Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

That feel when you do a long hard mission for a 5star weapon but forget to pick it up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

lil baby anime posted:

Anyone else with dw8 on pc get some weird rear end attack speed bug with velocity where it keeps randomly teleporting you backwards while you're pressing buttons?

I've never experienced this, even with Velocity 10 on some fast characters, but you're also not the first person I've heard complain about it.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Are the 5-6 star weapons able to be modified or is what you see what you get? Can't seem to do anything with the 2-3 star rares.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Chocobo posted:

Are the 5-6 star weapons able to be modified or is what you see what you get? Can't seem to do anything with the 2-3 star rares.

No tempering, fusion or anything like that, what you see is what you get, including being locked to Heaven.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Chocobo posted:

That's weird, I can Reforge, Temper, and Fuse all rares, including lower-level ones. What version is your game patched up to?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

They patched it so you can with 1.02

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So if I have a five-star weapon, and I picked up a six-star weapon, I can't actually get it because I already have one unique? Would I be able to get it again at some point if I sold the five-star weapon?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
There's a fusion option in DW8? All the blacksmith guy does is let me buy stuff. How do I unlock it?

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

There's a fusion option in DW8? All the blacksmith guy does is let me buy stuff. How do I unlock it?

Keep using facility materials on him. The facilities upgrade up to level 50, and fusion unlocks somewhere between 30 and 50, I don't remember exactly when.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Dead Man Posting posted:

So if I have a five-star weapon, and I picked up a six-star weapon, I can't actually get it because I already have one unique? Would I be able to get it again at some point if I sold the five-star weapon?

I'm pretty sure you can pick it up, given my Lu Bu got his six-star weapon while equipped with his 5 star weapon. Not sure about getting multiple five/six-stars though, which I tried once and the weapons didn't spawn, though apparently it's supposed to be possible.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
How are the gundam musou games if you're a fan of the more fluid OP:PW or sengoku basara style combat?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dead Man Posting posted:

There's nothing stopping you from having a copy of every unique weapon in the game besides your max inventory limit.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

T.G. Xarbala posted:

There's nothing stopping you from having a copy of every unique weapon in the game besides your max inventory limit.

Weird. Zhuge Liang's sixth weapon didn't show up after I picked up the treasure. I was using his five star weapon at the time. Granted, I died and reloaded a save after I picked it up, but still.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dead Man Posting posted:

Weird. Zhuge Liang's sixth weapon didn't show up after I picked up the treasure. I was using his five star weapon at the time. Granted, I died and reloaded a save after I picked it up, but still.

Did you save after picking the weapon up or before? If the former, it might be another interim save bug.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Did you save after picking the weapon up or before? If the former, it might be another interim save bug.

It was a bug. I just got it again though, pretty easy. Thanks anyway. There's no way to change affinity with legendary weapons (i.e. Heaven to Earth) with the DW8: XLCE?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dead Man Posting posted:

It was a bug. I just got it again though, pretty easy. Thanks anyway. There's no way to change affinity with legendary weapons (i.e. Heaven to Earth) with the DW8: XLCE?

These save bugs are pretty annoying, yeah.

You can change affinities, among many other things, with Weapon Fusion. It requires your Blacksmith in Ambition Mode to be level 40 or so and is sort of a revamped, more flexible and user-friendly version of the original weapon Tempering system, which I think unlocks at Blacksmith level 30.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Falcon2001 posted:

How are the gundam musou games if you're a fan of the more fluid OP:PW or sengoku basara style combat?

They have a sort of dash-cancel system where you can dash out of attack animations to reposition yourself or escape from enemy attacks. I tend to prefer them more than regular Dynasty warrior games, but then again I also think giant robots are cooler than ancient Chinese generals.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Samurai 4 improved on Gundam's thing by having a whole new set of attacks, just the same as the normal attack/charge attack system, but for long range movement. It doesn't work well on officers but is the best thing for getting through groups of soldiers.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Chocobo posted:

Zhang Jiao used to be sort of a joke character in the old Dynasty Warriors games, so I took my time getting around to trying him. I will never play another character, he is loving awesome. His Musuo are all insane, and his voice acting is great.

