Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Maestro posted:

drat I just ordered a case of rye yesterday.

It's 90 proof, so replace it with....Rittenhouse? Or try wild turkey rye.

You could do Hunter Rye :v:

Not really. I mean, it's drinkable, but not on the same level as even Turkey rye. I'll probably use it if I make egg nog again, though. Egg nog doesn't get good booze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Rye in nog huh? I haven't considered that...

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
wild turkey rye is real right for the price

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lokee posted:

:eyepop: holy gently caress grats mate!

I have much to catch y'all up on cocktail nerd friends, for now I wanted to drop this article in here and poll the room on price competitive alternatives (that are not Rittenhouse because you can't swap 80 proof out for 100 proof god drat it). I have had good experiences with Old Overholt, but I don't think it's got the same spice level that I appreciate in Bulleit Rye.
Thoughts?

My go-to drink is a tall Old Overholt, soda, and Angostura bitters after I've had my fill of Manhattans and Boulevardiers. It's a solid budget rye.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Overholt started tasted like peanut shells to me at a certain point and now I can't enjoy it.

Just drink Rittenhouse, c'mon. It's a difference of 5%.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

goferchan posted:

wild turkey rye is real right for the price

I like wild turkey and I like ryes but I hated WT rye. Overholt is a fine whiskey but the flavor is so mild I don't reach for it when I want that rye flavor. My new go to is the Crown Royal rye - pretty cheap at 30ish and it comes in a fancy box to boot.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Rye in nog is great.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Rye in nog huh? I haven't considered that...

I was making the Alton Brown nog but was short on bourbon and dark rum so I subbed in some Rittenhouse. Not comparable tastes, just to get the booze level up. Worked out well.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Great success with my cherry bourbon!

Probably about 20 lbs of cherries, washed and pitted by yours truly, and a case of four roses yellow label. Infused for between 1-2 months. Strained. Added demerara sugar to the cherries (at half the weight of the cherries - 10oz of cherries got 5oz of sugar). Agitated daily for 5 days until all the sugar dissolved. Now I have delicious intensely cherry flavored bourbon, amazing slightly boozy cherry syrup, and great preserved cherries. They shrunk a little but are still nice and firm.

I whipped up an orange oleosaccharum and made old fashioneds with cherry-orange syrup, peychauds, ango, and rye for a mad men themed album release party.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

^^^^ I'm salivating right now dude . Glad your project worked out, that sounds great. I know very little about fresh cherries and don't buy them very often.... is there a certain kind you used?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

goferchan posted:

^^^^ I'm salivating right now dude . Glad your project worked out, that sounds great. I know very little about fresh cherries and don't buy them very often.... is there a certain kind you used?

Just whatever was at market. Bing and Rainier I believe. I'm lucky to work at a restaurant in CA with a produce guy that goes to farmers markets 5 days a week.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

That is cool as hell. Congratulations!

The Maestro posted:

Great success with my cherry bourbon!

Probably about 20 lbs of cherries, washed and pitted by yours truly, and a case of four roses yellow label. Infused for between 1-2 months. Strained. Added demerara sugar to the cherries (at half the weight of the cherries - 10oz of cherries got 5oz of sugar). Agitated daily for 5 days until all the sugar dissolved. Now I have delicious intensely cherry flavored bourbon, amazing slightly boozy cherry syrup, and great preserved cherries. They shrunk a little but are still nice and firm.

I whipped up an orange oleosaccharum and made old fashioneds with cherry-orange syrup, peychauds, ango, and rye for a mad men themed album release party.

