The camera was able to accurately focus, too.

Cameras are ridiculous.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Are any of those digital photoframes any good? My sister is 21 and I was thinking of grabbing one and putting all her pics on one. Birthdays are hard. Don't wanna waste my money if they're shite though!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A5H posted:

Are any of those digital photoframes any good? My sister is 21 and I was thinking of grabbing one and putting all her pics on one. Birthdays are hard. Don't wanna waste my money if they're shite though!

My parents have one. For the basic group/fun photos they're fine. If they were really good shots, I'd rather spend the money on prints and frames.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

DJExile posted:

My parents have one. For the basic group/fun photos they're fine. If they were really good shots, I'd rather spend the money on prints and frames.

Reckon it's a good present for like £60? This would just be for facebook type pictures. She's not really into photography. Just can't think of much else. She has a wall full of photos she's always adding to so seems pretty useful I think?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

A frame with a bunch of pictures is a great thoughtful present. If she's always adding stuff, get one with WiFi.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

HookShot posted:

As a Canadian expat, I can say with confidence that the price increases over the states are NOTHING compared to what we have in Australia.

My laptop was $599 on Dell Canada and $899 on Dell Australia.

The weirdest thing with that is Dell Ultrasharp monitors are cheaper in Australia.

I paid $580 for the 27 inch and I think its about $800 in the US store.

That said we pay more because our country is better :D

Still GST, high wage costs, superannuation, better living standards, smaller buying power shouldn't equate to triple the price in some cases. I love how they want to put GST on imports under $1000 now as if the difference is only 10% and the service you get in most stores is just so fantastic.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

A5H posted:

Kodak Pulse 10" is awesome:
http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-W1030S-Pulse-10-Inch-Digital/dp/B003WOLOLK/ref=pd_cp_e_2

I gave it to my technically-challenged parents. Every 15 minutes the frame connects to WiFi and pulls down photos from a configured facebook account or from an email account (JPG attachments only). An icon pops up on the screen and once you click on it you get to see new photos. There's even a simple "reply" button. Isn't technology amazing ?

Downsides: the screen is low-res (800x600), i.e. no contest to an iphone or camera LCD screen. I have to apply heavy sharpening to make the images pop. Wifi antenna is weak, no flickr support.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Extra lens protection: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/06/good-times-with-bad-filters

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices

huh, looks like they ripped off our tower of UV filters at borrowlenses.com

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Yesterday, I went to stand up on a picnic table bench with 1DIII and 24-70 2.8 in hand. The bench extended past the legs, and I stood on the edge of the bench. Cue the entire bench flipping upward and my hand instinctively reaching down to catch myself. With the camera.

Yeah. That's why I use lens hoods. Camera + lens are unscathed, despite the hood breaking my fall. :cool:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Duckjob posted:

huh, looks like they ripped off our tower of UV filters at borrowlenses.com

Yes but they took pictures through the stack of filters. :colbert:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A5H posted:

Reckon it's a good present for like £60? This would just be for facebook type pictures. She's not really into photography. Just can't think of much else. She has a wall full of photos she's always adding to so seems pretty useful I think?

Yeah that would be great. :)

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

dakana posted:

Yeah. That's why I use lens hoods. Camera + lens are unscathed, despite the hood breaking my fall. :cool:

How many hoods did you stack?

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Which is weirder: that I haven't dreamed about photography until now, or that my first dream a couple nights ago was that my Vivitar 285HV could swivel and that I somehow hadn't noticed till now?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

Cross_ posted:

How many hoods did you stack?

I think you could get two in there if you first put on one that screws into the filter threads, and then put the bayonet mount one on there.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Casull posted:

Which is weirder: that I haven't dreamed about photography until now, or that my first dream a couple nights ago was that my Vivitar 285HV could swivel and that I somehow hadn't noticed till now?