He is a pork among hams. :allears:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dramicus posted:

They have a sort of dash-cancel system where you can dash out of attack animations to reposition yourself or escape from enemy attacks. I tend to prefer them more than regular Dynasty warrior games, but then again I also think giant robots are cooler than ancient Chinese generals.

You're incredibly overpowered in DWG:R because you not only have near-infinite dash cancels, but you can also chain a charged shot at the end of any combo by holding triangle while doing the last hit of it. So you can do really really impossibly long combos. I'm pretty sure the damage drops off if you hold a combo like that too long though.

And it'd probably still be quicker to just second Musou anything in your way with most characters. Getting Domon's Second Musou basically made Mobile Armors go from giant annoying pains in the rear end to literally one-shot kills. You're PRETTY OVERPOWERED in DWG:R, but I still haven't unlocked the ability to set the difficulty to max stars. Maybe it'll balance out, but I'm not sure what exactly is left to get once you have that, besides a bunch of medals that require replaying a stage at higher star difficulty.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
The only thing I'm upset about with Reborn is that we still don't have the EZ-8, Alex, or anything from the Variations lines outside of Ridden's Gelgoog. C'mon Bamco, step it up for Reborn 2.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So is Reborn the one to get, or should I track down 2 or 3? I have not played a DWG game except for a demo of the first.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
How many G Gundam suits are available? Still just the two?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
No, now it's three. They added the Death Army in 3 :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

So is Reborn the one to get, or should I track down 2 or 3? I have not played a DWG game except for a demo of the first.

Get Reborn. The only one of the aerlier games that has anything significant over the later versions is DWG1 having the best story mode and it isn't worth going backwards mechanically for a few amusing cutscenes.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ImpAtom posted:

Get Reborn. The only one of the aerlier games that has anything significant over the later versions is DWG1 having the best story mode and it isn't worth going backwards mechanically for a few amusing cutscenes.

I liked 2 quite a bit due to having (extremely short but still there) story modes for each individual character. Gym Ghingham's was amazing. 3 has no real redeeming value to me, and I think, despite 4 having a lot of good gameplay improvements, I'd still put 2 above it. This is probably just nostalgia talking, however.

But yeah, for someone just starting off, either get Reborn if you plan on playing just one of them, or start with 1 or 2 if you plan on playing them all eventually, since going backwards would be rough.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's probably nostalgia. 2 had absolutely ridiculous amounts of (tedious) grinding and a lot of really bad mechanical decisions (such as the worst verison of Mobile Armors in the series). The only thing it really has going for it is a hilarious-as-balls dub.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
Which one was it that had the teamup quotes? Because Domon and Camille were just amazing.

"ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH, CAMILLE?!"

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ImpAtom posted:

It's probably nostalgia. 2 had absolutely ridiculous amounts of (tedious) grinding and a lot of really bad mechanical decisions (such as the worst verison of Mobile Armors in the series). The only thing it really has going for it is a hilarious-as-balls dub.

That dub was so amazing though. SO AMAZING.

I could listen to dub Domon all day. (GUNDAM FIGHT INTERNATIONAL TREATY ARTICLE 1: A UNIT WHOSE HEAD HAS BEEN DESTROYED IS DISQUALIFIED!)Dynasty Warriors really misses something when it's not dubbed in hilarious ways.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 30, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Yalborap posted:

Which one was it that had the teamup quotes? Because Domon and Camille were just amazing.

"ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH, CAMILLE?!"

Pretty much all of them.

"Yes. You beating on me has definitely made me more manly. Uh, I know that sounds weird.."

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i got the ability to reforge, do fusion and temper, and while it's obvious what they do, it's not really obvious how to use them without just pissing away resources. its like 2/3 of my total gems to add 1 attack to a weapon, and my blacksmith still isn't selling anything higher than tier 2 weapons. do t3+ only drop?

on top of this: are there specifically any good elements that I should be watching out for?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Verviticus posted:

i got the ability to reforge, do fusion and temper, and while it's obvious what they do, it's not really obvious how to use them without just pissing away resources. its like 2/3 of my total gems to add 1 attack to a weapon, and my blacksmith still isn't selling anything higher than tier 2 weapons. do t3+ only drop?

on top of this: are there specifically any good elements that I should be watching out for?