This looks great. I've got a related question: when you're doing an infusion that involves more sediment, how do you strain and filter it? I'm going through a coarse metal strainer, then a fine one, then a paper coffee filter. The paper filters clog up pretty quickly, though, so I have to either wait forever for the infusion to filter drop by drop or repeatedly change out the filter and generally babysit the process for a marginal speedup. I tried using an Aeropress, but it wasn't much better because the half-dollar-sized filters it uses clog up even faster. If I could justify the cost, I'd put together a vacuum filter setup, but that's really overkill for me screwing around at home. is there some obvious trick I'm missing?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

cheesecloth before your paper filter?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
:doh: I never remember that cheesecloth is a thing. Yeah, that would probably do the trick.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I guess I haven't done many infusions like that, or I just leave a little sediment. If I'm doing a shrub, yea it's a lot of work to get all the juice through the strainer. My usual technique for filtering infusions is a big mesh strainer, coffee filter, and a smaller strainer on top. The smaller strainer keeps the filter in place and also prevents too much clogging. Then I can dump it all in and go do other things while it strains.

I've thought of aeropress, but it's just too small. And you want to avoid plastic and alcohol - the alcohol will leech out any flavors that are in the plastic.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Alright guys, time for one of my favorite tricks. Head over to your local Asian market and buy the largest Thai tea filter you can find. Add liquid about half way, twist the bag to close it so liquid can't come out of the top. Squeeze away, rinse bag after a couple of times. Awesome for spice infusions, ginger syrup and anything else with hard to remove particles.

e: grab a couple, you'll use them for everything
e2: I used it for filtering citrus for draft cocktails as well

The Bandit fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 4, 2017

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I tried my hand at coconut milk Bailey's about two months ago. Coconut milk, demerara, vanilla, espresso, and rum. I think that was it.

It wasn't thick enough for my liking and rather than try to fix it I just ignored it in the back of my fridge.

It solidified. I had a guest today who wanted a dairy free cold brew cocktail (the very reason I tried it in the first place), so I pulled it out and tasted it. Still tasted great! I scooped some out, mixed in some vodka (per request), cold brew, and vanilla demerara, and shook the poo poo out of it. Man it came out great. I'm stoked. Super frothy head that lingered forever. Excited to offer Caribbean cold brew.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I've been roped in to making Punch for a work event in a couple of months, and I was planning on making Limmer's, but I've now been told I'm not allowed to use spirits. I was thinking of maybe making a juniper syrup and trying to do some kind of variation on the Limmer's, but if anyone has any advice/suggestions, I'd appreciate the help.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Not allowed to use spirits at all? That's pretty much out of Punch territory, and it's nearly out of Cup territory, since a Cup based on wine would do well to include a measure of spirits to keep up the pep. I'm not really sure how to execute a Limmers analogue -- maybe try to find white port, add a tiny bit of juniper tincture and orange blossom water, and then soda water? You could also try to base it on Lillet, I guess, which has a flavor profile that's amenable to a Limmer's-like treatment.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Yeah, I thought that it would be very difficult to try and manage. I will try and convince my boss to allow spirits in the office this once. And if not, then I'll start experimenting.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You could tell him that the punch you have in mind clocks in around 9% ABV, which is significantly lower than wine, which is presumably permitted. It's not like people will be doing shots.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

A rep is hooking me up with a Redemption Rye barrel on Sunday..... I've never aged any cocktails before ... I know I can go super basic and do a manhattan or boulevardier or something and it'll still be really tasty but I'd love to branch out a little bit. Anyone got experience barrel aging tequila? I've got a bottle of Tears of Llorona which tastes really loving good but that spends like 5 years in scotch/sherry/cognac casks and I'm looking for a shorter return on investment than that. Also, even though nobody can force me to, I assume the etiquette here is to use Campari America products in whatever I batch up but that stills leaves me with a ton of options

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I think a Left Hand with reposado tequila in a rye barrel would probably be great. Maybe toss in some coffee beans and/or cacao nibs.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Fuuuuuuuuck, yall. Spent $170 at the liquor store and picked up Clement coconut liqueur (a coconut liqueur made with rhum agricole! gently caress!), Smith and Cross Navy-strength rum, El Silencio espadin mezcal, St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram, and a bottle of Fernet to take with us on vacation next week. With all this tiki poo poo in the house at the same time I can feel some sort of intense power flowing through me. I just got home at 2am after closing the bar at work and did this:

1oz Smith and Cross
1/2 El Silencio
1/2 Wray and Nephew overproof rum
1/2 Appleton Estate 12yr
1/2 coconut liqueur
1 pineapple juice
3/4 lime
1/2 demerara syrup
1/4 allspice dram

and it is delicious in a way that heals and rejuvenates the spirit. I was at Service Bar in DC a few weeks ago and picked up the El Silencio because they were using it in some really creative ways and I was inspired. It's a really cool bottle, I'm looking forward to finding different ways to use it. And I'm thinking the allspice dram and Smith and Cross could make a real cool Jamaican-style Old Fashioned.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
So, I was recommending punches the other day, and while walking through the Limmer's recipe, I came upon a question I didn't have the answer to.

Why do you make a syrup with the Orange Blossom water, instead of just using more sugar and water then adding the Orange Blossom to the punch directly?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Good question. My guess, having never made the punch and without looking at the recipe, is quality control. Orange flower water is easy to over use. If you mess up the syrup, all you've lost is sugar and water. If you add too much to the punch, you're hosed.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
My other guess was it was due to the scalability of the recipe. It's written so that if you multiply by 2.5, it's for a 5th of gin, and 6 for a handle. You probably couldn't come up with an easily scalable measure for such a concentrated ingredient.

the recipe for those that don't have Kenning's master punch post bookmarked.

slut chan fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 17, 2017

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The Maestro posted:

Good question. My guess, having never made the punch and without looking at the recipe, is quality control. Orange flower water is easy to over use. If you mess up the syrup, all you've lost is sugar and water. If you add too much to the punch, you're hosed.

Yeah and it can take a few minutes to fully diffuse. You can add some to the punch, mix it in, and have it taste just right and then ten minutes later it's way overwhelming. Have absolutely hosed up a punch this way

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Essentially what everyone else said is correct. It maintains a scaleable recipe, it's easier to avoid ruining your whole punch, and frankly it makes it easier to dissolve the sugar, which would otherwise be a bit tedious.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Can we talk about white rum for a minute?

I had always shunned it in the past but recently picked up a bottle of Cruzan 'Aged' light rum and started making daiquiris and I'm a convert!

I need another bottle or two. Here's what I've got to choose from: https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/c/340/white-rum#productlist-filter

Maybe the Barbancourt? Any other suggestions?

angor fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 18, 2017

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

angor posted:

Can we talk about white rum for a minute?

I had always shunned it in the past but recently picked up a bottle of Cruzan 'Aged' light rum and started making daiquiris and I'm a convert!

I need another bottle or two. Here's what I've got to choose from: https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/c/340/white-rum#productlist-filter

Maybe the Barbancourt? Any other suggestions?

Plantation 3 Star is solid. Haven't had Barbancourt's white but I'd buy it if I saw it. Everything from them is always good. Wray and Nephew Overproof is fantastic also but a bit of an acquired taste.

Also there's an entire rum thread on this board, go check that out.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Made an old pal tonight with some fancy vermouth I got for cheap. drat, this is very tasty

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

Made an old pal tonight with some fancy vermouth I got for cheap. drat, this is very tasty

realized i never had one before so i just ordered one and drat this drink is tannic as gently caress lol. it tastes great but i need like a gallon of water now

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I love Old Pals. So ferociously dry.

As for white rum, holy poo poo those are expensive. Is that just because it's trying to ship it to me in the States?

I swear by Caña Brava. 3 year aged and filtered, full bodied and full flavored, makes a great mojito or daiquiri or whatever else I've done to it. I also pay about $22/L. 86Co lineup is solid across the board. Retail is probably $28ish/750mL.

I also like the Diplomatico lineup a lot. Their white is great too. I don't carry it and I can't remember what I would pay, but I love their Reserva Exclusiva and their Añejo (which is being rebranded/modified and is actually better and cheaper if I recall correctly - $15ish/750mL).

I like the Pampero aged, not sure about the blanco.