I had this dream that I got hired to take photos of the president and my camera wouldn't take a photo, and then I switched bodies and that one wouldn't work either. Then I woke up in a cold sweat.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Wooten posted:

I had this dream that I got hired to take photos of the president and my camera wouldn't take a photo, and then I switched bodies and that one wouldn't work either. Then I woke up in a cold sweat.

Being Pete Souza would be awesome. Just because it looks like hes literally with the president 24/7 during everything that happens including the top secret stuff.

However it would be 8 years of intense work.

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002
Battle at F-stop ridge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awq90APEVgw&feature=player_embedded

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahaha that film jam and reload is great

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

I'm trying to interpret the comment where they said they shot at 1/100 for some of the slo-mo shots. Does this mean they shot it at 1/90 and then dropped it down to 1/48 in post to make it look slow?

(I'm such a cinematography noob.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Casull posted:

I'm trying to interpret the comment where they said they shot at 1/100 for some of the slo-mo shots. Does this mean they shot it at 1/90 and then dropped it down to 1/48 in post to make it look slow?

(I'm such a cinematography noob.)

Yep. But usually film people describe it in frames per second, not fractions. So I'm not sure why they used the 1/100 terminology.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
Motion picture camera shutters (mechanical ones anyway) are shaped like a circle, so 360 degrees, like a full pie. A normal shutter is 180 degrees, meaning the circle is missing half, so it looks like half of a pie. The shutter spins over the film gate 24 times in one second, thus yielding a 24fps filmstrip This creates a 1/48th second shutter speed because only half of the full shutter is there. Different shutter speeds can be selected by deciding how much of the "pie" is there. A 90 degree shutter (only 1/4 of the pie gone) yields a shutter speed of 1/96th of a second, which they rounded to 1/100. Then you can go crazy and use a 45 degree shutter (only 1/8th of the pie missing) and get the intense strobing "Saving Private Ryan" look (1/192 shutter speed). Keep in mind these are all at 24fps.

Slow motion works the same way. If you wanted to slow something down 50%, it would be shot 48fps (the shutter spinning over the film gate 48 time/sec and the film moving through the camera twice as fast), and then PLAYED BACK at 24fps. (If you played it back at 48fps it would appear normal speed.) When shooting at 48fps and 180 degree (normal) shutter, your shutter speed would be 1/96th. At a 90 degree shutter speed would be 1/192, and at a 45 degree shutter the shutter speed would be 1/384. You continue this pattern on for higher framerates. This is why high-speed cameras that shoot "fast enough" slow motion to capture bullets and stuff need TONS of light. If your camera is shooting 50,000fps, it needs a shutter speed equivalent of 1/100,000.

So in that description they were saying that they shot at a normal (180 degree) shutter until the battle began, then switched to a narrower (90 degree) shutter to get a small amount of that stroby war movie look. It's tough to tell whether they shot genuine slow motion or just slowed regular footage down though. If they did just slow it down in post, it didn't change the shutter speed, it changed the framerate. If they slowed it down 50% in post it went from 24fps to 12fps (meaning when played back at 24fps it just repeats each frame twice. All at 1/96th of a second.)

Whew, that was kinda long winded and probably needlessly complicated. Hope I could help!

That 70s Shirt fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

dakana posted:

Yesterday, I went to stand up on a picnic table bench with 1DIII and 24-70 2.8 in hand. The bench extended past the legs, and I stood on the edge of the bench. Cue the entire bench flipping upward and my hand instinctively reaching down to catch myself. With the camera.

I did that once, except I didn't have a camera, I was sitting instead of standing, and I spilled most of a game of beer pong on myself.

Wooten posted:

Every dream I've ever had involving a camera has involved somehow losing anywhere from a few shots to a whole roll of film by pulling it out of the camera in daylight or something similar and desperately trying to roll it back up by hand or cover it to prevent it from being ruined (for some reason this happens in slow motion.)

I'm sure a psychologist could have a field day with that, especially combined with the fact that not once have I ever had a dream in which a car's brakes were able to stop the car or I was able to successfully fire a gun, even a paintball gun.