Cyclone's amazing and you should have 10 on every weapon.

If you want basic tier 3/4 weapons, go do story mode, or use the Special Weapon blacksmith option.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hoped Reborn would be less of a grind to 100% because there was no loyalty system but then I looked at the requirements for the cards, you'd probably need to play it for a million years to get them all.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Is there any reason to get the pc version if i've got the base game and the expansion on ps3?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Not really. Unless your computer can run the game at max settings at 60fps and that's something you feel you really need. Hell, on PS3 you will at least get the DLC. They say it's coming to PC, but I'll believe it when I see it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Kitfox88 posted:

He is a pork among hams. :allears:

His dying speech in the Wu and Shu scenarios in DW7 are a thing of beauty-he chewed the scenery so hard he choked to death on it. :v:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Verviticus posted:

Fusion is what you want to do, but don't bother upping attack power at first. What you want to do is stack attributes to 10, like Cyclone and Jubilation to load up extra damage on a 4th tier weapon.

If the blacksmith hasn't unlocked them yet (I'm not sure when it happens in Ambition mode) go to Story mode. If you've unlocked any of the later battles that have a blacksmith before you fight, you can crank up the difficulty to Ultimate and he should start selling better weapons. Buy what you want, save, then go back to Ambition mode.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

KoldPT posted:

Cyclone's amazing and you should have 10 on every weapon.

If you want basic tier 3/4 weapons, go do story mode, or use the Special Weapon blacksmith option.

I think Cyclone's pretty terrible, but not sure if you're playing DW8 vanilla or XLCE.

In DW8XLCE, you basically have two builds that like 95% of all weapons fall into:

1. Slash-Flash-Thunder + Jubiliation + Velocity (unless this weapon is fast enough already) + Your Choice (Thorns 10 for staggering attacks on Ultimate, Frenzy for damage, or I guess, Cyclone or something)
This build is for officers that have bad musous, self-buffs, or on weapons that easily proc elemental effects, great for crowd-clearing or taking down Unit Commanders. Pretty sure this is the build that ridiculous mounted Deng Ai/Lance thing uses.

2. Roar + Aggression + Flurry + Jubilation + Frenzy + Velocity
This build is basically meant to build meter and make your Musou incredibly effective (Aggression is really, really strong, Frenzy is really, really strong), and is probably technically the best for most officers unless they have terrible musous, or have self-buffs or some other hook. On Ultimate, you can often one shot non-playable officers with the right musou, and some good musous can straight up one shot playable officers too.

There are other builds for certain weapons, like I think Throwing Knives make really good use of Induction and stuff.

Don't spend gems on increasing attack damage on a weapon unless you're 1) already at 10 in all the traits you want, 2) doing it on a 5 or 6 star weapon (4 star weapon if you don't have the patch that lets you modify uniques). Increasing damage on weapons consumes gems really inefficiently, and a weapon without increased damage but 10 in all the right traits can still breeze through ultimate.

I tend to keep one of each type on most of my officers if I'm playing them for any length of time!

But as I mentioned before, even on Ultimate, DW8XLCE isn't so hard that you need to min-max, so do what you want.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone's dynasty warriors gundam pre-load started yet? It should have happened days ago, but now it seems like it will only be open to download on release day. Thats not what a pre-load is Sony!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Fauxtool posted:

Has anyone's dynasty warriors gundam pre-load started yet? It should have happened days ago, but now it seems like it will only be open to download on release day. Thats not what a pre-load is Sony!

Sony owns. They said preload starts on 6/26 but never put it up, then they said they'd put the game up at midnight tonight but it's still not up. I'm going to be up all night anyway so I guess I'll check at 12 PST but I'm betting it won't be up until tomorrow evening.