I think this thread will steer you clear of Flor de Caña because of labor practices. Look up "sangre de cañero." On that note, any other rums I should avoid?

I've taken Bulleit off my menu, and I just recently heard about the diffusion drama in the tequila world, but I'll be the first to admit I'm behind when it comes to things like that. I think we need a list of recommended spirits (which we do have), and a list of spirits to avoid (and why).

Edit: oh yea, Don Q Cristal. That's my well. It's decent enough I'd drink it at home, but I also bought it for $15/750mL at the store. It'll get lost in any cocktail application.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I dunno how easy it is to get outside of New Zealand, but Murderer's Bay white rum is pretty delicious. Quite sweet, but still reasonably smooth and almost a bit earthy.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

The Maestro posted:

As for white rum, holy poo poo those are expensive. Is that just because it's trying to ship it to me in the States?

It might be. I'm seeing the Cana Brava on that site for £26.45 which is $33.91. Is that close to what you're seeing?

A 750ml bottle of Bacardi costs just over $42 where I live. A litre of Smirnoff Red costs SIXTY FOUR DOLLARS. All about perspective, right? :D

angor fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 19, 2017

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Yea that's what I'm seeing. That's not too bad after all. I think it's just that the last time I paid attention to the pound:dollar rate was about 10 years ago when it was 1:2

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Maestro posted:

I've taken Bulleit off my menu, and I just recently heard about the diffusion drama in the tequila world, but I'll be the first to admit I'm behind when it comes to things like that. I think we need a list of recommended spirits (which we do have), and a list of spirits to avoid (and why).

I'm going to go ahead and play devil's advocate. It's very likely that a lot of what Hollis Bulleit claims is questionable at best, lies at worst. Diageo is consistently ranked among the most queer friendly companies in the world, and they would not turn a blind eye to a brand as large as Bulleit ( Which the Bulleit family no longer has any control over. They are brand ambassadors). The Bulleit brand was known for supporting Hollis' LGBTQ activism. There is at least one credible report of Diageo compiling evidence that many of the claims she's making are outright false. Obviously Diageo can't speak to the claims regarding family functions, but they can refute what she's claiming about her employment status within the company. If she's lying about that, how much credence should we give to the rest of her claims?

I can understand holding off on bulleit sales until diageo officially responds, but a lot of what Hollis Bulleit is claiming doesn't add up. This situation isn't nearly as cut and dry as the Flor de Cana one was.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 19, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Fart Car '97 posted:

This situation isn't nearly as cut and dry as the Flor de Cana one was.
Clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

I'm going to go ahead and play devil's advocate. It's very likely that a lot of what Hollis Bulleit claims is questionable at best, lies at worst. Diageo is consistently ranked among the most queer friendly companies in the world, and they would not turn a blind eye to a brand as large as Bulleit ( Which the Bulleit family no longer has any control over. They are brand ambassadors). The Bulleit brand was known for supporting Hollis' LGBTQ activism. There is at least one credible report of Diageo compiling evidence that many of the claims she's making are outright false. Obviously Diageo can't speak to the claims regarding family functions, but they can refute what she's claiming about her employment status within the company. If she's lying about that, how much credence should we give to the rest of her claims?

I can understand holding off on bulleit sales until diageo officially responds, but a lot of what Hollis Bulleit is claiming doesn't add up. This situation isn't nearly as cut and dry as the Flor de Cana one was.

Yea, I do agree. At this point it's too early to tell. But I'm separating Diageo from Bulleit - maybe the Bulleit family hasn't said anything because it's going to court, or maybe it's all true. The claims she made against her family, not the ones about her job, are the ones that really stick in my craw. Either way I still have like 10 bottles of each that I need to sell, and it'll still get called for if it's not actually on the menu. I do have a gay coworker and a gay owner and I think they appreciate the solidarity.

It's a sticky situation and maybe not one I should be involved in, but if I have the power to buy or not buy their whiskey, I'm going to not buy it for the time being.